Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Animal-Mother posted:

In my headcanon, Mark Henry's hand son grew up to become the Smackdown fist.

Still more real than the lone survivor baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSro4l_0cE

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Look at the size of that lad. Absolute unit.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

oh poo poo, i've just realised that i didn't share my favourite wrestling fact of all time:

in the run up to that trump wrestlemania appearance where he takes the lovely stunner, they did a big storyline on raw where it was announced that donald trump had bought ownership of monday night raw from vince mcmahon and a bunch of golden trumpbux fell from the ceiling, yadda yadda (very obviously a storyline, and entirely on the tv show). the original plan was to for that to be a big ongoing storyline between the two of them to build the match, but suddenly the next week it's announced that vince mcmahon has had a big freakout and bought it back for double what trump paid for it

the unofficial reason they changed that was because the loving stock price immediately tanked after the trump announcement

that implies two things

1) vince mcmahon, two-time failed owner of the xfl, is considered a significantly smaller business risk than donald trump
2) institutional wall street investors do not realise that the things that happen on a pro wrestling show are pretend and that kane did not kill the undertaker's parents in a fire

Hahahahahahahaahhaahaahahahahahahahah oh my God

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Royal Updog posted:

raven's a problematic dipshit but relative to most wrestlers he had about two more layers of self-awareness

https://youtu.be/-yUGi2X42sQ

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Animal-Mother posted:

In my headcanon, Mark Henry's hand son grew up to become the Smackdown fist.
In actual canon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn2uZ9eKDio

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i thought ravens gimmick was always buff pearl jam fan that wrestles

This reminds me of an obscure but hilarious incident from the late 90's when MTV did this live WCW special in the middle of a weekend afternoon. The idea, best I can understand, was that they were doing a tournament and each wrestler or tag team was paired with a specific music video. Each instance would be hashed out either by a match between the wrestlers or by fans voting from home over which video was better. This was scheduled to go three hours.

The problem was that this was an outdoor event and the rain kicked in hard. The opener was a tag match that only went a few minutes, but it was a dangerous few minutes due to all the slipping around. The downpour didn't let up for the rest of the show and they couldn't do any more wrestling. So instead, they cut it down one hour and spent the rest of the show just having wrestlers walk out, tell the fans to vote for whatever Ludacris video they were represented by and wait for the results so they could repeat the process. Raven outright told people NOT to vote for the Hole video he was partnered with because he really didn't want to stand out in the cold rain anymore.

The show ended with DDP (represented by a video from Gary Cherone Van Halen) defeating Raven in the finals. Then they had a brawl for the sake of having something happen and leaving the soaked fans happy.

It never aired again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope everyone is familiar with the gimmick Raven had before he was Raven

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rarity posted:

I hope everyone is familiar with the gimmick Raven had before he was Raven

lmao

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Gavok posted:

This reminds me of an obscure but hilarious incident from the late 90's when MTV did this live WCW special in the middle of a weekend afternoon. The idea, best I can understand, was that they were doing a tournament and each wrestler or tag team was paired with a specific music video. Each instance would be hashed out either by a match between the wrestlers or by fans voting from home over which video was better. This was scheduled to go three hours.

The problem was that this was an outdoor event and the rain kicked in hard. The opener was a tag match that only went a few minutes, but it was a dangerous few minutes due to all the slipping around. The downpour didn't let up for the rest of the show and they couldn't do any more wrestling. So instead, they cut it down one hour and spent the rest of the show just having wrestlers walk out, tell the fans to vote for whatever Ludacris video they were represented by and wait for the results so they could repeat the process. Raven outright told people NOT to vote for the Hole video he was partnered with because he really didn't want to stand out in the cold rain anymore.

The show ended with DDP (represented by a video from Gary Cherone Van Halen) defeating Raven in the finals. Then they had a brawl for the sake of having something happen and leaving the soaked fans happy.

It never aired again.

Barry Darsow loves RUN DMC

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1352435983011241984?s=20

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I nearly forgot the cliche 90s team of Mosh and Thrasher.

The Headbangers

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bonzo posted:

I nearly forgot the cliche 90s team of Mosh and Thrasher.

The Headbangers

I wonder who ended up more problematic in that picture: The Headbangers or Marilyn Manson?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

I wonder who ended up more problematic in that picture: The Headbangers or Marilyn Manson?
Mosh went on to have an incest gimmick, a gimmick whose angle shifted from "is a domestic abuser" to "girlfriend lied about being abused", and a gimmick where he was supposed to be vaguely Middle Eastern/Asian.

I always liked them unapologetically crossdressing, but knowing WWE there was a queerbashing thing going on with that that I was too dumb and the broadcast in my country too sanitized to get.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Oney Lorcan: "ONE TIME I ASKED KEN SHAMROCK TO WATCH MY MATCH AND HE SAID YES THEN DURING THE ENTIRE MATCH I KEPT LOOKING OVER AT HIM AND HE WAS LOOKING AT ME WITH HIS ARMS CROSSED THEN AFTER THE MATCH I ASKED HIM HOW I DID AND HE LOOKED DIRECTLY INTO MY EYES AND SAID HE DIDNT SEE MY MATCH"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

How cringe would it be to watch the Chuck and Billy wedding in tyool 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bonzo posted:

How cringe would it be to watch the Chuck and Billy wedding in tyool 2021

You tell me

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mosh went on to have an incest gimmick, a gimmick whose angle shifted from "is a domestic abuser" to "girlfriend lied about being abused", and a gimmick where he was supposed to be vaguely Middle Eastern/Asian.

I always liked them unapologetically crossdressing, but knowing WWE there was a queerbashing thing going on with that that I was too dumb and the broadcast in my country too sanitized to get.

Mosh was Hassan?

I like the description of this video:

"Very well done performance by Eric Bischoff in this segment."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Billy and Chuck's wedding was very entertaining for about three minutes

Hang on...

Did just hear myself say three minutes? :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYKTV-n92pE

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I could never like 3MW (though I didn't watch during that period); after reading/seeing the HLA segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1OwB3Kkn8

7:40 is when they finally stop all the gross 90's sex poo poo (8 loving minutes of Bischoff getting girls to strip in the ring and makeout and stuff, then 3 minutes of getting the poo poo kicked out of them legit) - not work or mind safe btw)

basically 2 big Samoans (Umaga and his cousin), shoot beat the poo poo out of 2 local craigslist models (with no professional training what so ever) who prolly got paid WWE bux ("you'll get so many more gigs with WWE on your modeling profile!!!") -- I'm pretty sure both were hospitalized with broken ribs/etc/etc but there was never any legal action (lol), I'm sure WWE paid them off, because I don't really think that wouldn't be the easiest lawsuit in the world to win, unless the contracts they signed said poo poo like "yea we'll take bumps!"

I don't even ever wanna watch it again, I got disgusted just skipping thru to get to the beat-down part (JFC this poo poo is sooo gross, imagine if this poo poo aired today, WWE would be cancelled tomorrow... (or lets be real, bigger than ever in America because for some reason, they all like this gross women beating/raping sociopaths, Kobe, Big Ben, Stone Cold, Vince McMahon, etc, etc)

Also reminded me all that headbanger talk had me thinking Puke/Droz joined them at one point (a guy Vince hired basically only because he could puke on command - a former NFL player who used to throw-up like every game he played) - but thats because he was the 3rd Legion of Doom member who came in to keep getting Hawk drunk ((who was a legit alcoholic, so another super grossness angle there); then he also threw him off the Wall Titantron; I forget why exactly, maybe so he could take his place in matches...

because he (puke) wore loose clothing, D.Lo Brown quadriplegicized him with a botched Powerbomb (though Droz holds no animosity, though D.Lo seemed super traumatized by the events, even with Droz's blessing -- but he seemed a lot more relaxed/healthy in those Dark Side eps)

Hirez fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 6, 2021

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Hirez posted:

basically 2 big Samoans (Umaga and his cousin), shoot beat the poo poo out of 2 local craigslist models (with no professional training what so ever) who prolly got paid WWE bux

for whatever other merit (or lack thereof) that segment had they did not legit beat the poo poo out of some strippers, because again the things that happen on the wrestling show are pretend, and because the idea of a lawsuit for physical and emotional distress predates the year 2002

they were trained wrestlers/stunt lesbians, although apparently they did get a bonus as an apology of sorts for how stiff the Samoans worked with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t15v7Dm8Bn4

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So I'm watching this week's AEW Dynamite on my on-demand thing and I have a noob question. Luchadors like Rey Fenix for real hide their identities? But it seems like it would be easy to figure out who they are? I tried googling just to see if it was real and nothing came up immediately. I found this level of commitment to the bit deeply satisfying, if true.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So I'm watching this week's AEW Dynamite on my on-demand thing and I have a noob question. Luchadors like Rey Fenix for real hide their identities? But it seems like it would be easy to figure out who they are? I tried googling just to see if it was real and nothing came up immediately. I found this level of commitment to the bit deeply satisfying, if true.

it varies from luchador to luchador but I think alot of them do it for privacy reasons, for example nobody knows poo poo about Blue Demon Jr

Fenix is an interesting case because I'm fairly sure him and penta were so careful they were able to keep the fact they were brothers secret for a long time and they were gona to do a big reveal in lucha underground.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

having done some checking on Cagematch, I can confirm that Brunette Lesbian #1 was in a mixed tag team with Frankie Kazarian, who would in turn later go on to have a clean pinfall victory over Kazuchika Okada

which I think still makes her more successful than Billy Gunn

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is a grand tradition for luchadors, especially those who choose to wear a mask. El Santo (a loving legend and a hero) did not reveal his face for years, and wore the mask whenever he traveled.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bogus Adventure posted:

This is a grand tradition for luchadors, especially those who choose to wear a mask. El Santo (a loving legend and a hero) did not reveal his face for years, and wore the mask whenever he traveled.

drat that rules.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Blue Demon Jr. is currently petitioning the Mexican government to let him run for office without revealing his identity.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Most of the old luchadors where buried with their masks on.

I dare say its the closest thing we have to real superhero type personalities and the hole secret identity thing.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I looked up what Luchasaurus looks like without his mask, and it only brought me brief satisfaction. Luchadores hiding their identity owns.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That's insane. wtf

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

RIP the original Demonio Azul. He rasslin' vampires in heaven now.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That's insane. wtf

Kayfabe is serious business in Mexico.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Mexican cinema is full of luchadors fighting monsters and poo poo, it rules.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh hey WWE what's up how was Smackdown last night

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1368025675093966848

:ohno:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rarity posted:

What the gently caress even is this other than cringe?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Why does he have a shovel? Is he searching for his career?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rarity posted:

The applause sound reminded me of an old NES baseball game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For context, one month ago Apollo Crews was a happy smiley babyface from Sacramento. A few weeks ago he turned heel for no reason as is the tradition in WWE. Last week he talked about how his dad was from Nigeria and he was proud of his heritage. This week he is an African warlord.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
you can see Shaq doing the little tap wrestlers do to let each other know they're ok just before the camera cuts away :3

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rarity posted:

Let's see, we have:

a) a Black man
b) holding what looks to be a spear
c) talking in a heavily African accent (or Caribbean?)
d) army uniforms that imply he's the leader of a local African militia

The WWE writing team is all white aren't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Rarity posted:

For context, one month ago Apollo Crews was a happy smiley babyface from Sacramento. A few weeks ago he turned heel for no reason as is the tradition in WWE. Last week he talked about how his dad was from Nigeria and he was proud of his heritage. This week he is an African warlord.

Did he always have the accent or did he just now put it on