Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's a super boring presenter. If he has a written review available I just speed read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The videos that don't consist entirely of a procession of interchangeable charts and graphs are fine.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Steve prefers written content, as would a lot of his viewers, but Youtube makes him money and articles don't. So... we get videos.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He actually mentioned that when talking about the Hardware Unboxed shadowban, made a little comment that it might be time to properly update the GN website.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I put GN videos on sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep because I find them soothing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Sometimes the monotone really works as comedic contrast with the video content, like when discussing RAGE MODE

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

admiraldennis posted:

I put GN videos on sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep because I find them soothing.

His case reviews especially.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Am I the only one who falls asleep almost immediately when trying to listen to a Gamers Nexus video? Like, he clearly knows his poo poo very well, he has a lot of great information and good content, make no mistake. But on multiple occasions, even when I wasn't tired, the droning monotone that never really starts or stops once the video begins has genuinely put me to sleep, to the point where I've kind of given up on being able to watch his stuff, even if it's on a topic I'm interested in.

I'll sit there, brow furrowed, trying my best to concentrate and keep myself alert as I stare at the screen and listen, and and then he opens his mouth, and it just all kind of...blurs...around my senses.

It sucks, because, as I've already said, he's great at all the useful information stuff.

I feel like his format should really be print. His scripts are very print like.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
The articles they used to put up was just the script that Steve reads.

Part of me hopes that Steve manages to find someone yo co-host that has a more lively personality. I'm pretty sure all of the GN employees have the same monotoneness thing going on. Buildzoid does liven things up whenever they put up one of his videos.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Whitest Russian posted:

The articles they used to put up was just the script that Steve reads.

Part of me hopes that Steve manages to find someone yo co-host that has a more lively personality. I'm pretty sure all of the GN employees have the same monotoneness thing going on. Buildzoid does liven things up whenever they put up one of his videos.

I do enjoy BZ's mannerisms. He should change his channel to "well, actually, hardcore overclocking".

His discussions about motherboard lines taught me a lot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
can i complain about how bitwit's thumbnails bother me so much more compared to other youtubers

i get it, +% more clicks or whatever for thumbnails that have 😮 in them, no point in leaving money on the table in capitalism etc,

but ughhhh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

buglord posted:

can i complain about how bitwit

yes

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I feel like his format should really be print. His scripts are very print like.

Yeah but every now and then you get a brilliant intro like this https://youtu.be/EUWVVTY63hc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steve’s one of the best for deadpan low key humour which I always appreciate in an increasingly shouty market.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

njsykora posted:

Steve’s one of the best for deadpan low key humour which I always appreciate in an increasingly shouty market.

Yes, this.

I acknowledge (and appreciate) the monotone and I love the style of humor. There's more than enough wacky maxed-out turned-up-to-11 YouTube out there.

And I really do enjoy GN videos when winding down towards sleep at the end of the day. That's a differentiator, not a bad thing.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I often fall asleep to youtube, and much of the time it's to tech news.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I really hate the sickeningly upbeat, inflectiony stuff. I just want the content, and I like it delivered in audio form so I can do other stuff while listening. I don’t need to be sold on “heh he’s such a cool dude” bullshit, or to be entertained too much.

I find Steve’s delivery perfect. It also makes the rare comedy moments 100x better.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I really hate the sickeningly upbeat, inflectiony stuff.

I too, find Austin Evans annoying.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

njsykora posted:

Yup. This.

It's amazing when you suddenly realize he is actually pissed off at something (like MSI or the whole short to ground GPU extender bracket) and just watch in awe.

Feels more impactful then a shouty person becoming more shouty.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Romes128 posted:

I too, find Austin Evans annoying.

Hey guys, it's Austin!

(did you read that in his voice in your head? cause I did)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I ran across an old, old Austin Evans vid once and its amazing what he managed to do to that accent.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I have no idea how he became popular, especially after the Scrapyard Wars PSU fiasco. Dude could've killed himself because he's a massive idiot that doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing. Why anyone would take his advice is beyond me.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I actually just watched a video of GN Steve interviewing that German overclocking/custom rig guy, Der...Bauersomethingorother? yesterday, and I didn't have any of his usual effects, because, well, he was using his normal conversational voice. I've been fine with his other videos where he's actually talking to somebody else, doing interviews and whatnot, too. I'm not a fan of shouty assholes, it's just, he's usually on the other end of the spectrum, far beyond his "normal" voice, to the 'reading a script in an unbroken long monotone sentence' realm.

I get why he does it, and it seems to work for lots of people, so, hey, all good, I suppose.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really hate the sickeningly upbeat, inflectiony stuff. I just want the content, and I like it delivered in audio form so I can do other stuff while listening. I don’t need to be sold on “heh he’s such a cool dude” bullshit, or to be entertained too much.

I find Steve’s delivery perfect. It also makes the rare comedy moments 100x better.

I don't want shouty either but tech people can sound normal like Dave2d and Paul's Hardware. I do agree with others that Steve is much more alive in interviews.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tech youtubers should talk like obama

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

They should talk like the original tech youtuber, Stewart Cheifet

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The dudes at Hardware Canucks, Dmitri and Eber talk like normal people. Eber in particular has an amazing voice, he should do voice overs for commercials, which I guess he does.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I feel like the most popular tech tubers haven’t been putting out that much content lately. Austin, TLD used to have a video like every five days and now it’s a couple weeks between events. Even MKBHD seems to have slowed down. I’m sure part of it is Covid, but it also seems like that space has become more mature and people are less into smart phones now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LionArcher posted:

people are less into smart phones now.

What do you mean by this? It still seems like everyone has a smartphone and new iPhones get jumped on.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

What do you mean by this? It still seems like everyone has a smartphone and new iPhones get jumped on.

People care less about what features new phones have and upgrade less often was the point, I assume because they're more mature technology these days.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I feel like the most popular tech tubers haven’t been putting out that much content lately. Austin, TLD used to have a video like every five days and now it’s a couple weeks between events. Even MKBHD seems to have slowed down. I’m sure part of it is Covid, but it also seems like that space has become more mature and people are less into smart phones now.

We’re in the dead months where no one releases anything. That’s all.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

We’re in the dead months where no one releases anything. That’s all.

Also, the stuff that is out is unobtanium (Ryzen 5000 has been out 4 months and is only now regularly staying in stock at MSRP and GPUs (both current- and last(!)-gen) are still only available at stratospheric pricing) so there's less demand for reviews to decide what to buy because the average consumer just can't buy stuff right now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've unsubbed to a few car youtubers who weren't wearing masks around people, maybe tech youtubers aren't either and are getting sick :v:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quite a few tech Youtubers and Twitch streamers I follow with Covid recently, almost like it's spreading

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
If anything I'm surprised it took almost a year for Jay to get it. The guy doesn't come out and say it but has all the signs of a trumper.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

well why not posted:

The dudes at Hardware Canucks, Dmitri and Eber talk like normal people. Eber in particular has an amazing voice, he should do voice overs for commercials, which I guess he does.

They also have the best cinematography in the tech slice of YouTube.

Their content can sometimes miss what I want but they always have great visuals and presentation

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They also have the best cinematography in the tech slice of YouTube.

Their content can sometimes miss what I want but they always have great visuals and presentation

Optimum Tech has amazing cinematography. Best I’ve seen.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I unfollowed 3D Printing Nerd because he was he was around people without a mask and no visible precautions. I didn't think it would bother me but it really did and his content sucks lately anyways.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

EngineerJoe posted:

I unfollowed 3D Printing Nerd because he was he was around people without a mask and no visible precautions. I didn't think it would bother me but it really did and his content sucks lately anyways.

I don't follow many tech tubers anymore, but LTT are the only ones I see wearing masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Romes128 posted:

I don't follow many tech tubers anymore, but LTT are the only ones I see wearing masks.

Bitwit and his wife worse masks when going to the starbucks drive-thru