Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

togashi has been dead since 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The lovable man known as Togashi is actually a paid actor, hired by the backroom committee that creates Hunter X Hunter to put an affable face on their brand. What about Yu Yu Hakusho you say? That never existed. Just a simple case of mass hysteria implanting a false memory into the anime-loving public.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The room is empty, because Togashi already escaped.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

The room is empty, because Togashi already escaped.

He is good at his own game!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The escape room contains this note and nothing else:

>You are locked in a hotel room by your editor. The only way to escape is to finish the dark continent arc. But you are tired. So tired.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 16, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've been rewatching the 2011 anime, which is still straight up 10/10, and I'd never truly realised how Dragon Quest some of the music is.

Fitting as gently caress.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
That reminds me, I watched 99 last year for the first time with the understanding it went through Greed Island, but it turns out that's not entirely accurate and it actually ends abruptly like 80% through Yorknew, almost-but-not-quite-getting-to the resolution of the Spiders arc. After that there was a series of OVAs released years later carrying it the rest of the way, but honestly they were too hard to find and I gave up before even getting to Gon and Killua bumping into Feitan and Phinks at the auction.

Just bewildering that the full 99 seemed almost unfindable - I agree with the popular sentiment that 2011 almost fully eclipses 99, but it's still a series that tends to inspire rabid fan loyalty and the 99 series definitely appeals to anyone just looking for "more" HxH.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I don't remember what's the :filez: policy on SA so I won't link anything for now but I found GI OVAs on animeowl (as Hunter x Hunter OVA 2 and 3) :ssh: If that information is a no-no I'll remove it

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I remember here (Argentina) the OVAs were aired on TV as if they were just normal parts of the series, so it took me until checking on the internet to realize that they were released separatedly from the rest.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I just differentiate the series by OP. York Shin OVA is Pale Ale, GI is Pray and GI Final is Believe in Tomorrow with its solid color backdrops and 2 frame loops.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lurking Haro posted:

I just differentiate the series by OP. York Shin OVA is Pale Ale, GI is Pray and GI Final is Believe in Tomorrow with its solid color backdrops and 2 frame loops.

Now do the same but for the modern anime.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Now do the same but for the modern anime.

10 Print "departure!"
20 Goto 10

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My wife, who grew up thinking anime/manga is weird stuff for weirdos, agreed to watch 2011 with me and she is totally on board. We've been watching most nights for the past month and just got to Ikalgo's introduction. Killua and Leorio are her favorites, and she went from thinking Hisoka and the Troupe are psycho creepy weirdos to thinking they're interesting characters who are also psycho creepy weirdos. She's mentioned wanting to read the rest of the available manga after we're done.

in conclusion, HxH good

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We have plenty of space on this boat ride so feel free to play catch up when you're done with the anime.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah this is my third run through the series, I pushed her to see this because I was confident she'd like it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I hope this opens her up to other good anime like Mob Psycho

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Leorio should be everyone's favourite

Cos he's the best

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Maybe my opinions are wrong and bad but I couldn't get through Mob Psycho for even a season I was so bored

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nonexistence posted:

Maybe my opinions are wrong and bad but I couldn't get through Mob Psycho for even a season I was so bored

You're opinions aren't necessarily wrong or bad. It just means you have no humanity or empathy left in the shriveled husk you call a body.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

You're opinions aren't necessarily wrong or bad. It just means you have no humanity or empathy left in the shriveled husk you call a body.

I am a lawyer so

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's okay to not like Mob Psycho.

It's wrong to not like it, but it's okay to be wrong.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Mob Psycho is decent, but if my wife gets through HxH and reads the rest of the manga and wants more of The Animes, the next experiment will be 13 Sentinels.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

13 sentinels is also extremely good.

like Leorio and unlike Kurapika

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

13 sentinels is also extremely good.

like Leorio and unlike Kurapika

:hai:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Mob Psycho is decent, but if my wife gets through HxH and reads the rest of the manga and wants more of The Animes, the next experiment will be 13 Sentinels.

you should look at the korean gameshow The Genius

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593386

if you're looking for 'clever people play mindgames against each other' as a niche.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I loved the Genius so maybe it has cross appeal for hxh fans.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

same

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Nthing the love for The Genius, sometimes I just stop and think "man, remember The Genius, that was a drat good show".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We did get an update this year. For the manga that only gets one page a year.

Maybe we'll even get a conclusion before HxH starts back up...

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Adding my voice to the genius recommendations, but also, does anyone know other shows similar to that?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

GodFish posted:

Adding my voice to the genius recommendations, but also, does anyone know other shows similar to that?

Taskmaster? That’s a comedy variety show but it occasionally scratches that lateral thinking itch.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brought To You By posted:

We did get an update this year. For the manga that only gets one page a year.

Maybe we'll even get a conclusion before HxH starts back up...

Literally more consistent than HxH and has given us more content than HxH for the past few years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GodFish posted:

The genius thread has some other recs.

Liar game was a decent similar manga but it fell apart at the end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

I agree.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm starting my rewatch, and, uh, I noticed there's a whole arc I never saw? :ohdear: Like I had been 100% sure the anime ended after the Chimera Ant arc, Gon's recovering from his more-ridiculous-than-normal Forbidden Ultimate Powerup technique, he finally meets Ging, Ging shows him a bigass tree and they do this pullback that sure reads like a finale before the ED rolls. And that's where my source ended it, they had no further episodes (Maybe I was watching it as it released and caught up at just the wrong time?). But I picked up from y'all talking about it that there was more beyond that, and sure enough, Crunchyroll has more past that episode.

My complaint about the Chimera Ant arc feels even dumber now. Like not only did I completely misread the character arc Gon and Killua were having, I mistakenly believed that's where the series ended, with no resolution beyond "We found Ging! That is entirely what we wanted to do, nothing else needs resolving." I do still feel like that entire episode about how evil this crime lord was, that just ended with the shaggy-dog of "And now I'm in an ant, welp," was entirely unnecessary. But that's the only part of my complaint that still holds water.

Also Crunchyroll keeps serving me ads for IUD birth control and I'm like bitch, I got a wang and I'm watching anime, you've completely mistargeted. Plus they served me nine identical political ads in one episode.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The Ging and giant tree episode is where the show stops, I’m not sure what more you’re seeing.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I assumed Gon's recovery happened like basically one or two episodes after Meruem died, then. Ah well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So basically you skipped the entire Election arc by accident but somehow still knew how it ended? Maybe you just read spoilers and hated them so much that you decided to stop watching?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Nah, I totally watched the election arc, I just got confused because it's been like 8 or 9 years since I watched the whole series and I was scrolling on my phone so it looked like there were more episodes than there actually were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Broke: skipping the election arc
Normal: watching the election arc
Woke: watching Leorio punch Ging on repeat for days