Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
When the wax/edge guy laughs at the condition of your equipment, it’s probably time to upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Leave me alone brah I’m trying to give you my money

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

E: work antics

Boss was messing with me for the most part and the toe thing w/r/t Pivot 15s is nowhere near as bad as he made it sound

Macnult fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 7, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

PCjr sidecar posted:

Solid intermediate in the upper midwest. Mostly midwest resorts; sometimes trees. No touring or hiking; do a fair amount of XC but have dedicated skis for that.

Yes; I’m onboard with the local shop plan, I’d just like to be able to clearly articulate my preferences etc when talking to them.

You're probably looking for a mid flex boot around 110 in that case. I think just tell them what you posted above and they'll hook you up. Don't be afraid to try on like 3-4 different models and see which you like best. But honestly there aren't really any bad ski boots out there

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Eejit posted:

You're probably looking for a mid flex boot around 110 in that case. I think just tell them what you posted above and they'll hook you up. Don't be afraid to try on like 3-4 different models and see which you like best. But honestly there aren't really any bad ski boots out there

The only bad ski boot is one that doesn’t fit you well. The only good ski boot is one that does. Outside of that, it’s just not going to be that big a difference.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Flex isn't a huge deal when you're a low to intermediate skier but it absolutely matters a ton when you start getting to advanced and expert level terrain and techniques.

Going from a 80 flex to 120 was like going from an 80s Cadillac to a cts-v.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Flex isn't a huge deal when you're a low to intermediate skier but it absolutely matters a ton when you start getting to advanced and expert level terrain and techniques.

Going from a 80 flex to 120 was like going from an 80s Cadillac to a cts-v.

Yeah, that's why I said 110. That's usually the perfect flex for everything

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's what I ended up in was a 110 (technica cochise) for a fairly confortable novice skier. Resort rentals felt too soft and flexy. When I demoed they had me in 120s and they felt much better, way more precision and control.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

stratdax posted:

Upward release happens at the heel with ski bindings. The toe piece releases laterally. Here's what Look says about their heel piece.
Multi Directional Release
- LOOK is the only binding brand to develop a true mechanical upward release that functions independently from the heel for the most effective 180° MULTI DIRECTIONAL RELEASE in the instance of a fall.

I don't know exactly what means between the marketing BS, but either way, it definitely has upward release and you're good. Honestly ski gear is good enough nowadays that it's hard to go wrong, and a shop certainly won't line you up with something crazy unless you specifically know what you're asking for.

AFAIK the Pivot 12 and 14 toes use two plastic wings to provide a degree of upward release, while the 15 and above have an aluminum toe without any upward release like most traditional binding designs. I don't think that the 15s lose anything as compared to most other bindings, though, it's more that the 12 and 14s provide an extra element of safety (assuming that you're not dropping cliffs and need to be clamped in tight).

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 7, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the right timing of ski tuning/waxing? I usually do a full edge/wax at the beginning of the season and then do a machine wax or two again before subsequent trips. Am I doing it wrong? Should i doing more myself each day?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
All depends on the kinda snow conditions you're encountering.

Utah pow days, I can go for a week of nonstop riding without rewaxing, but a super cold groomer day or a spring day with sticky snow will necessitate daily hot waxing. Plus if you care about maximum glide (many people dont) then you want to make sure to use high fluoro waxes for warm days and a cold-specific wax if it's going to be extra frigid.

You can tell how "thirsty" your base is by seeing how faded/white the material base material is getting, especially near the edges (on a board) because that part of the base sees the most action. At least that's how I judge it. Faded and white = thirsty base = slower.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 7, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

What's the right timing of ski tuning/waxing? I usually do a full edge/wax at the beginning of the season and then do a machine wax or two again before subsequent trips. Am I doing it wrong? Should i doing more myself each day?

I haven't waxed my skis in literally a season and a half I'm finally getting to the point I notice it. Pre season wax and tune and maybe one in the middle is the sweet spot, but you can be lazy and it doesn't matter for someone not racing

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

All depends on the kinda snow conditions you're encountering.

Utah pow days, I can go for a week of nonstop riding without rewaxing, but a super cold groomer day or a spring day with sticky snow will necessitate daily hot waxing. Plus if you care about maximum glide (many people dont) then you want to make sure to use high fluoro waxes for warm days and a cold-specific wax if it's going to be extra frigid.

You can tell how "thirsty" your base is by seeing how faded/white the material base material is getting, especially near the edges (on a board) because that part of the base sees the most action. At least that's how I judge it. Faded and white = thirsty base = slower.

I’ve only ever used high fluoro wax for races. There are also health and environmental concerns associated with them, and many competition bodies, including FIS, have banned the use of fluoro wax. I’d definitely stay away from fluoro waxes entirely and save some money in the process.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

I haven't waxed my skis in literally a season and a half I'm finally getting to the point I notice it. Pre season wax and tune and maybe one in the middle is the sweet spot, but you can be lazy and it doesn't matter for someone not racing

Hahah yeah I haven't waxed my skis all season and I realize I should but gently caress after six years of doing it almost every night it's SO NICE to just be like "eh gently caress it I can still ski"

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
For my own gear, I wax whenever the base starts looking dry i.e. white lines and sharpen maybe once a season. So maybe 4 times a season. For my kids' race gear, I wax and sharpen all the time. Angles are a lot different too. I'll run 0/0 angles.with no detuning on my decks but the race skis get 3 degree sides and 0.5 base.

Edit. Also use normal hot wax. The liquid wax like Swix F4 liquid makes fluoro wax seem healthy by comparison. The solvent they use to keep the wax liquid is pretty noxious. I was trying it out on my board this week and didn't read the use outdoors only warming until after I had applied it in an enclosed basement.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 7, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have the permanent wax solution, Phantom DPS, on two pairs of my skis and it is nice never needing to think about waxing them. The stuff works really well, too. But is expensive, 150 for the shop in Portland to apply it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Didn't bother getting out my wax iron for the past few days of skate skiing, just rubbed the fairly soft red Swix CH straight on and let the coarse snow do the brushing. Saves on the wax and gave me ok glide on transformed, slightly wet snow. But slow when it was frozen, as it usually is.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have the permanent wax solution, Phantom DPS, on two pairs of my skis and it is nice never needing to think about waxing them. The stuff works really well, too. But is expensive, 150 for the shop in Portland to apply it.

Same and same. My shop’s website listed it as $90 but they don’t tell you it’s $60 more to put it on. And they’re the only ones with the equipment to put it in. For a minute I was wondering if same shop but then I realized other Portland. Pissed me off but I’m glad to not have to worry about it and help the planet a little.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I buy the swix universal glide wax/training wax and run that 90% of the time. You can get a bigass box of it from Amazon.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Sup, snowfolk thread. Clueless Floridian here, gonna be passing through the Blue Ridge Mountains next week. Is there any chance of having fun at someplace like Beech Mountain Resort while I'm up there, or is it too late in the year for this area?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I know less than nothing and am not sure how to check conditions other than calling them, to which I'm sure the answer would be "yes, it's great up here, come give us your money." But if the slopes are meh then there's plenty of good mountain biking I could be doing instead, sooo...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Unsinkabear posted:

Sup, snowfolk thread. Clueless Floridian here, gonna be passing through the Blue Ridge Mountains next week. Is there any chance of having fun at someplace like Beech Mountain Resort while I'm up there, or is it too late in the year for this area?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I know less than nothing and am not sure how to check conditions other than calling them, to which I'm sure the answer would be "yes, it's great up here, come give us your money." But if the slopes are meh then there's plenty of good mountain biking I could be doing instead, sooo...

Looks like there is snow on the runs and no where else. That is about what I would expect right now. I would ski it but I also will almost ski in any conditions.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It'd be nice to be able to not have to wax but I've looked at the reviews and it's more intended for low maintenance casual use and not at all suitable for racing. I might try it on my rock board and see how it does but my main headache is race skis.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Looks like there is snow on the runs and no where else. That is about what I would expect right now. I would ski it but I also will almost ski in any conditions.

Alright, I'll skip it and make that a separate trip. Thanks!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

Alright, I'll skip it and make that a separate trip. Thanks!

Here is the website for what appears to be one of the larger resorts in the area : https://www.beechmountainresort.com/mountain/winter-trail-map/

It looks like it might be fun if it was earlier in the season, but I am unsure how climate change will impact the resorts in that area in the coming years.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yuns posted:

It'd be nice to be able to not have to wax but I've looked at the reviews and it's more intended for low maintenance casual use and not at all suitable for racing. I might try it on my rock board and see how it does but my main headache is race skis.

Yeah, that is true. Just the DPS alone is never as "fast" as a fresh wax for the conditions, but that works for a lot of use cases, unfortunately excluding racing though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Here is the website for what appears to be one of the larger resorts in the area : https://www.beechmountainresort.com/mountain/winter-trail-map/

It looks like it might be fun if it was earlier in the season, but I am unsure how climate change will impact the resorts in that area in the coming years.

Yeah I would totally go ski it if I lived in Florida next week. The web cam makes it look fine. enough coverage on the runs. Honestly I wonder how much if any natural snow Beech gets these days.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel really lucky to have moved somewhere where there is a decent mountain to ski, as I was not into skiing until just a few years ago. Luckily Mt. Hood is about an and hour and fifteen minutes away from where I ended up settling for work, so I am just really lucky that things turned out so well. I guess the "curse" is that now anywhere I want to move the skiing situation is of major importance, and that really, really limits where a person can live.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yep, that's where we were initially considering!

spwrozek posted:

Yeah I would totally go ski it if I lived in Florida next week. The web cam makes it look fine. enough coverage on the runs. Honestly I wonder how much if any natural snow Beech gets these days.

Haha, fine, it's back on the list! What's the social distancing situation at places like this, are you able to navigate the lifts and lodge and whatnot responsibly, or are people going to be crowding in behind/around me in places like the lift line and the gear shop?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I feel really lucky to have moved somewhere where there is a decent mountain to ski, as I was not into skiing until just a few years ago. Luckily Mt. Hood is about an and hour and fifteen minutes away from where I ended up settling for work, so I am just really lucky that things turned out so well. I guess the "curse" is that now anywhere I want to move the skiing situation is of major importance, and that really, really limits where a person can live.

Same. When my wife and I left Chicago, a major part of the decision was to have better access to the outdoors while we are still young and able. As a kid in Michigan I was always fascinated by big mountains and the western US. It was between denver and Seattle and we ended up in Seattle because we have some family here. My hobbies have exploded which means I'm outdoors a lot. The hiking/climbing/riding in Washington is amazing. My wife hikes with me. We ski together. There are multiple ski resort options within 2 hours. Honestly I'm not sure where else I would rather be. I'm infinitely happier here then I ever was back home. Best decision I've made in my life, hands down.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Unsinkabear posted:

Yep, that's where we were initially considering!

Haha, fine, it's back on the list! What's the social distancing situation at places like this, are you able to navigate the lifts and lodge and whatnot responsibly, or are people going to be crowding in behind/around me in places like the lift line and the gear shop?

No idea what they are doing but generally lodges have been closed to hanging out in. Only ride the lift with your group. Masks in lift lines. Since you posted about mountain biking in that thread I would probably go do that if the trails are dry. Especially if you are worried about hanging around others with Covid. It might be one of those how often do you bike vs how often do you ski and your desire to do them in the mountains.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

spwrozek posted:

No idea what they are doing but generally lodges have been closed to hanging out in. Only ride the lift with your group. Masks in lift lines. Since you posted about mountain biking in that thread I would probably go do that if the trails are dry. Especially if you are worried about hanging around others with Covid. It might be one of those how often do you bike vs how often do you ski and your desire to do them in the mountains.

I can drive to either Croom or Alafia in around an hour, so skiing is definitely the experience we have less access to normally. But I think my partner is more comfortable with the idea of bikes, and I'm already hijacking her chill trip to the mountains and making it into a busier adventure week, so I'm going to let her make the final call on which one we do. The COVID precautions you mentioned sound solid, so I'm silently crossing my fingers for skiing, but if she picks bikes I can always do a designated Beech roadtrip next winter instead (or fly somewhere else, COVID willing).

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Try living in SLC and being addicted to steeps (the insane amount of pow doesn't hurt but really I just the fact there's no flats in lcc, albion excepted of course).

Like, where the hell else do you move from here? Snowbird is less than half an hour from my house and I live in a major metro area. Touring opportunities are literally right out my door. Now any time we talk about moving its just kinda like "So, where would we ski again? Oh and that's how many hours from where I'd work?"

The fact that utah is a red state and can be VERY stupid (though Mitt Romney aint so bad now eh) just makes it that much harder. Seattle would be great but... from an access perspective, there's literally nowhere we could go that would be better than where we already are. Especially when you factor in biking, hiking, camping, 4x4ing....

I'd like to end up interior BC but I have no clue what I'd do for work.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 8, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

As long as you're near mountains, the small trades in access and city life are all about personal preference. I like living in a small mountain town and Seattle and SLC are both great as mountain adjacent cities too. Mountains good.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the best month for Japan? January?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ante posted:

What's the best month for Japan? January?

Last week of january to 3rd week of february is your best bet for good snow and enough coverage.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I went up today with my slalom skis, but it had snowed too much and the snow was super soft, so after a run of constantly sinking in and risking some super stupid moves by trying to really turn I decided to go slalom ski powder skiing instead.

One of the best days I've had all season. Completely shredded some steeps, had some mild runs in deep-ish powder, just super fun overall.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

I went up today with my slalom skis, but it had snowed too much and the snow was super soft, so after a run of constantly sinking in and risking some super stupid moves by trying to really turn I decided to go slalom ski powder skiing instead.

One of the best days I've had all season. Completely shredded some steeps, had some mild runs in deep-ish powder, just super fun overall.

Whoa whoa whoa... you need, NEED, at least 100 mm wide skis or you will be eaten by the powder and lose your go pro.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I have it on good authority we’re about to get somewhere between 4” and 6’

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

waffle enthusiast posted:

I have it on good authority we’re about to get somewhere between 4” and 6’

Green Mountain here I come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535