Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Seems like my best option is a correctly sized steel stockpot that will also fit in my oven?... but I can see it being an issue trying to find one sides that are thick enough to prevent scorching.

You are way over thinking this.

edit: If you are using the pot in the oven with mostly liquid in it for making stock or stew then the liquid is going to be 212F/100C. Not higher. The entire metal vessel is going to be dumping excess heat into that liquid and it too will only marginally increase in temp over 212F/100C.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

any recs on a good, affordable Chinese-style cleaver/chef knife? I picked up a really nice knife for a friend but he wants something else for more heavy-duty every day use, specifically a cleaver, and something cheap enough/sturdy enough that he can beat it up a bit

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

any recs on a good, affordable Chinese-style cleaver/chef knife? I picked up a really nice knife for a friend but he wants something else for more heavy-duty every day use, specifically a cleaver, and something cheap enough/sturdy enough that he can beat it up a bit

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32577621142.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.74974c4dTr3iaK

e; I think I got a half dozen of these this past christmas as a stocking stuffer. Really good value for what it is.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 5, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Verisimilidude posted:

As one of those crazy Chinese cleaver partisans I've gone over this very subject in detail in the kitchen knife thread a couple times. Used to be the standard rec was the CCK small slicer, nowadays I'm suggesting a SBZ S210 if you want something just like the CCK only less expensive, and the SBZ F208 if you want one in stainless. Quoting myself for the pics and detailed specs:

SubG posted:

There's a seller on aliexpress here is selling the S210-1 for US$22.62 and the S210-2 for US$22.12. This is listed as a 49% off sale that ends in a few hours, but when it expires there will be another `sale' at approximately the same price.

That's the seller I bought mine off of (via aliexpress) several months ago (for the same price). Didn't have any problems with them, but buying poo poo off aliexpress is like buying poo poo off eBay---most of the time there are no problems, but occasionally you get a dodgy seller.

Anyway, I threw the CCK and SBZ on the table and took some pics and measurements. Click for big:

The more patina'd one top right is the CCK KF1301 (the real tell here is that CCK's phone number is stamped into the blade, which is true for most CCK knives). The one lower left is the SBZ S210-1. Individual examples of both vary a little, but the CCK is 232 x 101 mm, 2.79 mm thick at the spine, and weighs 367 g. The SBZ is 228 x 95 mm, 2.67 mm at the spine, and weighs 421 g. In the hand they're more or less identical. Like I've been using that CCK more or less daily for like a loving decade so I can (or I think I can) tell there's a small difference, but that would probably be true if you just gave me a different CCK KF1301.

SubG posted:

This is a SBZ F208-1. Unlike the other cleavers I've posted in this thread it's stainless instead of high carbon. Thickness along the spine at the heel is just a hair over 2.3mm. Blade is 225mm x 95 mm. Weighs around 379 g. The CCK is a KF1301 (the #1 small slicer, bigger cousin of the one everybody knows from ck2g), which is 232 mm x 101 mm x 2.8 mm and 367 g.

Picked it up just because I wanted to try a stainless sangdao and liked the other SBZ cleaver I own. The fit and finish is noticeably nicer than on the similarly-priced carbon steel cleavers (including the CCK). Still not fancy, but a step up from the utilitarian workhorse construction of the others. You mostly notice it on the tolerances on the ferrule and the machining of the handle. Doesn't really affect usage any, just throwing it out there.

The SBZ is around US$30 from aliexpress.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I have a Deng TA-01 which I think was also recommended in the knife thread a while back, and looks really similar to the carbon steel SBZ above, but with a western-style handle. Be aware that these are basically a drop-in replacement for a chef's knife and aren't heavy enough to hack through bones

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

whoa, awesome recs! I may pick one up for myself as well.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Verisimilidude posted:

whoa, awesome recs! I may pick one up for myself as well.

I picked up an SBZ 208 a month ago and I think it's a great piece of gear.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Seems like my best option is a correctly sized steel stockpot that will also fit in my oven?... but I can see it being an issue trying to find one sides that are thick enough to prevent scorching.

My dude just buy a stainless steel pot that's big enough to cook the amount of food you regularly plan on making

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SubG posted:

As one of those crazy Chinese cleaver partisans I've gone over this very subject in detail in the kitchen knife thread a couple times. Used to be the standard rec was the CCK small slicer, nowadays I'm suggesting a SBZ S210 if you want something just like the CCK only less expensive, and the SBZ F208 if you want one in stainless. Quoting myself for the pics and detailed specs:

It seems like those links are broken and I'm not finding anything for those model numbers. Are they available somewhere else?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Booyah- posted:

It seems like those links are broken and I'm not finding anything for those model numbers. Are they available somewhere else?
Nephzinho's post immediately above mine links to the same merchant's current listing for the F208. Somewhat confusingly it lists the different sizes as colour options: the larger F208-1 is the "black" option and the slightly smaller F208-2 is the "grey" option.

They seem to rotate listings semi-regularly, apparently to maintain the illusion that the price is an amazing 40-50% off sale instead of the price they always sell 'em for, so if someone in the future looks at these posts and discovers the link is dead, that's probably why. The merchant is called "Only You online store" and I don't know anything about them other than they sold me several cleavers and they always shipped promptly and always sent me what I ordered.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SubG posted:

Nephzinho's post immediately above mine links to the same merchant's current listing for the F208. Somewhat confusingly it lists the different sizes as colour options: the larger F208-1 is the "black" option and the slightly smaller F208-2 is the "grey" option.

They seem to rotate listings semi-regularly, apparently to maintain the illusion that the price is an amazing 40-50% off sale instead of the price they always sell 'em for, so if someone in the future looks at these posts and discovers the link is dead, that's probably why. The merchant is called "Only You online store" and I don't know anything about them other than they sold me several cleavers and they always shipped promptly and always sent me what I ordered.

Cool, thanks. I wanted the carbon steel one for cool factor so I'll keeping checking the merchant

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Ultra Carp
I already have a cleaver knife and I want an actual cleaver for the occasions when I need to hack up some meat. What's a good choice?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Booyah- posted:

Cool, thanks. I wanted the carbon steel one for cool factor so I'll keeping checking the merchant

I bought a ShiBaZi 210-1 from “MISGAR Kitchenware Trading Co.” in December and it’s legit.

Listing’s still up.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 8, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I bought a ShiBaZi 201-1 from “MISGAR Kitchenware Trading Co.” in December and it’s legit.

Listing’s still up.

Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Am I imagining things or is the foggy version of the 16oz reditainer impossible to find right now

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Am I imagining things or is the foggy version of the 16oz reditainer impossible to find right now

These?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

For some reason when you buy them this is what shows up on your doorstep:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dave Arnold talked about this on Cooking Issues around January 7. His restaurateur guest said he calls the supplier after he places the order to specify which manufacturer he wants, since otherwise they grab a random batch.

He didn't actually mention which manufacturer is the good one though, sorry!

I assume the increase in delivery dining has increased demand --> production --> quality drop.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What makes one preferable to the other?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ime the clear are more brittle.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Reccs on a good coffee grinder or a guide on how to properly make coffee? My wife has a French press that she uses once a day with Dunkin Donut's coffee grounds. She just received a gift of some fancy coffee beans and wants to know more about how to make a proper cup of coffee.

She's the only one that drinks coffee in the house so we're looking to just make 1-2 cups a day.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Do you have a budget or price point in mind?
Come to the coffee thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887&pagenumber=384&perpage=40

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I know people in this thread have talked about Tramontina pans but I don't remember if it was in the context of stainless or non-stick. I'm currently looking at a set of their porcelain enamel non-sticks and wondered if anyone had thoughts or experiences.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

Reccs on a good coffee grinder or a guide on how to properly make coffee? My wife has a French press that she uses once a day with Dunkin Donut's coffee grounds. She just received a gift of some fancy coffee beans and wants to know more about how to make a proper cup of coffee.

She's the only one that drinks coffee in the house so we're looking to just make 1-2 cups a day.

I bought the OXO burr grinder and haven’t looked back. It’s very loud, but produces a perfect even grind basically every time, and the hopper is just large enough to hold 12 oz of coffee beans that come in my subscription. That said, I make 30 ounces of coffee every day, sometimes twice, so I go through a decent amount of beans.

Got mine at BB&B in a sale for $80.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bamhand posted:

A proper cup of french press coffee? My method is to place 4 scoops of whole beans, ground with a spice grinder until about as fine as Mortin's coarse kosher salt, into the bottom of the press. Pour 24 ounces of boiling water over them (some people say to wait a few minutes until the water is ~190ish, never tried that) and let the 'raft' of grounds float at the top for 1 minute. Once the minute is up stir the grounds thoroughly with a spoon and then wait 3 more minutes. Once the three minutes are up press the filter down, pour and enjoy.

This is adapted from various sources, Good Eats, Serious Eats, Babish and etc..

IMO the 1 minute raft period before stirring is the key. I used to just stir in the water right away and it was never a 'great' cup of coffee when I did that.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Robviously posted:

I know people in this thread have talked about Tramontina pans but I don't remember if it was in the context of stainless or non-stick. I'm currently looking at a set of their porcelain enamel non-sticks and wondered if anyone had thoughts or experiences.

my experience with Tramontina is that their Brazil-made stuff is indestructible and their China-made stuff is on par with any other company's cheaply made stuff from China.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What makes one preferable to the other?

The foggy ones are thicker and feel a little sturdier

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

What grater do folks like for cheese and veggie grating? I've hated nearly every box grater I've ever used either because they're too small or uncomfortable to hold. I saw someone somewhere suggest a more coarse and wider microplane which seems like it might be the ticket?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What grater do folks like for cheese and veggie grating? I've hated nearly every box grater I've ever used either because they're too small or uncomfortable to hold. I saw someone somewhere suggest a more coarse and wider microplane which seems like it might be the ticket?

Are you specifically looking for a box grater? I like this one because it's super compact.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Multi-Grater/dp/B00004OCKU/

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Murgos posted:

A proper cup of french press coffee? My method is to place 4 scoops of whole beans, ground with a spice grinder until about as fine as Mortin's coarse kosher salt, into the bottom of the press. Pour 24 ounces of boiling water over them (some people say to wait a few minutes until the water is ~190ish, never tried that) and let the 'raft' of grounds float at the top for 1 minute. Once the minute is up stir the grounds thoroughly with a spoon and then wait 3 more minutes. Once the three minutes are up press the filter down, pour and enjoy.

This is adapted from various sources, Good Eats, Serious Eats, Babish and etc..

IMO the 1 minute raft period before stirring is the key. I used to just stir in the water right away and it was never a 'great' cup of coffee when I did that.

How big is one scoop of beans?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

xtal posted:

Are you specifically looking for a box grater? I like this one because it's super compact.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Multi-Grater/dp/B00004OCKU/

I am not but only because historically I have not really liked them but I'm open to whatever if someone has something they really like using.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Someone (OXO?) used to make a box grater that was a tall skinny pyramid with a big ergonomic rubberized ball grip on top but I can't find it anymore.

That's my next box grater after the handle on my current one tore off.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

For some reason when you buy them this is what shows up on your doorstep:

Huh. I'm about 90% sure that's the same SKU I've ordered from before and I've always gotten the other kind.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

i have microplane brand graters in various sizes

https://www.microplane.com/kitchen-graters-gourmet-series

you can rest them on a cutting board with the rubbercoated crossbar and hold the other part with your hand and uhhh do the grating motion.

sometimes ill use a y-shaped peeler on stuff like cucumbers or carrots to make like oblong coins or strips. i also have a benriner mandolin.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 8, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There is always the suspended blade attachments for food processors. I speak from cheeseperience.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

barkbell posted:

i have microplane brand graters in various sizes

https://www.microplane.com/kitchen-graters-gourmet-series

you can rest them on a cutting board with the rubbercoated crossbar and hold the other part with your hand and uhhh do the grating motion.

sometimes ill use a y-shaped peeler on stuff like cucumbers or carrots to make like oblong coins or strips. i also have a benriner mandolin.

oh I like these. the rubber feet seem like an important detail not all of them have.

I feel like Ive used something similar to that OXO and its seemed like the plastic ones just don't feel as solid for some reason.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Huh. I'm about 90% sure that's the same SKU I've ordered from before and I've always gotten the other kind.

Yes, SKUs that used to give me the thick extreme freeze reditainers now send me the clear ones

SKU swap fuckery has been terrible this past year on Amazon

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There is always the suspended blade attachments for food processors. I speak from cheeseperience.

Yeah, this is the way to go if you need a large amount.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have a handy way to carry all their grilling tools or wok tools around, like a metal pail or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bamhand posted:

How big is one scoop of beans?

2 tablespoons. They used to come in the old giant cans of coffee. The one I am using now came with my coffee maker.