Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Rocketwitch posted:

When did you tell your partner that you're pregnant? Right after a positive pee stick?

I'm three days late and tested positive. Already called my OB/GYN and they told me to come in on monday. I'm thinking about telling my SO after getting the confirmation from my Doc.
Kinda scared it won't stick this early and getting my husband needlessly excited.

(Yes, I just needed to tell someone and chose you lovely goons.)

Lots and lots of congrats!

I told him right away but was so adamant that it might not stick that he got confused and wasn't entirely sure what it meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Rocketwitch posted:

When did you tell your partner that you're pregnant? Right after a positive pee stick?
There is no way I could keep it a secret for even a moment! I called my husband into the bathroom to watch the pee stick with me. But everyone is different, so tell him whenever you feel is right. Though I would think he would like to know right away :)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Rocketwitch posted:

I'm three days late and tested positive. Already called my OB/GYN and they told me to come in on monday. I'm thinking about telling my SO after getting the confirmation from my Doc.
Kinda scared it won't stick this early and getting my husband needlessly excited.

(Yes, I just needed to tell someone and chose you lovely goons.)

Congrats! I think when to tell is a very personal choice. My general advice as to when to tell people who are important to you- partner, friends, relatives, etc.- is to consider when you would want (and/or need) their support however things turn out.

As a couple’s experience, pregnancy (and parenting) can hit highs and lows pretty wildly- I would encourage sharing with your partner as soon as you feel comfortable. It’s a heck of a ride together, and I’m not a huge believer in holding back the joys or disappointments to someone that is supposed to be one of your most intimate sources of support (said as someone who dealt with early and lateish miscarriages, as well as infertility struggles and, thankfully, successful pregnancy).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, you can tell him when you want. My wife went heavy deep on the pee strips of various testing criteria. We didn't do a full hooray until we got the confirmation from the doctor, so I understand your instinct.

Just took my baby and wife home last night. I miss that nurse button. I miss that nurse button so bad. Mom in law button ain't poo poo compared to nurse button.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I told everyone who I would want help / comfort from if I miscarried. Also I can’t keep a secret to save my life. I told my partner within uh minutes of a positive stick.

Rocketwitch
Sep 2, 2011

Thank you everyone! I thought about your experiences and realized that monday is still so far away and I don't want to wait that long; I told my husband at dinner.
We're both excited and it's kinda hard to realize it's real.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, you can tell him when you want. My wife went heavy deep on the pee strips of various testing criteria. We didn't do a full hooray until we got the confirmation from the doctor, so I understand your instinct.

Just took my baby and wife home last night. I miss that nurse button. I miss that nurse button so bad. Mom in law button ain't poo poo compared to nurse button.

Congrats!!!!

And yes that nurse button. I was fairly panicked about not having one anymore when we went home.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So now that we are back from the hospital every time I see a neighbor I explain that I have a baby now. I've gotten it down to like a 3 minute impromptu spiel of consciousness.

So I've been explaining everything to my baby in extremely reductive wizard speak. Just calling things spells and ancient legends.

This afternoon I weathered my first "checklist item unknown" cry. The last thing I tried was marching around the apartment with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVo9pVTelcE

It transfered his tears to be mine. The secret is to steal sleep, I was able to take 20 minutes after taking out the mama diaper trash and baby diaper trash. You have to TAKE IT, no hesitation no puttering around. Wife refuses or doesn't realize how short the windows are to close your eyes. The madness is setting in I'm sure.

So something along the lines of this explaination has been recited to neighbors. I personally thanked each neighbor who cared for my dog. If I look crazy enough they won't ask to come into my apartment to see my baby, nobody new breathes my babies air until the immunities build up around week 4 or 6.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Congrats Kirby! And yeah, I can't imagine waiting to tell my husband. He was asleep when I took my first positive test for this pregnancy and I was bouncing off the walls waiting for him to wake up.

Just had the dating scan this morning. There's a tiny person in there with a spine (sort of) and a heartbeat and little almost arms and legs. It's madness. And given that I'm due three days before my own birthday, there's a good chance we end up sharing the day.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ok so true to the thread title: anyone who suffered from hemorrhoids, when during the pregnancy did you develop them? I'm at 27 weeks and starting to think that I might be getting them.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

hallo spacedog posted:

Ok so true to the thread title: anyone who suffered from hemorrhoids, when during the pregnancy did you develop them? I'm at 27 weeks and starting to think that I might be getting them.

I didn’t until about a week before my due date, but I’m pretty sure they can crop up anytime.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Had little peanut on 2-13 at 36 weeks thanks to a sudden elevation in blood pressure and everything is going so much better than I dared to hope. No need for NICU time and she latches like a champ, both things we had issues with on #1 (who was a 37wk induction, so I was definitely worried). It was SO nice to get to go home from the hospital after two days. I feel fuckin amazing, it's so nice to have the baby and not to be pregnant anymore

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Congrats, glad it all went well for you. I am jealous, I also can't wait to not be pregnant anymore lol.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

hallo spacedog posted:

I didn't really get any until after pushing baby out. They aren't terrible and are mainly internal but have persisted 2 years now so I imagine potential pregnancy #2 will involve more butt problems.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

I got them really badly at around 28 weeks with Baby one, and it got bad enough where I couldn’t sit or stand without significant discomfort towards the end. Lidocaine cream plus prescription hemorrhoid cream plus witch Hazel pads with wiping made things slightly more tolerable. After pushing her out, the hemorrhoids plus the tear and stitches made it impossible to do any kind of comfortable movement for several days.

The one positive thing is that because my butt hole had been so painful during pregnancy, the first poop postpartum wasn’t a big deal at all.

They never went away either, just got smaller. Now at 24 weeks with Baby two and they are making a comeback.

Welcome to your new life...

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I had them before I even got pregnant but they never caused me any issues during the pregnancy. They got good and inflamed after pushing baby out, but got better a couple of weeks postpartum.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks everyone... I guess it's then very possible at this point that's what the issue is. Hopefully they won't get worse and taking some miralax seems to have helped for now so I will continue to try and drink a ton of fluids and keep an eye on the situation.

This is not the pregnancy glow I was expecting!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

marchantia posted:

I didn't really get any until after pushing baby out. They aren't terrible and are mainly internal but have persisted 2 years now so I imagine potential pregnancy #2 will involve more butt problems.

Seconding the "they never really go away." Four years on from my first kid being born and I still deal with them. More annoying than painful, but still. 11 weeks in on cooking the second one and they haven't gone into overdrive... yet...

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

My wife had a positive pregnancy test last Thursday, and noticed some spotting that Saturday. Didn't really cause a lot of alarm, though she did another test and that time the second line wasn't as bright. She just noticed some dark spotting again though, six days after the first. Is that normal? She doesn't get to see the doctor until next Friday so we're just googling stuff; from what I see, implantation spotting should only last a few days at most. Would another pee test even tell us anything?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Well, the second pee test being lighter could mean less hcg because something's gone wrong or because she drank more water the night before. The thing about not getting to see the doctor, is that her initial appointment for the pregnancy or one she made after the spotting?

Either way, let the doctor know about the new heavy spotting, and the old spotting if you haven't. Even if they can't get you in, they may be able to order blood tests to track hcg levels.

Edit: Spotting can be perfectly normal or an early sign of problems. The only thing that can really tell you anything at this point is a blood test, which is why I say that.

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 5, 2021

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Emily Spinach posted:

Well, the second pee test being lighter could mean less hcg because something's gone wrong or because she drank more water the night before. The thing about not getting to see the doctor, is that her initial appointment for the pregnancy or one she made after the spotting?

Either way, let the doctor know about the new heavy spotting, and the old spotting if you haven't. Even if they can't get you in, they may be able to order blood tests to track hcg levels.

Edit: Spotting can be perfectly normal or an early sign of problems. The only thing that can really tell you anything at this point is a blood test, which is why I say that.

First appointment, she called right after our initial excitement but that was the earliest appointment available. It'll definitely be brought up with the doctor, but spotting nearly a week apart isn't necessarily a red flag? Like, I know it could be a problem, just like regular spotting, but didn't know if the time range could mean it's more likely a problem.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Friend posted:

First appointment, she called right after our initial excitement but that was the earliest appointment available. It'll definitely be brought up with the doctor, but spotting nearly a week apart isn't necessarily a red flag? Like, I know it could be a problem, just like regular spotting, but didn't know if the time range could mean it's more likely a problem.

Sorry, when I said let the doctor know, I meant call the doctor now. Don't wait for the appointment. Like the edit says, it can be a red flag or it can be completely harmless, but the only way to know for sure that the pregnancy is progressing as it should is a blood test (technically two, 48 hours apart, to see if the hcg levels are rising like they should). Fwiw, I had a similar issue back in October, but with even longer to wait before my initial first appointment. Because of the spotting, though, the midwife was able to get me in right away, and I'm telling you what she told me then--it could be perfectly normal, but it's hard to tell just from spotting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's called a pregnancy test but really it's an hcg hormone test

It's super exciting but there's a reason why they sell them in three, five and seven packs. Spotting can mean any number of things, you'll want to talk to your doc, looks like you have an appt now so that's good. Spotting isn't uncommon

Big milestones are 6 and especially 12 weeks, but until then stay cautiously optimistic. Your doc can walk you through what's next.

Early congrats! It IS genuinely super exciting. The first six weeks go by really fast. If you're getting a positive test, you're already at, I think, week two and part way into week 3

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Just had our first kid on 2/26 and she's amazing and perfect and I can tell we're progressing along the learning curve of how to take care of her but I'm still overthinking everything anyway.

Right now I'm obsessing over burping. Am I doing it wrong or does she really not need to burp between boobs hardly at all? I swear I can hear her quietly burp through her nose occasionally while she's still latched. She doesn't usually get fussy after a feeding, so I know it's not a real problem I need to be worried about. Honestly, I think it comes down to not being able to predict/instigate spitups. I'll have the burp cloth handy all through the feeding and while I've got her with me after, but she either doesn't spit up at all or waits 20-40 minutes to spit up after I've put her down for a nap. The spit doesn't phase her at all, I just worry about her lying in the wet while we sleep or possibly breathing in wrong and choking a bit as it comes up. Am I being paranoid? Can I just accept that she's fine and I can wipe off the dried spit and throw her clothes in the laundry later without feeling like a bad parent?

TLDR: Looking for advice/anecdotes/reassurance around burping and spit up management, please.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
My first kid never burped or spit up, ever. If something was coming up out of him it was going to be full bore puking. Now #2 pretty reliably burps after eating of you just set her upright for a couple minutes, but so far I can't figure out how to predict her spit ups, which are low volume but also come out of her nose which is terrifying to me. She doesn't seem to care at all, and has been fine regardless of whether I catch it right away or only notice later

All this to say, every kid is different and they're probably going to be fine

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

DaChurl posted:

Just had our first kid on 2/26 and she's amazing and perfect and I can tell we're progressing along the learning curve of how to take care of her but I'm still overthinking everything anyway.

Right now I'm obsessing over burping. Am I doing it wrong or does she really not need to burp between boobs hardly at all? I swear I can hear her quietly burp through her nose occasionally while she's still latched. She doesn't usually get fussy after a feeding, so I know it's not a real problem I need to be worried about. Honestly, I think it comes down to not being able to predict/instigate spitups. I'll have the burp cloth handy all through the feeding and while I've got her with me after, but she either doesn't spit up at all or waits 20-40 minutes to spit up after I've put her down for a nap. The spit doesn't phase her at all, I just worry about her lying in the wet while we sleep or possibly breathing in wrong and choking a bit as it comes up. Am I being paranoid? Can I just accept that she's fine and I can wipe off the dried spit and throw her clothes in the laundry later without feeling like a bad parent?

TLDR: Looking for advice/anecdotes/reassurance around burping and spit up management, please.

Babies getting fed straight from the boob swallow less air.

As far as burping, in my own experience I didn't do direct breastfeeding. I gave burping an honest try after every feeding but sometimes after 20 minutes I still didn't have a burp, I just laid her down on her back and let her be. Sometimes she would be dry when she woke up, some times she would spit up a little and if she did it was a quick change of onesie and sheet change. We bought a lot of sheets and basic onesies so we had to do laundry less frequently.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

John Cenas Jorts posted:

My first kid never burped or spit up, ever. If something was coming up out of him it was going to be full bore puking. Now #2 pretty reliably burps after eating of you just set her upright for a couple minutes, but so far I can't figure out how to predict her spit ups, which are low volume but also come out of her nose which is terrifying to me. She doesn't seem to care at all, and has been fine regardless of whether I catch it right away or only notice later

All this to say, every kid is different and they're probably going to be fine

Sarah posted:

Babies getting fed straight from the boob swallow less air.

As far as burping, in my own experience I didn't do direct breastfeeding. I gave burping an honest try after every feeding but sometimes after 20 minutes I still didn't have a burp, I just laid her down on her back and let her be. Sometimes she would be dry when she woke up, some times she would spit up a little and if she did it was a quick change of onesie and sheet change. We bought a lot of sheets and basic onesies so we had to do laundry less frequently.

Thanks, y'all, I appreciate the reassurance. That's a good point about the extra sheets and onesies. I knew I'd need to take stock of the random poo poo we got from the registry and fill in the gaps once she got here and we could tell what was needed and what's not. Making a list and ordering some practical stuff online sounds like a good, low-stress way to feel productive right now.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Yeah, I'm breastfeeding and if she doesn't burp within a minute or so and doesn't seem fussy from gas, we just carry on. Doesn't seem to affect her spit-up rate.

Extra sheets and onesies are handy, more so for the inevitable diaper blowouts.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My ten month old and I both burped at the table at the same time the other night and we both burst out laughing. It was so good.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

External Organs posted:

My ten month old and I both burped at the table at the same time the other night and we both burst out laughing. It was so good.

Excellent. I'm looking forward to her being able to laugh. She had a series of loud, well-timed poops the other day that had me and my husband laughing like idiots.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Today, on the 14th day of my son's time on earth, he has peed on grandma. He has already got ma, grandma, and some nice nurse. Nobody ever respects the time it takes to poo, and I am the only one who truly understands that he poops ~then~ pees.

I laid down a challenge, a declaration. I told my son he will never pee on me. The only way my son's gonna pee on me is on my grave.

But like I put a tissue on his dick while changing, I point his penis down and away as to soak either clean or dirty diaper depending. When he does pee on the changing table I don't waste time flailing, going "oh my god he's peeing and it's shooting straight at my mouth". Like it's so ez, just don't get peed on.

If he ever catches me slipping, I will be proud. I gotta look up how to like bathe a child. I think I might have skipped some steps in the "introducing the concept of water" phase of life. Like I get why he hollered, the only time he has felt wet has been when he peed on himself. Now he's feeling that, but he didn't pee, so by logic it must be someone else's pee and that is gross enough to scream.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baby has learned she can make cute cooing noises, that she's done for months now

In the last 72 hours she's found out that shrieking is A LOT more effective at getting parents attention

Also way way way too young to teach her not to shriek. Went from calm zen baby budda house plant, to shrieking siren house plant with opinions in the span of an afternoon

Looks like this.... May? Be a phase? About 2 months? Then it dies down sightly

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Hadlock posted:

Baby has learned she can make cute cooing noises, that she's done for months now

In the last 72 hours she's found out that shrieking is A LOT more effective at getting parents attention

Also way way way too young to teach her not to shriek. Went from calm zen baby budda house plant, to shrieking siren house plant with opinions in the span of an afternoon

My kid went through a screaming/shrieking phase around four months, it only lasted a little over a week, but it sure was embarrassing to take her anywhere!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Koivunen posted:

My kid went through a screaming/shrieking phase around four months, it only lasted a little over a week, but it sure was embarrassing to take her anywhere!

The best part of being a parent is other people's kids' public tantrums. Not because you're judging them, but "holy poo poo, a screaming child and I have zero responsibility to do anything!???"

All that to say, no one need feel embarrassed by their own child kicking on the floor, it's actually a public service to other parents.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

The last week has been pretty transformative, first glimmer of actual personality starting to show, her movement though space has gone from 2D to 3D, lots of rolling over and propping herself up, and seems to have wants/interests beyond just food and sleep, and rather than just reacting to events, has a more active interest in her surroundings, and object permanence seems to be kicking in

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I roll into week 14 tomorrow, and for the past three weeks, I have been dealing with horrific nausea and loss of appetite. Didn't have it earlier in my pregnancy, and I didn't have it at all during my first one. While I was worshiping the porcelain gods last night, my husband casually mentioned that he'd heard from some of his coworkers that nausea symptoms can get worse with every successive pregnancy. Had I been able to stand up, I would have punched him in the throat, but I am wondering if there's any truth to this - has anyone else experienced that? I feel like my first kid lied to me about how bad this bullshit would be.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm at 30 weeks with my first and I have been basically very sick the entire time unfortunately. I don't know about the successive pregnancy thing but i do believe when people say that each pregnancy can be totally different and unpredictable in terms of how it makes you feel.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I’m 39wks along with my second (send help), and I’d say this pregnancy has been rougher- more nausea (but less puking), sorer, less energy. Don’t know if it’s because it’s my second or if, as everyone says, every pregnancy is different. But it’s definitely a different experience. Less of that massive, all-encompassing brain fog, at least.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

the_chavi posted:

I roll into week 14 tomorrow, and for the past three weeks, I have been dealing with horrific nausea and loss of appetite. Didn't have it earlier in my pregnancy, and I didn't have it at all during my first one. While I was worshiping the porcelain gods last night, my husband casually mentioned that he'd heard from some of his coworkers that nausea symptoms can get worse with every successive pregnancy. Had I been able to stand up, I would have punched him in the throat, but I am wondering if there's any truth to this - has anyone else experienced that? I feel like my first kid lied to me about how bad this bullshit would be.

I experienced a lot more nausea with my second, but I really just think it's because every pregnancy is different. Bodies are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Currently in bed in a busy L&D ward and I’ve got to say epidurals are magical.