Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Despite having an absolutely record breaking Q4, and dealing with massive global supply chain disruptions in the middle of a global pandemic, we will not be getting raises this year

Our private equity overlords have, in their infinite generosity, funded a "one time special" bonus pool. Which I'm guessing will be about a quarter of what we we had last year

This was announced in a company wide email at 3pm on a Friday. We have an all-hands meeting Monday. I feel bad for my team leader because holy poo poo is he gonna get an earful.

Keep pretending to pay me and care about my health and safety. I'll keep pretending to give a gently caress about my job.

Our office did fantastic this last year, I was a new employee towards the start of the year in anticipation of a lot of growth (construction is booming in my area) and while there was a month of furlough once we got back at it there was basically as much work as you could volunteer to take. We’re talking triple digits of outperforming and according to the people above me I was one of the big contributors to that, right place right time I guess.

So for half the year my boss had been talking about how my annual review was gonna be huge and how he had been going all the way up the ladder to let people know I was a keeper. I got promoted twice but half the raise my boss had been promising me, and basically no one else got raises because allegedly all that extra profit we’re bringing in is supporting the other branches that had terrible years. Which I sort of get but goddamn do we have a super bloated corporate structure with a bunch of admins we could probably afford to lose in exchange for giving people allegedly keeping this region afloat a couple more bucks an hour.

Even though a crunch due to the pandemic was listed as the reason I wasn’t getting the full raise associated with my 2x promotion whatcha want to bet next year’s review/negotiations will not start from the salary I’m supposed to have for my position. So now I just have an inflated title and if we get newer people in the future one level below me we’ll have the same pay.

Wife’s job is like that too, she just got tenured which comes with a pay bump but then the profs all took a 10% paycut that I doubt is ever coming back when the pandemic is over. It’s gross how management inevitably uses stuff like this to just line their pockets.

We’re all in this together says the people exploiting one of the biggest losses of life in history to pay their workers less.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I missed it but at a zoom staff meeting the director announced "Its been rough I know but I do have some good news! The department has saved a ton of money in electricity since everyone's working from home!"

There was an awkward silence as everyone realized that its a virtual pay cut as we're all now paying for that electricity ourselves. He was seemingly oblivious.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Our company also had a slam banger of a year despite the pandemic

I haven’t gotten a raise in over two years despite the fact that I basically down 1.5 peoples’ worth of work just to keep the department functioning and if I didn’t then everything would go to poo poo and we’d all get fired :downs:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Dumb poo poo your work does: They asked me to please take a sick day off of work and then fired me a few days later for taking a day off of work as a "company policy violation" they had asked me to make.

No, I have NOT let that go yet. And won't.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 6, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Catastrophe posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does: They asked me to please take a sick day off of work and then fired me a few days later for taking a day off of work as a "company policy violation" they had asked me to make.

Why didn’t you sue them lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Catastrophe posted:

please tell me the initial request to take the day off was in writing

my director at helljob was smart enough to never put anything unethical / illegal in writing, the little fucker

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Not my job, but as I'm looking at other options to get into to push pay up some (hopefully without actually doing all that much more):
"Associate's degree in QuickBooks required"
I know HR rarely has a goddamn clue what's actually necessary for positions, but it's in their own department, how do you gently caress that one up?
e: How to know you're going to be abused if you take this job: tagging "superstar" in the job title...

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 7, 2021

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

please tell me the initial request to take the day off was in writing

my director at helljob was smart enough to never put anything unethical / illegal in writing, the little fucker

One benefit of this pandemic hellworld is I can go " hey sorry my zoom is cutting out, can you email what you want me to do?"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jobs are almost always assholes about sick days. You give me sick days, I use them when I'm sick, then you're mad about it? C'mon.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

Jobs are almost always assholes about sick days. You give me sick days, I use them when I'm sick, then you're mad about it? C'mon.

Not to say it's not a management hellworld that results in this but I also feel like there's an unreasonably large segment of total suckups that refuse to use their sickday that contribute to this. Ironically they make everyone else get sick cause they simply won't stay home no matter how obvious it is they have something bad but their supervisors eat it up and so the cycle continues.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I know this is mostly a US people thread but the entire sick day thing is extremely fitting for this thread. Having a finite amount of days you can allot for "being sick" and getting fired for using them is so incredibly inhuman it's something from a 18th century Victorian industrial tycoon playbook.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Son of Rodney posted:

I know this is mostly a US people thread but the entire sick day thing is extremely fitting for this thread. Having a finite amount of days you can allot for "being sick" and getting fired for using them is so incredibly inhuman it's something from a 18th century Victorian industrial tycoon playbook.

but what of my profits

nevermind that those sick people are probably just sitting at their desks watching cat videos or shopping online

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Not to say it's not a management hellworld that results in this but I also feel like there's an unreasonably large segment of total suckups that refuse to use their sickday that contribute to this. Ironically they make everyone else get sick cause they simply won't stay home no matter how obvious it is they have something bad but their supervisors eat it up and so the cycle continues.

Nevermind the cost of not taking a sick day!

I loathe people coming to work with a cold, doing cock-all and infecting another half dozen people who then have several days of low productivity

I'm sort of hoping that covid will change this and coming to work while ill will become socially unacceptable. Although given people with covid symptoms have been pressured to come in while waiting for test results I'm not hopeful.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Code Jockey posted:

but what of my profits

nevermind that those sick people are probably just sitting at their desks watching cat videos or shopping online

I certainly used to have days where I was feeling like poo poo, was in the office, but was completely unproductive and may as well have not been there.

I now make no compunction of going home early if I’m feeling ropey, or just taking a day off.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
We had a director literally congratulate people by name for taking very few days off last year during our department monthly meeting.

He also congratulated people, by name again, for working on MLK Jr. Day. This was the first year my work had MLK Jr. Day as a holiday.

And they wonder why morale is awful and we have awful churn with our software engineers.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Son of Rodney posted:

I think you're misinformed about what it's like to work in the US. You can still get fired even if you don't use them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Presenteeism:

quote:

Presenteeism or working while sick can cause productivity loss, poor health, exhaustion and workplace epidemics. While the contrasting subject of absenteeism has historically received extensive attention in the management sciences, presenteeism has only recently been studied. In Singapore, the term may also refer to the practice where employees stay in the office even after their work is done to wait until their bosses leave.

Certain occupations such as welfare and teaching are more prone to presenteeism. Doctors may attend work while sick due to feelings of being irreplaceable. Jobs with large workloads are associated with presenteeism. People whose self-esteem is based on performance, as well as workaholics, typically have high levels of presenteeism.

Presenteeism may have many motives. An employee may come to work because they simply need the money and cannot afford to take time off due to illness. Additionally, one could go to work due to a love and devotion to the job. In this case, presenteeism could be considered an act of organizational citizenship and inspire admiration from colleagues. Other reasons include feeling that their career prospects may be damaged if they take time off, and an expectation of presence driven from management.

Find the part written by management.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lol yeah if I see someone working for 60+ hours a week for no good reason I definitly admire them instead of thinking they're pitiable people who got brainwashed into seeing work as the point of living.

Imagine making work the focus on your life instead of literally everything else.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

If I ever need to make myself throw up, I'll recall the phrase "organizational citizenship"

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
This was a while ago so I might have details wrong. IT guy reads a blog post and becomes convinced that plain windows file search is terrible. It is disabled on all machines and is replaced by some third-party search app.

Turns out that this particular app will just hang indefinitely because the indexing function doesn't like the files our CAD software generates. So any search of a folder or drive that isn't used exclusively by the admin staff is unsearchable.

This takes weeks to resolve.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

wooger posted:

I certainly used to have days where I was feeling like poo poo, was in the office, but was completely unproductive and may as well have not been there.

I now make no compunction of going home early if I’m feeling ropey, or just taking a day off.

I'm pretty sure this is just "going to work in general" for a lot of people. I certainly have a coworker who has been doing this daily for months... and now a heavy cough all the time has started up... Between that and our supervisor's "I jumped the vaccination line so I shouldn't need masks any more" it's gonna be a hell of a few weeks to months before my state opens up vaccinations further.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ArbitraryC posted:

I work with food. People routinely come in sick because the secret motto of the culinary industry is "Never Call In Sick!" That might sound crazy but it's only because most places absolutely don't have the manpower to pick up slack. Of course, that's because the pay is poo poo.

At least these days they'll stay home if they don't pass the Covid screening, but I'm sure people have lied on that form. One of our guys died after Thanksgiving. He was the guy who hated masks the most, wanted to keep going out to places. I think that woke a lot of people up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah we were supposed to be testing temperatures and sending folks home, but we were already so hideously undermanned that even one person calling in sick threw everything from 'difficult and overworked' to 'apocalytpic stress'... So we just lied and faked the numbers.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That sounds weird because I worked a ton of restaurant jobs growing up and people were constantly calling in sick (most because they were unreliable hungover losers)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In my experience, the hungover servers can call in sick because there are plenty of college kids to replace them. The hungover cooks don't even register that we are hungover, since that is our normal state of being. Excepting the few teetotalers and the guys who continue drinking right away in the morning, of course.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

People with kids usually don't take sick days for themselves because they need to save those days for when their kids are too sick to go to school, doctor's appointments, etc. Our society offers no support network for these situations, employers in the US don't give a gently caress about your family caretaker role, so better tread carefully, come to work sick, or get fired.

Those who get paid hourly often need the money and can't afford to stay home for unpaid days off.

Combined "PTO" buckets of sick + vacation days also strongly incentivize not calling out sick, because woops there goes your chance for a big trip.

People say "sue 'em" for firing you for taking a sick day, but there is zero right to sick leave in the US in the federal level. I think just a few states have mandated some. Only in limited cases, like if the sick leave is related to a disability, do you have any right to it. Otherwise you're completely at the mercy of your capitalist overlords.

It's easy to gripe about working for the government, but I'm extremely cognizant of having a relatively large amount of separate pools of sick AND vacation leave that I have an entitlement to use.

what a barbaric country

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thesaurus posted:

People with kids usually don't take sick days for themselves because they need to save those days for when their kids are too sick to go to school, doctor's appointments, etc. Our society offers no support network for these situations, employers in the US don't give a gently caress about your family caretaker role, so better tread carefully, come to work sick, or get fired.

Those who get paid hourly often need the money and can't afford to stay home for unpaid days off.

Combined "PTO" buckets of sick + vacation days also strongly incentivize not calling out sick, because woops there goes your chance for a big trip.

People say "sue 'em" for firing you for taking a sick day, but there is zero right to sick leave in the US in the federal level. I think just a few states have mandated some. Only in limited cases, like if the sick leave is related to a disability, do you have any right to it. Otherwise you're completely at the mercy of your capitalist overlords.

It's easy to gripe about working for the government, but I'm extremely cognizant of having a relatively large amount of separate pools of sick AND vacation leave that I have an entitlement to use.

what a barbaric country

As someone flirting with FMLA as a possible necessity, depending on some constantly-delayed test results: yes, FMLA is about the only way you're going to get out of "being fired for taking too many sick days", and that is not in and of itself a guarantee either (when I was "indefinitely laid off"... a year ago tomorrow, actually, one other person was let go at the same time, right after coming back from protracted medical leave for surgery; nominally it's not connected, but since they were cutting people by seniority and she was there the second longest out of anyone, yeah, I didn't buy it). Otherwise any sick time you get is at your employer's whim above the state/federal minimum. I'm fortunate that my manager is very willing to flex my hours to let me wedge early morning appointments in, but I'm also not customer facing and that's unrealistic for many people.

International goons reading: it is worth reinforcing the statement that there is "zero right to sick leave". Have a red state sampler from my actual state and poo poo I have actually seen done:

• There is no minimum leave per year required. Yes, this means you can in fact work a job that allows no sick leave at all and fires you on the first go. (Exception: federally-required FMLA, which is a bitch to get going and not at all a short notice thing.)
  • Companies are allowed to cap their workers' time off and cause them to lose any time beyond that cap. The frequent cap I've seen is 80 hours.
  • Companies are also allowed to wipe an employee's time at the start of the new year.
  • Companies have to pay out sick leave and vacation time if they don't specify their severance policy, but it is completely legal to specify that it will not be paid out, and the employee is then SOL.
  • Non-state employers are not required to give any holidays off, nor is holiday bonus pay required.
  • The previous point includes things like jury duty and voting, that you don't have the option not to do (well, you could not vote, but we've seen how that works out).
  • While I'm at it, some fun outside of hours worked: no breaks are required, at all, for workers over 18 regardless of shift length. There is also no legal cap on shift length.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Thesaurus posted:

I remember telling someone about a former job that counted unscheduled leave on Mondays and Fridays from your vacation leave instead of your sick leave and she was astonished at the idea of paid leave. Florida sucked, that job sucked, I thought having to use paid vacay to cover paid sick leave sucked...turns out that last one was one of the few good things about Florida.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I brought my Drake posted:

she was astonished at the idea of paid leave

Ladies and gentlemen... America!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dang I know I’ve griped about my job but they’ve never hassled me about sick days and are good about communicating it’s fine to take them as personal days for emergency issues. When I needed to take a few days for helping with hospitalization of relative it was no problem.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

As someone flirting with FMLA...

That reminds me. the other barbaric thing is that even these scant few employee "rights" and "protections" can usually only be invoked through after-the-fact civil litigation.

Get fired for taking FMLA? Get fired in retaliation for complaining of sexual harassment? Get fired for some other kind of discrimination? Yes, all very illegal. With luck--and direct evidence--you'll be able to hire an attorney and recover your lost wages in a few years. If your case is outrageous, the government may be able to lend you a hand and get you those wages on a similar timeline.

no matter how long I stare at the american labor system, my mind is still constantly cracking and pinging at how few fucks our rich and powerful society gives about supporting workers (i.e. almost everyone who isn't wealthy)

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Thesaurus posted:

what a barbaric country

Even in states with sick leave mandated (like mine) if it's a right to work (like mine), they just make up a reason to fire you when you call out sick. "Oh, you don't fit with the team anymore" or "you're performance as been declining and no I don't have to give details". This is completely legal as long as they don't say it's because you are a protected status

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
drat America is an awful country.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang I know I’ve griped about my job but they’ve never hassled me about sick days and are good about communicating it’s fine to take them as personal days for emergency issues. When I needed to take a few days for helping with hospitalization of relative it was no problem.

I've had a couple jobs with generous vacation and sick days but would grief you forever if you used them outside of a multi-week trip scheduled at least 6 months in advance.

I don't like big vacations. I like a long weekend every month or two. Thankfully my current job is mega chill about using leave.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AHH F/UGH posted:

That sounds weird because I worked a ton of restaurant jobs growing up and people were constantly calling in sick (most because they were unreliable hungover losers)

Sure, but nobody uses those for being actually sick cuz you won't get any other days off lol. Although I actually did (eventually) get vacation days at that lovely Domino's job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mr. Sunshine posted:

That might sound sweet, but the realization that I could literally walk out the door and no-one at work would even ask where I was until my time reports stopped coming in was depressing as hell. Also, since I spent most of the time just sitting on my rear end, once I had to do actual work I was rusty as hell, unmotivated as hell and had completely failed to keep up with the developments in my field. By the time I quit my skills were like ten years out of date.

This is something that has been really loving with me, especially during forever at home time. I've constantly been stuck on projects where I'm either working with no one else, or with a team in another time zone, even though I'm nominally in the team that makes and maintains a specific thing. If I just don't show up, the most that happens is probably "huh, has anyone seen <first name> today?" before moving on. Love to do stand-up where I don't need to know anyone else's status and they don't need to know mine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Splode posted:

drat America is an awful country.

Yup. Was talking to some relatives from the UK and they were baffled Americans get no guaranteed paid leave. They get five weeks minimum. I’m sure there’s more to it but yeah. Same with Canadians not understanding why someone would be trying to raise money for a coworker’s kid’s medical bills.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yup. Was talking to some relatives from the UK and they were baffled Americans get no guaranteed paid leave. They get five weeks minimum. I’m sure there’s more to it but yeah. Same with Canadians not understanding why someone would be trying to raise money for a coworker’s kid’s medical bills.

Five weeks minimum. Can't imagine.
Once again comparing for the non-Americans in the crowd: I get 48 PTO hours and two full-days per year and I'm in pretty good shape vs a lot of other employers in my area at the same pay bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Yeah I have a relatively high PTO rate for american and that means I'm starting at about 1 week vacation, 1 week sick, 2 floaters, or ~2.5 + the bigger federal holidays. If I work at this company for a bajillion years I think it caps out at 4 week vacation, which would be great, except employee loyalty is incredibly undervalued and sticking at one company basically means forgoing substantial raises.

That'd be a good question for the basic poo poo you don't understand thread, the highest earners I know from my acquaintances basically all utilized the failing up strategy, never doing a particularly great job at their work but hopping consistently enough to accelerate their titles (and obviously payscale). While I envy their income I gotta say I don't super envy the stress that comes with the constant hunt, one of my close friends does this and he makes a truckload of money but always seems about ready to breakdown from the stress of it. I'm kind of willing to make less if it just means a more straightforward path, but why is it that companies seem to penalize long term workers? It feels like most jobs I've been at, even "unskilled", someone who had been there for the long haul was an order of magnitude more productive than people training their way up, and yet it's p consistent that the only way to get a good raise is to jump ship. Shouldn't it be win/win for companies to focus more on retainment/rewarding the strong employees?