Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Ah, that WIN+PrtScn was new to me. I'll try that.

The only issue I’ve run into is if you have HDR on the screen shots might not look correct for whatever reason.

That is on my setup so it may not happen to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Just looking for free, simple screenshot software to capture screenshots of games that isn't:
  • Steam or GOG Galaxy, or any other thing that is a front end for other things
  • OBS (I know this works, I just want something simpler)
  • the XBOX game bar thing
  • Something else that mainly does other things and only takes screenshots as a side gig

I'm using an old :filez: copy of FRAPS at the moment, just wondering if something else exists.

The absolute best thing for this and one of the pieces of software I use every day is ShareX. It's beyond a doubt exactly what you're looking for. The default setup actually uploads your screenshot to imgur and puts the link on your clipboard automatically but I'm sure you can have it just save locally. You get tons of options for what area you want to screenshot, you can apply things like blurs or mosaics before the screenshot finishes, etc. It's super sleek. Everyone should have it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

VelociBacon posted:

The absolute best thing for this and one of the pieces of software I use every day is ShareX. It's beyond a doubt exactly what you're looking for. The default setup actually uploads your screenshot to imgur and puts the link on your clipboard automatically but I'm sure you can have it just save locally. You get tons of options for what area you want to screenshot, you can apply things like blurs or mosaics before the screenshot finishes, etc. It's super sleek. Everyone should have it.

Oh hey. I'd heard about this before, but I didn't know it could screenshot games. I'll check this out too. Being able to at least select a format and output directory is nice to have.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Seconding ShareX. I switched from using Snagit (which is also excellent!) because it was free and actually better than Snagit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Oh hey. I'd heard about this before, but I didn't know it could screenshot games. I'll check this out too. Being able to at least select a format and output directory is nice to have.

The only issue I ever have with it in screenshotting games is when CTRL does something in the game that you don't want screenshot (the default screenshot hotkey is CTRL-PrtScr). Otherwise yeah it's so fantastic, especially for sharing stuff in discords etc. It takes literally less than 2s to screenshot it, tab over to the chat, and paste it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's also this feature in Windows Settings -> Ease of access -> Keyboard which I find to be very handy

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Just looking for free, simple screenshot software to capture screenshots of games that isn't:
  • Steam or GOG Galaxy, or any other thing that is a front end for other things
  • OBS (I know this works, I just want something simpler)
  • the XBOX game bar thing
  • Something else that mainly does other things and only takes screenshots as a side gig

I'm using an old :filez: copy of FRAPS at the moment, just wondering if something else exists.

Win shift s

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Is there a way to find an error log if you have a usb device that windows 10 decides to not recognise? Can't seem to spot anything in event viewer

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Super pointless question here!

I'm wondering what the default setting is for "Hide folder merge conflicts", is it checked or unchecked? (I assume it's checked)

To check or if you don't know what this is, go Folder Options > View Tab > "Hide folder merge conflicts".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

Super pointless question here!

I'm wondering what the default setting is for "Hide folder merge conflicts", is it checked or unchecked? (I assume it's checked)

To check or if you don't know what this is, go Folder Options > View Tab > "Hide folder merge conflicts".

unchecked

checking it makes this dialog not appear:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Can anyone suggest some good and free alternatives to Teamviewer? The Teamviewer software has ceased to allow me to connect to my other devices for more than 30 seconds at a time due to "licensing issues," which is a well-known and never-fixed "problem" that I'm fairly convinced exists really just to pressure people into buying their overpriced monthly subscriptions.

Ideally not he Windows-native RDP client because I don't really want to mess with Windows settings every time I need a system to be accessible to remote access for a while.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AnyDesk works pretty well and it's free.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Can anyone suggest some good and free alternatives to Teamviewer? The Teamviewer software has ceased to allow me to connect to my other devices for more than 30 seconds at a time due to "licensing issues," which is a well-known and never-fixed "problem" that I'm fairly convinced exists really just to pressure people into buying their overpriced monthly subscriptions.

Ideally not he Windows-native RDP client because I don't really want to mess with Windows settings every time I need a system to be accessible to remote access for a while.

Jump Desktop is free on Windows.
Chrome Remote Desktop is just fine.
Parsec is great but its focus is low latency above all else, I think.
You can even use Steam link to get into the desktop if you want to futz around with windows every time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks, I'll be giving those a try.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Quick Assist built into Windows is good if you're needing to provide remote assistance rather than unattended access. It can't handle UAC elevations though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

unchecked

Thanks for confirming.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I just found out that Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will save information you enter during Fill & Sign for its autocomplete feature which is separate from its regular autocomplete feature and cannot be turned off (unless you are logged in in which case it'd save it to Adobe's cloud storage and you can turn it off in your online account settings supposedly but hahaha if you trust Adobe to behave with your data).

So I have uninstalled it forever. Does anyone have recommendations for a PDF reader with fill/sign features that aren't actively trying to cause an information breach?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a giant list of karaoke songs that I've exported to an Excel file. The file has Artist -> Title. I'd like to find something that I can feed that to and have it search for genres. Any recommendations?

Edit - Found a few tagging programs that'll do the trick.

Another related question - I have a ton of files that are in subdirectories. Is there any way to move all those files from their subdirectories to one major directory? Short of manually doing each one.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 4, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Another related question - I have a ton of files that are in subdirectories. Is there any way to move all those files from their subdirectories to one major directory? Short of manually doing each one.

TotalCommander has Branch view that will show all files in folder and subolders.
In Windows explorer open folder in search box type *.* press enter.

Medullah posted:

Edit - Found a few tagging programs that'll do the trick.
It would be nice if you posted which ones worked.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 4, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MikusR posted:

TotalCommander has Branch view that will show all files in folder and subolders.
In Windows explorer open folder in search box type *.* press enter.

Yeah this is what I ended up doing, didn't think it would work with that many files but hey, it did.

quote:

It would be nice if you posted which ones worked.

I ended up using AudioRanger which seems pretty good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is a weird one. We just did a new install of windows 10 pro on a friend’s desktop. She’s looking to format an external drive to exfat. However, right clicking the drive, properties and then file system only has ntfs. Not even FAT.

How do we get the option for other file systems, especially exfat?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
You could try wiping the first few megabytes of the disk using Eraser or something (as opposed to wiping the whole thing which would take ages). Once you've blown away that early partition info try formatting it again and see if you get more options. No idea if this will help, but if you don't need the data on it anyway you aren't losing anything to give it a try.

Obviously if you do try wiping the beginning of that disk, be very sure you are selecting the correct one!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

You could try wiping the first few megabytes of the disk using Eraser or something (as opposed to wiping the whole thing which would take ages). Once you've blown away that early partition info try formatting it again and see if you get more options. No idea if this will help, but if you don't need the data on it anyway you aren't losing anything to give it a try.

Obviously if you do try wiping the beginning of that disk, be very sure you are selecting the correct one!

Yeah I tried a diskpart clean on a different disk and still just ntfs as the only FS option after initializing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are you sure the drive meets the requirements to be formatted that way? Like maybe there's a maximum size?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've had that happen a couple times and I just used command prompt to format how I wanted it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Format UI only showing the NTFS option seems to be because if windows mounts a NTFS partition, it only presents the NTFS option for that drive letter / mount. And that can persist even if you blow away the partition or do diskpart clean, because the problem isn't the drive, it's the disk service. Probably until you reboot or something.

Command prompt version of format will work, and I think this will also work:
1. use disk manager
2. starting from clean drive, make a new simple volume
3. do not assign a drive letter or mount
4. format it how you like

I vaguely remember that I've run into this before, and I'm pretty sure I solved it by futzing in disk manager until it worked. Command line would have been faster.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Are you sure the drive meets the requirements to be formatted that way? Like maybe there's a maximum size?

exFAT goes to 1/2 petabyte and beyond, so not on current drives.

OTOH there's a size minimum (in the format UI):

quote:

Windows 10 only allows formatting exFAT on volumes sized 32 GiB or larger with the default user interface, and FAT32 format is suggested for lower sizes; command-line utilities still accept a full range of file systems and allocation unit sizes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I would just generally recommend taking a quick look at what diskpart can do - it's a simple and powerful tool. In this case, something like this:
code:
list disk
select disk N
clean
create partition primary
format fs=exfat quick
assign

It may still fail, but at least it should get you a slightly better error message.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GreenNight posted:

AnyDesk works pretty well and it's free.
I got around to trying this and I really like it. The setup is quick and uncomplicated and the connection is way, way faster than Teamviewer ever was. Thank you again for the recommendation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry for the doublepost, but does anyone know of a utility that I can use to modify the analog stick deadzone on an old Xbox 360 controller? Mine is getting a bit noodly and I don't want to run everything through Steam all the time.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
How do I disable Windows automatic restart for updates? I have Windows 10 Pro, I've previously edited GP rules to disable it, but apparently its loving back.

I run simulations on my workstation that take days but this loving "feature" kills them to ensure I have the latest printer drivers or whatever the gently caress.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FunOne posted:

How do I disable Windows automatic restart for updates? I have Windows 10 Pro, I've previously edited GP rules to disable it, but apparently its loving back.

I run simulations on my workstation that take days but this loving "feature" kills them to ensure I have the latest printer drivers or whatever the gently caress.

Go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Pause updates

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Pause updates

This will temporarily pause them but you can't permanently turn off auto-update. You can change it in GPO but from what I understand that will revert after you do an update. Microsoft really, really wants you updating.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

For good reason, really. In any software that lets you easily disable updates permanently, many people end up never running updates at all, so the best practice is to just not give them any choice about it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FunOne posted:

So this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but if you're often doing tasks that need to be running uninterrupted for days then a dedicated air-gapped workstation is the best solution.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
It's not like I never restart for updates, it's just a pain in the rear end to set everything back up, which is why I did it Friday. Windows said it was updated and good to go.

So it updated over the weekend and hosed up my stuff anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can use pihole or something like it to block access to the update servers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FunOne posted:

1. Check these group policies to make sure you've got the right ones (MS has changed poo poo over time):
No auto-restart with logged on users - enabled
Specify deadlines for automatic updates - extend grace period to 7 days, check box

2. If those are already set or not good enough, switch updates to scheduled or manual:
Configure Automatic Updates - I would suggest either option #3, or option #4 with a scheduled monthly or bi-monthly install day that you can know in advance and keep in your calendar. (That seems like it would work if you have any sort of regular pattern to when you're running these, like over the weekend.)

I used #3 for a while, before they added the policies to prevent restarts. They get very aggressive with notifications after about two weeks of not updating. (Which is two weeks from your last update, because this also includes the defender definition files that are delivered through Update and come out every couple days.)

If you go this route make sure you're reading the tech news where you'll see reports of any major security patch that you'll want to take right away.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FunOne posted:

It's not like I never restart for updates, it's just a pain in the rear end to set everything back up, which is why I did it Friday. Windows said it was updated and good to go.

So it updated over the weekend and hosed up my stuff anyway.

That's why you should click "Pause Updates". It's the easiest solution that works 100% of the time. Without any weird tinkering required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
With VMWare Player, is there any way to give a VM a flexible amount of resources? What is the term for such a thing?

I have an Ubuntu VM running Nextcloud and I’d love to give it like 6 cores when my computer is idle and someone is searching for files, but then bring it back down to 1-2 when the VM isn’t really doing anything and I want to play a game or whatever. It’d be nice to do with RAM as well but I can probably just buy more of that as needed at some point. Is this possible?