Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
wild. the white secretions give me pause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol yeah that really skeeved me out at first too

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

A local Hmong grocery posted that they got these fruits in, and apparently it's very popular with Hmong/Lao people.

Apparently it's txiv kub nyuj, or cow/bull horn fruit. They're kind of fascinating. The texture reminds me of unripe mango, or maybe a very crisp apple or celery without the strings. The flavor is reminiscent of granny smith apple and rhubarb, with a very dry, astringent finish.

After thinking on it and eating another one for breakfast, they definitely remind me of a super underripe crabapple in flavor and texture.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

After thinking on it and eating another one for breakfast, they definitely remind me of a super underripe crabapple in flavor and texture.

Mmm, sounds great. Are you sure it was ripe?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

Mmm, sounds great. Are you sure it was ripe?

I'm not sure if they ripen further, but the lady selling em said they are ready to eat, and the videos I've seen of ppl eating em, it looks pretty much the same as what I have.

It makes sense to me that its popular, a lot of Hmong dishes are to the extremes of flavor, there's gonna be dips and dishes that are insanely sour, or salty, or blow your rear end off spicy, and they're meant to be eaten in small amounts with piles of bland, like sticky rice and steamed or fresh veg.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm not sure if they ripen further, but the lady selling em said they are ready to eat, and the videos I've seen of ppl eating em, it looks pretty much the same as what I have.

It makes sense to me that its popular, a lot of Hmong dishes are to the extremes of flavor, there's gonna be dips and dishes that are insanely sour, or salty, or blow your rear end off spicy, and they're meant to be eaten in small amounts with piles of bland, like sticky rice and steamed or fresh veg.

I see. That does make sense. Interesting! I know literally nothing about Hmong food.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I love the name and shape of the fruit

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I highly recommend it if you ever find any. It's a great amalgamation of Lao/Cambodian/Viet/Thai foods

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I highly recommend it if you ever find any. It's a great amalgamation of Lao/Cambodian/Viet/Thai foods

Oh yeah, I’m always interested in new stuff and I love SE Asian food generally. That said I don’t really know Laotian or Cambodian food at all either.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it's probably unripe from a botanical perspective but when ripe it might be bland and mushy and thus nobody is gonna eat it then

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GWS General Chat: the white secretions give me pause

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

GWS General Chat: the white secretions give me pause

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

therattle posted:

Oh yeah, I’m always interested in new stuff and I love SE Asian food generally. That said I don’t really know Laotian or Cambodian food at all either.

I live near a little Laotian cafe and it's really tasty. My favorite thing there is this stew called Gang Naw Mai which is mostly pumpkin, mushrooms, and shredded bamboo shoots. It has this wonderful kind of velvety texture. I also love Gang Aw Lao which is another soup with lemongrass, eggplant, and tons of dill. I can't vouch for Laotian meat dishes but my wife adores the sausages they make there.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

There's a Laotian place near me and their sausages are incredible though I don't eat pork anymore so I haven't had them in a while.

Btw they have "laotian tea" which as far as I can tell/google is just thai tea. Is Laotian tea a thing?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It is when you drink it in Laos.

Serious answer Laos has all sorts of interesting tea, usually fermented varieties. But they don't really get outside of Laos as far as I can tell.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just got a kitchenaid mixer woooo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Mazel tov! We got one as a wedding present. I love it still

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

You should cream the poo poo out of some butter.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You should cream the poo poo out of some butter.

Looks like team cookies arrived before the bread gang or the stiff peak boys :negative:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
my mom tried to convince me for months to register for one when I got married and I was all like "I don't bake! I just need a hand mixer" and I think I'm still mostly right but also that I'm getting increasingly less right as time goes on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

my mom tried to convince me for months to register for one when I got married and I was all like "I don't bake! I just need a hand mixer" and I think I'm still mostly right but also that I'm getting increasingly less right as time goes on.

tbh if you don't do a lot of bread, eh. yes it's nice to let poo poo cream together and walk away but it's also not that big of a deal either

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mediaphage posted:

tbh if you don't do a lot of bread, eh. yes it's nice to let poo poo cream together and walk away but it's also not that big of a deal either

Spoken like someone with three hands for making buttercream with a hand mixer.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mediaphage posted:

Your experience is not universal however. I only got into bread recently and still adored mine before that. Yeah I know you are crazy into bread but it has a ton of appeal otherwise. :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use my mixer to mash/cream potatoes also and it works really well. On the off chance you don't just want to dump a kilo of sugar into your body in the next week.

e: if it didn't come with this guy you should pick it up. It's not ESSENTIAL but it's nice to use. And remember not to put any of these things in the dishwasher because the uncoated raw metal part at the top where it mounts reacts somehow and gets gross. Something to do with oxidization maybe?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 6, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Spoken like someone with three hands for making buttercream with a hand mixer.

i don't even know what this is supposed to mean

only tangentially related, however: stand mixers are great for those who aren't privileged enough to be physically able to handle a bowl or stiff ingredients like butter, whether that's due to limb losses, the elderly, etc.

Croatoan posted:

Your experience is not universal however. I only got into bread recently and still adored mine before that. Yeah I know you are crazy into bread but it has a ton of appeal otherwise. :)

has the forum really reached the point where every opinion must be preceded by "this works for me but may or may not be appropriate for others; please proceed with caution apace as ymmv"

note that op specifically talked about it in the context of not baking much

VelociBacon posted:

I use my mixer to mash/cream potatoes also and it works really well. On the off chance you don't just want to dump a kilo of sugar into your body in the next week.

e: if it didn't come with this guy you should pick it up. It's not ESSENTIAL but it's nice to use. And remember not to put any of these things in the dishwasher because the uncoated raw metal part at the top where it mounts reacts somehow and gets gross. Something to do with oxidization maybe?

one thing with these is to be very careful that it's hitting the bowl with the exact correct amount of force and no more; long term use of it being slightly off on mine stripped a gear and i've had to take my mixer apart to fix

some of their accessories are dishwasher safe on new models: but these are shiny stainless steel and should tell you. using the white powder coated ones are technically dishwasher safe but all the coating ended up peeling off on mine.

i like the kenwood attachments because they're just all stainless off the bat

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 6, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mediaphage posted:

one thing with these is to be very careful that it's hitting the bowl with the exact correct amount of force and no more; long term use of it being slightly off on mine stripped a gear and i've had to take my mixer apart to fix

Oh crazy. Were you using the bowl from a different mixer or was it not genuine kitchenaid or? Just wondering because I don't want to gently caress mine up.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Oh crazy. Were you using the bowl from a different mixer or was it not genuine kitchenaid or? Just wondering because I don't want to gently caress mine up.

it's probably totally fine and you won't need to worry about it, just bringing it up in case you hear any thwapping of the bowl or anything

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There are good videos of adjusting the whisk height too, for maximum aeration. Look up one that matches your model!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I use my stand mixer for loving everything. Meatballs? Stand mixer. Egg whites? Stand mixer. Bread dough? Stand mixer. If it can fit and it takes effort in it goes.

Though I do pasta dough in the food processor and pastry or biscuits by hand.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I use my stand mixer for loving everything. Meatballs? Stand mixer. Egg whites? Stand mixer. Bread dough? Stand mixer. If it can fit and it takes effort in it goes.

Though I do pasta dough in the food processor and pastry or biscuits by hand.

meatballs?????

i do pasta dough by hand mostly because the one i do is megastiff. i use a grater for doing pie dough and biscuits, though (for the butter).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mediaphage posted:

i don't even know what this is supposed to mean

only tangentially related, however: stand mixers are great for those who aren't privileged enough to be physically able to handle a bowl or stiff ingredients like butter, whether that's due to limb losses, the elderly, etc.

Just exactly that. Trying to make meringue with a hand mixer, then pouring in soft-ball stage sugar syrup and adding butter needs more hands than one person's issued with. :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Just exactly that. Trying to make meringue with a hand mixer, then pouring in soft-ball stage sugar syrup and adding butter needs more hands than one person's issued with. :)

or a silicone mat

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mediaphage posted:

meatballs?????

Anything that's aggressively mixed meat gets done with the paddle - kofta, meatballs, meatloaf. Why would I get my hands all covered in ground meat residue when I can just dump stuff in and flip a switch and then throw everything in the dishwasher?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

CommonShore posted:

aggressively mixed meat

I was under the impression that ground meat easily gets springy when aggressively mixed. Good for kofta or doner or similar but most like meatballs, burgers, even meatloaf more tender.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I was under the impression that ground meat easily gets springy when aggressively mixed. Good for kofta or doner or similar but most like meatballs, burgers, even meatloaf more tender.

depends on how well you develop the proteins in it. it could get springy, perhaps quickly, but if you’re fast it might be fine. some recipes call for beating in a mixer so much for meatballs and meatloaf you end up with a pâté texture which. ew.

it just seems like more stuff to clean for meatballs vs one bowl and one hand. i guess op must also use a scoop to form all the meatballs and not by hand.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Also too not every meatball wants to be the italian/italian-american meatball which is super tender. Lionshead for instance, or even swedish tend to be beaten to form that springy mixture.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Panade helps make them springy too

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Top tip: get a spare mixing bowl.

And the paddle shown above with the rubber blade is great, seconded.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Homemade marshmallows are also a good stand mixer choice because it’s easy and you’ll give them to people and they’ll be like wait what you can MAKE marshmallows? As though marshmallows are harvested from verdant fields somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Homemade marshmallows are also a good stand mixer choice because it’s easy and you’ll give them to people and they’ll be like wait what you can MAKE marshmallows? As though marshmallows are harvested from verdant fields somewhere.

Recipe please!

You’re joking about the harvesting part, right? Because you can harvest marshmallows? (Well, the plants)