Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

American McGay posted:

*using my 2015 MacBook Pro and it's kinda slow sometimes*

drat they really need to come out with a faster MacBook!

If the last Macbook they came out with was in 2017 and they hadn't dropped the price at all, that comparison would make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, taking ages between releases and not dropping the price is a pretty standard Apple way of doing business. Every so often they change that up (the bloody Mac Mini I bought last year) but ask any Pro owner.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah, I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with wanting Apple to release something newer, especially if you want to play games on it. Telling someone to just buy the slightly less old one is silly when it's still a lot slower than the phone they were already playing it on.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've had a 4th gen Apple TV since late 2016ish and I only just found out today I can hold down the "TV" button on the Siri remote to bring up a menu where I can put the Apple TV and the TV itself to sleep. Lmao.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m sure it’s not specific to ATV but holy poo poo is it annoying when apps randomly decide to sign you out and make you re auth.

Especially when you are in the middle of watching something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I’m sure it’s not specific to ATV but holy poo poo is it annoying when apps randomly decide to sign you out and make you re auth.

Especially when you are in the middle of watching something.
That's just Crunchyroll being garb. On top of going down every Sunday because of a new Attack on Titan episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They all do it, and they do it at the most inconvenient time. And yeah, across all platforms from what I’ve seen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

AppleTV 32GB 4K slashed down to $ 149 on Amazon today.

Insert 'THE NEW APPLETV IS COMING!!@@!@!' rumor here

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

AppleTV 32GB 4K slashed down to $ 149 on Amazon today.

Insert 'THE NEW APPLETV IS COMING!!@@!@!' rumor here

pls tim. my family, they're dying

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

M1 Apple TV pls. Kthx.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

teagone posted:

M1 Apple TV pls. Kthx.

Why? That would be overkill for what it's for. It's already running an ARM SOC.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

M1 Apple TV pls. Kthx.
No I don't want to pay $250 for a video streaming app box.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why? That would be overkill for what it's for. It's already running an ARM SOC.

For the games!!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

For the games!!!!

This is no joke though. The M1 is legit great for games.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only reason they would update it is to get better economies of scale on components they're using in other products. Apple has never actually given a poo poo about games other than getting 30% of IAPs and $5/mo for Arcade. They are pretty good at pretending to care about games but I've been watching this dance for 30 years. They don't even make their own controller.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

They don't even make their own controller.

Not sure why they would bother when other companies make some of the best you can buy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

This is no joke though. The M1 is legit great for games.

Yeah, totally wasn't joking. I'd happily continue my stupid Apple Arcade sub if it meant higher quality games developed for the M1.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kid put the apple tv remote inside the couch where you can't get it out unless you cut it open. Using a phone as remote works better than the actual hardware lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

qirex posted:

The only reason they would update it is to get better economies of scale on components they're using in other products. Apple has never actually given a poo poo about games other than getting 30% of IAPs and $5/mo for Arcade. They are pretty good at pretending to care about games but I've been watching this dance for 30 years. They don't even make their own controller.

They're rumored to be making their own stupid rear end VR headset.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

They're rumored to be making their own stupid rear end VR headset.

They were also rumored to be working on their own glasses they don’t have a camera but they use LDAR for stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just let me have xCloud on the AppleTV and I will buy an M1 version (overkill for xCloud though)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My Apple TV brilliant idea: support for webcams, so you can use Zoom on it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sonatinas posted:

my kid put the apple tv remote inside the couch where you can't get it out unless you cut it open. Using a phone as remote works better than the actual hardware lol.

This is the single reason I hate the remote being so skinny.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone know how to whitelist video service providers? I’m trying out some ad blocking software on my router, but it’s causing the PBS AppleTV app to fail playback. It tries to play a pre-roll ad, fails, and then errors out of the entire video feed and jumps back to the UI with an error. If I turn off as blocking it works fine. So I’d like to just turn on ads with this feed but i have no idea what to whitelist.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That’s gonna depend entirely on how your adblocking software works. If it’s something like pi-hole, it will give you a real-time list of all DNS queries and if anything is blocked. You can then start the video and view the list, see what gets blocked and then whitelist that domain.

It’s it’s some in-house implementation on your router it’s gonna get more complicated.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Violator posted:

Does anyone know how to whitelist video service providers? I’m trying out some ad blocking software on my router, but it’s causing the PBS AppleTV app to fail playback. It tries to play a pre-roll ad, fails, and then errors out of the entire video feed and jumps back to the UI with an error. If I turn off as blocking it works fine. So I’d like to just turn on ads with this feed but i have no idea what to whitelist.

Interesting. I literally just watched stuff on PBS kids with my kid and it worked fine. I run NextDNS at the router with a bunch of blocklists.

Now that I think about it though, I toss PBS $6 a month because it’s public television and they need my money more than most.

I think paying for PBS means I don’t get ads maybe?

Violator
May 15, 2003

FCKGW posted:

It’s it’s some in-house implementation on your router it’s gonna get more complicated.

Yeah, it's built into the router. What I might try is loading the content on my computer and nettoping it to see if I figure out what to whitelist.

rufius posted:

Now that I think about it though, I toss PBS $6 a month because it’s public television and they need my money more than most.

I think paying for PBS means I don’t get ads maybe?

Yeah, my wife pays the $6 too but for some reason there were still ads. I'll try it again and see (this issue initially popped up the afternoon she ordered it) and maybe it's fixed with better caching or something on their end or a reboot on my end.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Funny that Netflix shows are searchable in the TV app, include the episodes lists, but can’t be added to Up Next, and when you click “open in Netflix” it actually does a title search instead of linking directly. What half integration is this?

Violator
May 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

Funny that Netflix shows are searchable in the TV app, include the episodes lists, but can’t be added to Up Next, and when you click “open in Netflix” it actually does a title search instead of linking directly. What half integration is this?

Netflix won’t integrate into the TV app themselves I’m guessing for competitive reasons, so I guess Apple is doing what they can to get at least a little bit of it into the TV app.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

To integrate with the TV app your platform’s viewing metrics get recorded by Apple and Netflix will not abide by that. It is dumb and bad and I’m getting to the point where Netflix will go on my “sign up for a couple months at a time to catch up” app rotation. It’s the most expensive service of all of them and I don’t use it as much.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

qirex posted:

To integrate with the TV app your platform’s viewing metrics get recorded by Apple and Netflix will not abide by that. It is dumb and bad and I’m getting to the point where Netflix will go on my “sign up for a couple months at a time to catch up” app rotation. It’s the most expensive service of all of them and I don’t use it as much.

Same. I went months without using it but the mrs still does so I gotta keep it. Part of it is the impact of the content providers rolling their own platform, but a lot of is the Netflix 'originals' themselves aren't that great for the most part.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Somehow Netflix has all the terrible CW series like Vampire Diaries and they have endless seasons so we have to keep it in our household.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

smackfu posted:

Somehow Netflix has all the terrible CW series like Vampire Diaries and they have endless seasons so we have to keep it in our household.

Same but for true crime, ugh

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got a pair of Sonos One SLs that I plan on pairing with an ATV. If I have the sound output go to Sonos via Airplay, is there an audio lag like there is going from phone to ATV?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've got a pair of Sonos One SLs that I plan on pairing with an ATV. If I have the sound output go to Sonos via Airplay, is there an audio lag like there is going from phone to ATV?
You may be able to synchronize them in the settings, I know you can with Homepods but I don't know if that's true for any old Airplay device. If it can't do that there will definitely be lag. A Sonos Beam via ARC would probably work better for not much more money.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

qirex posted:

You may be able to synchronize them in the settings, I know you can with Homepods but I don't know if that's true for any old Airplay device. If it can't do that there will definitely be lag. A Sonos Beam via ARC would probably work better for not much more money.

That’s my setup on our living room TV (plus Sub). This, however, is for a bedroom TV for watching after the kids go to bed, so going lower budget.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That’s my setup on our living room TV (plus Sub). This, however, is for a bedroom TV for watching after the kids go to bed, so going lower budget.

Wait for the Beam to go on sale ? I think it was $300 during the holiday season. It probably doesn’t usually go down that much, but if it does that’s only $100 more than a Sonos 1.

I’m terrible with Sonos though, my answer is always but another unit. It at least all works overall pretty well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

qirex posted:

ATV has Wireless Sync, but it involves an iPhone and has no manual settings fwiw.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210526

I don't know if there's another way of handling it beyond that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Wait for the Beam to go on sale ? I think it was $300 during the holiday season. It probably doesn’t usually go down that much, but if it does that’s only $100 more than a Sonos 1.

I’m terrible with Sonos though, my answer is always but another unit. It at least all works overall pretty well.

Yes, between Sonos and Hue, another unit is always my goto as well :v:

ufarn posted:

ATV has Wireless Sync, but it involves an iPhone and has no manual settings fwiw.

I don't know if there's another way of handling it beyond that.

Ahh this looks like exactly what I would need. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ufarn posted:

That's pretty slick. It's kind of a shame Apple will never make a television because it seems like they have standing solutions to a lot of the problems TVs have.