Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Also, it's a treat anytime Robert Englund makes an appearance in a show, even for a brief time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

S1/S2 talk:

The first three were sabotaged, Warren Keffer was included because the studio forced them to include a hotshot pilot character (who was, of course, unceremoniously killed off)

Sinclair actor talk:

It has come out since his death that Michael O'Hare had paranoid schizophrenia, which understandably made it rather taxing to play a character who has had his memory erased and is being potentially manipulated by aliens.

On a lighter note, here's a cool interview with him, which I'm pretty sure doesn't have anything in it you won't have encountered but leave it for later if you want to play it safe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pR5IuVptRw

S1

Well, that explains it. It was weird, I kept waiting for him to show up and do anything at all, but nothing doing. I thought maybe he was a friend of the producers or something and wanted a vanity credit or something.

Sinclair

That's really sad. I haven't watched that interview, but I hope he had pleasant memories of being on the show, it seems like something an actor would be proud of.

Swedish meatballs- I had the very same thought!

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
S3E20

Well, gently caress. This is the dirtiest Londo's ever been. He ropes Vir(dirty, dirty move. Vir is a good dude) into the G'kar murderplot, but is actually just using him because he knows Refa will use a telepath to suss out his plan. Then, he pulls the double cross, lies to G'kar, and plants evidence of treachery on Refa. Because he himself bought Morden's lie hook, line, and sinker. drat. Really, though, Londo has been getting steadily more and more bloodthirsty, and I don't like it. It started with him being increasingly aggressive with Narn and other races, and now this. Bro, you got yourself too tangled.

It was nice seeing some positive representations of people of faith, too. Especially considering that American Christians are total piles of poo poo, it's nice to be reminded of what they SHOULD be.

Refa's death scene felt very Sopranos; I liked it.

Sheridan had a rough time, poor bastard. But seeing the new fleet was pretty cool. I like the relationship that has been building between Delenn and Sheridan, it feels honest.

And holy smooch!

I might finish the season in a day or two, but I'll wait to post anything about it until The_Doctor catches up. It's nice to have a watching buddy, since I have been doing this alone.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Refa's death is one of the best scenes in the entire series. The way it's juxtaposed with "No Hiding Place Down Here" is absolute perfection.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello everybody in watching this for the first time. I'm up to s1e6 and loving it so far. Ill try to update this thread with my thoughts. I know literally 0 about this show so far so I'm in for a ride!

Thoughts on the latest episode mind war

that was really cool, I love how even though some of the ideas in the show are farfetched (telekinesis) they still play it off pretty legit. Also the two Watchmen references in this episode was great. If that's what they were lol.

I listened to the first two episodes of that goons podcast, it seems good but I think there was a spoiler or two right away in the first two episodes that you eventually go to babylon 4 and that someone in the crew is going to turn on everybody kinda pissed if those are true but oh well.

Thanks for reading.

Oh yeah, how crazy is it that I want to buy the DVDs and watch this on my ps2 connected to a crt. Bad idea or great idea?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh yeah, how crazy is it that I want to buy the DVDs and watch this on my ps2 connected to a crt. Bad idea or great idea?

Pretty bad because the DVDs look like dogshit, much worse than the original TV airing, due to certain technical choices they made while mastering the DVDs.

If you have the choice, watch the version that's on Prime Video / HBO Max / Hulu. It's a much more authentic experience but also HD.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sucks. Yeah I'm watching on hbo max.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hello everybody in watching this for the first time. I'm up to s1e6 and loving it so far. Ill try to update this thread with my thoughts. I know literally 0 about this show so far so I'm in for a ride!

Thoughts on the latest episode mind war

[Snip]
Thanks for reading.

Mind War hooked me on the series since it broadcast years ago.

As for your idea, I've heard good things about the DVD releases, and while the entire collection would cost an amount I'd notice, ~$70-90 is a ways from the hundreds I thought it would be to some scalper.

Edit: refuted even before I penned a response! Trust the other goon.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The DVDs were great back when they were the only option unless you knew someone who recorded the series, but now, there are definitely better options.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I am watching this show for the 2nd time decades later with my SO who has never seen it before and we have both decided that the EA Omega is the best spaceship in sci fi thanks and gobbless

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Psycho Landlord posted:

I am watching this show for the 2nd time decades later with my SO who has never seen it before and we have both decided that the EA Omega is the best spaceship in sci fi thanks and gobbless

Well, equal first with the Leonov from 2010 which it is a very close 'omage to

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I listened to the first two episodes of that goons podcast, it seems good but I think there was a spoiler or two right away in the first two episodes that you eventually go to babylon 4 and that someone in the crew is going to turn on everybody kinda pissed if those are true but oh well.

Thanks for reading.

Yeah, avoid guides and podcasts until you are done. It's hard to talk about the show without spoilers if you have already seen it. As far as your idea goes, it's a neat one, but really you won't get anything special over watching good version on streaming. Maybe the 2nd time through if you really want to get that 90s experience.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I am watching this show for the 2nd time decades later with my SO who has never seen it before and we have both decided that....

You should join us in the other thread and let the first timers watch without any expectations.

:siren::siren::derp: NEW WATCHERS DO NOT GO HERE UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY DONE WITH A FIRST WATCH :derp::siren::siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785889

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 8, 2021

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I guess there's just something about B5 vets, they just can't help themselves. I have two seasons to go, and then it'll get me, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Narzack posted:

I guess there's just something about B5 vets, they just can't help themselves. I have two seasons to go, and then it'll get me, too.

It's more that the story is a coherent whole. With an episodic show you know they haven't seen what you want to talk about if they haven't seen the one episode in which it appears. But with B5, it's natural for discussion of any given plot thread to follow that thread as it evolves beyond the episode where it began. And that's spoilery, which is why the previous watchers should bite their tongues.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Narzack posted:

S3E20

Well, gently caress. This is the dirtiest Londo's ever been. He ropes Vir(dirty, dirty move. Vir is a good dude) into the G'kar murderplot, but is actually just using him because he knows Refa will use a telepath to suss out his plan. Then, he pulls the double cross, lies to G'kar, and plants evidence of treachery on Refa. Because he himself bought Morden's lie hook, line, and sinker. drat. Really, though, Londo has been getting steadily more and more bloodthirsty, and I don't like it. It started with him being increasingly aggressive with Narn and other races, and now this. Bro, you got yourself too tangled.

It was nice seeing some positive representations of people of faith, too. Especially considering that American Christians are total piles of poo poo, it's nice to be reminded of what they SHOULD be.

Refa's death scene felt very Sopranos; I liked it.

Sheridan had a rough time, poor bastard. But seeing the new fleet was pretty cool. I like the relationship that has been building between Delenn and Sheridan, it feels honest.

And holy smooch!

I might finish the season in a day or two, but I'll wait to post anything about it until The_Doctor catches up. It's nice to have a watching buddy, since I have been doing this alone.

He's not really lying to G'Kar. Refa was the one who chose to bombard the Narn homeworld, and did commit most of the atrocities during the Narn occupation. Londo is a real bastard, but he's never tried to sell himself to G'Kar as anything else. G'Kar knows exactly what kind of monster Londo is, but Refa was one too, and Londo also freed thousands of Narn from camps as part of the deal. Everyone got what they wanted. Except poor Vir.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, my girlfriend's brother is getting introduced to Babylon 5 and has made it through Episode 3 (note we skipped The Gathering for now as we're doing the optimal watch order). Watching with him he's had only a few notes. Keep in mind he's a huge fan of scifi and has made sure we watched Cowboy Bebop with him:

Notes on set design/special effects:

Centauri hair really baffled him, especially Adira's hair, plus he was constantly poo poo-talking the horrific corset they put her in.

The PPG effects annoyed him immensely; one shot fired before the guy leveled his gun, apparently.

CGI annoyed him too despite this being the HBO Max version. But he started belly laughing when he saw that people stand upright in Starfuries "T-Posing." He thought Starfuries were just the dumbest looking design because of the standing position and any time one went on screen he laughed. I am trying to grit my teeth and bare it because I <3 Starfuries and their design.

On the performances/plot:

Not a whole lot of feedback, though he approved of Ivanova not giving a poo poo what people thought of her and telling Garibaldi to gently caress off multiple times.

The first mention of the election (see Ivanova talking about chins) and the candidate pushing anti-alien influences got a reaction out of him that I think bodes well for his watching the show.

He likes it, but I think the very 90s cheese is rubbing him the wrong way and he's viscerally responding to the CGI so far.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

When does The Gathering fall in your watch order? I've never seen that one moved.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Where all gatherings should be right now: outside.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

When does The Gathering fall in your watch order? I've never seen that one moved.

Probably after season 2 for...reasons that I won't share in this thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blindeye posted:

Probably after season 2 for...reasons that I won't share in this thread.

If you can't discuss it in this thread, put it in the not-blind thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The Gathering is the pilot movie, it IN THEORY should be watched first, but I know plenty of B5 watchers say don't bother, it's not THAT critical.

If you're thinking of In the Beginning, that is another movie that should be watched later. I guess even saying WHEN to ideal watch it counts as a spoiler? I don't agree with that, cause how else would a newbie know when to watch it and not spoil themselves on stuff that, ideally, they find out in the course of the series not that movie?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Gathering is the pilot movie, it IN THEORY should be watched first, but I know plenty of B5 watchers say don't bother, it's not THAT critical.

If you're thinking of In the Beginning, that is another movie that should be watched later. I guess even saying WHEN to ideal watch it counts as a spoiler? I don't agree with that, cause how else would a newbie know when to watch it and not spoil themselves on stuff that, ideally, they find out in the course of the series not that movie?

Simply saying when in terms of episode/season numbering is fine and doesn’t spoil poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

In the Beginning was a catch-up movie and is best watched in the position where it was made, so after S4.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Simply saying when in terms of episode/season numbering is fine and doesn’t spoil poo poo.

I don't know, I feel like I've seen people in this thread say things exactly like that, that simply saying "watch this thing after Season 3, episode 4" is a spoiler or what have you, even if they don't put plot points anywhere.

(That was just a fake example, as far as I'm aware, no "extra B5 material" is ideally seen directly after season 3, ep 4.)

But i agree with Jedit, In the Beginning is best after Season 4 ends if that's what Blindeye was referring to.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you can't discuss it in this thread, put it in the not-blind thread.

Done!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know, I feel like I've seen people in this thread say things exactly like that, that simply saying "watch this thing after Season 3, episode 4" is a spoiler or what have you, even if they don't put plot points anywhere.

(That was just a fake example, as far as I'm aware, no "extra B5 material" is ideally seen directly after season 3, ep 4.)

But i agree with Jedit, In the Beginning is best after Season 4 ends if that's what Blindeye was referring to.

Yeah after s4 is right.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not essential to watch The Gathering - it was originally aired nearly a year before Midnight on the Firing Line, and the regular series was written with the assumption that not everyone getting into the show would necessarily have seen The Gathering. I wouldn't start a newcomer with it, on the basis that the changes between it and the regular show might be rather jarring (and, as much as people bag on B5 for looking cheap, The Gathering looks really cheap).

It's also worth remembering in general that "pilot" does not always mean "first episode."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, I think there is something to be said for not starting with The Gathering. If the first few episodes pique a new viewer's interest, then they can go back and watch it. I'd put it in the first half of season 1, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The dr and ivanova analogues in TG were really bad and the plot was a little nonsensical, so yeah I'd skip it. I quite liked the much more sinister delenn though.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Blindeye posted:

He thought Starfuries were just the dumbest looking design because of the standing position and any time one went on screen he laughed. I am trying to grit my teeth and bare it because I <3 Starfuries and their design.

well you can tell him the starfury is the only sci-fi fighter to have the official NASA seal of approval, and standing position would better allow the pilot to withstand G forces and gives them a way better field of view so there. :colbert:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah think of it less as "standing" and more like lying on your back, since Earth doesn't have artificial gravity technology in this show

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
:siren:Spoilers below! :siren:

speaking of not having artificial gravity and how glorious that can be... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYBjIbs4bPc

the older the earth alliance ships get, the cooler they are. the mudshark-looking destroyers where the crew had to strap in are the best. real space cowboy vibes from that one.

Mod Edit- This has been spoilered to protect the sanctity of the blind watch thread!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 17, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

boo boo bear posted:

speaking of not having artificial gravity and how glorious that can be... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYBjIbs4bPc

the older the earth alliance ships get, the cooler they are. the mudshark-looking destroyers where the crew had to strap in are the best. real space cowboy vibes from that one.

I get that this is a fan render looking at a moment that happened offscreen in the show (inasmuch as anything actually happens in that video), but this is the blind watch thread and the video's description talks about plot details. It just makes me uncomfortable, because I'm overprotective of this thread.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 18, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vavrek posted:

I get that this is a fan render looking at a moment that happened offscreen in the show (inasmuch as anything actually happens in that video), but this is the blind watch thread and the video's description talks about plot details. It just makes me uncomfortable, because I'm overprotective of this thread.

Seems perfectly protection level.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Good thing I figured I should pop in here and check because it wouldn't very well do to have it spoilered in one post but then not in the post immediately below it! Keep up the good work everybody and let me know if any more spoilers or spoiler adjacent materials get posted in here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Do we have any active blind watchers still?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am, I just watched s1 episode 12. I watch a episode a week basically though since my gf hates the show.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

Do we have any active blind watchers still?

Theoretically, but not for a while.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I am, I just watched s1 episode 12. I watch a episode a week basically though since my gf hates the show.

where's all the posts then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sorry about the impeding breakup.