Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I enjoy when superhero movies treat their subjects as things outside of the normal. Snyder’s movies certainly capture that vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That image of Superman floating in the sky all straight was a beam raises the hairs on the back of my neck. It's such an arresting image.

Zod does it for a brief moment in MoS.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FilthyImp posted:

Counterpoint: he'd be an amazing live-action Dib.

Noooo.

Also Dib is Mexican.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Looks like the VFX crew has been working down to the last minute. Here’s an updated image of Uxas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That weird period of 2013 - 2017 where clusters of critics just went off the deep end (and I don't necessarily mean about Snyder, they would kook out over all kinds of stuff). Remember when Film Crit Hulk was a thing?

I feel like a big part of that can be credited to Twitter and the increasingly obvious insecurity of 'critics' who are just failchildren whose parents weren't rich enough to get them better sinecures.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McCloud posted:

That arc is basically tradition for Snyder films. Dawn, 300, SP, Watchmen, BvS, even MoS to an extent, all got nerds outraged because they went in with preconceived ideas l

This is largely the state of film discourse and criticism on the Internet nowadays, and it genuinely bothers me. Somewhere along the way it went from "I didn't like this movie, and here are some reasons why" to "This movie sucks balls because it isn't the movie I made up in my head and expected to see." People don't engage with the work anymore, they measure the work against their own theorycrafting, and if the movie deviates from the fanfiction they conjured up, then it's the worst thing since the Holocaust and the director fired the reviewer's dog out of a cannon and maimed their grandma with a meat tenderizer.

The intensity of this seems to get amplified by ten when it comes to genre material (which is why we're still re-litigating The Motherfucking Last Jedi four years later), and it gives me a headache.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's because of how hype and marketing works now people are given so much material and info about a flick ahead of time I think it's normal if one can't help but project their own version of the movie a couple of months before the movie's even out.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Looks like the VFX crew has been working down to the last minute. Here’s an updated image of Uxas.

Some of this is obviously compression in the original teaser, but pretty big difference. Open the image in a new tab to see the giant version.

Violator fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 6, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

Here's a close-up face comparison.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/snydercut/status/1368245388759638017?s=19

I love this post apocalyptic Batman suit so much

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1368248559590510592?s=20

Aquabro teaser up

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timby posted:

This is largely the state of film discourse and criticism on the Internet nowadays, and it genuinely bothers me. Somewhere along the way it went from "I didn't like this movie, and here are some reasons why" to "This movie sucks balls because it isn't the movie I made up in my head and expected to see." People don't engage with the work anymore, they measure the work against their own theorycrafting, and if the movie deviates from the fanfiction they conjured up, then it's the worst thing since the Holocaust and the director fired the reviewer's dog out of a cannon and maimed their grandma with a meat tenderizer.

The intensity of this seems to get amplified by ten when it comes to genre material (which is why we're still re-litigating The Motherfucking Last Jedi four years later), and it gives me a headache.

Yeah like you say, certain genres and certain brands in particular are more sensitive to this than others. Like comic books are famously narrow-minded and resistant to change, which is why we still have Barry loving Allen as the Flash and characters never ever stay dead. Star Wars is almost as bad too. Basically any brand that has a large male nerd following

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
You know what I really appreciate about Lex's plan? It's not an underpants gnomes real estate scheme.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

You know what I really appreciate about Lex's plan? It's not an underpants gnomes real estate scheme.

That would have been redundant. Zod was the one obsessed with real estate.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Deep cut to use Dick Turpin Darkseid

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

That would have been redundant. Zod was the one obsessed with real estate.

"I will Free Real Estate him!"?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I watched Jupiter Ascending because it was mentioned so often in this thread.

I uh...that was certainly a lot of nonsense. But I suppose you have to appreciate going all in on a YA version of Dune (crossed with Harry Potter, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, twilight, Star Wars etc).

I’m still wondering on what service I’m going to be seeing Justice League in the UK. NowTV maybe?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Flash

https://twitter.com/snydercut/status/1368611914000068617?s=12

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Feet

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Move so fast his shoes disintegrate. :flashfact:

I was gonna say that people looking at these are gonna go "lol these are all in Josstice League" but that completed Iris save is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Was Iris even in Josstice League?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roth posted:

Was Iris even in Josstice League?

No. Joss minimized the roles of POC in any way he could.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know that's what they actually meant when they said "lighter in tone"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

You know that's what they actually meant when they said "lighter in tone"

:eyepop:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ray Fisher said they literally had a discussion about how bad it would be for the box office to have an "angry black man" at the center of the film :gibs:

The Iris scene was previously half-finished CGI meshed in with the filmed assets. Stuff like low poly "glass" deforming and shattering under Barry's speed-touch, no shoesplosion, etc

God drat I love that Flash scene.. stuff like him gently using the barest tips of his fingers to adjust her position and then kind of using her momentum-arc to cradle her and place her down. Just amazing use of speed-conscious physicality.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

"Make your own future / Make your own past"

Reminder that this guy's dad is Doctor Manhattan. With The Comedian and Miles Dyson, Snyder's dad-casting is pretty good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Robot Style posted:

Reminder that this guy's dad is Doctor Manhattan. With The Comedian and Miles Dyson, Snyder's dad-casting is pretty good.

Last night I rewatched Man of Steel and BvS with a friend who had never seen it before and we were talking about how stacked the MoS cast is. Getting Harry Lennix, Christopher Meloni, Richard Schiff and Michael Kelly in smaller supporting roles really helps open the world up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robot Style posted:

Reminder that this guy's dad is Doctor Manhattan.

Also the father of the xenomorphs

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rewatched BvS extended with my bro last night who had never seen it (he had questions and was like, how do you know all this? you dont read comics! - and i was like, i discuss it and read it ever day lol). He generally enjoyed it but did comment that while it was really loving long it didn't feel like it, moved by really fast. I explained him to the sorta battle online over the Snydercut then showed him some stuff from Josstice League and he was like, HOLY poo poo this looks terrible. He could see the Cavill CG face immediately and hated the rooftop intro scene.

Also something popped out on me - the man in the wheelchair who defaces the statue and blows up congress is none other than Scoot McNairy who was loving INCREDIBLE in Narcos Mexico S2.

E: OH poo poo, he was in Frank too! Love that movie.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 7, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Also something popped out on me - the man in the wheelchair who defaces the statue and blows up congress is none other than Scott McNairy who was loving INCREDIBLE in Narcos Mexico S2.

You need to watch Halt and Catch Fire.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Chairman Capone posted:

You need to watch Halt and Catch Fire.

I dropped off after season 1 out of laziness, I'll pick it back up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I dropped off after season 1 out of laziness, I'll pick it back up.

It's one of the few shows that gets exponentially better with each season.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Rewatched BvS extended with my bro last night who had never seen it (he had questions and was like, how do you know all this? you dont read comics! - and i was like, i discuss it and read it ever day lol). He generally enjoyed it but did comment that while it was really loving long it didn't feel like it, moved by really fast. I explained him to the sorta battle online over the Snydercut then showed him some stuff from Josstice League and he was like, HOLY poo poo this looks terrible. He could see the Cavill CG face immediately and hated the rooftop intro scene.

Also something popped out on me - the man in the wheelchair who defaces the statue and blows up congress is none other than Scoot McNairy who was loving INCREDIBLE in Narcos Mexico S2.

E: OH poo poo, he was in Frank too! Love that movie.

He's also a lot of fun in Free Fire. Guy's got a great voice.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Alright I wasn't hyped until today, but the Flash trailer did it. I'm onboard.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

God drat I love that Flash scene.. stuff like him gently using the barest tips of his fingers to adjust her position and then kind of using her momentum-arc to cradle her and place her down. Just amazing use of speed-conscious physicality.

It's so loving cool. Snyder would make a slapping flash movie given his love of speed ramp

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pospysyl posted:

He was good in Monsters.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

It's so loving cool. Snyder would make a slapping flash movie given his love of speed ramp

His speed force aesthetics rule so hard and Whedon's scenes were supremely lame (without even getting into booby pratfalls :rolleye: ).

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

pospysyl posted:

He's also a great pair with Ben Mendelssohn in killing them softly

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was reading through the JL storyboards again and I thought it was cool that stars in the constellations are disappearing because of Darkseid’s attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

He's also a great pair with Ben Mendelssohn in killing them softly

Perhaps the greasiest duo in film.