Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Brocktoon posted:

I hate him and his smug love of his own loving voice so much.

Superrodan posted:

If I had his singing voice I'd be smug as heck too.

I would love to see a production of The Music Man with him as Hill. His brand of surface level affable but also you sorta want to punch his used-car-salesman face is basically the ideal description of the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfoTmiWsfD0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boco_T posted:

Boss Level rules but the people in this thread hate my action movie opinions already

Boss Level is fantastic! It really gets what makes the groundhog framework tick.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Boss Level is fantastic! It really gets what makes the groundhog framework tick.

The smushy stuff with his son is so awkward, and I felt bad for Naomi Watts having to be there at all basically, but I did really like him grabbing the minigun at the end. Plus, Mel Gibson saying "loving liberals"

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5igGhX9myvk

Muthafucka @ 2:10

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Where is Murphy Brown streaming?

e ew, CBS All Access

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Hound posted:

Where is Murphy Brown streaming?

e ew, CBS All Access

drat didn’t know there’d be a Murphy Brown fan on the forums. Get out of here, boomer.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh it was old when I was a kid, I just never actually saw it

e and also yes I'm old

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 6, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alec Eiffel posted:

drat didn’t know there’d be a Murphy Brown fan on the forums. Get out of here, boomer.

I forgot that there was a reboot of it in 2019.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Everyone did

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I have a soft spot for Murphy Brown, I would have only been 8 or 9 watching it my mom. I haven't seen it 30 years so it probably doesn't hold up but it seemed like a world of difference from a lot of other sitcom roles for women.

Plus it let Dan Quayle step on his own dick just as he was starting to dig himself out of the his first batch of mistakes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Nihonniboku posted:

Wait, a reboot? Hahaha, never realized.

(Yes, I watched Murphy Brown. Cable TV as new thing in the early 90's in my house so I would sit there and watch as many shows I could, no matter if they were re-runs).

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Solarbabies on Amazon Prime. Man, there sure is a lot of rollerskating in the post-apocalypse! The movie is really cheesy, and it's a mix of Mad Max, Rollerball, and hip 80s kids on rollerskates. If you're a fan of these sorts of movies, it might be worth a watch. Anybody else watch this?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

I just watched Solarbabies on Amazon Prime. Man, there sure is a lot of rollerskating in the post-apocalypse! The movie is really cheesy, and it's a mix of Mad Max, Rollerball, and hip 80s kids on rollerskates. If you're a fan of these sorts of movies, it might be worth a watch. Anybody else watch this?

Yeah, on premium cable when it came out. About 100 times. Now to make 101.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was more of a Prayer of the Rollerboys guy myself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly i felt like Boss Level's greatest sin was that...it's sorta boring. It has action, sure, but most of it is isn't very visually appealing or dynamic. It has an edge on Michael Bay in that it's not like 3 hours long and it put a smile on my face a couple times but i found it mostly awkward and lame.
I didn't even feel like it added anything entertaining to the canon of Groundhog Day riffs other than to be like "woah isnt that kinda like...a videogame??" and then use that as an excuse to have as bland and perfunctory a style/structure as possible. It ain't Hardcore Henry. A lot of the time it feels like this conceit in the hands of a man as bland as Carnahan's is just an excuse for recycling/reusing content and filling time rather than making entertaining inventive choices. Most of it is like watching a videogame playthrough.

it's funny, the way the ending was shot I took it as him immediately getting macheted in the head on waking up and going "piece of cake" and the stupid dark humor of that choice tickled me tremendously...but apparently that's not what happened.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 7, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

LOL just LOL if you watched Solarbabies on premium cable, the correct way to watch this movie was on broadcast TV as the weekday afternoon movie.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my god how have I never seen this show movie :catstare:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Enjoy your new favorite movie :allears:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I enjoyed Boss Level, but I really like Frank Grillo and want to see him as the protagonist in more things. I also like Will Sasso, even though he doesn't have a whole lot to do here.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Shageletic posted:

Nah man youre right Boss Level was great. Very self aware, and ultimately and completely surprisingly, very sweet.

The best of the Groundhog ripoffs in recent times in my estimation. Gonna head over to the action thread to talk about it i think

Palm Springs was better.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Anyone else suffering through Servant or am I the only one?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm watching it. It's interesting but I think it's getting long in the tooth.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is Coming 2 America any good? I liked the first one but this looks like it could be a boring rehash.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It really is a good movie.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

Is Coming 2 America any good? I liked the first one but this looks like it could be a boring rehash.

It doesn't break any new ground or have any serious conflict, but there are some solid laughs throughout. Didn't feel like a waste of two hours or anything.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Colostomy Bag posted:

Suffering? Nah I find it great. Lauren Ambrose is killing it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This is just on the History Channel app, but holy poo poo do we love The Food That Built America. By form, it's a very standard docu-series. It talks about various major American brands (Hersheys, Kellogg's, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc etc.), threading talking head segments from various historian/celebrity chefs with historical re-enactments.

But the execution is fuckin great. Everything is treated with utmost seriousness. The re-enactments are insane melodramas, and the narration style and scoring is roughly similar to what you might see in a show about military conflicts. It's pretty interesting material presented in the most insane way possible.

EDIT: Season 1 is apparently on Hulu, too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The X-man cometh posted:

Not really. It basically pulls a reverse of the original, and is now a fish out of water for his apparent son coming to Africa. They seem to draw a lot of inspiration from Black Panther, but a lot of the jokes are just repeats of the first movie, and relying on the charm of Leslie Jones and Tracey Morgan.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Tonight's cheesy sci-fi movie: Space Raiders. It mostly a pretty fun Star Wars knockoff about a kid who falls in with a group of space cowboys. I liked the first two thirds, but didn't like the ending as much. Some of the matte paintings are really nice, but I could have used a tiny bit more explanation about who "the company" was. Roger Corman was the producer. I'd probably put it on the same tier as Solarbabies.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
I love me some Black Dynamite.

What ever happened to The Outlaw Johnny Black?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XLXSOG7zBo
The trailer came out years ago, I hope it hasn't disappeared into development hell.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

baalaagaa posted:

I love me some Black Dynamite.

What ever happened to The Outlaw Johnny Black?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XLXSOG7zBo
The trailer came out years ago, I hope it hasn't disappeared into development hell.

The fundraising only made like $30k, way below their goal, but MJW said they were gonna make it anyway. That was right after the campaign ended though, and it’s been basically radio silence ever since. I’m assuming it’s either dead or won’t be made for a decade.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Nihonniboku posted:

Not really. It basically pulls a reverse of the original, and is now a fish out of water for his apparent son coming to Africa. They seem to draw a lot of inspiration from Black Panther, but a lot of the jokes are just repeats of the first movie, and relying on the charm of Leslie Jones and Tracey Morgan.

Yeah, it's basically a movie that asks you to remember this joke from the first movie, because here's a rehash of it.

It's easy viewing but not a patch on the original, which is to be expected.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The X-man cometh posted:

It's ok. Not hilarious, but pretty entertaining. Snipes is solid again in a comedic role.

I feel like the reverse fish out of water with his son coming to Wak...Zamunda doesn't work as well as the prince in Queens did in the first movie.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Yea I’m enjoying it as well.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

nate fisher posted:

Wait, Lauren Ambrose has a new show? I loved her in Six Feet Unde--

:hmmyes:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Allen v. Farrow is making me seriously reconsider my stance on chemical castration

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

The X-man cometh posted:

I actually found the film horrifying

The film reveals early on that Akeem was drugged and date raped after the club scene in the original which produced his son. This is never referred to again nor is a DNA test requested by anyone. Since the film hinges on Akeem having a son (who doesn't become the heir & not due to him being a bastard), I strongly recommend not seeing the film

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The X-man cometh posted:

That's exactly what it is, but it inverts the trope so Eddie Murphy doesn't have to work as hard and some newcomer is the center of the plot. Unfortunately, he is not as charismatic or funny.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I wanted to watch Watchman series but now I don't. 😔

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B496r3bPwQ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wanted to watch Watchman series but now I don't. 😔

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B496r3bPwQ8

But you watched a lengthy video essay that shows a bunch of spoilery poo poo instead of just watching the show?