Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this makes the whole mirio was the next successor and deku feels bad about it dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
This is kind of necessary to reveal right the gently caress now though since if the truth about One For All comes out, this information neuters a ton of "All Might should have bestowed his quirk to X!" hot takes in-universe: there probably really was nobody but Deku who realistically could have been the appropriate successor.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nighteye is wrong, an ongoing series.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

This is kind of necessary to reveal right the gently caress now though since if the truth about One For All comes out, this information neuters a ton of "All Might should have bestowed his quirk to X!" hot takes in-universe: there probably really was nobody but Deku who realistically could have been the appropriate successor.

This is a major point, yeah. Even if nobody believes him (or All Might) when he says only a quirkless person can survive having One for All, it gives us a narrative justification for why Deku wouldn't just hand the quirk over to any established hero that volunteered to take it. Deku knows it would be a death sentence for them and he's not willing to do that to someone.

Prior to this, I would have assumed what was going to happen next was the Hero Commission finding out All Might gave a 14 year old unimaginable power and the ability to break his own limbs on a whim and go "Cool, cool, cool, we hate it. We're gonna need you to hand that quirk over to an adult of our choosing right the gently caress now," and Deku having to fight back against that. Now that's off the table and the government has no choice but to rely on a high schooler to save the day.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Man, when MHA ends this is one hell of a resume for Horikoshi to make a Star Wars manga

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CuwiKhons posted:

This is a major point, yeah. Even if nobody believes him (or All Might) when he says only a quirkless person can survive having One for All, it gives us a narrative justification for why Deku wouldn't just hand the quirk over to any established hero that volunteered to take it. Deku knows it would be a death sentence for them and he's not willing to do that to someone.

Prior to this, I would have assumed what was going to happen next was the Hero Commission finding out All Might gave a 14 year old unimaginable power and the ability to break his own limbs on a whim and go "Cool, cool, cool, we hate it. We're gonna need you to hand that quirk over to an adult of our choosing right the gently caress now," and Deku having to fight back against that. Now that's off the table and the government has no choice but to rely on a high schooler to save the day.

I mean, there's no guarantee that anyone is going to actually believe deku when he tries to relay this information, and even then the hero commission can probably dig up at least one hero willing to suicide themselves in return for having One for All.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Wasn't it mentioned recently that a large number of Hero Commission board members were missing/injured/dead? The Commission might be... out of commission for the near future.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, there's no guarantee that anyone is going to actually believe deku when he tries to relay this information, and even then the hero commission can probably dig up at least one hero willing to suicide themselves in return for having One for All.

Yeah, that's what I said? I was saying even if nobody believes Deku about it, he'd be unwilling to sentence someone to death and nobody can take it from him by force. This whole sequence is justifying why Deku is right to keep it and gets to keep being the protagonist even as the stakes exceed what a high schooler could be expected to handle.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

At this point I'm curious if the government might just take Deku into custody (or black bag him, seems like they do a bit of that). He could be an asset, a bargaining chip, he's definitely a target, and if they figure out the quirk can be transferred then I doubt any cost will deter them even if Deku doesn't want to give it up - it's the national-scale version of the thing All Might was afraid of. Deku's coma may or may not last, but his body still needs to heal even after that, so he's not really in a position to push back if he becomes a political football.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean why would anyone not believe Deku? Everything about One for All is a new information for everyone outside of All Might and a few of his most loyal allies, so unless Deku specifically mentions that he discovered the whole quirkless thing just a few moments ago in a dream, its not really that much different from all the other special things One for All has going for it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dolash posted:

At this point I'm curious if the government might just take Deku into custody (or black bag him, seems like they do a bit of that). He could be an asset, a bargaining chip, he's definitely a target, and if they figure out the quirk can be transferred then I doubt any cost will deter them even if Deku doesn't want to give it up - it's the national-scale version of the thing All Might was afraid of. Deku's coma may or may not last, but his body still needs to heal even after that, so he's not really in a position to push back if he becomes a political football.
I mean if we're at the point where the government is offering to give Deku's comatose body to AFO in order to bribe him to leave Japan, we have both changed genres, and Five Weenies and Dyna-Might would be pretty justified in going full renegade. That would be a really major swerve at this point, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if someone will kidnap Deku's mom at some point given that Dabi already set precedent for attacking families.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wonder if someone will kidnap Deku's mom at some point given that Dabi already set precedent for attacking families.

gonna be cool watching Inko use her quirk to make dabi stroke out by gently tugging on one of the blood vessels in his brain, for daring to hurt her boy

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This would be a really good time for vigilantes to step up their game. Like that one guy, what was his name? The Cruller?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's the Hauler you idiot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I know it's because they have like 150-200 years of precedent in the quirk age but if anyone is incredulous about Deku's explanation- if he offers one, it's kinda funny.

Like you live in a world where anyone can be anything. If people can shoot lasers from their belly buttons, or have a *sentient talking shadow*, or control the color black, or violate the laws of thermodynamics to create matter from their skin, or whatever- it's not insane that a quirk that can be manually passed around could exist even if there's no recorded instances of it. You got proof that the guy who can literally steal people's quirks, combine them for his own use, and bestow them on people exists now.

I dunno how the jig isn't up here for OFA though; the "only Deku can probably use it now" reveal absolutely has to be so the entire thing can get explained to Hawks/Endeavor/whomever else and the discussion immediately doesn't go to "Okay you're giving that poo poo to someone else right now". To be honest given the stakes (at least Japan is at risk here- it's anarchy, heroes are quitting in droves, the PLA is out there and they're still getting sympathizers, Shigaraki/AFO are out there, the #1 is disgraced at least somewhat regardless of what horseshit Hawks has him say, etc) I kinda feel like there'd be serious talk of passing it onto someone even knowing it'll kill them early.

Edit: I'm kinda curious as to what Hawks has planned for Endeavor's speech. I'm guessing something that defies the usual Japanese face-saving poo poo that would normally demand Endeavor retire. The old samurai hero retiring as a way of "falling on his sword" in his words was super Japanese given that *less heroes* is not the thing that's needed right now even if manners dictate that response; a more proper response would be "Yeah we had every advantage here and totally hosed everything up. Things are too hosed up right now for me to quit in response though, so I'm going to work harder than ever and you can hold me accountable in whatever other way you want."

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 8, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean why would anyone not believe Deku? Everything about One for All is a new information for everyone outside of All Might and a few of his most loyal allies, so unless Deku specifically mentions that he discovered the whole quirkless thing just a few moments ago in a dream, its not really that much different from all the other special things One for All has going for it.

Also, considering that it was All Might's vestige that came to that conclusion to begin with, All Might should be able to back Deku up on that claim. And what are you going to do, not listen to All Might?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nessus posted:

I mean if we're at the point where the government is offering to give Deku's comatose body to AFO in order to bribe him to leave Japan, we have both changed genres, and Five Weenies and Dyna-Might would be pretty justified in going full renegade. That would be a really major swerve at this point, though.

They probably wouldn't go that dark with it, but he still might get taken into some kind of protective custody or otherwise be seen as too valuable to go running off on his own.

Also any scenario where Deku has to be busted out of lockup by his friends gives us an excuse for why anyone from the school would still be that closely involved with what's going on. Deku might be too essential, but if actual pro heroes are retiring from the pressure then it's hard to imagine the students would be conscripted into the effort or maybe even allowed to carry on.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wouldn't now be the best time for the Vigilantes crew to pop up in the main series?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Azubah posted:

Wouldn't now be the best time for the Vigilantes crew to pop up in the main series?

I feel like we won't see any of the main Vigilantes crew in the the main series until it's over. Vigilantes takes place in the past, so any of those characters showing up now would kind of spoil how their stores end in their series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well it depends on which ends first considering that both series’ appear to be entering their final arcs (I still say it feels too soon in regards to MHA but we’ll see).

It would be nice if a few familiar faces popped up though (if only because that means they’d be guaranteed to show up in the anime later on)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You can hear the new OP in the latest PVs and it's kind of a bummer that MHA gets mostly these kinda meh butt rock OPs where every other jump series gets bangers. Peace Sign was probably the best I think, with the track by Amazarashi and the one by Uverworld probably being the next in order.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah the OPs are almost shockingly bland for something this popular

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nonexistence posted:

I'm not impressed with the latest one but one anime adaptation that has consistently gotten really good OPs/EDs? Black Clover.

Pierrot sucks but they have good staff when it comes to picking music, or maybe they have bigger contracts with labels. They pulled some K-Pop group for Black Clover's latest ED, which seems like a braindead easy move you could make for something like MHA.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Spoilers out there again. It's more of what you'd expect from how last chapter left off. Some nice panels! At the end, the 1st asks the two who've been keeping their backs turned the entire time to cooperate with Deku, so maybe we'll actually see their faces next time?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Hisashi comes back just in time to get snatched up by the villains and not know what the gently caress is going on.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

Hisashi comes back just in time to get snatched up by the villains and not know what the gently caress is going on.

"We have your father, do what we say!"

*Deku looks over at All Might in confusion*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I liked the OP that went with the Hideout Raid arc.

Ok, I specifically liked one part of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Supersonic Shine posted:

Rhonne posted:

"We have your father, do what we say!"

*Deku looks over at All Might in confusion*

:golfclap:

Nonexistence posted:

"The Day Has Come" was the peak. "Make My Story" was also pretty good.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The most baffling thing about the opening songs is that the rest of the show's music is incredible. Yuki Hayashi is simply amazing, and the studio clearly knows how to work the music and overall sound design into a serious strength for the presentation.

The best of the bad bunch is The Day, even if I like some of the others as songs on their own.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Chapter 305

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not the first time they've been visible at all (you can sort of spot them in the last chapter) but that's still some pretty suspiciously Ida-exhaust shapes on that predecessor...

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Deku is a good kid y'all.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Deku is good.

Also I appreciate them acknowledging the dog since he was there to comfort a crying child and died for it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if we'll actually see the two facing the wall next chapter, or if it'll cut away to something else and only flashback to them once their quirks manifest.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

That was really good, can't wait for the triumphant music that'll inevitably make me cry when it gets animated.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

CRAWLER VS THE PRO HEROES!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
He's a naturally creepy crawly guy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
This can really only be leading to Knuckleduster's return. I'm worried, but excited. I'm enjoying the main MHA story well enough, but I look forward to Vigilantes way more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
This was great. If vigilantes is ever animated I want him to move and sound like an air hockey puck.