Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

MechaX posted:

Wait if both Ymir and Eren were out of paths, and Zeke was dead, who built the Colossal Eren?

Who built the original Ymir Titan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Paths realm is outside of time. I assume all titans have already been built.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s kind of crazy to me that this story about people constantly struggling against the unfairness and unjustness of their situations could end on a positive note because the main character learned that accepting his cruel fate and not deviating from it was the right thing to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

It’s kind of crazy to me that this story about people constantly struggling against the unfairness and unjustness of their situations could end on a positive note because the main character learned that accepting his cruel fate and not deviating from it was the right thing to do.

I mean that doesn't seem accurate. Eren's goal from the start has been to save Mikasa and Armin, which implies the expected outcome was both of them dying. Eren even in full-on murderbabymode seems entirely likely to be someone who would accept a personal sacrifice to save others so it is very likely that the Rumbling as it is happening *is* a deviation from the expected end.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Eren running into the woods and hiding for four years seems very out of character for him. I’d think it was all Mikasa’s fantasy but Eren “remembers” it. It’s very strange, like maybe he used *paths* to enter into the tail end of the fantasy to tell Mikasa to forget about him I dunno

hatty fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 7, 2021

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It was one last nice shared fantasy between him and Mikasa before his death, sometimes people do things they wouldn't otherwise do in fantasies.

That's why they're fantasies.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I have to admit, one of the most striking memories of this series is definitely the first time Eren becomes a Titan, where Mikasa doesn't actually understand him enough to talk to him but Armin does, because she's always had this specific image of Eren in her head to be devoted to and certain of, whereas Armin questions the world constantly and never is certain of anything but uses that to talk to others.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I also recall Mikasa completely misinterperting Eren's expression when he succeeds in the 3DMG training. Armin and the rest (correctly) see Eren's determination and passion, whereas Mikasa perceives Eren being happy he won't be separated from her.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

splitting hairs, I’m leaning against ‘shared fantasy’ or ‘alternate timeline’ and thinking chapter 1 Eren only saw the very significant moment where Mikasa let go. Maybe.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It all returns to nothing, It all comes rumbling down, rumbling down, rumbling down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lamebot posted:

It all returns to nothing, It all comes rumbling down, rumbling down, rumbling down.

Kiss you with a kiss that wasn't true
It wasn't you at all
Hide behind a painted smile, did you know that
You would live a lie or two
Pull the very ground from under you
And leave you nowhere else to run
You can sail the seven seas and find
Love is a place you'll never see
Passing you like a summer breeze
You feel life has no other reason to be
You can wait a million years and find
That heaven's too far away from you
Love's just a thing others do

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think the final chapter still can answer the main doubts, about Eren, his motivation, Historia, etc. However, I suspect some other stuff, like what's going to happen in the future decades to Paradis, or secondary relationships like Annie and Armin, will be left to the reader's imagination.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Yeah the idea is probably they will be free to chart their own course (without perpetrating or experiencing more genocide).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Attack on Paradis debuts in 3 months.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't remember because I have an awful memory, how many people were cheering on the Jaegerists in the manga when it was where the anime currently is?

It's wild to me how people are stanning for them, but I'm not sure how much of that is the power of hindsight for me. I think I remember still wanting to believe that Eren had good intentions, but I don't remember what I thought of the Jaegerists.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember Floch being fun to hate and still liking Eren himself, didn’t care much for the actual Yeagerists

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
RIP kernig chameleon

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Only 3 episodes left and we're in the middle of chapter 112, very likely this part will end right as Marley shows up, maybe with this shot here:

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Eustace posted:

RIP kernig chameleon

did they finally get banned

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

did they finally get banned

They got banned multiple times.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Viridiant posted:

I can't remember because I have an awful memory, how many people were cheering on the Jaegerists in the manga when it was where the anime currently is?

It's wild to me how people are stanning for them, but I'm not sure how much of that is the power of hindsight for me. I think I remember still wanting to believe that Eren had good intentions, but I don't remember what I thought of the Jaegerists.

Largely it was the Jeagerists were bad, but maybe Eren still had good intentions.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

just read the past 4 months worth in one go, seeing the entire battle on the spine in a single sitting worked really well

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Bilirubin posted:

just read the past 4 months worth in one go, seeing the entire battle on the spine in a single sitting worked really well

I'm definitely thinking that the final arc, like Uprising and Return to Shiganshina, will be better when there's not a month of waiting and speculation between each chapter.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Viridiant posted:

It's more like they're ride or die with Eren, because he's the "main character" and anime fans shorthand stuff like protagonist -> hero. It's the same limited process that lets the same people cheer on Eren killing civilians but castigate Gabi for killing the fan-favorite character.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I was cheering on Eren because it made for the better story.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Conspiratiorist posted:

I was cheering on Eren because it made for the better story.

This as well as who doesn't like a good prison break/coup arc.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I kept hoping it was all a fakeout or that Eren was playing 3D chess to trick the jaegerists. It didnt hit me that he might be the baddie until Grisha started begging Zeke to stop him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eustace posted:

I kept hoping it was all a fakeout or that Eren was playing 3D chess to trick the jaegerists. It didnt hit me that he might be the baddie until Grisha started begging Zeke to stop him.

Given that we felt like Eren was secretly against Zeke, who also had a horrific evil plan, it was a bit shocking his plan was even more evil.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Given that we felt like Eren was secretly against Zeke, who also had a horrific evil plan, it was a bit shocking his plan was even more evil.

I feel like more evil is debatable, given the philosophical implications of both plans (and how it still feels like there's at least one more card in Eren's hand we haven't seen), but Eren's plan is definitely much, much more horrific. Especially because, unlike Zeke, we see that he understands why what he's doing is wrong, and isn't able to keep the distance that Zeke does.

Also, it's funny to see people talking about this episode and how much danger Levi is in, when Levi is the danger.

Even down two fingers, an eye, a leg, and almost everyone he's ever cared for, Levi is still humanity's strongest soldier.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

(and how it still feels like there's at least one more card in Eren's hand)

Nah pretty sure he is dead now.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

like Founder Ymir, only way Eren is dead right now is if he chose to die. He can pull Reiner’s consciousness moving if he wants to.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah pretty sure he is dead now.

How many times has he died now? Just ballpark it.

I wasn't even thinking about that angle, though. We haven't seen Eren's thoughts for a while, we haven't seen how he persuaded Historia and Grisha to back his play, we haven't seen why Ymir's smiling. Even working with the most likely assumption that Eren is as dead as old Marley, it looks like there's at least one part of his plans we haven't seen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bees x1000 posted:

like Founder Ymir, only way Eren is dead right now is if he chose to die. He can pull Reiner’s consciousness moving if he wants to.

I think he did that already which he why he is alive right now. Plus he has nowhere to transfer. Plus the last words in this chapter were the last ones he heard when we had his point of view as a child.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It definitely felt like the centipede was a setup for the complete destruction of titan powers but I'm not sure how they get there from here.

Also if what everyone is saying is true, and everyone ends up un-titanized at the end of this, it's gonna be wild for the remaining rumbling titans to get caught up on the action.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

How many times has he died now? Just ballpark it.

I wasn't even thinking about that angle, though. We haven't seen Eren's thoughts for a while, we haven't seen how he persuaded Historia and Grisha to back his play, we haven't seen why Ymir's smiling. Even working with the most likely assumption that Eren is as dead as old Marley, it looks like there's at least one part of his plans we haven't seen.

The narration this time outright says fairwell to him. Also pretty sure Historia and Grisha did not back him. Grisha seemed unable to control himself, and Historia could not do anything.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus he has nowhere to transfer.

hm? he’s got a whole colossus titan body to work with.

I’m not saying he is or he isn’t dead, just that his death if it happens is very likely to be voluntary.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MonsterEnvy posted:

The narration this time outright says fairwell to him. Also pretty sure Historia and Grisha did not back him. Grisha seemed unable to control himself, and Historia could not do anything.

Historia's pregnancy was voluntary.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Historia could have ratted on him to the MPs and the whole thing would be over, and Grisha fed himself to Eren, despite having just cried to Zeke about stopping Eren. It would be easy for them to stop him, and yet, they didn't.

And you're relying on the same narration that insisted the Rumbling couldn't be stopped. It's not exactly 100 percent reliable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

It definitely felt like the centipede was a setup for the complete destruction of titan powers but I'm not sure how they get there from here.

Also if what everyone is saying is true, and everyone ends up un-titanized at the end of this, it's gonna be wild for the remaining rumbling titans to get caught up on the action.
I think it will die from its lack of host.

bees x1000 posted:

hm? he’s got a whole colossus titan body to work with.

I’m not saying he is or he isn’t dead, just that his death if it happens is very likely to be voluntary.

Reiner only survived rvied cause he had his actual bodies spine intact and a titan brain. His body still could not act until he regrew his real head. Eren only has his head. No other part of his actual body to transfer to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Historia could have ratted on him to the MPs and the whole thing would be over, and Grisha fed himself to Eren, despite having just cried to Zeke about stopping Eren. It would be easy for them to stop him, and yet, they didn't.

And you're relying on the same narration that insisted the Rumbling couldn't be stopped. It's not exactly 100 percent reliable.

I don’t think Grisha was in control of himself as I said. He sided against Eren in the big Titan battle shortly ago. Historia I think did not have the will to rat him out, she cared about him too much, and may have hoped he would not actually go through with it.