Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deteriorata posted:

Faith is not an academic exercise that takes place inside your head. Faith should inspire you to love other people and help them get through life. Without that, your faith is pointless.

This is how I see it. Faith is not a quality but a way of life. Faith is an active thing that you live, not simply a set of beliefs.

https://i.imgur.com/E59WSh9.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bourricot posted:

I self-identify as a Reformed Protestant, but more due to heritage/cultural inertia than theological grounds (to be honest, I often struggle with some parts of Reformed theology).
I'd appreciate this thread insight on something that's been bugging me: I've been reading James 2 recently, and how do you explain sola fide next to James 2:17 "Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!" (and the next verses continue in the same spirit).
I keep thinking about it and I can't find a satisfying answer. So I welcome any and all viewpoints on the subject.

A good analogy I heard was:

You are stranded in a boat off the shore.

Sola Fide:
You are in a life raft. The only way back to shore is if the currents push you there and you are helpless to do anything about it. Just have faith you'll be saved.

Saved by works (I forget the exact term):
You are in a rowboat. You row to shore under your own power, and you are responsible for your own salvation.

The Catholic view:
You are in a sailboat. The Holy Spirit is the wind, and by carefully trimming the sails and keeping hold of the rudder you can make it back to shore. You are saved by God through cooperation with Him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Sola Fide:
You are in a life raft. The only way back to shore is if the currents push you there and you are helpless to do anything about it. Just have faith you'll be saved.

You are in a rowboat. You row to shore under your own power, and you are responsible for your own salvation.

The Catholic view:
You are in a sailboat. The Holy Spirit is the wind, and by carefully trimming the sails and keeping hold of the rudder you can make it back to shore. You are saved by God through cooperation with Him.

My belief, incidentally is:

You are in a life raft with a paddle You can and should make an effort to get back to shore, but you can't get there under your own power.

I believe in Sola Fide, but also believe that faith that is not lived is not faith.

https://i.imgur.com/Sf71u2P.mp4

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Bourricot posted:

I self-identify as a Reformed Protestant, but more due to heritage/cultural inertia than theological grounds (to be honest, I often struggle with some parts of Reformed theology).
I'd appreciate this thread insight on something that's been bugging me: I've been reading James 2 recently, and how do you explain sola fide next to James 2:17 "Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!" (and the next verses continue in the same spirit).
I keep thinking about it and I can't find a satisfying answer. So I welcome any and all viewpoints on the subject.

This is probably overly reductive but the mainstream Protestant take is usually that faith and accepting God's grace is what grants us salvation, but if we truly have saving faith then good works are a natural outgrowth of it. The good works don't "earn" you salvation, but if you're not doing good works your faith isn't very genuine.

Something like:

faith -> God's grace -> salvation -> good works as a natural consequence of that saving faith

Salvation is a product of faith alone, but good works are a necessary product of genuine faith.

What comes first, the saving faith or the good works?

edit: to try and match this with the boat analogy - you're in a life raft with a paddle and emergency rations. You're not going to get to shore by paddling, it doesn't make a difference against the vast ocean (of sin). But you want to survive, so you paddle anyway and eat/drink the rations because of your desire to live and reach safety. It's the right thing to do.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 4, 2021

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bourricot posted:

One thing to consider is that both Paul (we are saved by faith!) and James (faith without works is dead!) support their statements with the same verse about Abraham, "He believed, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness." Paul gives credit to the faith that informed and motivated Abraham's actions. James clarifies it by pointing out that he still acted on that faith.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The Catholic view:

My understanding of the Orthodox view is similar to this: we are constantly working out our salvation in cooperation with the holy spirit.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Also, the Orthodox likes boat metaphors as well--the Church is the new Noah's Ark, Christ is the captain, who helps the Saints with steering, and the canons are the Rudder.

Slimy Hog posted:

My understanding of the Orthodox view is similar to this: we are constantly working out our salvation in cooperation with the holy spirit.
You would be correct.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Deteriorata posted:

Faith is not an academic exercise that takes place inside your head. Faith should inspire you to love other people and help them get through life. Without that, your faith is pointless.

I like this take. Part of the reason I get so frustrated with the breed of Evangelical who argues for Bible literalism and "Bible-as-science" or historical fact is that they seem to be waging a war on the idea of faith itself. If you can prove something conclusively, it's no longer a matter of faith. It seems like, to this crowd, the idea of faith being mysterious is an insult.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Keromaru5 posted:

Also, the Orthodox likes boat metaphors as well--the Church is the new Noah's Ark, Christ is the captain, who helps the Saints with steering, and the canons are the Rudder.

first read this as "cannons" and was trying to figure out what Orthoboat is shooting at, maybe demons or something??

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

gregorian calendars

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

gregorian calendars

load the cannons with righteous shot and prepare to fire a broadside volley at the Filioque

and also instrumental church music

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

first read this as "cannons" and was trying to figure out what Orthoboat is shooting at, maybe demons or something??
There's an "Ark of Salvation" icon that depicts the ark being shot or stabbed at by various persecutors of the Church, though it doesn't show anybody shooting back. Older versions have Satan and the Whore of Babylon. More recent versions I've run across on Google include the Pope, Luther, Lenin, and of course, ecumenists. *ptui ptui*

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So what are the differences between the Orthodox churches? If someone was going to take Hey Guns' advice and become Orthodox how do they choose?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So what are the differences between the Orthodox churches? If someone was going to take Hey Guns' advice and become Orthodox how do they choose?

lol i am not even going to try and make a comprehensive reply to this post. "excuse me goon sire can you kindly summarize 2000 years of theology and geopolitics for me tia" haha

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hey Guns winning souls without even posting. It's a miracle.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

from what I recall,

They're supposed to be national churches (Russian, Greek, Romanian, Serbian, etc) but the patriarchs fight over who gets jurisdiction in the US. The differences between them are more political than theological. Each church is going to use its specific language and mostly be attended by members of that nationality/ethnicity.

Greek churches are more likely to have heretical "modern" "innovations" like pews and instrumental music.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Theologically, there's no difference. The style of worship varies a bit between Greek and Slavic, but it's still the same basic liturgy. The main difference is just which bishops that parish is connected with. The Greek Archdiocese is under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Antioch is under Antioch. ROCOR is under Moscow. OCA is autocephalous (self-governing), though originally under Moscow. At present, Moscow is out of communion with Constantinople, and I think that carries over to ROCOR, but I'm pretty sure it's just them. It shouldn't matter too much which jurisdiction you go with. In the end, I figure the community at that parish, including the priest, should be the deciding factor.

Beyond that, ROCOR tends to be the most rigorous. IIRC, you have to go to confession *every* time you expect to take Communion. In the OCA it's required only once a month, and in the Greek Church it's between you and your priest. Greek churches are probably going to be the most likely to use the original language, though every one I've been to has been convert-heavy and uses plenty of English.

In an ideal world, there would just be one American Orthodox Church, because under the canons bishops aren't supposed to have overlapping territories, but this is what we have.

quote:

Greek churches are more likely to have heretical "modern" "innovations" like pews and instrumental music.
Also this. Trust me, the hymns sound much better without instruments.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 5, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone else get spiritual feelings from reading Henry Bessemer's description of the moment he caused the industrial revolution?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Keromaru5 posted:

Theologically, there's no difference. The style of worship varies a bit between Greek and Slavic, but it's still the same basic liturgy. The main difference is just which bishops that parish is connected with. The Greek Archdiocese is under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Antioch is under Antioch. ROCOR is under Moscow. OCA is autocephalous (self-governing), though originally under Moscow. At present, Moscow is out of communion with Constantinople, and I think that carries over to ROCOR, but I'm pretty sure it's just them. It shouldn't matter too much which jurisdiction you go with. In the end, I figure the community at that parish, including the priest, should be the deciding factor.

Beyond that, ROCOR tends to be the most rigorous. IIRC, you have to go to confession *every* time you expect to take Communion. In the OCA it's required only once a month, and in the Greek Church it's between you and your priest. Greek churches are probably going to be the most likely to use the original language, though every one I've been to has been convert-heavy and uses plenty of English.

In an ideal world, there would just be one American Orthodox Church, because under the canons bishops aren't supposed to have overlapping territories, but this is what we have.

Also this. Trust me, the hymns sound much better without instruments.

This is correct though my experience with confession in the OCA is "it's between you and your priest" with my first priest giving rough advice to confess once every festal period.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Slimy Hog posted:

This is correct though my experience with confession in the OCA is "it's between you and your priest" with my first priest giving rough advice to confess once every festal period.

I can’t believe I don’t know/remember this: do the Orthodox have a concept of “worthiness” for the Eucharist? To put it another way, do the Orthodox recognize certain sins that makes one ineligible to take Eucharist until they confess them?

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 5, 2021

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I can’t believe I don’t know/remember this: do the Orthodox have a concept of “worthiness” for the Eucharist? To put it another way, do the Orthodox recognize certain sins that makes one ineligible to take Eucharist until they confess them?
Regarding worthiness: Informally, yes. For a long time a lot of Orthodox have practiced infrequent Communion, out of fear of profaning the sacrament. Officially, no. You're never "worthy" to partake of the Sacraments. The main private pre-communion prayer even has us praying for ourselves as the chief of sinners, so if anything, recognizing our unworthiness is exactly what makes us worthy. Fr. Alexander Schmemann especially fought against the idea of "worthiness" when he was alive.

I've seen advice that it's generally a bad idea to excommunicate yourself from the Eucharist. That said, while I'm not 100% positive what they are, certain grave sins do seem to require confession before receiving Communion. I have one book on Confession that quotes a Father as pointing to Murder, Adultery, and Idolatry as the big three. He connects them to the ruling of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts, where Christians are forbidden from food consecrated to idols (idolatry), adultery/fornication, and blood (murder). These tend to get the strictest penalties in the canons as well (though again, one should not be their own canon lawyer). Some people also abstain when they have an ongoing conflict with somebody. Also, breaking the Eucharistic fast without good reason.

That's as much as I'm aware of.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cythereal posted:

This is how I see it. Faith is not a quality but a way of life. Faith is an active thing that you live, not simply a set of beliefs.

I was having a discussion with a friend a few days ago that touched on this subject. Like me he was raised Christian but never felt what he considered Faith so he just sort of stopped believing because he thought he never really had. I explained to him that one of the things that lead me back to belief was that faith wasn't just some sort of emotion or state of being you had to feel before you could believe, sometimes you have to engage in the community, in study, in charity, etc. and that faith will come from such works (not that I was clever enough to call that behavior works at the time).

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I like this take. Part of the reason I get so frustrated with the breed of Evangelical who argues for Bible literalism and "Bible-as-science" or historical fact is that they seem to be waging a war on the idea of faith itself. If you can prove something conclusively, it's no longer a matter of faith. It seems like, to this crowd, the idea of faith being mysterious is an insult.

I read a Youtube comment where someone was arguing that Young Earth Creationism would be a violation of Free Will, since making it too obvious that the planet was hand crafted would mean there's no reasonable way to not believe the Bible.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Haha, no I was just curious.

I'll be confirmed and receive my first Communion in the Catholic Church this Easter.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

ThePopeOfFun posted:

well, dang, if we're winning souls in this thread, i need to step it up

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I appreciate everyone's input :)

In the spirit of Cythereal, here's a cool dog with a hat to thank you all:
https://i.imgur.com/TN87Ow7.mp4

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

White Coke posted:

I read a Youtube comment where someone was arguing that Young Earth Creationism would be a violation of Free Will, since making it too obvious that the planet was hand crafted would mean there's no reasonable way to not believe the Bible.
Would it?

I mean there could be eighty-four thousand obvious signs that all life on Earth was created by the Titans, save at the Cambrian revolution, where Zeus successfully overthrew his forebear and paved the way for multicellular life, pausing only to smite Prometheus and his favored children, the tyrant lizards.

But we don't know any better. It's the only planet we've examined at all closely, although we are working on Mars. We have evidence, at least, that other star systems have planets, now - but until very recently, possibly within the lifetime of I, forums poster Nessus, we couldn't even be sure about that, or at least not how common planets were.

And say we find or derive some key signs that life on Earth was created -- how do you know it was that narrative, not some other religion? (An interesting side note is whether or not "most accurate account of the Creation" would necessarily translate to salvific power.)

Now if you found something like "the human genome's introns include a section which, read as binary code, is the Hebrew text of the first four chapters of the Book of Genesis, give or take a small spelling error," yeah OK.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I read Sola Fida, Faith Only, as rejecting ceremonies that feel meaningless to you. As in IF a ritual helps your faith, GOOD! If a ritual feels like you are simply going through the motions, a chore to get over with as soon as possible, then said ritual is not helping your faith, and it is a sign you need to look elsewhere for a practice more suited to your faith or spirituality.

I fully respect Catholics, Orthodox, and others who find a lot of joy rituals.

But to me, EVERY meal should be communion, and I hope everyone will feel welcome at my table.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Sola Fide:

The Catholic view:

Faith as Ultimate Concern.

I am in the sea, whether on a lifeboat, rowboat or sail boat. That I am in the sea, means I think about being in the sea, even in the worst weather where I might lose hope, until I am not in the sea. All ships pale before the sea itself.

Separately open boat lost at sea is about the worst thing that one can experience.

Edit: I’d also add that the larger and more seaworthy the ship the more easily one can become unafraid of the sea, which is a dangerous mistake.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 5, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol i am not even going to try and make a comprehensive reply to this post. "excuse me goon sire can you kindly summarize 2000 years of theology and geopolitics for me tia" haha

*hauls out thick doctrinal book, blows dust off of it*

OK, let's see where you might fall out. Question #1: The Holy Trinity. Are you for or against this

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Bilirubin posted:

*hauls out thick doctrinal book, blows dust off of it*

OK, let's see where you might fall out. Question #1: The Holy Trinity. Are you for or against this

So Question #2 is whether Christ was born a man and granted Godhood or was right from the get-go, right?

Please answer in essay form and show your work.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

1: Who created humanity?
a) The one God of the Israelites.
b) Prometheus.
c) Some demiurgic idiot.
d) Aliens.

2: How many gods are there?
a) One
b) Three
c) A whole bunch
d) both a and b
e) both a and c
f) all of the above

3: Who was Jesus?
a) liar
b) madman
c) The organizer of Woodstock
d) Donald Trump's protege
e) The Son of God

4) Was Jesus divine or human?
a) Human
b) Divine
c) Yes

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Nth Doctor posted:

So Question #2 is whether Christ was born a man and granted Godhood or was right from the get-go, right?

Please answer in essay form and show your work.

Question 3: Rome is ____

a) Founded by the gods
b) Where Peter is
c) Constantinople
d) Babylon fart mouth

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Keromaru5 posted:

b) Prometheus.
c) Some demiurgic idiot.
d) Aliens.

a) One
b) Three
c) A whole bunch
d) both a and b
e) both a and c
f) all of the above

a) liar
b) madman
e) The Son of God

a) Human
b) Divine
c) Yes

A, A, E, C, but Jesus can also have C on question 3, as a treat. Guy deserves some time for hobbies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

b) Prometheus.
c) Some demiurgic idiot.
d) Aliens.

a) One
b) Three
c) A whole bunch
d) both a and b
e) both a and c
f) all of the above

a) liar
b) madman
e) The Son of God

a) Human
b) Divine
c) Yes
E (none of the above), F, C, C

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Keromaru5 posted:

b) Prometheus.
c) Some demiurgic idiot.
d) Aliens.

a) One
b) Three
c) A whole bunch
d) both a and b
e) both a and c
f) all of the above

a) liar
b) madman
e) The Son of God

a) Human
b) Divine
c) Yes

A, A, B*, A

*"Madman" has a pejorative connotation but I respect Jesus within the general trend of Jewish leaders who were enormously charismatic and spiritually gifted, to the point of stirring messianic fervor in both themselves and their followers (Bar Kokba, Nachman of Breslov, the last two Lubavitch Rebbes, etc.) From a lowercase-o orthodox Jewish perspective, the fault is entirely on his early followers who should've given up on him as Moshiach after he died without accomplishing the things Moshiach must accomplish.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 6, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nessus posted:

Would it?

I mean there could be eighty-four thousand obvious signs that all life on Earth was created by the Titans, save at the Cambrian revolution, where Zeus successfully overthrew his forebear and paved the way for multicellular life, pausing only to smite Prometheus and his favored children, the tyrant lizards.

But we don't know any better. It's the only planet we've examined at all closely, although we are working on Mars. We have evidence, at least, that other star systems have planets, now - but until very recently, possibly within the lifetime of I, forums poster Nessus, we couldn't even be sure about that, or at least not how common planets were.

And say we find or derive some key signs that life on Earth was created -- how do you know it was that narrative, not some other religion? (An interesting side note is whether or not "most accurate account of the Creation" would necessarily translate to salvific power.)

Now if you found something like "the human genome's introns include a section which, read as binary code, is the Hebrew text of the first four chapters of the Book of Genesis, give or take a small spelling error," yeah OK.

As a Youtube comment it didn't go into a lot of detail, but I figure the author thought there'd be more proofs of YAC, if it was true, than just the age of the planet, although the planet being exactly as old as the Jewish calendar would in itself be a rather compelling argument in favor of the Abrahamic religions. And why would DNA spelling out part of the Bible be more compelling than other signs that life was created?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

As a Youtube comment it didn't go into a lot of detail, but I figure the author thought there'd be more proofs of YAC, if it was true, than just the age of the planet, although the planet being exactly as old as the Jewish calendar would in itself be a rather compelling argument in favor of the Abrahamic religions. And why would DNA spelling out part of the Bible be more compelling than other signs that life was created?
You could have signs that humans, life, or Earth were created by an external force - for instance, if we found that humans had indicators of genetic engineering which we discovered by doing genetic engineering on other organisms, but that chimps and orangutans did not. Or if Earth's surface showed a great deal of regularity and uniformity in structure when compared with Mars or Venus. However, this would not necessarily be proof of a particular religious theory - it would not suggest that the Christian concept of God, or Allah, or Brahma, had been the one to actually do it.

However, something like having part of the Bible in all humans' DNA would be a very different story. That would be pretty hard to explain independently, especially since we were not aware of DNA's existence until significantly after the writing of the Torah.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

White Coke posted:

so we're getting our theology from youtube comments now? is that how the teens are doing it these days?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Unironically, yes. Often also YouTubers who don't know what they're talking about. Not a new problem by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so we're getting our theology from youtube comments now? is that how the teens are doing it these days?
Seanbaby wrote an article recently discussing someone who talked about getting drunk on the Lord - these things are inevitable I suppose.