Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

kumba posted:

i am a member of 3 different teams environments at the moment and holy gently caress is swapping between them painful

need to reference a file in one tenant while on a call in another? gently caress you, open the other tenant in a browser

want to have access to stuff in all 3 tenants simultaneously? i hope you enjoy having one open in IE, one in chrome, and one in Teams itself!!!!!!

Wanna look at another Teams while on a call? Welp time to end the call, bye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

kumba posted:

i am a member of 3 different teams environments at the moment and holy gently caress is swapping between them painful

need to reference a file in one tenant while on a call in another? gently caress you, open the other tenant in a browser

want to have access to stuff in all 3 tenants simultaneously? i hope you enjoy having one open in IE, one in chrome, and one in Teams itself!!!!!!

i think firefox sandboxes inprivate windows. chrome and edge don't

brains
May 12, 2004

kumba posted:

im not a Teams User but could you not use firefox containers to smooth this out?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

yes and no, but only because teams doesn't play nice with firefox

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chrome profiles?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i would be surprised if i am even allowed to install firefox (lol), but that's a good idea

really i don't bounce back and forth that often so it's not a huge deal, i just wanted to bitch

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I've been at my current job for coming up to 2 months now, and in that time I've used bluejeans every now and then, slack every day, teams every day, zoom bi-weekly and skype every other day.

Its a wonder anyone can get in contact with anyone else at all here.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I have a question for the thread because I've noticed some people here are super knowledgeable about these things. I recently started signing my commits with a gpg key and noticed that something can go wrong (albeit very infrequently) in the signing process. For instance, signing two separate commits on the same day, in the same project, with the same dev env, using the same key can leave me looking at something like this:

code:
commit e7a6dd4d6e83bde6
gpg: Signature made Wed Jan 27 16:21:53 2021 CST
gpg:                using RSA key E64E81DERP7F759D
gpg: Good signature from "Herp Derp <herp@derp.com>" [ultimate]
gpg:                 aka "Herp <herp@herp.com>" [ultimate]
gpg:                 aka "Derp <derp@derp.com>" [ultimate]
Author: Herp Derp <herp@derp.com>
Date:   Wed Jan 27 16:21:52 2021 -0600

commit b910da38394de21a9
gpg: Signature made Wed Jan 27 12:08:05 2021 CST
gpg:                using RSA key E64E81DERP7F759D
gpg: BAD signature from "Herp Derp <herp@derp.com>" [ultimate]
Author: Herp Derp <herp@derp.com>
Date:   Wed Jan 27 12:08:05 2021 -0600
Has this happened to anyone before?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do you all remember when doing BYOD in particularly sensitive industries like finance or defense manufacturing was going to be the next big deal?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Imagine being a hardware engineer at this point, just throwing up your hands and screaming "gently caress, why do we even make anything interesting and useful!" Your life is a never ending stream of the most nitpicky possible attacks on your life's work outside of your management and your own sense of self worth
I mean, they sort of saddled their own horse, by focusing on performance to the exclusion of everything else, especially security, so I don't really feel TOO bad for them.
It sucks being called on your bullshit, but you either step up to apologize and improve, or you put your tail between your legs and try to ride out the storm.

xtal posted:

By definition, everything interesting or useful is a side channel.

I could see a fracture where there are CPUs intended for security and CPUs intended for performance and features. Gamers, for example, love to trade security for performance. You could also use insecure CPUs for servers as long as there is a secure CPU as a proxy.
That's already happened.
CHERI is an ISA extension built by people at Cambridge University in the UK (which is sponsored, in part, by the US government for possible use in electronic voting).
It started out life on MIPS as a FPGA softcore, but ARM Morello is a real-life implementation of it that's coming out supposedly some time next year, they're currently working on a 64-bit RISC-V version (ie. not some 32bit embedded RISC-V thing), and I don't imagine they'd say no to working on x86 if Intel or AMD came knocking.
They already run it as an internal CI for testing software using it, and there's regularly fixes that go into FreeBSD from CheriBSD.

As to your second point, every HPC cluster I know of disables all of the meltre mitigations, and I'm sure some Linux gamers are right now harping on about how it improves their performance immensely.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 8, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Potato Salad posted:

Do you all remember when doing BYOD in particularly sensitive industries like finance or defense manufacturing was going to be the next big deal?

The BYOD fad was hilarious to me. So many IT people pushing for it and then, I assume, promptly regretting it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

The BYOD fad was hilarious to me. So many IT people pushing for it and then, I assume, promptly regretting it
Maybe it turned out to be a bad idea all along? Nah, can't possibly be.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

byod was a combination of "i don't want to use this corporate standard issue piece of poo poo from 5 years ago" and management saying "wait you want to use your own money?" notably lacking is any sort of device management consideration

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"ok install Crowdstrike / FireEye on your personal machine.

"...no? ok here's a laptop"

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Lord of the Ring(s): Side Channel Attacks on the CPU On-Chip Ring Interconnect Are Practical. PoC.

Make rdtsc privileged, and I say that as someone that's spent a huge amount of time writing soft real-time code where it's been super useful.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Potato Salad posted:

"ok install Crowdstrike / FireEye on your personal machine.

"...no? ok here's a laptop"

*Pre-compromises VM for shits and giggles*

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean by this definition so is World of Warcraft

world of warcraft is better than zoom yes

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

yes and no, but only because teams doesn't play nice with firefox

fwiw teams has outright stopped working for me on firefox so electron bullshit it is for me

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Penisface posted:

fwiw teams has outright stopped working for me on firefox so electron bullshit it is for me

I have a feeling this is related to the new cookie protections Firefox introduced. It broke some Canadian bank websites SSO for me as well which is fantastic

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

there’s always only using teams for when HR sends an @channel about dog walking coupons and then using discord for all the real work

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's already happened.
CHERI is an ISA extension built by people at Cambridge University in the UK (which is sponsored, in part, by the US government for possible use in electronic voting).
It started out life on MIPS as a FPGA softcore, but ARM Morello is a real-life implementation of it that's coming out supposedly some time next year, they're currently working on a 64-bit RISC-V version (ie. not some 32bit embedded RISC-V thing), and I don't imagine they'd say no to working on x86 if Intel or AMD came knocking.
They already run it as an internal CI for testing software using it, and there's regularly fixes that go into FreeBSD from CheriBSD.

cheri is a very neat little research project that seems completely impractical to roll out to the real world, because of both the novel complexities of its basic model and its immense memory overheads (and that's before you even factor in the 67th bit that requires a total redesign of the memory subsystem). it's also not at all a cure-all, because it offers no protection against several major classes of exploit

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Acer Pilot posted:

I have a feeling this is related to the new cookie protections Firefox introduced. It broke some Canadian bank websites SSO for me as well which is fantastic

ill stay on v85 a little longer then

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus Christ, has every 9.5+ CVSS vmware problem in the last year been related to pre-auth execution vulns on their https engines for https apis?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I feel like "here's how to prop up https endpoints" should be a solved problem by now

I can understand that any api with tons of functions might be full of logic errors and whatever, but the https engine itself? Is this harder than I believe it to be?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Acer Pilot posted:

oh poo poo is that why my bank broke and I had to switch to safari all of a sudden

I like firefox’s willingness to break things in a good cause but I wish it was a little easier to tell what’s happened

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kumba posted:

plus there's orgs that don't invite your AAD account into their tenant for "security", they create a new account for you in an external domain and invite that.
of course Teams doesn't handle this at all

Trabisnikof posted:

there’s always only using teams for when HR sends an @channel about dog walking coupons and then using discord for all the real work

people are so loving bad about @tting the channel that they're posting the message into like that does anything

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
teams used to launch meetings with focus on the Join button, so you could click on the toaster notification or the Outlook "join online" button then just mash enter to join the meeting.

now the default focus is on the camera toggle lmao

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

my bitter bi rival posted:

world of warcraft is better than zoom yes

Teamspeak:
Seamlessly manages 40+ people working together without it turning into a clusterfuck most of the time for like 20 years.

Teams:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

Teamspeak:
Seamlessly manages 40+ people working together without it turning into a clusterfuck most of the time for like 20 years.

Teams:

you missed a zero. but it only worked if you started with CLEAR COMMS, JUMPJUMPJUMP, PRIMARY IS...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

teams used to launch meetings with focus on the Join button, so you could click on the toaster notification or the Outlook "join online" button then just mash enter to join the meeting.

now the default focus is on the camera toggle lmao

jfc

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Soricidus posted:

oh poo poo is that why my bank broke and I had to switch to safari all of a sudden

I like firefox’s willingness to break things in a good cause but I wish it was a little easier to tell what’s happened

duz posted:

ill stay on v85 a little longer then

I think it’s worth upgrading for security’s sake. I was able to get SSO working again by disabling the advanced protection for those sites, probably defeating the purpose though.

I only realized when my dad called me saying he couldn’t login to his bank. He called them and they started blaming Microsoft for upgrading Edge for some reason lol. They of course asked him to use Internet Explorer.

Glad he ignored them and called me instead.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm really curious if these dev places that apparently only code against IE have like an old unpatched XP machine laying around that they use just to be sure it doesn't work

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I'm really curious if these dev places that apparently only code against IE have like an old unpatched XP machine laying around that they use just to be sure it doesn't work

my account manager at my favourite bank told me that they’re not supposed to use anything but internet explorer. she had chrome installed but the links were all in ie and apparently didn’t work when she tried to open them in chrome. I think most of our banks in Canada also don’t have mfa. best case is sms or security questions.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

GitHub posted:

In extremely rare circumstances, a race condition in a backend request handling process could have misrouted a user’s session to the browser of another authenticated user, giving them the valid and authenticated session cookie for another user. It is important to note that this issue was not the result of compromised account passwords, SSH keys, or personal access tokens (PATs) and there is no evidence to suggest that this was the result of a compromise of any other GitHub systems. Instead, this issue was due to the rare and isolated improper handling of authenticated sessions. Further, this issue could not be intentionally triggered or directed by a malicious user.

The underlying bug existed on GitHub.com for a cumulative period of less than two weeks at various times between February 8, 2021 and March 5, 2021. Once the root cause was identified and a fix developed, we immediately patched GitHub.com on March 5. A second patch was deployed on March 8 to implement additional measures to further harden our application from this type of bug. There is no indication that other GitHub.com properties or products were affected by this issue, including GitHub Enterprise Server. We believe that this session misrouting occurred in fewer than 0.001% of authenticated sessions on GitHub.com.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
love how you can open teams and it doesn’t immediately default you to typing

or how you canuse : emoji : format but if it starts with s then welp

or the way you change mic settings. or you don’t.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
my favorite part of teams is having never used it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rjmccall posted:

cheri is a very neat little research project that seems completely impractical to roll out to the real world, because of both the novel complexities of its basic model and its immense memory overheads (and that's before you even factor in the 67th bit that requires a total redesign of the memory subsystem). it's also not at all a cure-all, because it offers no protection against several major classes of exploit
Nothing is a panacea, and I don't think I claimed it was. Nor do independent security analyses claim it to be one.
All I was trying to point out is that ARM Morello is proof that it's already happened with a real product that will be going into devices.

Sure, there's a considerable difference in terms of hardware, but in terms of software modifications they've had to do surprisingly little for what they get out of it (which isn't surprising, since that was one of the goals).
Some userland codebases which don't use FreeBSDs libc need patching too, but it's been done for postgres, webkit, and openssh already - so if anyone wants to use syscalls, they have plenty of examples for how to go about it, since those three software projects are bigger than FreeBSD.

I'm not sure what you call a complete redesign of the VM, but this isn't it:
code:
0       22      sys/vm/pmap.h
8       180     sys/vm/swap_pager.c
3       13      sys/vm/uma.h
84      66      sys/vm/uma_core.c
1       5       sys/vm/uma_int.h
7       13      sys/vm/vm.h
8       21      sys/vm/vm_extern.h
20      103     sys/vm/vm_fault.c
13      98      sys/vm/vm_glue.c
2       2       sys/vm/vm_init.c
20      25      sys/vm/vm_kern.c
71      329     sys/vm/vm_map.c
10      27      sys/vm/vm_map.h
1       1       sys/vm/vm_meter.c
89      640     sys/vm/vm_mmap.c
4       16      sys/vm/vm_object.c
3       33      sys/vm/vm_object.h
22      16      sys/vm/vm_page.c
3       0       sys/vm/vm_page.h
5       4       sys/vm/vm_pager.c
6       0       sys/vm/vm_pager.h
3       3       sys/vm/vm_unix.c
That's the output of git diff --numstat CheriBSD/master with every added and deleted line for sys/vm, which is the FreeBSD VM subsystem, while on the head of FreeBSDs tree (which has had a not-inconsiderable amount of VM changes over the past few years).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 9, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wild EEPROM posted:

love how you can open teams and it doesn’t immediately default you to typing

or how you canuse : emoji : format but if it starts with s then welp

or the way you change mic settings. or you don’t.

I love how if you type a backtick, paste something, then type another backtick, it *doesn't* create a code block properly

(people have been complaining about half-assed Markdown support for literal years now, and they still haven't improved it)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

Teamspeak:

Teams:

i want to know who decided that that feature was the most important thing they could have spent time working on.

half the integration with sharepoint they've got is just a more elaborate and worse way to implement trivial things that everything else does better. send two files with the same name to different people and you get an "are you sure you want to overwrite?" prompt on the second. turns out they upload all transferred files to a single gigantic sharepoint folder for your user and give the person you're sending files to write permission to the file. what the hell is this design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

just bring back comic chat and call it a day