Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I can't do lockboxes at all, and it does indeed suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Thom12255 posted:

I'm a firm believer that locking the X4 timeline behind super tedious lockbox puzzles is pretty stupid as most of the lore is in there but very few people that play these games actually know it because it's never shown in-game.

Hey now

You can also buy a giant irl book!

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 6, 2021

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Archonex posted:

Pretty sure it also has some of the stuff that only really shows up in the lore too, like a smuggling compartment.

these are in the movie

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I've been exploring the galaxy while I wait for research to complete and I checked in after an hour or so and there was still no progress. After some searching I realized I'd done absolutely everything correctly...except assign a manager. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

On a different note, how do satellites work? I have them all over the place, but sometimes they don't give me information about a station. Even if they're right next to it. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. What gives?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Travic posted:

So I've been exploring the galaxy while I wait for research to complete and I checked in after an hour or so and there was still no progress. After some searching I realized I'd done absolutely everything correctly...except assign a manager. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

On a different note, how do satellites work? I have them all over the place, but sometimes they don't give me information about a station. Even if they're right next to it. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. What gives?

The station in question is probably vertically up or down far enough that it puts it outside the spherical radius of the satellite's sensor range. The map doesn't really handle verticality all that well.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

chglcu posted:

The station in question is probably vertically up or down far enough that it puts it outside the spherical radius of the satellite's sensor range. The map doesn't really handle verticality all that well.

They're all on the ecliptic plane. I mean right next the the station.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I believe satellites will update the stations trade offers but to see the full information about the station and its storage you need to have scanned the station with your scanner.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Does seeding a bunch of sectors with satellites still slow the game to a crawl or was that optimized?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Psycho Landlord posted:

Does seeding a bunch of sectors with satellites still slow the game to a crawl or was that optimized?

Seems much better now, but there's also a mod that adds sector satellites which reduces some of the duldrum of laying them out.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Nice, thanks

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Thom12255 posted:

I believe satellites will update the stations trade offers but to see the full information about the station and its storage you need to have scanned the station with your scanner.

Ah ok. Thanks.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I've gone from travelling using auto pilot to assigning a captain to my personal fighter to do mundane poo poo for me and taking over when I need to to just parking my fighter on a frigate and using that as my personal taxi, im sure I can hit new levels of decadence when I get enough cash to get large ships but I'm not sure if they'd have enough speed to be worth it

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Agean90 posted:

I've gone from travelling amusing auto pilot to assigning a captain to my personal fighter to do mundane poo poo for me and taking over when I need to to just parking my fighter on a frigate and using that as my personal taxi, im sure I can hit new levels of decadence when I get enough cash to get large ships but I'm now sure if they'd have enough speed to be worth it

The game really starts when you no longer can be bothered to fly yourself around places.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Agean90 posted:

I've gone from travelling using auto pilot to assigning a captain to my personal fighter to do mundane poo poo for me and taking over when I need to to just parking my fighter on a frigate and using that as my personal taxi, im sure I can hit new levels of decadence when I get enough cash to get large ships but I'm not sure if they'd have enough speed to be worth it

If being chauffeured around by my pilots is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Especially when it's on something M-sized or bigger because then you can get bridge chatter.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
After getting teleportation tech I usually park a small ship at a remote luxury outpost with little traffic, like that pirate HQ in the eastern edge. Much better fps there, nobody to bother me (especially no police), and if I need to supervise the empire I can teleport myself to my assets.

I doubt the devs will waste development time on it, but I'd really like to have a few pointless luxury modules for a station. Building a decadent luxury tourism station would be rad.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Sorry to keep asking questions, but as much as I love this game it's just...baffling.

My station traders keep getting stuck on "Searching for Trades". Not all of them just the ones responsible for building a new station or bringing stuff for research.

Stations have a manager, they have money, the traders are set up and even show what wares they want to buy. They just...sit there.

I tried restarting them and even deleting all their trade rules in case that was the problem. No dice. Please help.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I mean, it's possible there's no valid trades?

e: Goods in high demand - and a lot of the research and station building goods are often in high demand - are often only available in limited quantity and high price and even then only because an AI hasn't gotten around to reserving them yet. Additionally, they can only pull from your information network, so if you don't have updated trade prices somewhere that can be a problem for them too.

I know also I screwed up the config on buying research goods at least once.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 7, 2021

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I ran into that problem when building my first real station. It's them not being able to find stuff in their range, usually hull parts. Find new factories to buy from or just manually que up a trade outside of them then que up dripping it off at the build storage

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Travic posted:

Sorry to keep asking questions, but as much as I love this game it's just...baffling.

I still haven't played 4 yet but I just want to assure you that you should always ask questions about these games because of the second part of this sentence.

X owns. It is also an obtuse nightmare mess of conflicting design decisions and extremely Egosoft ideas about free time.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Travic posted:

My station traders keep getting stuck on "Searching for Trades". Not all of them just the ones responsible for building a new station or bringing stuff for research.

Stations have a manager, they have money, the traders are set up and even show what wares they want to buy. They just...sit there.

I tried restarting them and even deleting all their trade rules in case that was the problem. No dice. Please help.

New managers with low skills will have a very limited range to search for trades, it's helpful to popin and give them a skill seminar when it's a new station.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Hmm. The manager has 4 stars and the traders have 3. :(

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh yeah that's weird. In the behaviour tab for them maybe check that the gate count and item types are correct? But yeah might be like Agean90 said and that the required goods are too far away.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also what buy prices are you using? You might have to tell them to buy at high prices though the station should automate price based on stock levels by default.

Also do you have any storage allocated for the wares? Or storage capacity generally, production modules do not come with storage capacity and you need liquid storage for gases (but not water, I think, water is a container good iirc) solid storage for raw minerals, and container storage for everything else.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh one other thing to check (LOL this game is so complicated) is that if NPC traders are on the way even from 5 sectors away then your ships won't queue up orders to buy anything. You can see in the Trade Offers for your build storage if there's any pending deliveries, I think it's the count in brackets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A screenshot of the logical overview for your station might help with diagnostics too, as it generally shows all the wares and supply efforts/storage for a station.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So uh. *clears throat*. Yeah. Um. I'm dumb. The small container storage was full. So that's the PHQ figured out. Thanks for the advice. Haven't figured out what's wrong with the station building though.

*slinks off*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Station building can be a bit of a problem because claytronic and hull party are often severely bottlenecked. If you leave pricing on auto you may not find a single seller.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the moment I finished my ore refinery I decided to just start pocketing away cash until I could get a blueprint for hull parts. Looks like it's pretty much a money printer

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The Xenon decided to go for a walk in The Void, I teleported to my defense platform and:

One Destroyer I and 3 Ks, cleanup is going to take hours...

Parts of the game might be a little messy but some of the graphics and audio work they've done is just fantastic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Station building can be a bit of a problem because claytronic and hull party are often severely bottlenecked. If you leave pricing on auto you may not find a single seller.

Yeah for station building you probably want to just set them to max and eat the cost, and work towards supplying your own hull parts as fast as possible, they're the most used ware in the universe I think, and you need it for all your stations too.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Defense platforms and station modules Do Work but only in sector. Once they are out of focus, or whatever the engine term is, they are kinda crappy.

Teleport to your defense stations if you want to wreck them Xenon!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Agean90 posted:

Yeah the moment I finished my ore refinery I decided to just start pocketing away cash until I could get a blueprint for hull parts. Looks like it's pretty much a money printer

Unlock EMP bombs for your space suit and the research the tech that lets you get blueprints from scanning.

EVA next to a hull plant, send your ship away, launch EMP bomb at the hull module and detonate. Scan the leaks, acquire blueprint, teleport/slowboat to your ship. The station will deaggro eventually.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Gaaaah. Ok the PHQ completed the research then the traders gave up again. I'm starting to get really frustrated.

One trader bought 150 Smart chips then everyone gave up.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Travic posted:

Gaaaah. Ok the PHQ completed the research then the traders gave up again. I'm starting to get really frustrated.

One trader bought 150 Smart chips then everyone gave up.

Last time I was doing a playthrough, after every research job finished I had to untick cycle the boxes for automatic storage allocation to make it all go back to working.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Thom12255 posted:

Last time I was doing a playthrough, after every research job finished I had to untick cycle the boxes for automatic storage allocation to make it all go back to working.

That did it! Thank you very much.

Whenever I'd start a new research anything new would be 0/0. Like:

Advanced electronics 0/0
Energy cells 2000/2000.

:edit: Nope. It's broken again. Nividium 0/0 and now I can't dock. :(

:edit The Second: Ok I figured out why my traders weren't getting materials to build my stations. Apparently it will only allow a certain amount at a time. It'll request some then build a few modules then request some more. I guess to avoid crashing the economy when I need 15,000 hull parts. And a restart fixed the Nividium. Phew.

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 8, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Okay my new "easy mode" for getting a game started is now adding an alert in the new beta alerting section for any SCA ships L or XL sized and just boarding the poo poo out of everything. I've boarded and flipped four destroyers now at 9-14m a piece, so fun.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 8, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ive never boarded a ship in this game, i should learn to do that, that sounds fun.

also looks like terrans have a completely self contained economy. lots of new wares, all individual to terrans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYYDwEtL1D4

their stations look amazing.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's super fun and rewarding, blasting off the turrets and shield generators of a destroyer and listening to your marines murder the crew is pretty cool.

Also that sounds awesome.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

queeb posted:

ive never boarded a ship in this game, i should learn to do that, that sounds fun.

also looks like terrans have a completely self contained economy. lots of new wares, all individual to terrans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYYDwEtL1D4

their stations look amazing.

To be fair, they did in X3 as well and that usually resulted in their economy being completely dead within a few days play time and they couldn't survive without the player doing everything for them. Though as long as that doesn't happen I think it's fun! Can set up different supply chains in parts of the universe and make maximum profitss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Thom12255 posted:

To be fair, they did in X3 as well and that usually resulted in their economy being completely dead within a few days play time and they couldn't survive without the player doing everything for them. Though as long as that doesn't happen I think it's fun! Can set up different supply chains in parts of the universe and make maximum profitss.

ahhh, i didnt play x3 so thats good to know

it looks like everything terran only needs the 3 base production modules to produce. so shipyards, station building, everything all use the same 3 materials. makes it really easy to get going in their space, but those modules are insanely resource hungry.

this is 1 of each basic production module:

so yeah... you dont need anything other than those, like there's no hull parts or claytronics or anything, but holy gently caress you're gonna be mining like crazy to make terran poo poo.