Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Agatha is a few centuries old and quite willing to kill. Having her watch a sitcom from the inside is something she's no doubt patient enough to endure and smart enough to work her way out of if the plot demands it.

I wonder if Wanda will meet White Vision and give him the memories from WandaVision. Vision needs to come back. It helps that he's played by Paul Bettany but they have given what could have been a bland character a warm, wry and heroic personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's kinda weird seeing everyone trying to compartmentalise her as one or the other. Wanda is both good and bad like literally every Marvel "hero"; Iron Man is a literal war criminal, Black Widow did a bunch of heinous poo poo (apparently), Magneto similarly treads the line. Flawed heroes have always been Marvel's thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Geo Fixer posted:

I think they reference Dr.Strange in Captain America: The Winter Solider.
As a potential terrorist, which would square pretty nicely with a dude who just his medical license and hosed off to Nepal only to basically drop off the grid as part of a cult.

Unrelated this article is so salty it could feed a horse for a month:

https://collider.com/wandavision-problems-cameos-teasers/

quote:

I don’t watch Marvel stuff to feel feelings or to think about my emotions or consider my place in the world or my relationships with others. I watch them for two reasons: 1) To acknowledge comic books (the more obscure the better, so as to reward my efforts), and 2) to tease future Marvel projects at the expense of the one I’m currently watching. We all know that the best part of Avengers: Age of Ultron is when Thor (Chris Hemsworth) goes on his vision quest because that clued us into the Infinity Stones even though stones had already been mentioned the previous year in Guardians of the Galaxy. I also think we can all agree that Iron Man 2 is the best Marvel movie because it does so much heavy lifting in setting up future Marvel movies. And in my opinion, there has not been a better Marvel scene than the one in Thor where Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is in a bucket to introduce us to Hawkeye.

quote:

I do not watch superhero movies and shows to think and feel. I watch them so that my fandom is affirmed, and being a fan means always looking ahead to the next thing rather than spending time in the present. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to start theorizing about when we can expect Chris Evans to make a cameo in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mind the walrus posted:

And in my opinion, there has not been a better Marvel scene than the one in Thor where Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is in a bucket to introduce us to Hawkeye.

This is a parody article right because there is no way this is a real opinion held by a real person.

e: ok reading the full article and yes it's a joke thank goodness

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 7, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes even by Poe's Law that article is very, very obviously satire.

quote:

By treating Wanda’s story as one about grief, loss, and healing, Marvel denied me the chance to connect my comic book knowledge to the movies. Do you think we read comic books for fun? NO. We read them so we can amass a bunch of knowledge about storylines and then feel secure that we’re ahead of the curve when the movies come along to repeat those storylines. I haven’t been burned this badly by Marvel since The Mandarin turned out to be just an actor in Iron Man 3. Why would you play with my expectations, Marvel? To surprise me? To bring me joy? The only joy I feel is when my fan theories are proved correct so that people know I’m smart.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The title of the article is "‘WandaVision’ Failed to Deliver Things That Were Never Promised to Me". What do you think?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I only read the quotes and wasn't sure so I clicked through the link and saw the title.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah but Iron Man 3 Mandarin was bullshit.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I hope Falcon and Winter Soldier have the same poo poo (cameos and red herrings), with also a very okay cute line that will make people emotional, just to see if the internet can implode.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah but Iron Man 3 Mandarin was hilarious.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Keep in mind too Strange is still probably rebuilding the Sorcerer uh...crops? They lost a lot in the kaselius battle plus who knows what the snap/blip did to wreak havock on them all.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Dr. Strange 2 will probably have him defeated by Mordo in the first act, then he finds Wanda and they beat Mordo together at the end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

I hope Falcon and Winter Soldier have the same poo poo (cameos and red herrings), with also a very okay cute line that will make people emotional, just to see if the internet can implode.
Oh we're gonna have that + the immense joy of seeing political softballs lobbed very gently in the direction of "both sides" via the Flag-Smashers and USAgent. Looking very forward to the hot takes about that for the next 5 years.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

Romantic workplace comedy.

They are an unusual couple!

So why did Agatha kill Sparky? Was there any point to that or was it just for the sake of being evil?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

Fake propped up terrorist threat in order to justify the military industrial complex was a way more introspective idea for a villain than Marvel movies deserved

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Fake propped up terrorist threat in order to justify the military industrial complex was a way more introspective idea for a villain than Marvel movies deserved
Honestly true, and kind-of wasted on Iron Man if we're being honest.

fractalairduct posted:

So why did Agatha kill Sparky? Was there any point to that or was it just for the sake of being evil?
The 80s episode is titled "On a very special episode..." and is themed over the syrupy moralizing family sitcoms of the 80s and early 90s. My guess is Agatha killed Sparky because the death of a pet is a pretty classic premise for that kind-of show and it let her see how Wanda reacted.

The boys asked her if she could bring Sparky back and Wanda said "no I can't" which is almost certainly what gave Agatha the idea to use Ralph as Fietro because it would cause Wanda to continue to second-guess herself and her control on the situation. Nearly everything Agatha did was to either assess Wanda's abilities or get her further off-balance so it'd be easier to soak her up.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I wonder what name and identity Ralph Bohner reverted to after the hex fell? Or would being in the same house as Agatha have protected him from a WandaVision character rename and revamp like the rest of the town?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

fractalairduct posted:

Making Wanda's kids ask about death was sure to gently caress with Wanda's head and maybe let her slip about her wigglely woo. Plus Agatha thought it would be funny.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Its Rinaldo posted:

Making Wanda's kids ask about death was sure to gently caress with Wanda's head and maybe let her slip about her wigglely woo. Plus Agatha thought it would be funny.

Well, the actual dead dog wasn't funny, but Agatha's "...and I killed Sparky, too" with that cackle was loving hilarious.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

SCheeseman posted:

It's kinda weird seeing everyone trying to compartmentalise her as one or the other. Wanda is both good and bad like literally every Marvel "hero"; Iron Man is a literal war criminal, Black Widow did a bunch of heinous poo poo (apparently), Magneto similarly treads the line. Flawed heroes have always been Marvel's thing.

Marvel's heroes have always flawed people with great power trying to do their best. The FF fought among themselves, Spider-Man lost his uncle because of a moment of selfishness.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not gonna ask anyone to out themselves, but if you're so concerned about Wanda's lesser behaviors and have even once rooted for Wolverine, Venom, Deadpool, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Loki, Apocalypse, or The Punisher you need to chill tf out.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 7, 2021

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It's also possible she did it as a means of provoking another age jump for the children.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Everyone posted:

Well, the actual dead dog wasn't funny, but Agatha's "...and I killed Sparky, too" with that cackle was loving hilarious.

Agatha sure thought so! Witches have historically wanted to get their little dog's too.

mind the walrus posted:

Not gonna ask anyone to out themselves, but if you're so concerned about Wanda's lesser behaviors and have even once rooted for Wolverine, Venom, Deadpool, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Loki, Apocalypse, or The Punisher you need to chill tf out.

Deadpool is the only one on that list I'd actively cheer for and nobody would pretend he's a good person or defend his awfulness.

Who the hell roots for Apocalypse?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 7, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Its Rinaldo posted:

Who the hell roots for Apocalypse?

A frightening number of Christian Fundamentalists in positions of power within our government.

Oh, sorry, you meant Apocalypse, the X-Man villain, not the Biblical End Times. My bad.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

everytime someone mentions movie apocalypse i just think of oscar isaac (objectively one of the most handsome actors in the industry) being put in blue makeup and armor that makes him look so tiny, especially as evan peters quicksilver bounced him around some ruins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zMOY_28DCI&t=49s

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Everyone posted:

A frightening number of Christian Fundamentalists in positions of power within our government.

Oh, sorry, you meant Apocalypse, the X-Man villain, not the Biblical End Times. My bad.

:golfclap:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

Jimmy: Well, why don't you call him Vision, and call the other one... Red Vision

Ralph: Red Vision? That's stupid! I know he's red

Vision: You want the moustache on or off?
Wanda: Off please.
Vision: Too bad.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Steve Yun posted:

I really like the post-Avengers story arc they do for Tony, and IM3 is the one film that's aged pretty well because of it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

PS4 Spider-Man is weird because it sort of tacitly supports the idea that organized crime is necessary because NYC was better off with Kingpin in charge. I know you're not supposed to agree with JJJ's broadcasts, but the campaign makes it hard to disagree that Spider-Man makes everything worse by putting Fisk away.

That's certainly an interesting takeaway from JJJ Limbaugh's broadcasts.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

sticklefifer posted:

PS4 Spider-Man is weird because it sort of tacitly supports the idea that organized crime is necessary because NYC was better off with Kingpin in charge. I know you're not supposed to agree with JJJ's broadcasts, but the campaign makes it hard to disagree that Spider-Man makes everything worse by putting Fisk away.

Eh, whether Magneto is justified or not is one of those things that Marvel has been exploring for decades; it's not new to Spidey-PS4.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ror posted:

My girl Agatha got done dirty. She deserves to be chilling at her own lakeside cabin trying to put her life back together.

Yeah. Amidst the rest of the disappointment of the episode (oh boy purple and red laser beams ) the decision to completely assassinate Agatha's character from being a nebulous anti-hero/sinister mentor into a cackling blackhat was definitely the shine on a poo poo sundae. All so what, Wanda's decision to perpetually torture her forever wouldn't seem so flat out villainous?

Seriously though, regarding Agatha's fate. If Disney doesn't explicitly frame the conscious decision to mindfuck Agatha as villainous then it's a huge failure of storytelling. A lot has been thrown around about Wanda's culpability with enslaving the town, and arguments in both directions have merit. It was a bad thing, started unintentionally, justified internally, and is problematic but in an understandable way. We've all grieved, we've all dreamt of futures that will never be, and some of them were so close as to be in hand only to be ripped violently away. We get it. Arguments can be made of atonement, or what would make it right, and again there's a lot of valid discussions to be had there.

What she does to Agatha is premeditated. It's cruel. It's malicious. It's intentional. It's self-serving, keeping her around in case Wanda has need of her. We know everyone under Wanda's power is aware of it. That after less than a month under it they'd rather die than continue it. It is completely, massively monstrous to do to another human being.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

fractalairduct posted:

Pre-episode 9 Agatha killing sparky? To push Wanda's reality towards breaking by adding consequences and to see how she would react.

Episode 9 Agatha? Cuz killing dogs is EVIL.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I just wanted Star Lord to show up during Vision's fight scene, with no explanation, just so he could press play on his Walkman and...
The power of Foreigner kicks in
Carl Brutananadilewski would have also been acceptable, though even harder to justify.

FogHelmut posted:

I loved that twist. They set up a character to make us Comic Book geeks in the audience think they knew what was going to happen, and then smashed those expectations in the best way.
I loved the twist of Fake Pietro actually being just some random guy for the same reason.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Agatha sure thought so! Witches have historically wanted to get their little dog's too.
Between "getting" the little dog, and the shot of Agatha's shoes lying in the rubble of the house after Wanda hit her with a car, it's clear Harkness is a fan of the classics.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PJOmega posted:

Yeah. Amidst the rest of the disappointment of the episode (oh boy purple and red laser beams ) the decision to completely assassinate Agatha's character from being a nebulous anti-hero/sinister mentor into a cackling blackhat was definitely the shine on a poo poo sundae. All so what, Wanda's decision to perpetually torture her forever wouldn't seem so flat out villainous?

Seriously though, regarding Agatha's fate. If Disney doesn't explicitly frame the conscious decision to mindfuck Agatha as villainous then it's a huge failure of storytelling. A lot has been thrown around about Wanda's culpability with enslaving the town, and arguments in both directions have merit. It was a bad thing, started unintentionally, justified internally, and is problematic but in an understandable way. We've all grieved, we've all dreamt of futures that will never be, and some of them were so close as to be in hand only to be ripped violently away. We get it. Arguments can be made of atonement, or what would make it right, and again there's a lot of valid discussions to be had there.

What she does to Agatha is premeditated. It's cruel. It's malicious. It's intentional. It's self-serving, keeping her around in case Wanda has need of her. We know everyone under Wanda's power is aware of it. That after less than a month under it they'd rather die than continue it. It is completely, massively monstrous to do to another human being.

I generally agree with all of this, however, either Wanda does this or she just straight up executes Agatha right there. In terms of her capabilities, those are the options Wanda has there. Because letting Agatha go to be a constant antagonist while Wanda is trying to learn magic so she won't brainwash entire towns just isn't a viable choice. Meanwhile, figure Agatha will have it a little easier than the townsfolk. She won't be subjected to Wanda's nightmares (which were likely broadcast through the Hex). She doesn't have children or a significant other to miss that we know of. Wanda doing this is kind of cruel, but either Agatha suffers this, which is at least potentially temporary or she gets death which kind of isn't.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 7, 2021

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

achillesforever6 posted:

Don't forget Elon Musk showing up in it; meanwhile they cut Ghostface Killer showing up in the original Iron Man movie

Now i jist want to make wu tang canon in the MCU.

What would everyone's powers be? Would there be a plot on trying to a multiverse ODB?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

My Face When posted:

Edit: phone posting. Double post quote is not edit. Ka bam

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Do these characters exile themselves or feel guilty about what they did? The Hulk is a better comp, especially if the Scarlet Witch turns out to be sentient on her own and beyond Wanda's control.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Do these characters exile themselves or feel guilty about what they did? The Hulk is a better comp, especially if the Scarlet Witch turns out to be sentient on her own and beyond Wanda's control.

Well, no, but that's the point. Those characters are completely fine with who they are and what they do. Wanda was not fine with what she did so she's taking steps to try to avoid repeating it. The point is that if you're cheering those characters on while poo-pooing Wanda for what she did, you're a hypocritical idiot.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Robot Hobo posted:

I loved that twist. They set up a character to make us Comic Book geeks in the audience think they knew what was going to happen, and then smashed those expectations in the best way.
I loved the twist of Fake Pietro actually being just some random guy for the same reason.

this just seems, i dunno, spiteful? you like the reveals because they disappointed other people? i enjoyed IM3 because i really don't know anything about the mandarin, but i can sympathize with people who hoped he'd be portrayed at least somewhat accurately. i can also appreciate the filmmakers trying to do something different than a straight adaptation of something. but that really wasn't what happened here with fietro. they actively made it the most boring outcome imaginable. i don't think they were intentionally trolling so much as just wanting a fun cameo. but they were dumb to think that making him literally a mind-controlled nobody wouldn't be a massive disappointment to anyone who likes peters' quicksilver (which is most people who saw those x-men movies), especially with the fox acquisition and their flat out casting electro and doc ock from the other spider-man movies in the next MCU spider-man.

it was so dumb that people are still scrambling to find any clue in it at all for it to mean something more. as much as i'd like that, i don't think anything exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

Well, no, but that's the point. Those characters are completely fine with who they are and what they do. Wanda was not fine with what she did so she's taking steps to try to avoid repeating it. The point is that if you're cheering those characters on while poo-pooing Wanda for what she did, you're a hypocritical idiot.

Who the victims are matters. Wolverine kills paramilitary types, as do the Avengers for that matter. This situation is more like the Hulk destroying that city in AoU or even Tony taking responsibility for what happened to Sokovia.