Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

eh Fate's world building was kind of shallow in places but a 'name for a continent' is not the basis for, nor make or break of, fantasy worldbuilding.

No. It's just the most baseline expectation for worldbuilding.

Like, if you can't be bothered with one of the easiest things in the world, something that an intern could write in the margins of the artbook, that doesn't speak well of the amount of effort overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The Witcher is literally set on a place that everyone just calls "The Continent" and "The World"

I'm not sure this is actually the key defining piece of whether there's effort put into world building or not.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i can't believe you're bothering to argue with the person who went straight from "fates didn't even bother to give its world a name!" to "wait hold on, is giving the world a name really so important?" as if that was literally the only problem

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think Hoshido and Nohr work as the names of the continents just fine. Like the Fire Tribe totally counts as a different nation than where the 4 royals live (Shirasagi) and so do the other like 4 or 5 kingdoms/tribes you find throughout that place.

Just think of them as an intercontinental landmass sorta-dealio like Eurasia. Just... Y'know, less developed.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Alright, you only get one horse unit and its not a jagen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im begging you all to stop replying/quoting this guy so i dont have to see them anymore

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i can't wait for fire emblem fates 2: this time it's actually Good :v: fates had many problems, especially needing like a name-name for the actual continent like magvel and then keep the country names

and personally it'd be p sick to have an FE in like, fantasy southeast asia or smth

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I just want another good game, I'm not all that picky or demanding. Just don't get worse. Remain fun to play, have good writing

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

littleorv posted:

Alright, you only get one horse unit and its not a jagen

no!!!!!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If the COs could hang out between battles and eventually smooch, Advance Wars would still be alive today.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

No. It's just the most baseline expectation for worldbuilding.

Like, if you can't be bothered with one of the easiest things in the world, something that an intern could write in the margins of the artbook, that doesn't speak well of the amount of effort overall.
lmao i read 15 books set in a world fans still call "Randland" after the main character because the creator never gave a name to the place in the 20 years he wrote them before dying

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fateslandia has a canon name, but if it was spoken it would drat us all.

Yes: That even includes me, your old buddy Wark.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Fateslandia has a canon name, but if it was spoken it would drat us all.

Is it Cousin Fugbert's Funtime Polka Party and Used Bumper Car lot?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/excelblem/status/1368268060201611266?s=21

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Are you the mysterious dancer?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
One thing I'd really like in a new FE is modular difficulty settings.

Failing that, at least give us a difficulty or two between "too easy" and "horseshit".

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

IntSys should build in optional modifiers for NG+ for the next FE, like Reverse Recruitment or every character starting in their alt class (if that’s a thing like in Fates)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can have worldbuilding without giving the continent a name, but fateslandia not having a name feels less like a decision and more like something that happened because they didnt care. the world map in game is also extremely bland and boring, and there's maybe 5 or 6 identifiable locations in the entire game.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Whining in a thread that people are responding to my posting enemies, totes a normal thing to do

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Perfect Potato posted:

Whining in a thread that people are responding to my posting enemies, totes a normal thing to do

:hmmno:

chill out!

edit: also it kinda sucks to have someone immediately go "well your opinion is Wrong" about anything fe related for like 5 pages in the thread

Booky fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 7, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nihilarian posted:

lmao i read 15 books set in a world fans still call "Randland" after the main character because the creator never gave a name to the place in the 20 years he wrote them before dying

I don't think anybody could accuse RJ of a lack of effort. Or bad world building.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

when they remake path of radiance and radiant dawn they should have ike and soren kiss. multiple times

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I dunno, I like the idea of an FE protagonist whose canonical attitude is "we're in the middle of a war, stop flirting with me" for sheer novelty value if nothing else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes, but ike gay

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

yes, but ike gay

Our positions aren't mutually exclusive.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Extra Tasty posted:

when they remake path of radiance and radiant dawn they should have ike and soren kiss. multiple times

:hmmyes:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Wow, no one likes Ranulf here?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I dunno, I like the idea of an FE protagonist whose canonical attitude is "we're in the middle of a war, stop flirting with me" for sheer novelty value if nothing else.

That would be boring. I'm here for the love that can bloom on the battlefield as much as the tactical combat.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

Wow, no one likes Ranulf here?
Ranulf can do way better than Ike, though.

Eimi posted:

That would be boring. I'm here for the love that can bloom on the battlefield as much as the tactical combat.
Goddammit, Otacon :mad:

(Honestly, though? Same. I cannot live without my drat shipping at this point)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Wark Say posted:

(Honestly, though? Same. I cannot live without my drat shipping at this point)

after fateswakening i very much can

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm going to ship whether or not supports are a thing. They cannot stop me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hellioning posted:

I'm going to ship whether or not supports are a thing. They cannot stop me.

So fe2 is your favorite?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wark Say posted:

Ranulf can do way better than Ike, though.
And see I feel like Ike can do way better than Soren. Soren is in no way equipped to handle any kind of human relationship and him shacking up with Ike just feels like it's a dead-end for Ike more than anything else. Ike has way more chemistry with Ranulf in the base conversation at the start of RD Part 3 than he does with Soren in the entire game (which is largely the fault of RD's lack of supports entirely)

That said, in Path of Radiance Ike talks to basically every character in the game like he's already sleeping with them, so I'd be happier if he could just swing both ways.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

And see I feel like Ike can do way better than Soren. Soren is in no way equipped to handle any kind of human relationship and him shacking up with Ike just feels like it's a dead-end for Ike more than anything else. Ike has way more chemistry with Ranulf in the base conversation at the start of RD Part 3 than he does with Soren in the entire game (which is largely the fault of RD's lack of supports entirely)

That said, in Path of Radiance Ike talks to basically every character in the game like he's already sleeping with them, so I'd be happier if he could just swing both ways.

What? Soren's kind of a bastard and he's got some deep seated self-loathing going on but how is he not equipped to handle a human relationship? He's not a broken person or anything.

Also, really don't think Ike does much flirting in PoR. That's a real weird take.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did you miss the super romantic convo soren and ike have in fe10 where they hug

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ike literally has a whole base convo in PoR where Gatrie tries to goad him into ogling women, which he sighs at and leaves.

So that uh. Sure is a take!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Endorph posted:

did you miss the super romantic convo soren and ike have in fe10 where they hug
Oh I saw that, eventually, after like three playthroughs because of all the hoops RD makes you sit through to see that. And honestly it never read as all that romantic, just mostly tragic. Soren doesn't really bring anything into the relationship except dourness. In the end it seems like while Ike the only person Soren could end up being with, Ike has a slew of better options.

Not saying Ike doesn't like dudes, of course. Just that the cat boy is better than the goth boy.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

No sorry still reeling from the idea that Ike Fire Emblem is super flirty.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Me reading about Soren crying in Ike's arms after Ike remembers the day they met: "drat, this is so tragic". :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The real question though, is Ike a himbo?