Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
I've had just about enough of TV Time and their nonsense. I can't take it anymore, this app almost never works on desktop. It's dumpster juice compared to the kind of sites music, anime and film lovers have :negative: I really hope letterboxd wasn't just teasing when they said they were adding a tv counterpart to their site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been watching a bunch of standup on Netflix, a mistake really. 95% of it these days are comics complaining about "cancel culture" and "bloggers" nonstop it's petty and pointless.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dress to kill was pretty much the last stand up i enjoyed

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Brian Regan's new special is good.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm halfway through Harley Quinn season 1 and while I enjoy most of the jokes and the weird takes on DC characters...I find myself getting bored by the plot of each episode. Does it get better?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

I've been watching a bunch of standup on Netflix, a mistake really. 95% of it these days are comics complaining about "cancel culture" and "bloggers" nonstop it's petty and pointless.

I forget who but one of the old great comics had a routine about how, if stand up comics are terrible, it reflects more on the audience than anything else because they explicitly only talk about stuff that gets a reaction

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm trying to remember the name of a one-season TV show (maybe a summer show) from several years ago, where a female TV reporter's child is kidnapped and murdered, and a former cop-turned-PI ignores his mother(?)'s pleas to find evidence to get his mentally-challenged brother's execution stopped, and he ends up being captured by some organized criminal whose wife he was sleeping with. The reporter's life falls apart and she ends up strapping weights to herself and jumping into a lake at the same time as the PI is also dumped into the same lake by the criminals, they both die, only to wake up a week or so earlier, remembering everything, and they have to prevent the kid from being killed and find the real person who did the crime the mentally-challenged brother is going to be executed for.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a one-season TV show (maybe a summer show) from several years ago, where a female TV reporter's child is kidnapped and murdered, and a former cop-turned-PI ignores his mother(?)'s pleas to find evidence to get his mentally-challenged brother's execution stopped, and he ends up being captured by some organized criminal whose wife he was sleeping with. The reporter's life falls apart and she ends up strapping weights to herself and jumping into a lake at the same time as the PI is also dumped into the same lake by the criminals, they both die, only to wake up a week or so earlier, remembering everything, and they have to prevent the kid from being killed and find the real person who did the crime the mentally-challenged brother is going to be executed for.
I don’t know what the gently caress this is but I’d watch it and for some reason I think I’ve seen it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I googled "show with reporter's child murdered time travel" and found it:

Somewhere Between

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Catching up on Mr. Mayor and it was good until it hit the 6th episode, Respect in the Workplace and got really good. I hope it keeps at that level, because that was a great episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

socialsecurity posted:

The only time I pay attention to stand-up on Netflix is if John Mulaney drops a new special.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

swickles posted:

Catching up on Mr. Mayor and it was good until it hit the 6th episode, Respect in the Workplace and got really good. I hope it keeps at that level, because that was a great episode.

I gave up after 2 episodes. Might have to give it one more try...

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm watching Avenue 5 again. I liked it the first time and it is so much better the second time around, most likely due to the whole last year being an extreme case of everyone only believing what they wanted to hear.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Sebastian Maniscalco being a stand-up "star" is all I need to know to avoid any special that looks like the hook is "smug white male comedian"

That brand of humor can go die in a fire.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

Sebastian Maniscalco being a stand-up "star" is all I need to know to avoid any special that looks like the hook is "smug white male comedian"

That brand of humor can go die in a fire.

I'm pretty sure he's the guy I watched a preview of where the "joke" he told was him making fun of people on the treadmill at the gym with their "bitch buds" headphones. As he mockingly pretended to put earbuds in.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I gave up after 2 episodes. Might have to give it one more try...

If you'd got time, definitely give a later episode like "Respect in the Workplace" a try. It was the first episode I saw and it hooked me a lot more than I think the first episode or 2 would have after I went back and checked the rest of the series. It's just firing on all cylinders and it's not like there's a lot of backstory you need to know.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm watching Avenue 5 again. I liked it the first time and it is so much better the second time around, most likely due to the whole last year being an extreme case of everyone only believing what they wanted to hear.

I discovered Avenue 5 a few weeks ago and loved it. It's now the show that I recommend to most people, being easy to binge and pretty on the nose with this pandemic. Also, that airlock scene is an absolute gem.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

If you'd got time, definitely give a later episode like "Respect in the Workplace" a try. It was the first episode I saw and it hooked me a lot more than I think the first episode or 2 would have after I went back and checked the rest of the series. It's just firing on all cylinders and it's not like there's a lot of backstory you need to know.

I'll give that episode a go.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Timby posted:

The only time I pay attention to stand-up on Netflix is if John Mulaney drops a new special.

(That doesn’t have kids in it).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone know if this Oprah royal interview is on Paramount+? My wife wants to watch it and that seems as good a reason as any to try P+ for a month.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

socialsecurity posted:

I think I hate "cancel culture" more than "pc run amok." It's the same old entitled "but i want to be an rear end in a top hat" argument but with the added fun of usually being said by people who have literally got the largest platforms imaginable to whine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

At one point Jordan Peterson was making like $80,000 per month on Patreon because he bitched about cancel culture so I can see the attraction

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I finally caught Debris on reruns:

These motherfuckers are way too casual about touching the weird alien poo poo. "Oh, is that a floating vortex made of alien metal shards and human bodies? Let me just poke it with my finger; I am sure these latex gloves will protect me from alien necromancy."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Has this past year not driven into your head how impossibly stupid human beings are?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Has this past year not driven into your head how impossibly stupid human beings are?

This is why Avenue 5 is the most accurate sci-fi show ever created.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm having a hard time not getting absolute sky-high expectations for the next season of A5.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

These motherfuckers are way too casual about touching the weird alien poo poo. "Oh, is that a floating vortex made of alien metal shards and human bodies? Let me just poke it with my finger; I am sure these latex gloves will protect me from alien necromancy."

It's the easiest way to get alien superpowers. Poke everything.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

feedmyleg posted:

I'm having a hard time not getting absolute sky-high expectations for the next season of A5.

I wonder if/how the season 2 plot points changed due to current events. The season 1 finale aired right when the pandemic started. The poo poo that occurred over the following 6-10 months could translate in to an entire season on its own.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Let me tell you that watching A5 right before *gestures around* all of this, but also being in the know of realizing we were weeks/day away from fundamental changes to life and society that Americans were not at all prepared for was ~A Thing~.

I really need to watch it again now that *gestures around*...you know.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's the easiest way to get alien superpowers. Poke everything.

It's only been one episode so far but I am already kind of scratching my head as to what extent the general populace is aware of the debris situation, considering pieces of considerable size can do stuff like "vaporize an entire lake on landing".

Since the various secret services of the world seem to be on a gotta-catch-em-all mission you'd think they would offer significant and public blanket rewards for tipsters who identify and call in sightings, instead of letting someone admire a physics-shredding chunk of cosmic wibble-wobble in their backyard garden as a lawn ornament until it starts ressurecting the dead and turning people into catatonic grief batteries???

The in-media-res setup is much appreciated instead of the usual six episodes of foregrounding but they really need to start nailing stuff like this down soon or it just seems like the Orbital agency has no sense of urgency and is content to just let a whole ton of tragedies occur that they're waiting to mop up after the fact.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Thanks to whoever mentioned Mythic Quest in the year in review thread!

Nothing earth-shattering but just a really likable cast - light-hearted, and fun. The Australian lead is really charming and I hope to see her in more stuff. Also, that fifth episode ... really impressive they were able to pull that off (TLDR - they crammed an entirely new, Halt and Catch Fire-lite TV show season into a single episode).

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Hey man, the main characters are spies, not scientists. How would they know not to touch that supernatural dust devil?

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 9, 2021

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just got the local coroner to change cause of death from 'materialised through ceiling in front of many witnesses' to accidental woopsie, no biggie they do that all the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Welp, this is what I get for liking something.

https://twitter.com/KimsConvenience/status/1369013822145576964

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The CW is once again trying to copy a British panel show by doing their own version of Would I Lie to You?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there an American format of show that consistently fails in GB

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

muscles like this! posted:

The CW is once again trying to copy a British panel show by doing their own version of Would I Lie to You?

maybe it'll work

LOL!!!!!!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

zoux posted:

The NFL.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Simone Magus posted:

I googled "show with reporter's child murdered time travel" and found it:

Somewhere Between

That's the one, thanks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Days Like These was a remake of That 70s Show that was so bad, they never tried anything like it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

EL BROMANCE posted:

Days Like These was a remake of That 70s Show that was so bad, they never tried anything like it again.

I think in '93, the UK did a version of The Golden Girls called "The Brighton Belles"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brighton_Belles