Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Gonna whine a bit here, but what sucks the most about Criterion Channel after using it semi-regularly is that they don't exactly have their poo poo together WRT accessibility. There's a bunch of movies missing captions or with mis-timed captions. Emailing support never really results into the issue being resolved in a reasonable amount of time, either.

For example, The Killing didn't have captions and asking about it didn't result into the captions actually getting uploaded, ever. Another time, I really wanted to see Symbiopsychotaxiplasm but it didn't have captions so I emailed support and was told that it'd take months for it to be fixed (never heard back about that). I realize it was probably a long shot in hindsight but the sequel had English captions throughout it when I skimmed it for a bit. :shrug:

Plus, it seems like captions are handled differently based on what device you use which adds a whole another layer to this problem. Still though, I'm going to keep paying for CC because it's an important platform and it has the movies I want to see right now, but the accessibility issues are just jarring in this day, moreso when other streaming platforms are usually on point with accessibility. I just don't have the time to email support every single time.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They really should have created their own streaming division instead of just farming it out to Vimeo.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I would kill to have an "Already Watched" signifier, anywhere. I'm still taking notes on my phone when I watch something.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You would think that after two years, the app versions would have decade/genre/country/director categories to browse through in addition to their monthly curation, like the browser version does, but nope. Any time I recommend it to someone they always are like 'how the hell do I browse this poo poo'? I miss the old Filmstruck navigation.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

rngd in the womb posted:

Gonna whine a bit here, but what sucks the most about Criterion Channel after using it semi-regularly is that they don't exactly have their poo poo together WRT accessibility. There's a bunch of movies missing captions or with mis-timed captions. Emailing support never really results into the issue being resolved in a reasonable amount of time, either.

For example, The Killing didn't have captions and asking about it didn't result into the captions actually getting uploaded, ever. Another time, I really wanted to see Symbiopsychotaxiplasm but it didn't have captions so I emailed support and was told that it'd take months for it to be fixed (never heard back about that). I realize it was probably a long shot in hindsight but the sequel had English captions throughout it when I skimmed it for a bit. :shrug:

Plus, it seems like captions are handled differently based on what device you use which adds a whole another layer to this problem. Still though, I'm going to keep paying for CC because it's an important platform and it has the movies I want to see right now, but the accessibility issues are just jarring in this day, moreso when other streaming platforms are usually on point with accessibility. I just don't have the time to email support every single time.

Right there with you. We use captions all the time not for accessibility, but to be able to understand dialogue through thick accents and muddy mixing. Besides some films not having captions, what really bugs me is the captions being almost plain white, and blending into bright areas. OTOH, Amazon Prime Video has size, colour, and black box options.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Criterion sucks with regards to accessibility.

Take their films that have English dialog and foreign language dialog, like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

The disc has subtitles, but only for the Japanese dialog. So if you need subtitles, you'll miss out on like 75% of the dialog. They're getting better, I think. But it's not a new problem for them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The app is an amazing pile of poo poo. Great content, bad everything else.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, "Currently Unavailable" means titles are either out of stock (common after their sales) or between pressings. Due to Covid, a lot of the early 2008-2010 Blu-rays were listed as such for a while, as well as a lot of titles in digipak cases. Zatoichi and Essential Demy were listed as such for a while before returning in print.

Here's all the Paramount licenses for those who care. I put an * next to titles that have been Criterion exclusives (no Paramount US DVDs).

2007:
If.... (DVD)*
Ace in the Hole (DVD)*
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (DVD)*
Days of Heaven (DVD) - OOP

2008:
The Naked Prey (DVD)*
The Furies (DVD)*
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (DVD)
White Dog (DVD)*

2009:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (DVD)*
Downhill Racer (DVD)*
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (DVD/Blu) - Actually produced and distributed by Paramount

2010:
Days of Heaven (Blu-ray) - OOP
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (DVD)* - incl. Underworld, The Last Command, and The Docks of New York - OOP [Blu-ray reissued in 2019]

2011:
If.... (Blu-ray)*
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (Blu-ray)*

2012:
Harold and Maude - OOP
Rosemary's Baby - OOP

2013:
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (Blu-ray)
Medium Cool
Seconds
Nashville (Dual Format) - OOP

2014:
Ace in the Hole (Dual Format)* - OOP [Blu/DVD editions still available]
Riot in Cell Block 11 (Dual Format)*
La dolce vita - OOP [Blu-ray still available in Essential Fellini, released 2020]

2015:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Blu-ray)*
Downhill Racer (Blu-ray)*
Don't Look Now - OOP

2016:
Nashville (Blu/DVD reissue) - OOP

2017:
Election

2018:
Ace in the Hole (Blu/DVD reissue)*
The Naked Prey (Blu-ray)*
The Virgin Suicides
Moonrise*

2019:
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (Blu-ray)*

2020:
The War of the Worlds
The Elephant Man

2021:
The Parallax View
The Furies (Blu-ray)*

Only ones I'd be particularly concerned about are The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Medium Cool, and Seconds. Election and The Virgin Suicides to a lesser degree.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cloks posted:

The app is an amazing pile of poo poo. Great content, bad everything else.

It’s all part of the gate keeping, my friend.

E: on an actual note, The Green Fog is awesome. Thank you to the person who posted The Heart of the World earlier. I think I’m a Guy Maddin fan.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 5, 2021

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Only ones I'd be particularly concerned about are The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Medium Cool, and Seconds. Election and The Virgin Suicides to a lesser degree.

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold just got announced as an upcoming Eureka release in May, but it doesn't seem like it's a new transfer:

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/the-spy-who-came-in-from-the-cold/ posted:

1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a restored high-definition digital transfer

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cemetry Gator posted:

Criterion sucks with regards to accessibility.

Take their films that have English dialog and foreign language dialog, like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

The disc has subtitles, but only for the Japanese dialog. So if you need subtitles, you'll miss out on like 75% of the dialog. They're getting better, I think. But it's not a new problem for them.

This has been an issue for ages and their response is something like "it's not a priority to fix".

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

. OTOH, Amazon Prime Video has size, colour, and black box options.

Meh I watched Ash is Purest White on Prime the other day and there was an entire scene missing subtitles. I also hate that it's not automatically turned on for foreign language films or scenes in English language movies that are in a foreign language (eg. nu-Suspiria)

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I bought the Rebel Samurai DVD set but none of the discs included have essay booklets, despite them being listed on the back of the cases. I already own the standalone Samurai Rebellion release and that includes a booklet. Does the box set just not have them for some reason or did I get an incomplete one?

Incomplete. There's a slim booklet for each film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh my god this set is incredible.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This has been an issue for ages and their response is something like "it's not a priority to fix".

:negative: If there was anyone in power who actually understood how irritating this experience is, I guarantee it'll rocket up the priority list. But whatever.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Oh my god this set is incredible.

Hot drat! That looks great!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:lol: some of the newly OOP titles are already going for $100 on eBay.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Essential Fellini is such a gorgeous box and I love how it mimics Criterion's laserdisc-era packaging. Only issue I really have is that it omits Ginger y Fred - the only Fellini feature not on Blu-ray, which would have been from Warner Bros. Really odd how they had space for a 16th disc and didn't bother.

I'm 2/3 though the Varda box and like the Bergman box, I've really grown to love her films. Highlights of the box have been The Creatures, Le bonheur, Vagabond, and Jacquot de Nantes.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Granted that the extras are worthwhile, but it wouldn't surprise me if Paramount is just going to turn around and release UHDs of at least Rosemary's Baby, Days of Heaven, and La dolce vita in the near future. Two of which have 4K masters.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I see Paramount already have new blurays of Days of Heaven and Rosemary's Baby coming in May. I wonder if they're new scans.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I see Paramount already have new blurays of Days of Heaven and Rosemary's Baby coming in May. I wonder if they're new scans.

Rosemary's Baby was already a 4K master, but Days of Heaven was 2K from 2007.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Spatulater bro! posted:

I figured this when copies of DoH disappeared from all the local stores in my area in a matter of hours.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I hope people who are buying these titles out of a compulsion to own every Criterion movie actually watch them, Days of Heaven is a movie that radically expanded my conception of what movies could be.

Malick's most recent movie, A Hidden Life, is one of my favorite movies of 2019 but Disney did their best to bury it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cloks posted:

I hope people who are buying these titles out of a compulsion to own every Criterion movie actually watch them,

Absolutely. I'm on a couple FB Criterion groups and it always pains me when someone shows their massive collection and admits they've only watched a small percentage of them. Or even worse you can see many of them aren't even opened :(

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I know personally I am a big Malick fan, I like all of his mixed-reception newer films and A Hidden Life was the last film I saw in the theater before the pandemic hit, which is something I appreciate more and more every time I see someone say theirs was the Sonic movie. I saw Days of Heaven on 35mm a few years back, too.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Mine was "Weathering With You" and I'm still mad. I saw dozens of films in 2019/early 2020 so i can't really complain though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I feel incredibly blessed that my last pre-covid in-theaters movie was The Colour of Pomegranates.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I feel incredibly blessed that my last pre-covid in-theaters movie was The Colour of Pomegranates.

My last movie was Sonic. :smith:

Some more modern titles are getting Criterion releases. Sound of Metal, One Night in Miami, and Time. I’m glad that streaming exclusive titles are getting physical release, but I don’t want Criterion to turn into a dumping ground for Oscar bait. On the other hand, I’m sure they’ll sell well and help fund overlooked films.
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1367898202016542729?s=21

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My last two were Uncut Gems and Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I feel lucky to have seen them both on a big screen just in time.

Scones are Good posted:

I know personally I am a big Malick fan, I like all of his mixed-reception newer films and A Hidden Life was the last film I saw in the theater before the pandemic hit, which is something I appreciate more and more every time I see someone say theirs was the Sonic movie. I saw Days of Heaven on 35mm a few years back, too.

A Hidden Life didn't do much for me but I do appreciate Malick's...how would I put it, 'workshop phase.' It's more miss than hit on a movie to movie basis, but for me Song to Song justified the experimentation, and Tree of Life is still a once in a lifetime flick. Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line , and The New World are some of my most watched films.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My last theater movie was Transylvania 6-5000 :suicide: and both of my regular non-multiplexes are about to just go away.

I miss going to movies so goddamn much

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My last film before these times was Onward, hated it

Guess I'll have to go to the library to watch the Paramount titles. Luckily, they have a sizable Criterion collection.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I think the last thing I saw in the theater was Rise of Skywalker, in Jan. 2020.

Had plenty of fun watching Zatoichi, Harold Lloyd, Joan Crawford, and bunch of Italian stuff, French stuff, and American noir (among other odds and ends) on CC since then. Plus Days of Heaven and One-Eyed Jacks on disc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I started quarantine/2020 thinking I’d actually end up watching more movies, but I quickly realized that it’s a really social thing for me and therefore not as much fun alone. My friends and I used to either go to theaters or each other’s places at least once a week to watch movies and obviously that didn’t happen last year after March, so I barely watched anything I hadn’t already seen last year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I started quarantine/2020 thinking I’d actually end up watching more movies, but I quickly realized that it’s a really social thing for me and therefore not as much fun alone. My friends and I used to either go to theaters or each other’s places at least once a week to watch movies and obviously that didn’t happen last year after March, so I barely watched anything I hadn’t already seen last year.

:same: It's not just about free time. The social aspect of film cannot be denied.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Quarantine has worked on my attention span somewhat, it’s a bit harder to consistently sit still, not look at my phone, etc.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

We watched A New Leaf the other night--it was hilarious.

This Sporting Life was amazing and reminded me a lot of The Hustler.

Never Let Go was a fantastic performance by Peter Sellers, but the main character was so unlikeable and unbelievable I not sure I can say I liked the film overall.

I've been watching a lot of the short films available as well. A lot them are really fun. Afronauts was cool. As well as Acid Rain (not sure if that's still available, but it's on Vimeo).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That’s very awesome.

Mine was Portrait of a Lady on Fire, which I’m also happy with.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

smallmouth posted:

This Sporting Life was amazing and reminded me a lot of The Hustler.

Don’t sleep on Lindsay Anderson’s other stuff, although a lot of it is more whimsical/magical realist than the grim neorealism of This Sporting Life. If.... is in the Criterion collection and is fantastic, and it’s semi-sequel O Lucky Man! is one of my favorite movies (I dunno if it has a blu ray release at all though - might have to track down the old dvd from like 2007 or use other means

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Threw on my new bluray of Matewan last night and, man, it was like I'd never seen it before. The transfer is a revelation. The cinematography is pretty much perfect, and the myriad great performances are that much more emotionally potent. There's nothing like it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

June releases announced

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1371495572159528963
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1371495748253126658

Pickup on South Street
Pariah
The Human Condition
Visions of Eight (8 short documentary pieces from the Munich Olympics)
Streetwise and Tiny: The Life of Erin Blackwell
The Signifyin' Works of Marlon Riggs (featuring Ethnic Notions, Tongues Untied, Affirmations, Anthem, Color Adjustment, No Regret, and Black Is...Black Ain't)

Great month, likely preordering that Marlon Riggs collection

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Streetwise is so good, and I didn't even realize there was a follow-up.

Maybe this will make me watch The Human Condition DVD set I have had for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ethnic Notions is pretty good. I'm curious about the rest of Riggs' films as I haven't seen those.