Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mediaphage posted:

is that a bagel bite pizza

did you make the bagel bites too or
I did not make the bagel bites or the frozen 4 cheese substrate, no lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FFT posted:

Apparently it's "Employee Appreciation Day" today, so we had a pizza party/contest with prizes for "best" and "worst"

so i created a monster:

didn't there used to be a thread for lovely food?

right here pal
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959162

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ah that makes sense, cheers!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Can someone recommend a big (16"+) wooden peel? I want a bigger one but I'm afraid to buy a random cheap one on amazon since most of them tell you nothing about the finish.

That's about the biggest slice I can manage at the moment. Gotta up my game.

Bonus focaccia:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

poverty goat posted:

Can someone recommend a big (16"+) wooden peel? I want a bigger one but I'm afraid to buy a random cheap one on amazon since most of them tell you nothing about the finish.

That's about the biggest slice I can manage at the moment. Gotta up my game.

Bonus focaccia:

I bought an American metal craft 3616 16”x17” wooden pizza peel and have been using it for about a year-zero issues. You can get them on Amazon every now and then but I think I got it from a restaurant supply website.

https://irdequipment.com/american-metalcraft-116/pizza-peel-3616-ame

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

nwin posted:

I bought an American metal craft 3616 16”x17” wooden pizza peel and have been using it for about a year-zero issues. You can get them on Amazon every now and then but I think I got it from a restaurant supply website.

https://irdequipment.com/american-metalcraft-116/pizza-peel-3616-ame

Thanks, I found the 2616 which looks to be the same thing with a shorter handle on amazon prime for <$20

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

is there a way to get Pendleton Flour Mills/Grain Craft Power Flour in Texas that isn’t either out of stock or prohibitively loving expensive?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

I. M. Gei posted:

is there a way to get Pendleton Flour Mills/Grain Craft Power Flour in Texas that isn’t either out of stock or prohibitively loving expensive?

what about it makes you want it? there’s probably a locally stocked alternative

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Yea, what about this brand is so appeals to you? I know I can buy smart and final brand high gluten flower dirt cheap here in California and I assume they sell it nationally.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mediaphage posted:

what about it makes you want it? there’s probably a locally stocked alternative

ColHannibal posted:

Yea, what about this brand is so appeals to you? I know I can buy smart and final brand high gluten flower dirt cheap here in California and I assume they sell it nationally.

Tony Gemignani recommends it in The Pizza Bible as his go-to flour for most standard pizza styles.

Apparently it’s really strong and I’m wondering if that will improve my ability to stretch my dough. I’ve only ever used King Arthur Sir Lancelot for pizza which is less strong.

I could also try :chaostrump:ALL TRUMPS:chaostrump: but the non-bromated stuff is supposed to be less strong than the bromated and Tony says the bromated might cause cancer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The King Arthur stuff would be slightly stronger at 14% protein. The one you linked is 13.5%. Most of the Italian 00 I’ve seen are 12-13% too. Did you just not like the flavor of the KA stuff or are you just wanting to try out something else? Because you can make good pizza and bread with either one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I kinda wanted to try something new

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I kinda wanted to try something new

that's totally cool but if that's the case tbh i'd look for something like maybe a local mill that mills it for freshness. they'll know what percentage of protein their offerings are, you'll support a local establishment and won't waste money getting flour shipped

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I have a bakery nearby that sells the flour they get from nearby. Maybe another place to look for trying something else.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I...I did it.
I'm so happy right now I can't wait for this thing to arrive!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Malefitz posted:

I...I did it.

swanko! little jelly

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, yall, time to get an outdoor pizza oven for the new year. I am eyeballing the Ooni Koda 12 or 16, or the Roccbox. I primarily want the ease of use of propane as fuel and consistent heat. I have read that the Koda are fairly light and don't have the thermal mass of the Roccbox, but if anyone has direct experience with either let me know.

Thank ya!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have a Fyra, and honestly wood pellets might be easier than even propane. I can’t have propane bottles delivered to the house, as an example.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Malefitz posted:

I...I did it.

Looking forward to seeing what you make with it!

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

ShaneB posted:

OK, yall, time to get an outdoor pizza oven for the new year. I am eyeballing the Ooni Koda 12 or 16, or the Roccbox. I primarily want the ease of use of propane as fuel and consistent heat. I have read that the Koda are fairly light and don't have the thermal mass of the Roccbox, but if anyone has direct experience with either let me know.

Thank ya!

I want the size of the 16 but with pellets. But I would prefer gas and larger over smaller and preferred source.

chia
Dec 23, 2005
I love the Koda 12, but I kinda wish I'd gotten the bigger one. If you've got the cash go for the 16 I guess but they're both great pizza ovens. Easy to use, consistent and (at least the smaller one's) fuel efficiency is amazing.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

pan pizza!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I make a lot of pan pizza and that's one of the best I've seen. I've never really tried doing one with lots of sauce and cheese but no toppings.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

thotsky posted:

I make a lot of pan pizza and that's one of the best I've seen. I've never really tried doing one with lots of sauce and cheese but no toppings.

thank you! its the end result of a lot of small tweaks. its a detroit/ny hybrid - i start with a standard detroit dough recipe but add a little sugar and olive oil, and the sauce is a cooked sauce - just some pastene crushed tomatoes with some olive oil, garlic powder, oregano and salt, and then i blitz it really fine - with the best low moisture whole milk mozzarella i can find. i do a one day, non-fermented dough. having a good detroit style pan helps a lot, but ive gotten pretty similar results with a good stainless steel skillet.

i've futzed around with doing ny style at home on a steel and while i can get pretty good results, pan pizzas are just so much easier, and the combination of crunchy bottom/airy dough/sweet sauce/browned cheese is kind of unbeatable.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The full fat motz really let's pan pizzas shine

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Has anyone tried any of Marc Vetri’s Naples dough recipes from Mastering Pizza that use King Arthur bread flour?

I’m gonna make pizza next week and since I don’t have any “pizza” flour like Sir Lancelot or :trumppop:ALL TRUMPS YOOGE & WET :yooge: THE PIZZ TAPE IS REAL:trumppop: I figured I should try a new recipe that uses a flour I actually have available.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I make the Serious Eats foolproof pan pizza a lot and love it.

Is it a good idea or a bad idea to use some left over rendered guanciale fat in place of some of the olive oil in the pan? I had too much when making pasta alla Gricia.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I make the Serious Eats foolproof pan pizza a lot and love it.

Is it a good idea or a bad idea to use some left over rendered guanciale fat in place of some of the olive oil in the pan? I had too much when making pasta alla Gricia.

It should work fine, lots of Italian breads use lard instead of or mixed with olive oil. Only thing that'd worry me is the smoke point being too low but its not high for evoo either. Will probably taste amazing.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It didn't cause any problems, but honestly with the amount of salami I put on top I don't think I'd be able to notice any benefit. I think I'll use such left over fat for other purposes in the future.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Some pies from the last few weeks... Weather is finally getting a little better.

Margherita with bufala mozzarella

Marinara with squash blossom, finished with cold burrata, Maldon sea salt, and cracked pepper.

And finally we did the Pepperoni Pi for Sunday

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Has anyone tried any of Marc Vetri’s Naples dough recipes from Mastering Pizza that use King Arthur bread flour?

Yes, they worked great for me (specifically the home oven version). I think that in general, unless you’re operating at a pretty high level already, KA will work great, and that the difference between it and, say, Caputo, will be marginal.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
By the way, it might be a bit amateur for GWS pizza experts, but in case it's not common knowledge I'm really liking the PizzApp for quick calculations:

This is my default recipe at the moment, which I copied into the app. It has nice things like overleavening warnings, and in addition to just being able to specify your batch size in the number of doughballs you need it adjusts the yeast quantities based on the salt %age, room/fridge temps and leavening times. It makes it easy to get consistency when your room temp varies seasonally.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't entirely follow the steps it's implying. Is it:

1. 25% flour with all water for poolish for 12 hours (at unspecified temperature)
2. Add remaining flour and ingredients, knead, rest at 5C (fridge?) for 48 hours
3. Leave out at "room temperature" (18C) for one hour

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It's my recipe copied in from a mix of Jeff varsano so not the fault of the app, but :

I leave the poolish overnight at room temp for 12h. Its 50/50 water and flour, so 25% of the flour by weight and the same amount of water by weight.
I then add the remaining water and flour to 65% hydration, autolyse for 20mins, add the salt and knead for 20.
I bulk ferment for 1h at room temp, then ball and cold ferment for 48h.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

First attempt using the Marc Vetri 70%-Hydration Naples dough recipe. This also happened to be my first pizza cooked in an actual oven, rather than my kamado.

Not the handsomest pizza ever (the dough stuck to the peel a bit), but it tasted pretty good.

My second attempt (on the grill this time) went much better though.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Old news, but Season 2 Vol 1 - Ep 5 (terrible naming scheme) of The Chef Show on Netflix features Robert Rodriguez and his pizza. Nothing really groundbreaking, but a fun and casual 15m watch if you like people shooting the poo poo while baking up some pies. He also makes one with a cauliflower crust (he was on some sort of no flour diet at the time) and what looks like an interesting dessert pizza with a puffy crust and homemade honey.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you not scrape clean your pizza stone on kamado?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

do you not scrape clean your pizza stone on kamado?

Not that often. Mine was clean before I used it today, but whenever I do need to clean it I usually just leave it in the grill with the heat up and then brush/scrape off whatever is left on it after that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lunch pizza!

But will it hold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Kale and sausage with Calabrian chili aioli

Pepperoni with jalapeños!