Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wow I hadn't heard about this oh wait that figures

:razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

mediaphage posted:

what was the us national video game team in the 80s like i wonder

Mother loving Walter Day started that UNBELIEVABLE!

also wtf

"Probably Walter posted:

The first several issues of EGM touted it as U.S. National Video Game Team's Electronic Gaming Monthly on the cover and continued to feature the APA International Scoreboard. Shortly into EGMs run, however, these elements began to be slowly phased out. Steve Harris took the publication to Illinois in 1989, splitting up the Team in large part while the APA Scoreboard was eventually replaced with a console-centric list of high scores under the EGM name itself.

More focus went onto the Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine as it grew into the largest multi-platform video game publication on the market, one that still exists in online form to this day. The U.S. National Video Game Team ® name would continue to live on in the EGM masthead well into the 1990s.

The USNVGT name would also live on infamously in appearances in a different form of media as well.

browsers castle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 6, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pile Of Garbage posted:

there's this YT channel about esports that i watch (the score esports) because it's just fascinating how insane everything is. specific to CS in the last decade there has been:

• establishment of regimented leagues and majors with million dollar prize pools
  • multiple match-fixing scandals (biggest being ibuypower, also a recent ruling by the AU regional esports dinguses re ~10 players and 3 orgs)
  • a fuckton of pro players being exploited and sometimes abused by their org and management
  • pro players quitting because turns out you can make more money streaming
  • the emergence of an economy around fuckin weapon skins
  • multiple scandals involving dodgy promotion of skin gambling sites (yes that's right, people gamble their CS weapon skins on third-party sites in games like roulette or coin-toss)
  • pro players being VAC banned mid-game tournaments
  • and the one guy who was caught by admins using cheats at a regional tournament and when they went to intervene he tried to delete the cheat exes so they physically pulled the keyboard+mouse away from him

esports is loving insane. in many ways it's worse than regular sports because players are on contracts which only pay winnings instead of an actual salary. also valve must be making fucktons off this. oh and if you think this is nuts then lol just see dota/lol/siege/valorant/overwatch.

really the only OK esports are starcraft, aoe2 and tekken i guess (pakistani tekken is pure all hail arslan ash)

lol there’s a game esports gamer tycoon or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also was discussing with my kids “what are sports? is gaming sports? is darts or pool?”

and if you say yes./ that’s fine./ it just means the word sports means nothing at all

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sport used to mean shooting things that are alive

maybe also siccing dogs on sometihng and chasing it with horses idk

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

lol there’s a game esports gamer tycoon or something

There are several of them, the money is all in the marketing and the not the games themselves.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't understand the Overwatch franchises thing, why would anyone pay for that? Are there even that many people that watch Overwatch?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't understand the Overwatch franchises thing, why would anyone pay for that? Are there even that many people that watch Overwatch?

It's basically just a league like the NFL, NBA, etc, but for e-sports created because rich people and companies wanted in on the e-sports boom but knew nothing about it.

For the last couple of years overwatch has been on the decline but I guess it has enough of a viewership to keep it afloat. The numbers on their youtube are pitiful though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?overwatchleague?videos

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the only esports I've ever been able to enjoy is rocket league. like other games you enjoy it more if you play it and can appreciate the weird insane stuff those nerds are doing but it's also extremely understandable in that ball goes in net and positioning matters like a real sport

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would like to retract my previous statement and say that there is one ok esport and it’s simracing

it rules and if you’re good enough at it you can parlay that into a real racing career

ain’t no madden player getting recruited into the nfl.
100%, sim racing is pretty rad, there's a couple youtubers I watch who are really entertaining and work well as background noise too.

With sim racing it helps that it's a bit more like the real thing and also the people who are into it competitively seem to mostly be pretty regular people rather than horrendous turbonerds (and you sometimes get real drivers joining in too)

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Everything else is retroactively acoustic sports.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Casual Encountess posted:

imagine if that was the last thing you saw before you ate a missile

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

100%, sim racing is pretty rad, there's a couple youtubers I watch who are really entertaining and work well as background noise too.

With sim racing it helps that it's a bit more like the real thing and also the people who are into it competitively seem to mostly be pretty regular people rather than horrendous turbonerds (and you sometimes get real drivers joining in too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nTsgIG4jo

i wawtched this because of you and this guys way of never stopping talking really makes the video engaging

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i started playing disco elysium last night

it’s *really* good. like ‘oh yeah this was clearly goty the moment it came out and i’m only a few hours in’ good

everything about it is perfect. the art. the unique play mechanics. the writing. the alternate world that feels familiar enough to not be alien but is different enough to make the whole amnesia thing work perfectly. it’s incredible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

i dont think anyone watches overwatch and its just advertisers throwing money in a hole

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

toiletbrush posted:

(and you sometimes get real drivers joining in too)

the real drivers might even drop the gamer word for ya

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g9qORegPpU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

thats exactly the same way i treat those flappy fuckers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Casual Encountess posted:

imagine if that was the last thing you saw before you ate a missile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qByKEu0zdco

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i started playing disco elysium last night

it’s *really* good. like ‘oh yeah this was clearly goty the moment it came out and i’m only a few hours in’ good

everything about it is perfect. the art. the unique play mechanics. the writing. the alternate world that feels familiar enough to not be alien but is different enough to make the whole amnesia thing work perfectly. it’s incredible

i had fun with this game but I softlocked it twice and had to edit my save file both times. I found some post on the steam forums from a dev saying there was no other way to progress from how I ended up

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hopefully they fix the softlocks while adding in the complete voice acting

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arlfDmXt66c

https://awkwardsilencegames.itch.io/washyourhands

quote:

jinosoda
300 days ago
i cant seem to be able to get past the loading screen

> Reply
> Awkward Silence Games
> 299 days ago
> Apologies. The more people that die, the harder the game is going to be to run. It wasn't really optimized for hundred and thousands of graves.
> If it gets to the point where none of us can run it anymore, I'll either refactor some things or just take the game down.

Big oof :smith:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PokeJoe posted:

i had fun with this game but I softlocked it twice and had to edit my save file both times. I found some post on the steam forums from a dev saying there was no other way to progress from how I ended up

yeah with the insane amount of effort they put into the branching dialogue / skill checks it doesn't surprise me that you can lock yourself out at times considering how complicated it must be. i think that just comes with the territory when you make something like this

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bunch of folks have said they enjoyed Subnautica ITT, maybe Breathedge would be of interest? MATN did the first hour of gameplay here (I would watch up until his final trip at 41:43 onward and then stop to avoid spoiling a good joke if you think you want to play the game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sLhquadACI

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Bunch of folks have said they enjoyed Subnautica ITT, maybe Breathedge would be of interest? MATN did the first hour of gameplay here (I would watch up until his final trip at 41:43 onward and then stop to avoid spoiling a good joke if you think you want to play the game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sLhquadACI

just play shipbreaker

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkdJKIPQAgs

lmao A mass brawl breaks out, then everyone looks at you like its your fault.

Welcome to the Flowing Bowl

edit: you have to go back through this channel's uploads, there's some absolute gems.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcybVOrBgpzUxm-mlBT0WTA/videos

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 7, 2021

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nTsgIG4jo

i wawtched this because of you and this guys way of never stopping talking really makes the video engaging
my apologies. I dunno who he is, but TheKie25 and SuperGt are decent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

supergt and Matt Malone are real good sim race YouTubers. both seem like decent people and don’t do the whole faux outrage thing.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

yeah i forgot about this, now theres two games I want to play in vr, Elite Dangerous and Assetto Corsa, screw it I will try to borrow one when I finally get my wheel back from my friend

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i played subnautica on the ps5 today. it's like on the ps4 except it doesn't drop all the frames when you surface

i got the seaglide and radiation suit and compass and vehicle bay and man this game is so much more fun when i'm not loving with food/water meters

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you still are, except that now returning to base means there’s more food than you could ever need right there for the taking

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

elysium update: i solved the case of the renegade driver who jumped the canal. as i found the car in the ice my mind slowly started piecing what actually happened together in my mind right before the game would lead me down the path. my suspicions were confirmed when kim initially didn’t want to investigate but then suddenly had a change of heart once he got a better look at the carriage.

gently caress this game hits hard / is extremely well written. i know i literally just said this two days ago but i feel like i’m gonna be gushing about this game for a while

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

elysium update: i solved the case of the renegade driver who jumped the canal. as i found the car in the ice my mind slowly started piecing what actually happened together in my mind right before the game would lead me down the path. my suspicions were confirmed when kim initially didn’t want to investigate but then suddenly had a change of heart once he got a better look at the carriage.

gently caress this game hits hard / is extremely well written. i know i literally just said this two days ago but i feel like i’m gonna be gushing about this game for a while

Same thing with Outer Wilds, I've been thinking about those games to this day since I beat it last year

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

outer wilds was spectacular, i wish i could erase it from my brain and play it all over again

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

just checked. i fired it up for the first time this friday and i've already put in 18 hours. i don't think i've put hours like this into any game since high school

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

jesus WEP posted:

outer wilds was spectacular, i wish i could erase it from my brain and play it all over again

same but "return of the obra dinn"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

:same:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

same but "return of the obra dinn"
big same for that one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

breath of the wilds was spectacular, i wish i could erase it from my brain and play it all over again