Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Khablam posted:

It should be little surprise, but it's worth mentioning your target profile is somewhat smaller than a large global social media site containing a treasure trove of personal information. The actual risk of an open port to a user-domain program is vanishingly small.

The penalty for error is cryptolocker on your network. I choose to not take that risk. I don't suggest others do either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given that MacOS still doesn’t seem that high a priority for malware people, I think I’ll keep using plex like I have done for 10 or so years.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

H110Hawk posted:

The penalty for error is cryptolocker on your network. I choose to not take that risk. I don't suggest others do either.
The part of my post you cut out explains why malware that spreads this way hasn't been a thing since the worms of the early 2000s, and even then the target was unpatched windows running local admin accounts, not random user land apps in a post UAC era.
By all means don't forward system ports and RDP, but you really can play a game, run a torrent app, plex or one of 1001 reasons to open a port and not expect digital armageddon.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

32400 is wide open here baby 😊

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a Plex honeypot on 32400 where every movie and TV Show above a 7 rating is listed and it just streams Rebecca Black music videos when you play.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

I have a Plex honeypot on 32400 where every movie and TV Show above a 7 rating is listed and it just streams Rebecca Black music videos when you play.

Invite please

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFOcqsnc9Y

As long as it's not this horrifying version she just put out

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, it’s quite impressive she put something out that looks more dated than the original somehow.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I assume the answer is something like "not any more", but is there a way to adjust audio delay with Plex Media Player? A specific show has a slight--but annoying--constant audio delay (in this case, mouths move and the audio is shortly after it). I'm more or les confident that it's the files themselves, since it's just this one show, is constant from beginning to end (it doesn't vary or worsen over time) and occurs on the PC where the files are located locally (so nothing to do with video quality or streaming over networks).

It looks like there's an option when you "Enter TV Layout", where you can press a combo of buttons to increase or decrease audio delay, but I'm curious if there's some way to do this from the standard Plex Media Player interface because it seems weird that the option would be available in the TV Layout but not in the standard PC layout.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I assume the answer is something like "not any more", but is there a way to adjust audio delay with Plex Media Player? A specific show has a slight--but annoying--constant audio delay (in this case, mouths move and the audio is shortly after it). I'm more or les confident that it's the files themselves, since it's just this one show, is constant from beginning to end (it doesn't vary or worsen over time) and occurs on the PC where the files are located locally (so nothing to do with video quality or streaming over networks).

It looks like there's an option when you "Enter TV Layout", where you can press a combo of buttons to increase or decrease audio delay, but I'm curious if there's some way to do this from the standard Plex Media Player interface because it seems weird that the option would be available in the TV Layout but not in the standard PC layout.

I don't know, but it looks like you can fairly easily adjust this in the files themselves with ffmpeg: https://superuser.com/questions/982342/in-ffmpeg-how-to-delay-only-the-audio-of-a-mp4-video-without-converting-the-au

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know, but it looks like you can fairly easily adjust this in the files themselves with ffmpeg: https://superuser.com/questions/982342/in-ffmpeg-how-to-delay-only-the-audio-of-a-mp4-video-without-converting-the-au

Oh interesting, I'll have to check this out. Thanks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

THF13 posted:

I keep sonarr/radarr behind nginx reverse proxy and protect it with basic auth/fail2ban.
I use the swag (previously letsencrypt) docker container which does essentially all of that for me.

Do you have this in a stack? If so can you post it with your credentials obviously taken out. I've been trying to get swag set up to be able to access this stuff outside of the home but I've had no luck.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do you have this in a stack? If so can you post it with your credentials obviously taken out. I've been trying to get swag set up to be able to access this stuff outside of the home but I've had no luck.

I'm using unraid which dumbs things down to just a template, but here is the docker run command it generates if that helps.
code:
docker run -d --name='letsencrypt' --net='proxynet' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'EMAIL'='email@email.abc' -e 'URL'='domain.abc' -e 'SUBDOMAINS'='wildcard' -e 'ONLY_SUBDOMAINS'='false' -e 'DHLEVEL'='4096' -e 'VALIDATION'='dns' -e 'DNSPLUGIN'='cloudflare' -e 'TZ'='America/New_York' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'EXTRA_DOMAINS'='' -e 'STAGING'='false' -e 'DUCKDNSTOKEN'='' -e 'PROPAGATION'='' -p '81:80/tcp' -p '444:443/tcp' -v '/mnt/disks/bin/appdata/letsencrypt':'/config':'rw,slave' -v '/mnt/disks/dldisk/SwagTmp':'/var/lib/nginx/tmp':'rw,slave' 'linuxserver/swag'
Some potential common issues:
- I've seen a lot of people set this up properly and think it's not working because they are testing internally and haven't configured hairpinning/Nat Loopback on their router.
- 80/443 are already being used on this host so I have container 80/443 mapped to host 81/444 to avoid a conflict, then on my router I redirect incoming 80/443 to 81/444 of the host.
- I use DNS validation so I can use a wildcard, I found the subdomain based reverse proxies (sonarr.domain.abc) work more reliably than subfolder ones (domain.abc/sonarr)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

THF13 posted:

- 80/443 are already being used on this host so I have container 80/443 mapped to host 81/444 to avoid a conflict, then on my router I redirect incoming 80/443 to 81/444 of the host.

Sounds like you need some macvlan in your life. Gives you a easy, host-isolated method of getting a fresh set of ports (and ip) for everything in one go! I may have had to make the macvlan network, I forget and am terrible at automation.

pre:
$ docker network ls -f name=macvlan0
NETWORK ID          NAME                DRIVER              SCOPE
587294475cac        macvlan0            macvlan             local
Then my yaml file:
pre:
---
version: "2.1"
services:
  unifi-controller:
    image: linuxserver/unifi-controller
    container_name: unifi-controller
...snip...
    networks:
      default:
        ipv4_address: 192.168.1.9
...snip...
networks:
  default:
    external:
      name: macvlan0

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is it possible to set Plex up with different languages for different users? On Netflix my wife uses Korean and I use English. When she logs in with her account the menus and everything are in Korean, but when I choose mine everything is English. I would like to do the same in Plex. Is it even possible?

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 10, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I have PIN access on my main account and add friends as Home users in order to share the Live TV function, is there any major downside? I'm guessing for the ones who have their own server too it's best to add a second account as that might cause issues for them?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
On top of having to sign in people manually (on every device they want to) Plex themselves specifically cite their PIN system as not being account security. Most PIN systems in existence are pretty trivial to bypass.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lol yeah my 9 year old watched me input it into the appletv and then just shouted out the code. Dunno why I even have it enabled.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Such a dumb implementation. It literally shows the number selected for a second.

Amazon had a weird pattern thing on the Fire tv that at least made an attempt.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah with these people I'm not concerned with the security aspect so much, the PIN probably just saves someone accidentally logging into my account and messing up my On Deck. I can't even remember why I have the PIN enabled now... I have it auto login anyway on all my personal devices.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm only now realizing how terrible playing anything with rear end/ssa subtitles on plex for android is (nvidia shield tube). And by terrible I mean "it can't do it"

What solutions do I have? I looked around but it seems like I'm boned unless i'm using another subtitle format.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

forest spirit posted:

I'm only now realizing how terrible playing anything with rear end/ssa subtitles on plex for android is (nvidia shield tube). And by terrible I mean "it can't do it"

What solutions do I have? I looked around but it seems like I'm boned unless i'm using another subtitle format.

Newer subtitle software can re-save the subs as srt, or you can find srt files elsewhere. You don’t even need to remux them, you can have them in the same folder with same filename as the video file and Plex will associate them.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I use Subtitle Edit for all my subtitle needs.
It can convert between formats, remove Hearing Impaired tags, adjust time and a lot of other things.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Speaking of subtitles - is there a database website anywhere that tells you whether foreign dialogue in a movie is supposed to have subtitles or if it's intentionally non-subtitled?

It's happened more than once where I'm watching a movie that has an extended sequence with foreign dialogue, and I stop the movie to try to find my missing subtitle file only to discover that that segment wasn't meant to be subtitled.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Those subtitles are usually tagged with FORCED and would only contain the foreign parts of the dialogue.
Most subtitle websites only distinguish between SDH and Non-SDH.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Speaking of subtitles - is there a database website anywhere that tells you whether foreign dialogue in a movie is supposed to have subtitles or if it's intentionally non-subtitled?

It's happened more than once where I'm watching a movie that has an extended sequence with foreign dialogue, and I stop the movie to try to find my missing subtitle file only to discover that that segment wasn't meant to be subtitled.

I’ve found forum threads and the like where people compile lists but they’re nowhere near exhaustive, and exceptions can creep in, like there are a few movies I can think of where the US DVD/Blu-ray has the English text baked-in but international (sometimes even Canadian) releases don’t.

The best bet I’ve found is to get AMZN or similar webrip files, as those are always baked-in if needed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
My solution, such that it is, is to select hard of hearing subs when that happens. They're usually commonly available. In such a section they'll label it just as [SPEAKING IN SPANISH] or similar.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a best practice way to allow Live TV/DVR for remote users? I've got a buddy that's thinking about adding a tuner to his setup and it appears the only way I can let him putter about with my tuner is to make him a home user.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Scroll up a bit as we just covered this briefly. To much annoyance Plex removed the sharing to non home a while back, and then fixed the bug that allowed it to happen still after it was noticed. Which just isn’t cricket, really.

I’m having problems with locast2plex so my little setup is on hold right now until I can write up some logs and work out what’s up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Best guess anyone has is that sharing live streams to non-home users was too likely to get negative attention from broadcasters.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

I had the opposite happen to me once. I was watching the second Thor movie through entirely legitimate means and there's a scene where the aliens are all just talking to each other. There weren't any subtitles and I felt that Marvel was just being incredibly bold with that choice. Then I found out later that that whole scene is a huge info dump with subtitles that I completely missed. I actually prefer it without though, haha.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I know this is the plex thread, but my testing with dvr has been so inconsistent with plex that I tried ChannelsDVR and I really like it. Using iptv and TVeverywhere and it’s super polished.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Does anybody know how to fix this stupid issue with TVDB claiming Beavis and Butt-head season 8 is season 9 (a season that doesn't even exist)? I see a lot of people complaining about it on the TVDB forums, but it has never been fixed. This causes it to show up wrong in Sonarr and Plex. It also probably means when season 9 finally does come out this year I am going to be hosed on actually getting it.

How can I manually fix this?

univbee posted:

You basically can't (at least not in an official capacity) without running the special Enterprise LTSB/LTSC versions of it. Because people were frequently disabling updates to avoid any sort of bother, a lot of nasty viruses were able to proliferate despite the exploits they relied on having been fixed several months prior, and users would then immediately blame Microsoft for Windows being insecure. Because of this, Microsoft changed course and now forces update installation and reboots on most versions of Windows 10 because the "nice" way wasn't working. You can postpone updates to a certain degree (with increasing allowances if you're running Win10 Pro or Enterprise, and further still if you're running a Windows Server to manage the updates going to the networked machines) but not indefinitely, and you generally have to do the postponements manually.

Sand Monster posted:

What is the secret to prevent Windows 10 from restarting? It seems like the active hours setting allows you at least to prevent it in a specific window, but I'm unsure outside of that.

I researched a ton of different options and this one is the best:

https://www.joe0.com/2019/10/17/how-to-prevent-windows-10-auto-restart-new-instructions-oct-2019/

Using that, I still get updates automatically. The only difference is my computer will never reboot on its own. When I manually reboot once every ~6 months for whatever reason, all the updates install perfectly. It's the best of all worlds.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Best guess anyone has is that sharing live streams to non-home users was too likely to get negative attention from broadcasters.

It's not the best idea to share live TV anyway since even the best of tuners out there only have like 4 tuners at a time. Share that with one person and you're pretty close to your limit if even 2 people use it at once.

Khablam posted:

The part of my post you cut out explains why malware that spreads this way hasn't been a thing since the worms of the early 2000s, and even then the target was unpatched windows running local admin accounts, not random user land apps in a post UAC era.
By all means don't forward system ports and RDP, but you really can play a game, run a torrent app, plex or one of 1001 reasons to open a port and not expect digital armageddon.

Is there a good list of system ports? I want to make sure I don't have anything stupid open for one of my oddball programs like Calibre server or Nvidia Gamestream.

edit: this is the list of the ports I have forwarded on my network:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 18, 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there a good list of system ports? I want to make sure I don't have anything stupid open for one of my oddball programs like Calibre server or Nvidia Gamestream.

edit: this is the list of the ports I have forwarded on my network:

There's a standardized list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers
You shouldn't be delaying security updates 6 months. Under any circumstances but least of all on something you're exposing to the internet.
If you want/need long-term uptime, use linux. Abusing a desktop OS into trying to be the same thing is fundamentally wrong.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 18, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

You shouldn't be delaying security updates 6 months. Under any circumstances but least of all on something you're exposing to the internet.
If you want/need long-term uptime, use linux. Abusing a desktop OS into trying to be the same thing is fundamentally wrong.

I really do genuinely appreciate the concern but I don't think what I am doing is all that uncommon; if it were there wouldn't be a Windows version of the Plex server software. I was exaggerating a bit when I said I go 6 months without rebooting; I was just trying to drive home how great the fix I posted was for Windows users and the annoying random reboots.

For me to switch to Linux I would have to:

1) buy all new USB hard drive enclosures, of which I have 3 containing a total of 17 hard drives
2) completely set up SABNZBD, Sonarr, Radarr, and Plex, all over again
3) learn a new operating system instead of the one I've been using since I was 13
4) reconfigure my entire home security camera recording setup (I am willing to be Wansview does not have a Linux program)
5) lose access to all of my PC games that I play over NVidia Gamestream

this is just to name a few. I also have been running this sort of setup for the better part of 8 years now and have had zero security issues, even when I stupidly had the RDP port forwarded for a good 3 of those years (I used to want access to my server while I was at work, but I realized how dumb that was and turned it off).

I mean yeah there's a chance that tomorrow I eat crow and get hacked but I keep passwords on anything that is internet-facing (sabnzbd, sonarr, radarr, calibre, etc.) and so far so good. :shrug:

anyway how do I fix Beavis and Butt-head

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 18, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The bulk of what you think you need to do there is totally unnecessary, but okay, I get not wanting to learn a new OS/learn to use a hypervisor.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I really do genuinely appreciate the concern but I don't think what I am doing is all that uncommon; if it were there wouldn't be a Windows version of the Plex server software. I was exaggerating a bit when I said I go 6 months without rebooting; I was just trying to drive home how great the fix I posted was for Windows users and the annoying random reboots.

If you only have one machine, then by all means don't bother to use Linux. There's fundamentally no reason to use your fix at all, however. Like if you're going to sit down and play a game, go grab a beverage of choice and hit reboot. It'll be done when you're back. It's only version upgrades that take more than 3minutes any more.
For instance, here's a no-user interaction required RCE in defender that's being actively exploited from January - https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/en-US/vulnerability/CVE-2021-1647

At the very least don't tell others to apply the "solution" you found on a lovely blog, because people with your mentality is the cause of nearly all modern security issues.

brains
May 12, 2004

1) buy all new USB hard drive enclosures, of which I have 3 containing a total of 17 hard drives
2) completely set up SABNZBD, Sonarr, Radarr, and Plex, all over again
3) learn a new operating system instead of the one I've been using since I was 13
4) reconfigure my entire home security camera recording setup (I am willing to be Wansview does not have a Linux program)
5) lose access to all of my PC games that I play over NVidia Gamestream

this is just to name a few. I also have been running this sort of setup for the better part of 8 years now and have had zero security issues, even when I stupidly had the RDP port forwarded for a good 3 of those years (I used to want access to my server while I was at work, but I realized how dumb that was and turned it off).

I mean yeah there's a chance that tomorrow I eat crow and get hacked but I keep passwords on anything that is internet-facing (sabnzbd, sonarr, radarr, calibre, etc.) and so far so good. :shrug:

anyway how do I fix Beavis and Butt-head

if you want to use windows that's your prerogative, but if you're running an internet-facing windows installation you need to keep it up to date because it's not just a threat to your own services, it's a potential bot in a botnet. there are easy ways to ensure services autostart on reboot on windows systems; look into those, test them out, and turn on windows update.

also, if you want to avoid the pains of setup/installation/maintenance for all those services (including plex), i'd recommend containerization through docker or similar. that way you have easy, hands off updating using watchtower or ouroboros, as well as easy migration if you ever want to change or upgrade OS (including to win server, not just linux). having passwords on services is not enough, they need to be updated and patched.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

At the very least don't tell others to apply the "solution" you found on a lovely blog, because people with your mentality is the cause of nearly all modern security issues.

What are you talking about? The poster literally asked for a way to stop Windows from force rebooting and I showed them how to do it lmao. gently caress me for helping them.

I'm not sure why you had to throw in some dickwaving jab at the blog for no reason too. That's the guide I followed, and it worked perfectly. With that solution I get Windows updates, AND I can reboot whenever I'm ready, instead of when Windows decides.

Me not wanting Windows to reboot in the middle of my kids watching Peppa Pig or while it's recording Dateline isn't the "cause of nearly all modern security issues." Terrible guides that tell people how to disable updates probably are, though. And those are the most prevalent guides out there, sadly.

brains posted:

if you want to use windows that's your prerogative, but if you're running an internet-facing windows installation you need to keep it up to date because it's not just a threat to your own services, it's a potential bot in a botnet. there are easy ways to ensure services autostart on reboot on windows systems; look into those, test them out, and turn on windows update.

I don't turn Windows update off. I turn off the thing that causes Windows computers to reboot without being asked.

If anything my suggestion was way better than the one recommending they set up the internet as a metered connection, where you'd never get an update ever again.

Edit: in fact, as I said before, the reason I dug up that guide for the poster was because the internet is absolutely filled to the brim with terrible advice on how to get Windows to stop random reboots, and most of them involve turning off updates using gpedit or blocking Microsoft's connection. So I actually went out of my way to re-find that guide so they could get updates just as often and as normal, but without the random reboots.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Run a Windows Server version :shrug: