Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I made wings. First time with my new air fryer.

Sauce was a big spoonful of gochujang, enough honey and rice vinegar to roughly double the volume and loosen it up, and a modest glug (a teaspoon or so for 10 wings) of Bravado Black Garlic Carolina Reaper. I added a heavy grind of black pepper and a shake of garlic powder to round it out. It was delicious and the heat levels were just right.

The skin didn't brown up quite as well as I like and it felt a bit "gritty." I used Kenji's blend of 1 tsp/lb each of baking powder, salt, and corn starch, which ended up feeling like a bit much, so that's probably why. It was still crisp and tasty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Discussion Quorum posted:

I made wings. First time with my new air fryer.

Sauce was a big spoonful of gochujang, enough honey and rice vinegar to roughly double the volume and loosen it up, and a modest glug (a teaspoon or so for 10 wings) of Bravado Black Garlic Carolina Reaper. I added a heavy grind of black pepper and a shake of garlic powder to round it out. It was delicious and the heat levels were just right.

The skin didn't brown up quite as well as I like and it felt a bit "gritty." I used Kenji's blend of 1 tsp/lb each of baking powder, salt, and corn starch, which ended up feeling like a bit much, so that's probably why. It was still crisp and tasty though.

Those look incredible.

I fermented habanero, carrot, garlic with the intention of turning it into hot sauce but just wasn't that good on its own. I used it as a marinade for wings. In the air fryer they turned out like a dry rub, crispy as hell and the soaked in flavor was incredible

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That sounds awesome.

I made wings again for the Superbowl. I sauced them Buffalo-style with Valentina Extra Hot. They were good but I was thinking about that gochujang the whole time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
So I got a wonderfully sized basement grown Bhut Jokokia Strain 2, and I ate it for dinner. I’ve been known to eat reapers on tacos and other bad ideas, but this thing acted in reverse. As in the heat started from my stomach and then decided to announce that it was there in my mouth. Clearly I need to spend more time with bhut jolokia sauces because this stuff is amazing and great.

Quite the reverse experience this one. I have 2 of the plants and they’ll be going outside for the summer and I’m cautiously optimistic that I’ll be having enough to make some killer sauce and powder.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What are some other good hot sauces that have a thick consistency like sriracha does? I end up putting sriracha on tons of stuff mostly because it won't drip off things like sandwiches or pizza.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

McCracAttack posted:

What are some other good hot sauces that have a thick consistency like sriracha does? I end up putting sriracha on tons of stuff mostly because it won't drip off things like sandwiches or pizza.

Any of the Heartbeat hot sauces. They even have similar bottles and it makes getting a consistent amount on there super easy.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Secret Aardvark is pretty thick and hella good

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'll second Secret Aardvark, and Yellow Bird makes good ones in sriracha style squeeze bottles. I can vouch for the ghost pepper (awesome on burgers, hot but not painfully so) and habanero varieties.

e: their actual sriracha variety is good too

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, yellow bird makes good stuff and the texture is about the same as sriracha.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Marie Sharp makes some hot sauces with pulp that might have the consistency you're looking for.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Tears Of The Sun is a nice birds eye/thai sauce from High River Sauces. It's a little more bright but it fits the bill for a 'racha. Puckerbutt makes a good reaper based 'racha type sauce but it's get your attention hot compared to the usual.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Any of the Heartbeat hot sauces. They even have similar bottles and it makes getting a consistent amount on there super easy.

I do like the Heartbeat sauces. But the ones I’ve had are much thinner than sriracha, more like a Crystal consistency. Still great, and I love using the Red Habanero on tons of stuff.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hellfire First Blood is thick, but not like Sriracha. Despite the edgelord name and very high heat, I was super happy with the flavor of it. Small number of ingredients, not that vinegary, really showcases the peppers with just a hint of cumin.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

If anyone's into making their own fermented hot sauce, habaneros and carrots was an awesome discovery at the end of last summer. Basically had too much of both and said gently caress it let's try it before they go off. Barely have any left in the fridge right as I'm starting the seeds for this year's peppers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yellowbird makes really lovely stuff and for me at least I can find it at the grocery or bodega without having to order it online, which is a big plus.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fantastic recommendations all around. Thanks so much.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m happy to have a good selection of yellowbird in my grocery store, though I don’t understand why they have it in the condiment section when there’s a dedicated hot sauce shelf an aisle over.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

got crystal hot sauce for the first time ever. drat its good

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Crystal on some really nicely fried chicken is peak hot sauce experience.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I did a ferment with carrots, pineapple, and habaneros that I added a poo poo load of ginger, white pepper, and garlic to when I blended. It is so amazing but I only made half a cup of it and I just ate half of it with more carrots.

You guys if you ferment, try that mix out. I don't know why it was so good but my goodness was it to die for.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mischief posted:

Crystal on some really nicely fried chicken is peak hot sauce experience.

Absolutely. I used to be able to find the Crystal extra hot, which had actual recognizable heat. The normal Crystal is just all flavor no heat. I still love it, but drat do I miss the hot.

I finally got around to buying a bottle of the Yellow Bird ghost pepper. It’s got a really nice strong, smoky ghost flavor but the heat is maybe one notch above sriracha. The heat also doesn’t act like any of the other super hots I’ve tried. Instead of the inexorably building heat I’m used to, all of the heat hits almost immediately, but disappears completely in seconds. I like it, but not sure I’d get it again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Edit: double post.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Decided to try a Yellow Bird sampler based on the recommendations last week.

Blue Agave Sriracha doesn't taste much like ol' rooster sauce sriracha. Much sweeter than I expected. Not sure if I like that. Might be good on something thai-adjacent though.

Serrano tastes the most like actual peppers. I think I like this one the best.

Habanero tastes nice for about a second but then the heat gets to be too much for me.

They're all nice and thick like I like and they were all different and new so I'm glad I tried them. Might try Secret Aardvark next once I whittle these down.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m happy to have a good selection of yellowbird in my grocery store, though I don’t understand why they have it in the condiment section when there’s a dedicated hot sauce shelf an aisle over.

I wonder if it's because most of them literally say "condiment" on the label.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I bought the Yellowbird stuff this week too because of the thread. The Habanero one tastes really good, but it's a bit mild for me (sorry McCracAttack, it's hot enough for everyone else in my house at least). I also managed to already eat 1/5th of it in about two days, so that's a repeat buy. The feedback on the sweet sriracha version is good to know and I may just need to skip it. They didn't have the Serrano at my store, but they did have Secret Aardvark on the shelf again. I find it very difficult to find sauces that are hot enough at the grocery store, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Not going to be much of a turn over on even stuff as low end hot like scotch bonnets. Habanero is the most medium they seem to go.

I'm going to need a mini fridge just for all my hot sauces one of these days. I also wish I could find Crystal Extra Hot, that would be my eat on everything sauce. Regular crystal needs to be supplemented.

Fake edit: the sriracha one might be really good on pizza.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have an extremely bad habit of eating a bottle of Scorpion pepper Tabasco in like a week and a half. Is there another sauce that hot that tastes good around? I'm getting bored and I've had a bad streak of buying terrible sauces.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

fizzymercury posted:

I have an extremely bad habit of eating a bottle of Scorpion pepper Tabasco in like a week and a half. Is there another sauce that hot that tastes good around? I'm getting bored and I've had a bad streak of buying terrible sauces.

this stuff tastes great (to me at least, i like black garlic) and it will knock you on your rear end if you aren't careful and go too hard with it.

Jhet posted:

I'm going to need a mini fridge just for all my hot sauces one of these days. I also wish I could find Crystal Extra Hot, that would be my eat on everything sauce. Regular crystal needs to be supplemented.

Fake edit: the sriracha one might be really good on pizza.

i have to mail order the extra hot and i live in Louisiana. at least the shipping isn't too bad. and yeah, pizza is primarily what i use that agave sriracha on. good companion to a big greasy slice of pepp.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

There are a ton of amazing sauces in the world. Many need to be ordered online. Chances are decent that unless you're finding something hyper-local, that someone in this thread has run across it before.

I've enjoyed the Karma and Torchbearer sauces I tried recently for another place to start. Depending on your tolerance they may or may not be super hot to you. Here's some websites to browse if you're so inclined.

https://heathotsauce.com/
https://heatonist.com/
https://www.dochotties.com/

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jhet posted:

The Habanero one tastes really good, but it's a bit mild for me (sorry McCracAttack, it's hot enough for everyone else in my house at least).

I do actually like hotter stuff. The problem is I've built up a negative association with what happens about 6 to 8 hours later.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

this stuff tastes great (to me at least, i like black garlic) and it will knock you on your rear end if you aren't careful and go too hard with it.

i have to mail order the extra hot and i live in Louisiana. at least the shipping isn't too bad. and yeah, pizza is primarily what i use that agave sriracha on. good companion to a big greasy slice of pepp.

Seconding this one, I had a bottle in the work fridge like a year ago and me and the other safety guy killed it in less than two weeks.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm a big fan of Karma and Bravado; Karma does some stuff that's pretty out there that I love, while Bravado is ... like, less complicated but really well executed and more pepper-forward. Never had a bad one from either of those, but some of the 7 Pot Primo stuff from Karma hurts too much for me to enjoy. Aardvark is great but even more eclectic.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

fizzymercury posted:

I'm not sure how hot the scorpion tabasco is, but sauces that are about as hot as the black garlic I really like are Fiya Fiya and the Dawnson's Sichuan Ghost Pepper one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carillon posted:

I'm not sure how hot the scorpion tabasco is, but sauces that are about as hot as the black garlic I really like are Fiya Fiya and the Dawnson's Sichuan Ghost Pepper one.

Fiya Fiya is insanely good. Get that one if you haven’t tried it and want something that’s very pepper-forward.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Carillon posted:

Scorpion tabasco is around 50K scoville to its habanero 7K and regular 2.5K.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Carillon posted:

Ooohhh, do you get much of the numbing from the peppercorns in that one? That would be my jam.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

On food yes! It's not the total buzzing you can get from very heavy sichuan food, but I've found it a nice note in it. It is spicy though, I'm not sure how it rates but definitely not something that's mild.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Ahh. I may try it anyway. I have a pretty decent tolerance to peppercorn so it may not even show up. That’s okay. It’ll still probably go in my next order.

It was much fun introducing the numbing sensation to my very meat and potatoes family. I’m pretty sure my mother wanted to send me to my room and it was many years since that would have worked. The looks on faces was amazing. It’s a flavor and sense that more people should experience as it’s delicious and mischievous.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Similarly, one of my favorite experiences is introducing it to my girlfriend for the first time. She looks at me quizzically at first and says I don't feel anything? Only to have her exclaim that someone turned her still water fizzy. It's a great, unique flavor and I love introducing people to it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
gonna have to try that peppercorn sauce, i am surprised to realize that i've never tried a hot sauce that used them before.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Yeah the dawson's szechuan ghost pepper sauce is great. There's a ton of good flavor in there, most notably the lemongrass and slight ginger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I bought the Bravado Crimson Special Reserve. It's alright, but there's a lot of vinegar so it is very watery and with the large opening you could easily add a fourth of the bottle to something by accident. It does not feel as good value as something like Hellfire First Blood. If it came in a dropper bottle like Tabasco it would make for a good replacement.