Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Today would be a good day for the Yankees to cut domestic abuser Domingo German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1367903409605648388

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got blitzed at a corporate outing to a St Paul Saints game a couple years ago. Everyone got a few free drink tickets and I knew all my teetotalling coworkers to hit up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is because red sox fans spent the entirety of the 1990s whining to ken burns from book-lined studies.

The White Sox didn't even get mentioned in the 10th inning!!!!!!

If he does an 11th inning there will be an hour on the Cubs and 5 minutes on the Giants.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1367913056135692289

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The only reason this isn't Brewers fans is because they got too drunk in the parking lot and never made it inside.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1367947455174643712

Whether you like the Angels or not, a healthy Shohei Ohtani seems great for baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Cheering for a team that has zero domestic abusers on it feels pretty dang good

Don't ask me about the Rockets (though they did release Boogie)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Poque posted:

The drunkest I've ever been at a baseball game was 100% at Comiskey so anecdotally it tracks

This is also true of me. I barely remember anything from Comiskey except those guys happy to share their booze and the giant brawl they started before I noped out of there.

Popete posted:

The only reason this isn't Brewers fans is because they got too drunk in the parking lot and never made it inside.

But this is also a story I can relate with.

I guess i got the authentic experiences.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Jose Canseco is spilling beans on twitter. Claims McGuire corked every game.

e: https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1368035338388668417

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I didnt get drunk at Comiskey, but I did drink enough that by the 5th inning I had to piss really bad. By the 7th inning I was in hell, so I finally went to the bathroom. Problem is I have a shy bladder and standing there with 100+ guys behind me waiting impatiently to piss funnily enough does not make it flow. So I bounced out of there ready to burst but being completely unable to. Then there was a 30 minute rain delay and the game went into extra! I tried once again after the game was over, but still no dice. Then I had a 40+ minute drive back home with my friend before I could finally end my nightmare. So now when I go to a game I wont drink a loving thing all day so as to never repeat that hell.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Jose Canseco is spilling beans on twitter. Claims McGuire corked every game.

e: https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1368035338388668417

Myth Busters did an episode on this and they found corked bats where actually detrimental. Probably why we haven't seen it since Sosa. It makes sense, you're losing barrel mass which is going to have a bigger negative effect for a power hitter than the benefit of swinging slightly faster.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Myth Busters did an episode on this and they found corked bats where actually detrimental. Probably why we haven't seen it since Sosa. It makes sense, you're losing barrel mass which is going to have a bigger negative effect for a power hitter than the benefit of swinging slightly faster.

I figured it could also affect the coefficient of restitution of the bat but I have no data. Not that Mythbusters is conclusive but also it's not unheard of for baseball players to do dumb things out of superstition.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I figured it could also affect the coefficient of restitution of the bat but I have no data. Not that Mythbusters is conclusive but also it's not unheard of for baseball players to do dumb things out of superstition.

basically every time I've seen someone actually test it, it's because they've talked to players who claim that there's a “trampoline effect" that balls bounce off of a corked bat harder or further or whatever better than they do off a normal bat. Basically every study has shown that this isn't the case, but it does make a bat lighter which can help you get better contact, although usually at the cost of power because heavier bat = harder hit ball.

conceptually if you have enough power to muscle it out consistently anyways, a lighter bat could help you square up more often and hit more dongs, but uh, so could just using a lighter bat.

EDIT: I will say that it is HILARIOUSLY baseball to cheat to secretly do something you can already do legally in corking instead of just using a lighter bat

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 6, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Considering the exit velocity revolution, has anyone tried making bats out of ironwood? It's really hard so you could clobber the gently caress out of a ball with it. There's a linear relationship between wood hardness and density, so a 36-ounce ironwood bat would be very skinny, but it might be worth it for the extra power.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chamale posted:

Considering the exit velocity revolution, has anyone tried making bats out of ironwood? It's really hard so you could clobber the gently caress out of a ball with it. There's a linear relationship between wood hardness and density, so a 36-ounce ironwood bat would be very skinny, but it might be worth it for the extra power.

Baseball Reference has this on the page for bats:

quote:

Although the rules regarding bats have scarcely changed since 1895, practical construction of bats has changed considerably. Players in the late 19th and early 20th Century commonly used bats that weighed 3 pounds or more on the theory that a heavy bat could hit the ball further than a lighter bat. Other players used much lighter bats, often made of relatively soft wood. A few players, most notably Heinie Groh, used "bottle bats" that narrowed abruptly from the barrel to the handle rather than tapering gradually.

Players have gradually adopted lighter bats on the theory that bat speed rather than weight is the key to hitting the ball hard. Hickory wood, once a favorite bat material because of its density and strength, has been completely abandoned as a material for bats. Most batters today use bats that are from 33-36 inches long and have a drop of -3, meaning that their weight in ounces is about three less than their length in inches. The bats used by Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds to break the single season home run record weigh almost a third less than those used by Babe Ruth when he set the same record.

Another recent trend in bat construction is the move from ash to maple wood. Maple is supposed to be more durable than ash, and players believe that it is harder and thus able to hit the ball further. The fact that Barry Bonds was among the first players to use a maple bat contributed to their popularity in the early 2000s. The greater hardness and durability comes at a cost in weight, so maple bats are often made slightly smaller in diameter than ash bats to keep their weight down. Maple bats have become controversial because of their tendancy to shatter in sharp shards when they break, posing an injury risk to spectators, players and umpires. There were calls to ban them in 2008, after a series of incidents in the early season. Yellow birch is another type of wood that has gained popularity among players; it is more flexible than maple, but harder than ash.

Seems like the question of hardness is answered by maple tending to shatter. If you get too hard with it and too skinny, the stress on the bat hits a point where the hardness is a liability more than a benefit. That's not to say people won't try in the future, but I would be surprised.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Diameter of the bat makes a big difference in how big the hitting area is also, so it isn't necessarily optimal to make a skinnier bat even if it is denser.

I think the optimal bat is the fattest barrel possible (which is limited by "rules") coupled with the densest possible surface layer plus the lightest possible swingweight. Obviously these are all kind of competing with one another, so you're seeking balance of all the factors. The best wood solution is probably something like a bamboo core surrounded by hickory or maple but I think that's against the "rules" also.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/1367959343556005888?s=19

Hell yeah

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

totally sustainable, Mariners 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

rickiep00h posted:

Seems like the question of hardness is answered by maple tending to shatter. If you get too hard with it and too skinny, the stress on the bat hits a point where the hardness is a liability more than a benefit. That's not to say people won't try in the future, but I would be surprised.
Maybe I'm misreading your post, or that quote, but I think "maple tends to shatter" doesn't mean "maple bats are less durable" but rather "maple bats are more durable, but when they do break they shatter sending pieces everywhere instead of ash which splinters and cracks."

I think size/weight is probably the biggest issue with going harder. Hickory is harder than maple and used to be common many decades ago, but fell out of favour due to weight, so it's not like players don't know harder and heavier bats are possible.

bewbies posted:

The best wood solution is probably something like a bamboo core surrounded by hickory or maple but I think that's against the "rules" also.
The rules say a single solid piece of wood, so yes a composite would be against the rules.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

totally sustainable, Mariners 2021

They're on pace for 97 ties in a full season. It's gonna be a weird rear end year.

Side note - What was up with this game?
https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=401288824

It's pretty lol Mariners to have a game called a tie after 8.5 innings with the M's due up.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Odorizzi to the Astros, two years (plus/counting?) a player option.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Tony Phillips posted:

It's pretty lol Mariners to have a game called a tie after 8.5 innings with the M's due up.

Don't clubs agree on no. of innings before the game?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Sure. Bold move for the M's to spot an opponent 3 outs though.

(Found the actual answer. Rockies ran out of pitchers so they called the game after 8.5)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

Diameter of the bat makes a big difference in how big the hitting area is also, so it isn't necessarily optimal to make a skinnier bat even if it is denser.

I think the optimal bat is the fattest barrel possible (which is limited by "rules") coupled with the densest possible surface layer plus the lightest possible swingweight. Obviously these are all kind of competing with one another, so you're seeking balance of all the factors. The best wood solution is probably something like a bamboo core surrounded by hickory or maple but I think that's against the "rules" also.

Barrel size actually doesn't matter as much as you might expect, the point of contact with the ball is a very small section of the barrel. Hitting above or below the middle of the barrel is going to result in weak contact (fly ball, ground out). Bigger barrels are mostly preferred because more mass at the end of the bat results in more power.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think size/weight is probably the biggest issue with going harder. Hickory is harder than maple and used to be common many decades ago, but fell out of favour due to weight, so it's not like players don't know harder and heavier bats are possible.

Yes, this is the point. Other woods have been tried and the harder bats are either too heavy or (arguably) too dangerous, so I would have to assume something harder would therefore be unlikely to be used.

There's a lot of unwritten rules/tradition, but if someone showed up with a (sustainably-/legally-sourced) rosewood bat and it was better, they'd be using it. Especially in a time when we can study the physics of things like the laces being almost imperceptibly flatter on the ball.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's lots of bat companies that have tried different woods Guayaibi, Beech etc. but really the only 3 in use are ash/maple/birch with maple being king and birch making some headway, ash is definitely falling out of favour.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I think what's being overlooked is that a lot of players are using axe handle bats and not axe bats

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I want to watch a baseball league where everyone uses these bats: https://youtu.be/Puo6Vgcbxps

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chief McHeath posted:

I think what's being overlooked is that a lot of players are using axe handle bats and not axe bats

Wood bat trends are funny because there really is only so much you can do given MLB bat restrictions to differentiate them and ultimately it's still a wood bat although non-MLB legal wood bats can get more creative in their construction. The big trend these days is funky knobs you see them as a big selling point.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Traxis posted:

I want to watch a baseball league where everyone uses these bats: https://youtu.be/Puo6Vgcbxps

I wonder how many pitchers would die

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I think they're agreeing on how many to play before they make a final call, there have been a couple of games where I think they've tacked on a half inning. Although maybe that would still count since it's generally just finishing the agreed-upon amount.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Javier Baez got hit by pitch yesterday and he just walked straight into the dugout done for the day. Apparently the Cubs just decided to end the inning after that despite having runners on and only 2 outs, I enjoy these ultra-lax spring training games.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DurosKlav posted:

I didnt get drunk at Comiskey, but I did drink enough that by the 5th inning I had to piss really bad. By the 7th inning I was in hell, so I finally went to the bathroom. Problem is I have a shy bladder and standing there with 100+ guys behind me waiting impatiently to piss funnily enough does not make it flow. So I bounced out of there ready to burst but being completely unable to. Then there was a 30 minute rain delay and the game went into extra! I tried once again after the game was over, but still no dice. Then I had a 40+ minute drive back home with my friend before I could finally end my nightmare. So now when I go to a game I wont drink a loving thing all day so as to never repeat that hell.
just sit in a stall and take your time friend

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
https://twitter.com/ShaynaRubin/status/1368324324025798658?s=19
interesting new mariners gimmick

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm reading that Forrest Whitley is still dealing with arm soreness which may be why the Astros went out to get Odorizzi

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Can't lose a tie!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm reading that Forrest Whitley is still dealing with arm soreness which may be why the Astros went out to get Odorizzi

Whitley is never going to reach the majors because he’s an absolute injury factory. It’s practically an art form with him.

Shoulda traded him a) when they had the chance and b) when the FO still pretended to give a poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Framber's injury is why they called Odorizzi, but Whitley is probably why they gave him a 2-year deal with an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cant finish with a losing record if your games never end in a definitive loser!