Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Going off of what gets used for year-end awards:

Bests

Fighter of the Year

Fight of the Year

Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar, UFC on ABC 1

Tyler Diamond vs Jo Sung-Bin, PFL 1

Jiri Prochazka vs Dominick Reyes, UFC Vegas 25

Ben Rothwell vs Chris Barnett, UFC Vegas 27

Santiago Ponzinibbio vs Miguel Baeza, UFC Vegas 28

Brad Riddell vs Drew Dober, UFC 263

Michel Pereira vs Niko Price, UFC 264

Justin Gaethje vs Michael Chandler, UFC 268

Weight Division of the Year

Best Major Show

UFC 261

UFC 264

UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs Till

Performance of the Year

Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar, UFC on ABC 1

Robert Whittaker vs Kelvin Gastelum, UFC Vegas 24

Brandon Moreno vs Deivison Figureido, UFC 263

Round of the Year

Kennedy Nzechukwu vs Carlos Ulberg, round 1, UFC 259

Merab Dvalishvilli vs Marlon Moraes, round 1, UFC 266

Alexander Volkanovski vs Brian Ortega, round 3, UFC 266

Justin Gaethje vs Michael Chandler, round 1, UFC 268

Charles Oliveira vs Dustin Poirier, round 1, UFC 269

KO of the Year

Cory Sandhagen vs Frankie Edgar, Flying Knee, UFC Fight Night 184

Derrick Lewis vs Curtis Blaydes, Upperct, UFC Fight Night 185

Roland Dunlap vs Obinwa Ikebunna, Slam, LFA 104

Rose Namajunas vs Weili Zhang, head kick and punches, UFC 261

Kamaru Usman vs Jorge Masvidal, punch, UFC 261

Tai Tuivasa vs Greg Hardy, punch, UFC 264

Emily Ducote vs Danielle Taylor, punch and head kick, Invicta FC 44

Chris Barnett vs Gian Villante, spinning wheel kick and punches, UFC 268

Sergio Pettis vs Kyoji Horiguchi, spinning backfist, Bellator 272

Submission of the Year

Matheus Santos vs Alexander Volodin, Overhead Toe Hold & Calf Slicer (AKA the Stretch Muffler, AKA the BROCK LOCK), Open Fighting Championship 2

Islam Makhachev vs Drew Dober, arm triangle, UFC 259

Amanda Nunes vs Megan Anderson, triangle armbar, UFC 259

Magomed Magomedkerimov vs Curtis Millender, Ezekial choke, PFL 2021 #5

Vicente Luque vs Michael Chiesa, D'arce choke, UFC 265

Breakout Fighter of the Year

Most Improved Fighter of the Year

Upset of the Year

Anthony Hernandez, BJJ purple belt submitting ADCC champ Rodolfo Vieira by guillotine choke, UFC 258

Juliana Pena vs Amanda Nunes, UFC 269

Comeback of the Year

Kennedy Nzechukwu vs Carlos Ulberg, UFC 259

Charles Oliveira vs Michael Chandler, UFC 262

Claressa Shields vs Brittney Elkin, PFL 2021 #4

Darren Elkins vs Darrick Minner, UFC on ESPN 27

Sergio Pettis vs Kyoji Horiguchi, Bellator 272

Worsts

Worst Fight of the Year

Chris Weidman vs Uriah Hall, ended 17 seconds into the bout due to Weidman's leg getting horrifically broken via a checked low kick, UFC 261

Worst Major Show of the Year

Foul of the Year

Petr Yan throws a blatantly illegal knee to the head of a downed Aljamain Sterling, resulting in a DQ loss and a new bantamweight champion, UFC 259

Worst Refereeing Mistake of the Year

Mark Smith allowing Uros Medic to punch Aalon Cruz for an extra 2 - 3 minutes while Cruz simply crawled on all fours. UFC 259

Mark Smith taking like 5 minutes to figure out that Aljamain Sterling lying on his back not knowing who he was and unable to get up after eating a deliberate foul knee to the face from Petr Yan meant he should call the match to an end. UFC 259.

Al Guiney just watching Jamahal Hill's arm flop around brokenly while Hill is stuck in a triangle/armbar, doing nothing as Craig elbows Hill in the face. UFC 263

Worst Judging Incompetence of the Year

Ron Cleary having the fight 29-28 for Sterling after 3 rounds prior to it ending via DQ, UFC 259

One judge scoring Loughnane vs Diamond 28-28 despite Loughnane clearly dominating r2 and most of r3. PFL 2021 #4

Worst Coaching Gameplan of the Year

Petr Yan's corner screaming,"YES! KICK HIM!" when Aljamain Sterling was down and such a move would be illegal and cost him the belt. UFC 259.

Brittney Elkin having mount for most of round 2 and being incapable of finishing Claressa Shields. PFL 2021 #4

Worst Booking Decision of the Year

Amanda Nunes vs Megan Anderson, UFC 259

UFC 261 allowing 15,000 people to attend a show in the midst of an ongoing, yearlong global pandemic

Dumbest Career Move

Petr Yan deliberately fouling Aljamain Sterling with a knee to the face and costing himself his Bantamweight Title by a DQ loss in a fight he was absolutely winning. UFC 259.

Megan Anderson fighting Amanda Nunes, UFC 259

Cody Garbrandt dropping to Flyweight, UFC 269

Others

Best Trash Talk of the Year

"Oh, I'm a freshman?" - Max Holloway to Calvin Kattar, midfight of the UFC on ABC 1 main event, as he dodges Calvin's punches and lands no-look shots of his own

Tim Elliott confronting Jordin Espinosa about Espinosa possibly being an abuser while Tim punches and bleeds into Espinosa's face. UFC 259

"Karma's not a bitch, it's a mirror" - Dustin Poirier to broken ankled Conor McGregor, UFC 264

Best Comedic Moment of the Year

Ryan Hall trying his silly little rolls, but getting his face punched off by Ilia Topuria, UFC 264

Tai Tuivasa laying out Greg Hardy, doing shoeys, hollerin, having fun. UFC 264

Chris Barnett doing a full on butt-slamming front flip, delivering a great post fight interview, UFC 268

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year

Max screaming, "I'm a freshman!?!" towards the commentators while drilling Kattar, who claimed he was a superior boxer, with no-look precision shots - UFC on ABC 1, January 16 2021

Conor McGregor claiming he was going to beat Dustin Poirier in less than 60 seconds, then proceeding to get beat the gently caress up and losing in round 2 - UFC 257, January 23rd 2021

Jorge Masvidal proclaiming Kamaru Usman isn't blessed with power and laughing off his punches, mere seconds before getting knocked extremely dead, UFC 261

Claressa Shields vs Brittney Elkin, PFL 2021 #4. Shields only ground defense being punching (even while mounted), Elkin not submitting Shields at any point, or even looking to win by TKO. Just a real dumb fight overall.

Conor sitting with a broken ankle, fighting back angry tears while screaming incoherent insults at an indifferent Poirier who is leaving victorious with his wife - UFC 264

Best Social Media Presence

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LobsterMobster posted:

While we wait for the Best & Worst of 2021 thread, I want to note these things from today's event:

Performance of the Year - Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar

Insult/Trash Talk of the Year - Max Holloway saying "oh, I'm a freshman?" (referencing Kattar saing that he's a senior when it comes to boxing and Max is a freshman), in the 5th round while dodging punches

Could make an argument for Joaquin Buckley to be overhyped underperforming for losing by KO to a guy on a three fight losing skid, but ehhh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fight of the Year - Max Holloway vs. Calvin Kattar - UFC on ABC 1, January 16 2021

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year - Max screaming,"I'm a freshman!?!" towards the commentators while drilling Kattar, who claimed he was a superior boxer, with no-look precision shots - UFC on ABC 1, January 16 2021

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year - Conor McGregor claiming he was going to beat Dustin Poirier in less than 60 seconds, then proceeding to get beat the gently caress up and losing in round 2 - UFC 257, January 23rd 2021

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

considering nominating bellator under dumbest career move by not getting their poo poo together in time to capitalize on ufc taking a brief break and just shoving some fighters out there in the circlegon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KO of the Year: Frankie Edgar vs. Cory Sandhagen - UFC Fight Night Overeem vs. Volkov 2/6

Just loving crazy poo poo.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

KO of the Year: Cory Sandhagen vs Frankie Edgar, Flying Knee, UFC Fight Night 184

https://streamable.com/ulfd8t

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

worst a lot of things: a eminem music video during the overeem/volkov event

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

LobsterMobster posted:

worst a lot of things: a eminem music video during the overeem/volkov event

truly one of the most embarrassing things that has ever happened in the ufc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Upset of the Year

UFC 258 Anthony Hernandez def. Rodolfo Vieira Submission (guillotine choke)

Note that Hernandez is a random dude who has a purple belt and Vieira was an undefeated MMA fighter and former ADCC champion. This result was a -3000 line!

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Also nominating Viera for Gas Out of the year, and Julian Marquez for worst post-fight interview

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KO of the Year: Derrick Lewis vs. Curtis Blaydes - UFC on ESPN+ 43 2/20

Utterly terrifying power on display.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Submission of the Year: Matheus Santos vs Alexander Volodin, Overhead Toe Hold/Calf Slicer, Open Fighting Championship 2 2/20

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1363594285363458050

Fentry fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 22, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A loving Stretch Muffler?!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
edit: nevermind I didn't see the text in the post from fentry calling the sub out

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Best something - a nazi getting his rear end kicked

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1364233763207667716

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Worst Ref Mistake - Mark Smith letting Medic pummel Cruz for like 3 extra minutes while Cruz simply crawled around on all fours. UFC 259

e: Added R1 of Nzechukwu vs Ulberg as round of the year, and the fight itself as Best Comeback

Probably an early contender for Honorable Mention Fight of the Year due to it just being a crazy rear end brawl

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 7, 2021

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Best Trash Talk of the Year: Tim Elliot trashing Jordan Espinosa for being a woman beater in the middle of beating the poo poo out of him

https://streamable.com/eftdi5

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Foul of the Year

UFC 259 Petr Yan throws away his belt for an illegal knee to Aljo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

100%. fuckin' nuts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Worst Refereeing Mistake of the Year - Mark Smith (I think?) taking like 5 minutes to figure out that Aljamain Sterling lying on his back not knowing who he was and unable to get up after eating a deliberate foul knee to the face from Petr Yan meant he should call the match to an end. UFC 259.

Worst Coaching Gameplan of the Year - Petr Yan's corner screaming,"YES! KICK HIM!" when Aljamain Sterling was down and such a move would be illegal and cost him the belt. UFC 259.

Dumbest Career Move - Petr Yan deliberately fouling Aljamain Sterling with a knee to the face and costing himself his Bantamweight Title by a DQ loss in a fight he was absolutely winning. UFC 259.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Submission of the Year: Amanda Nunes vs Megan Anderson, Triangle Armbar, UFC 259

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Best Major Show: UFC 259, other than Santos vs Rakic everything was either cool or weird

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

KO of the Year: Roland Dunlap vs Obinwa Ikebunna, Slam, LFA 104

https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1383228046648377346

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Performance of the Year: Robert Whittaker for his performance against Kelvin Gastelum in UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Gastelum 4/18

Just a tremendous display of skill and patience, just remarkable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We have a list here

Best Major Show - UFC 261

KO of the Year - Kamaru Usman KOs Jorge Masvidal, UFC 261 (power)
KO of the Year - Rose Namajunas KOs Zhang Weili, UFC 261 (speed and precision)

Worst Promotion - UFC 261, bringing in 15000 of the worst Floridans during a pandemic, and having every second thing out of Joe Rogan's mouth be "wow it's so great to have a crowd" oh and Joe interviewing KOed fighters again.

Worst anything of the year - Chris Weidman's leg, UFC 261.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^ seconding

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

a couple other nominations

Edmund Tarverdyan's Head Mooment Award For Best Schadenfreude
Jorge Masvidal getting KO'd after palling around with Jake Paul and turning his "personality" up to 11, UFC 261

2021's Fights Where We, The Viewer, Are The Winner
Tyler Diamond vs Jo Sung-Bin, PFL 1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fight of the Year: Dominick Reyes vs. Jiri Prochazka - UFC Apex: UFC on ESPN 23 5/1

Crazy loving fight, everybody should watch this.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

Fight of the Year: Dominick Reyes vs. Jiri Prochazka - UFC Apex: UFC on ESPN 23 5/1

I don’t think there is a more action-packed two-round fight. Seconding this for sure.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Also for KO of the Year
https://streamable.com/6kytnj

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

this match loving ruled

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC 262

Comeback of the Year: Charles Oliveira survives a near stoppage in R1 to KO Michael Chandler 19 seconds into round 2.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
From last week: Round of the year Gillespie vs Ferreria Rd 1. Incredibly fun grappling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Fight of the Year: Ben Rothwell vs Chris Barnett, UFC Apex Infinity 5/22.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Fight of the Year: Miguel Baeza vs Santiago Ponzinibbio, UFC Vegas n, Jun 5 2021

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

From PFL #4

- Judging incompetence for scoring Loughnane vs Diamond 28-28 despite Loughnane nearly killing Diamond in rounds 2 and 3

- Comeback for Shields vs Elkin

- Coaching and gameplan failure for Elkin for being incapable of finishing Shields on the ground

- Comedy in MMA for Shields vs Elkin. The whole fight was extremely silly and dumb.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dober/Riddell FOTY also Fight where fans are the winners.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Performance of the Year: Brandon Moreno vs Deiveson Figueiredo, UFC 263

Dominant, basically flawless performance

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fentry posted:

Performance of the Year: Brandon Moreno vs Deiveson Figueiredo, UFC 263

Dominant, basically flawless performance

Hell yeah, fantastic performance and a great post-fight interview too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Also, Refereeing Incompetence: Ref Al Guinee for letting Jamahal Hill's clearly dislocated arm flap around for an absurdly long time against Paul Craig, UFC 263