Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just retcon it that they are land based now. A wizard did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Archonex posted:

You are severely underplaying what the Terrans were up to. Political manipulations and assassination's are not even half of what they were doing. This isn't them murdering some politician or journalist because they were inconvenient and wouldn't shut the gently caress up about how the murderous space faring killbots couldn't fly off the handle again. They were straight up murdering people and replacing them with spies that looked just like those people who would do what the Terrans wanted them to do. That isn't "political manipulation", it's a straight up Manchurian candidate-esque attempt at a covert defacto take over of the entire Community of Planets.

So yeah, the Terrans were engaging in some Manchurian candidate-esque shenanigans. Which is a justifiable reason to launch an attack on them. Where the Argon weren't justified was the Torus strike and the Terraformers being unleashed on Sol. The alternative to them declaring war and launching a surprise attack however would have been to just let the Terrans continue their covert ops until they give up or succeed and take over the countries and turn the entirety of the different species into a proxy state.

I mean, I don't think anyone is denying that what the Earth State was doing is not great, but it's still not genocide by any reasonable definition, which makes the Terrans by default less bad than the Argon no matter how you slice it.

Archonex posted:

Are they even planning on making Boron ships playable in Foundations? Last I heard they weren't certain how to make them able to walk around the stations since their ships are supposed to be filled with fluid, hence why their ships weren't available to begin with.

I distinctly recall there being official concept art for the game of a Boron dude in like a funky little exoskeleton that was just a fishtank with arms and legs, which might be Egosoft's way of getting around that in the game engine, but I cannot find it anywhere for the life of me.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Archonex posted:

Did they release the new Star Destroyer bridge yet? The screenshots they posted on their discord for the upcoming update looked cool as heck.

not yet but apparently that update is pretty close to releasing, theyre teasing it in the discord.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So is this playable with a controller yet or not really? Wanna try it again with the new dlc but being able to play on the couch would significantly increase my enjoyment I think

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

The Boron let Mahi-Ma out into the universe and caused a microchip shortage the commonwealth never recovered from

They too are pure evil

I have to wonder what the gently caress kind of hellish intelligence would emerge from dumping multiple times the known universe's productive capacity of printed circuitry into a solar siphon would create.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

So is this playable with a controller yet or not really? Wanna try it again with the new dlc but being able to play on the couch would significantly increase my enjoyment I think

Yoy can fly around and dog fight with the controller but you really need a mouse and kb for the empire management and station building stuff.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Crow posted:

The beta patch seemed to add even more controller functions to the map and such so it’s probably worth a try.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Archonex posted:

More apologia

You remember that part in Babylon 5 where Londo is like "how dare the Narns wrong us, they are the aggressors here with their expansionism" and then like five minutes later he's on the bridge of a ship blanketing the narn homeworld in asteroids and killing billions and it finally sets in on him how badly he hosed up?

This post made me think of that, not sure why, it is a mystery

PS re-detonate President's End

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
How do I get my builders to actually buy stuff? I tell them to build and provide them with money and they just kind of sit there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Travic posted:

How do I get my builders to actually buy stuff? I tell them to build and provide them with money and they just kind of sit there.

The station can be assigned ships to trade for build storage according to the purchase rules you set up, but just a builder ship alone has no capacity to go out and fetch stuff, it just puts up offers and NPCs will eventually come and supply it, but it can take a while for them to reach you.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You need to get a manager on a new station before you can assign traders though. I usually manually get enough materials there for a dock and then being a manager, then finally assign a few traders. Goes much quicker than waiting on NPCs.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I see. I built a refined metals factory and it took forever to get all the resources. Now I'm working on the PHQ. Can I assign a trader to the station and have it gather the stuff I need for research? Or do do I have to do that stuff manually?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yep if you have a manager that works fine, select the research item you want and the "recommended credits" slider will match the cost, and when given credits any traders/miners assigned will collect what you need.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

3 posted:

I mean, I don't think anyone is denying that what the Earth State was doing is not great, but it's still not genocide by any reasonable definition, which makes the Terrans by default less bad than the Argon no matter how you slice it.

See, that's where I have to disagree. There is no "less bad" when you consider what both sides were ultimately after. Both sides were despicable in that they were out to wipe out the other side. It's just that the Terran's started off fairly low key about it.

Just because the Terran's were trying to overtake the Community of Worlds in a way that would have minimal casualties does not make them that much better than the Argon. At the end of the day, with what little we know if the Terran's pursued their strategy to it's logical extreme the Argon state and her people wouldn't exist as an independent entity anymore. At best it'd be a proxy state controlled by the Terran's. Meaning an entire people who have diverged from the Terran's enough to become develop their own cultures and ethnic group end up losing their autonomy and voice to someone with no obligation to their well being. At worst Argon becomes Terran Expansion Region #____.

And that's not counting the rest of the nations implied to be having trouble. Either way, it doesn't end well.

Both had the same end goal: Eradication of the autonomy and will of the other. One went about it in a subtle way that minimized casualties with the implication that if that didn't work they were going to go full on genocidal space war on their rivals. The other just shat their pants in a blind rage over being told not to gently caress with the doomsday AI before realizing the person telling them this was running a massive Manchurian candidate op on them, hired a bunch of space mobsters that did some terrorism, then upped the ante of their douchebaggery even further by sending out a literal doomsday weapon reviled even by the ancients. The former was sly about it, the latter was over the top. Both were loving assholes hellbent on having their way to the exclusion of the well being of the other side.

Ultimately, everything about the war in AP is just a bit of fan wankery though. It'd probably have helped to have actually shown the Terran's trying to hijack the course of the other nation's in game rather than just giving us a tiny blurb about it being so nasty so we could see just how bad (or not, if it turned out that way) it was for ourselves. But that's probably outside the scope of what the devs can manage. :shrug:

quote:

I distinctly recall there being official concept art for the game of a Boron dude in like a funky little exoskeleton that was just a fishtank with arms and legs, which might be Egosoft's way of getting around that in the game engine, but I cannot find it anywhere for the life of me.
I remember hearing about this. Not sure if it was a rumor, but it seems the way they're likely to go. The other problem is that their ships are very much not compatible with the other species. So unless they just empty them out of water/whatever they breathe and keep them in the exosuits it seems like it'd be a challenge to implement them.

Psycho Landlord posted:

You remember that part in Babylon 5 where Londo is like "how dare the Narns wrong us, they are the aggressors here with their expansionism" and then like five minutes later he's on the bridge of a ship blanketing the narn homeworld in asteroids and killing billions and it finally sets in on him how badly he hosed up?

This post made me think of that, not sure why, it is a mystery

PS re-detonate President's End

The fact that you don't understand the difference between the word apologia and someone pointing out that minimizing casualties in a hostile take over does not make you good either is very amusing, if not a bit worrying.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 6, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yep if you have a manager that works fine, select the research item you want and the "recommended credits" slider will match the cost, and when given credits any traders/miners assigned will collect what you need.

Spiffy. Having played X3 (and not gotten too far) X4 seems waaaay more user friendly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The map interface is absolutely amazing once you get used to it, it basically turns the whole game into an RTS almost if you want it to. And certainly it is an improvement over the horrible menu interface in X3.

The system whereby you can just assign ships to stations in a couple of roles and they figure out what to do on their own is nice too, although sometimes it doesn't do what you want it to, this can sometimes be solved by throwing more ships at the problem so the manager isn't reliant on good prioritization and can assign ships to do many tasks.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Oh yeah. When I set up my refined metal factory I found I could just select miners and click "Mine for Commander" and boom. Automated miners dedicated to that station.

Hats off to you Egosoft. Well done.

...Autopilot's still garbage though.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Archonex posted:

Just because the Terran's were trying to overtake the Community of Worlds in a way that would have minimal casualties does not make them that much better than the Argon.

w h a t

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Archonex posted:

The fact that you don't understand the difference between the word apologia and someone pointing out that minimizing casualties in a hostile take over does not make you good either is very amusing, if not a bit worrying.

Lol

Buddy,

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Like just to be absolutely clear here, this is what the Earth State did during the Terran Conflict:
  • Tried to stop the Commonwealth from building the genocide robots
  • Assassinated and replaced Argon politicians to prevent them from building the genocide robots

And here's what the Argon Federation did:
  • Did turbo 9/11 on the Torus, killing millions
  • Hurled a metric fuckton of Terraformer drones at the Solar System, killing potentially billions and convincing the Ancients to shut down the gate network before these idiots do any more damage to the rest of the universe

And you're saying these two are exactly the same morally

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the new map was awful in X4 tbh, menus were ok but in both games I can never quite do what I actually want and have to approximate it

quote:

Both sides were despicable in that they were out to wipe out the other side. It's just that the Terran's started off fairly low key about it.

Just because the Terran's were trying to overtake the Community of Worlds in a way that would have minimal casualties does not make them that much better than the Argon.

Lmao

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*dissertation on terrorism, genocide, and AI morality*
Anyway in preparation for the Argon/Terran war you should assign a manager to your station and they will manage material purchases to build it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Terrans rule argons drool, imo. Terrans build torus, invent accelerators, build infrastructure across whole solar system, huge stations, beautiful ships, elegant weaponry. argon does nothing, all they know is make AGI, eat meatsteak cahoona, and lie.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Terrans rule argons drool, imo. Terrans build torus, invent accelerators, build infrastructure across whole solar system, huge stations, beautiful ships, elegant weaponry. argon does nothing, all they know is make AGI, eat meatsteak cahoona, and lie.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

My favorite part of whatever the gently caress this is is it somehow started from "man everyone in X is dicks but the Argon especially so kinda weird that AP didn't acknowledge that" and now we're at moral relativism RE foreign state interference vs biome killing your homeworld via terrorism

Anyway bring back the Hub Egosoft, I wish to connect to Kingdom's End

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It is a little weird to me that there hasn't been any indication whether or not the systems in X: Rebirth are ever going to link back up with the main network, especially since Omicron Lyrae and Home of Light are pretty significant sectors in the X Universe.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Wait are the rebirth systems actually not in 4? That's... an odd choice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No, unfortunately, they went for a more X3 style of system design. I think personally that was a bit of an overcorrection because the Rebirth systems were really nice looking and interesting but I think they parsed the complaint about their highly structured nature with the highways as a criticism of the aesthetics too.

Split Vendetta adds in some more advanced sector backgrounds but they still haven't reached Rebirth levels.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That's lame, one of the only things I liked about Rebirth was the sector setup outside of those two starter areas.

At least they kept the badass new Xenon aesthetic.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

and so we begin, with a trusty E-Wing.

shits expensive, a basic miner is like 800k so im going to grind out some missions in this to get 1, and then hopefully passively get more money from there.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

How is the star wars mod?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

3 posted:

w h a t

Assassinating people and replacing them with hosed up sci-fi replicants or whatever they were supposed to be is wrong, yes. Doing it to take over the country and control what it does (Not just stop the production of AI. They were explicitly described as trying to control the other nations via proxies.) is also wrong. These are objectively evil things to do, the latter of which is a narrative cliché reserved for really over the top B movie tier sci-fi villains. Just because the Argon were also acting like over the top sci-fi villains of a different sort with the genocides and terrorist attacks doesn't mean that the Terran's weren't doing some evil poo poo themselves that was pretty vile and reprehensible.

Like, holy poo poo, I know here in real life "actually, both sides are bad" is used by lovely people to justify lovely things. But the story literally out and out says that both sides were doing bad things with no ambiguity about it. That was the point of the story. It was why things were so hosed up in the narrative. If you can't get this you are [i[literally[/i] missing the point. It's just that one set of assholes turned out to be right in the long run about the whole AI thing.

Psycho Landlord posted:

My favorite part of whatever the gently caress this is is it somehow started from "man everyone in X is dicks but the Argon especially so kinda weird that AP didn't acknowledge that" and now we're at moral relativism RE foreign state interference vs biome killing your homeworld via terrorism

Anyway bring back the Hub Egosoft, I wish to connect to Kingdom's End

No one said this, and you and one or two other posters keep making up lovely strawmen and poo poo posting to avoid dealing with the actual details of the thing you keep wanting to reply to.

OwlFancier posted:

No, unfortunately, they went for a more X3 style of system design. I think personally that was a bit of an overcorrection because the Rebirth systems were really nice looking and interesting but I think they parsed the complaint about their highly structured nature with the highways as a criticism of the aesthetics too.

Split Vendetta adds in some more advanced sector backgrounds but they still haven't reached Rebirth levels.

Wasn't there also issues with path finding during parts of Rebirth? I remember stories about the highways being on and off hilarious death traps depending on what the devs patching the game did to them on the back end. Ditto for some the systems causing the AI to glitch out too for some reason. Probably also would explain more simplified X3 style systems since even being close to a station still makes the AI occasionally stutter or poo poo the bed and freeze up.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 6, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Saul Kain posted:

insanely well done. has a fuckton of ships

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

queeb posted:

insanely well done. has a fuckton of ships

As soon as that Star Destroyer bridge drops, I won't be able to resist its siren's call.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Saul Kain posted:

The amount of detail they've put into it so far is insane.

To give an idea of it, they've not only got pretty much all of the notable ships in, many of them have full fledged interiors that blow the vanilla game out of the water. The Millennium Falcon for instance has it's entire interior, complete with even small details like the room they're playing space chess in in the original trilogy. Pretty sure it also has some of the stuff that only really shows up in the lore too, like a smuggling compartment. On top of that, it's huge compared to your average X series ship interior. It makes me wish we had some sort of in ship co-op so people could man the turrets during a fight.

Even stuff like the TIE fighters have lots of neat details on the inside. And aside from all of this there's accurate weaponry, new nations to replace the old ones, and even more esoteric stuff like the Death Watch, bounty hunter's, and other similar things you wouldn't expect to see in Foundations.

I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about it. Even bugs like the "can't damage some ship's subsystems" thing have been acknowledged and are steadily being patched out.

If I absolutely had to to stretch to find something that I didn't like then i'd say that their new weapon classification system is confusing at first glance and requires reading their manual since it seems like the weapons on offer are a lot more complex. But even it's such a minor complaint that I can't really say it factors into my assessment of it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 6, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

just feels so cool zipping by star destroyers

edit: they also have a hyperdrive thing going, wher eyou get a charge up and then instantly boost to max speed, my E wing is like ~7km/s instantly after a short windup.

queeb fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 6, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Archonex posted:

No one said this, and you and one or two other posters keep making up lovely strawmen and poo poo posting to avoid dealing with the actual details of the thing you keep wanting to reply to.

Psycho Landlord posted:

It isn't that the Terrans are nice guys here but holy poo poo the Argon are loving monsters and AP trying to paint them as otherwise was really weird.

Hmmmmm

queeb posted:

and so we begin, with a trusty E-Wing

Now it's been a hot minute since I read those bad star wars books and I have since moved on to other, worser books, but weren't E-Wings extremely not that adjective :v:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 6, 2021

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Archonex posted:

Like, holy poo poo, I know here in real life "actually, both sides are bad" is used by lovely people to justify lovely things. But the story literally out and out says that both sides were doing bad things with no ambiguity about it. That was the point of the story. It was why things were so hosed up in the narrative. If you can't get this you are [i[literally[/i] missing the point. It's just that one set of assholes turned out to be right in the long run about the whole AI thing.

My dude, no one said the Terrans weren't bad, but you started this whole conversation by saying, and I quote:

Archonex posted:

Both sides were extremely genocidal and evil.

and then you started shifting the goalposts immediately the moment someone pointed out that the Terrans had never committed a genocide either in the games or in the X-Encyclopedia. For some reason you've taken incredible offense to people (rightfully) pointing out that while no one in the conflict is unambiguously good, the Terrans are objectively less evil than the Argon Federation. Like, I don't know why this is even a debate, it's very clear that the one side of the war that committed ultramurder and continued to commit ultramurder is the worse side.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The Something Awful Forums > General > Games > X4: Foundations - Fifty Shades of Space Murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm a firm believer that locking the X4 timeline behind super tedious lockbox puzzles is pretty stupid as most of the lore is in there but very few people that play these games actually know it because it's never shown in-game.