Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What DOESN'T it do! Oh my! :allears:

terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

every time anyone talks of learning C i'm required to mention this book:

https://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/

if you are a detail oriented person you may want to try it

i never got much out of k&r. that bit then? immediately clicked

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

thinking about rebuilding my personal VPS, it's currently running ubuntu, works perfectly and have had zero issues but i'm maybe thinking about switching distros to fedora or something downstream from fedora. i guess i've just been using a lot of centos/rhel/amazon linux at work and it's kinda grown on me.

is there anything fun or cool in fedora or other downstream distros? this is purely for my personal VPS that does some light web-hosting and general fuckin around (i do want to start using docker on it in the near future).

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Pile Of Garbage posted:

is there anything fun or cool in fedora or other downstream distros? this is purely for my personal VPS that does some light web-hosting and general fuckin around (i do want to start using docker on it in the near future).

Kill two birds with one stone and install centos (or perhaps rhel these days) and learn podman

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

Kill two birds with one stone and install centos (or perhaps rhel these days) and learn podman

i thought centos was effectively dead? also doesn't rhel require some kinda license or something?

edit: this is a linode VPS so i guess a comedy option would be installing amazon linux 2

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Martytoof posted:

What DOESN'T it do! Oh my! :allears:

terrible snipe

it can do everything!

seriously

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Writing my "stdio.h considered harmful" blog post now.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

animist posted:

that instructs the C compiler to include St. Dio, patron of segmentation faults, in its prayers

you can't write a 'hello the world' without st dio !!!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
saint god???

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i thought centos was effectively dead? also doesn't rhel require some kinda license or something?

You can get one free https://developers.redhat.com/articles/faqs-no-cost-red-hat-enterprise-linux

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DoomTrainPhD posted:

saint god???

oh ur god isn’t even a saint? needs to hit the spirit gym do some faith reps get good do you you even theology bro

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

oh ur god isnt even a saint? needs to hit the spirit gym do some faith reps get good do you you even theology bro

Saint crossfit

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

After the centos backlash you get 16 production rhel licences for free, will they honour that for the next 10 years? who knows!

There are also a couple community replacements for centos in development , rocky linux and almalinux

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

does the free rhel come with kpatch (is that even a licensed feature)?

e: vvv cool cheers vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 5, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

does the free rhel come with kpatch (is that even a licensed feature)?

Yes. There is no difference between free RHEL and paid RHEL other than support.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

matti posted:

every time anyone talks of learning C i'm required to mention this book:

https://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/

if you are a detail oriented person you may want to try it

i never got much out of k&r. that bit then? immediately clicked

I'd recommend this one instead. It's a 2 for 1 since you get a detailed book on C written by nerds and also a book to put you to sleep when you need that.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Literally mentioned that in the post you quoted

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I will never read anyone else's post.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

k&r c is a classic but i'd rather have a dogeared, highlighted copy of the original that you got for about fifty cents

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my copy of k&r was apparently jacked from some HP research library

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'd recommend this one instead. It's a 2 for 1 since you get a detailed book on C written by nerds and also a book to put you to sleep when you need that.

rcp bithc

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

pram posted:

my copy of k&r was apparently jacked from some HP research library

what the fsf and gnu project would want :hai:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fritz posted:

this crowd is not going to get jojo references. hell, the only reason I got it was because I watched it with my teenager

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

fritz posted:

If a cron job starts a daemon during the time that king crimson erases, will the daemon still be running?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

btrfs-progs version 5.11 have been released.

Changelog:

* mkfs: warn when raid56 is used
* balance convert: warn when raid56 is used

:hmmyes:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
more like raid 86 because it 86s your data!!!!!!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use raid69

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

guess it's good they finally did add the warning so they might reduce the amount of people asking when raid56 is production ready

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

loving idiots expecting their filesystem to not offer options that'll lose their data.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hed posted:

more like raid 86 because it 86s your data!!!!!!

btrfs: murder your data, not your wife!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

btrfs: murder your data, not your wife!

filesystem development is often much harder on the woman than the man

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's honestly sad at this point. I'd love to have "ZFS, but in-tree", but btrfs is just treading water. It has all these bizarre caveats and options and footguns. ZFS isn't exactly trivial, but at least its footguns are well understood and far less severe.

And also, and I know this is somewhat petty, ZFS has friendlier messages when something goes wrong.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

And also, and I know this is somewhat petty, ZFS has friendlier messages when something goes wrong.

not petty imo, useful error messages are extremely important (and their existence can even be an indicator of code quality in some cases)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I don't mean more useful, though that is also the case. I mean that they are written in large, friendly letters.

A zfs status with a pool that has a missing drive produces this:

quote:

state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Replace the faulted device, or use 'zpool clear' to mark the device repaired.
[*snip pool geometry*]

It doesn't really tell me more than the more austere btrfs messages, but it feels reassuring. "Don't worry", ZFS says, "I got this".

(ZFS is also better in every area I care about but that's beside the point :v:)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
just put your petabytes of files in s3, what's the big deal

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Just migrated a bunch of working data from ext4 to xfs, feels good.

although btrfs was an option, I still went with xfs because btrfs is still not production ready.

(it'll be production ready in my eyes if rhel offers it as a filesystem option without beta caveats or other caveats)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

welp
it seems the latest fedora update hosed my poo poo
dnf saying something about a database being malformed and now everything is frozen, going to try booting in recovery mode

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

hav you tried turning it off and on again

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Martytoof posted:

hav you tried turning it off and on again

yea
luckily fedora it seems keeps backups of previous versions unless im reading poo poo wrong so im gonna boot one of those
the start job for firewalld is taking a while though

no wait now that's frozen too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the cursor is blinking but the timer is stuck on (32s / 1min 31s)