Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Decided to try a Yellow Bird sampler based on the recommendations last week.

Blue Agave Sriracha doesn't taste much like ol' rooster sauce sriracha. Much sweeter than I expected. Not sure if I like that. Might be good on something thai-adjacent though.

Okay, I found something I like the blue agave sriracha on but y'all are gonna laugh. It's really good on peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

thotsky posted:

I bought the Bravado Crimson Special Reserve. It's alright, but there's a lot of vinegar so it is very watery and with the large opening you could easily add a fourth of the bottle to something by accident. It does not feel as good value as something like Hellfire First Blood. If it came in a dropper bottle like Tabasco it would make for a good replacement.

I have this too and it really does slop out. I've heard so many glowing things about Bravado but I felt a little underwhelmed by this. It's fine, I had it on some tacos and it was nice, but not really much to write home about? I'm willing to believe I just didn't buy their best sauce, and I mean, I do like it. I'll probably quite happily use up the rest of the bottle, I just don't know if I'll order another. Very very solid, just not a showstopper.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

How Wonderful! posted:

I'll probably quite happily use up the rest of the bottle, I just don't know if I'll order another. Very very solid, just not a showstopper.

yepyepyep

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

How Wonderful! posted:

I have this too and it really does slop out. I've heard so many glowing things about Bravado but I felt a little underwhelmed by this. It's fine, I had it on some tacos and it was nice, but not really much to write home about? I'm willing to believe I just didn't buy their best sauce, and I mean, I do like it. I'll probably quite happily use up the rest of the bottle, I just don't know if I'll order another. Very very solid, just not a showstopper.

The bravado sauces people go nuts for are the ones they do that are heavy on other flavors, like the miso or black garlic one. That one looks to just be a vinegar hot sauce. I’m sure it’s good for what it is but it’s not really what people are talking about when they’re talking about bravado’s sauces.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, maybe I'll try the black garlic one next. I have way too many 30% full bottles of this and that taking up space so I'm trying to slow down on blind buying stuff for a little while.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

Okay, I found something I like the blue agave sriracha on but y'all are gonna laugh. It's really good on peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

This is why God has turned his back on us.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

I do that with Bravado Blueberry Ghost Pepper but I never thought to try the Yellowbird. Good idea! I haven't found much I like it on but that sounds delicious.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mischief posted:

This is why God has turned his back on us.

Good. I don't want that pervert watching me eat anyway.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Got a heatonist order with a bunch of thread recommendations yesterday:

The Fiya Fiya and the szechuan ghost pepper are real standouts, hotter than the others and delicious. The citrusy notes, especially, really make the szechuan sauce awesome. The black garlic is tasty with eggs and polenta, and the the mushroom habanero went really well a frittata I made yesterday.

The Detroit bourbon habanero is also quite nice, again with frittata. Thumbs up all around.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

a foolish pianist posted:

The Fiya Fiya and the szechuan ghost pepper are real standouts, hotter than the others and delicious. The citrusy notes, especially, really make the szechuan sauce awesome. The black garlic is tasty with eggs and polenta, and the the mushroom habanero went really well a frittata I made yesterday.

The Detroit bourbon habanero is also quite nice, again with frittata. Thumbs up all around.

Awesome! Great haul and I'm glad they hit the spot for you.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Heatonist is the best. I was on their monthly list for forever until I just eventually couldn't keep up and had to pause the subscription.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ever just finish eating but you still want more of the hot sauce you were having so you just keep dabbing a little bit on the back your hand and slurping it off?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I pour it into a spoon but yes, all the time. I had to stop drinking the black garlic Bravado because it got too expensive.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fizzymercury posted:

I pour it into a spoon but yes, all the time. I had to stop drinking the black garlic Bravado because it got too expensive.

Yes but you're also the guy who drank mercury so I'm gonna need some further input.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
1 part worcestershire sauce 1 part crystal hot sauce, shot glass, knock it back. :guinness:

and yeah, i wish that black garlic stuff was a little less pricey. tastier than mercury and won't give you nerve damage.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
That's like shooting the lovely half of a bloody mary.

I am concerned.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My group’s favored bar in college did pickle juice+vodka shots and bartenders would add a good glug of Tabasco if you asked. That little bit of heat really made the shot.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Quiet Feet posted:

Yes but you're also the guy who drank mercury so I'm gonna need some further input.
Okay maybe I am the woman that drank mercury. And maybe it damaged my sense of taste. But if drinking hot sauce was as bad for me as drinking mercury I'd still really want to do it every single night. I cannot say the same for the liquid metal.

uber_stoat posted:

1 part worcestershire sauce 1 part crystal hot sauce, shot glass, knock it back. :guinness:

and yeah, i wish that black garlic stuff was a little less pricey. tastier than mercury and won't give you nerve damage.
I do this all the time. I have a bottle of sippin' worcestershire. It's also really nice in a raw egg.

Okay fine maybe people shouldn't trust me.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Some reviews after having these for a while:

Black Garlic Reaper: This stuff remains awesome, and it's a bit milder than the Heatonist #1 or the Fiya Fiya, so it's a great general go-to sauce.

Fiya Fiya: Super delicious, but kinda takes over the flavor of whatever you add it to. It's delicious, of course, but it's a real commitment to put it on something.

Heatonist Sichuan Ghost Pepper: This stuff is super hot, and also really delicious. I love the citrus and ginger. There's not quite enough sichuan pepper. My major complaint is that it's way too thick. It needs to either be thinner or come in a wide-mouth container with a little spoon or something. Great sauce, too hard to get to.

Detroit Bourbon Habanero: Still good, good flavor, good consistency.

Cremini Habanero: Weird, but goes well with anything you want a bit more mushroom flavor with. Like the Sichuan, it's really thick and hard to get out of the bottle. I guess that's a common issue with Dawson's sauces?

Anyway, I'm definitely buying more of the black garlic (I'm already halfway through my second bottle) and the bourbon habanero, and probably the fiya fiya. The Dawson's are tasty, but not enough to get again, I don't think.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Heatonist Sichuan Ghost Pepper: This stuff is super hot, and also really delicious. I love the citrus and ginger. There's not quite enough sichuan pepper. My major complaint is that it's way too thick. It needs to either be thinner or come in a wide-mouth container with a little spoon or something. Great sauce, too hard to get to.

I agree completely in regards to this sauce.

The opposite is true with the garlic reaper sauce from torchbearer. That stuff is insanely hot compared to all the others and it's so runny that it's impossible to get just a bit out of the wide mouth bottle without flooding your food in carolina reaper mace. They need some sort of small squeeze bottle like sriracha that you can squeeze out a tiny drop or a thin line of it.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

i just dunk crackers in the hot sauce and thought that was a bit weird :stonklol:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The Poirier sauce is too good to sleep on. Wife insists we keep multiple bottles in stock. It's basically a souped-up Crystal in terms of thickness, heat, and flavor with just enough vinegar to give it tang. Probably my favorite unexpected find on Heatonist to date in a year of subscribing. Evergreen sauce.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
All the Dawson's stuff is super thick mash/whole pepper type consistency. A lot of the whole pepper super hot sauces seem to trend towards that type of consistency. Just look at the trouble Last Dab sauces have given guests lately.

I'm kind of taking my vote back on the Poirier sauce. I might need to give it another shake but I shared it with friends on some nice wings the other weekend and they all agreed that it had too much hab/aluminum flavor. It's nice and bright and vinegar forward but it does kinda poo poo the bed with a raw hab finish in my opinion. Still a good hot sauce and the Heartbeat bottle should be the default for everything ever from this point forward.

I had to pause my Heatonist subscription a few months ago. It's a great idea and super cool to help smaller growers/sauce makers but it's hard to keep up with 4 woobies a month. My little hot sauce fridge has no more room and there is still probably a dozen sauces on top of it I haven't tried.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mischief posted:

I had to pause my Heatonist subscription a few months ago. It's a great idea and super cool to help smaller growers/sauce makers but it's hard to keep up with 4 woobies a month. My little hot sauce fridge has no more room and there is still probably a dozen sauces on top of it I haven't tried.

yeah, it's important to know when to reign it in. i have so much stuff in the stockpile now i'm having to force myself to stop adding to it. not a bad problem to have i guess.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I paused last month and likely will be again after this one. You can always catch up on the back catalog. I can't remember the last time I saw a true exclusive for subscribers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I ordered a bottle of the new bravado thing-- ancho masala scorpion-reaper-- because why not, I have a lot of friends who really love their black garlic sauce and I wound up becoming pretty fond of their crimson special reserve. I was really tempted by the aka miso sauce too but I have too many half-full bottles of stuff sitting around and I'm moving at the end of May and don't really need more stuff to worry about having on hand.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The aka miso is a bit overpowering. I use it on stuff I would otherwise not want to taste, like bad pizza.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My grocery story is in Minnesota, and despite some very good hot sauces being made in MN (shout out Cry Baby Craig's), the stores don't stock a big selection of different sauces. Ketchup being spicy up here is a running joke.

On the other hand, I guess Lola's is a Shark Tank product, so it found its way on the shelves. Tried their Ghost Pepper last week and liked it so much I finished it. Very mild heat but very tasty.

I got a new bottle of Carolina Reaper yesterday, which is similar in heat and flavor to El Yucateco habanero, so I'm not sure if it's worth the extra couple bucks, but it's good on fried chicken.

The disparity in heat between Ghost Pepper and Carolina Reaper is kind of wonky though, I'd be really confused if I expected them to be similar, I'm not sure there any label indication other than having a different pepper name (which obviously means nothing).

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I'll also recommend steering clear of the miso sauce. It is incredibly salty/strong. Even just a drop in homemade ramen seemed excessive to me.

Both of their seasoning mixes are extremely highly recommended.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Don't know where you are in MN, but if you're in the metro or visiting hit up Galaxy Foods in Richfield

https://i.imgur.com/mI2WeNg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XQhKFzl.jpg

Matouk's scorpion and a bunch of others, Pickapeppa, a whole bunch of Scotch Bonnet and Habenero sauces, and a homemade sauce. Unripe scotch bonnets in the freezer at a decent price.

Devi Style & West Indian Grocery is nearby and has some sauces as well but I have been there yet.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sweet, thanks for the tip!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://smallaxepeppers.com/product/detroit-hot-sauce/

Enjoyed this recently---one of those where a drop or so will do you quite possibly(Well, 9 slices of pizza = 9 drops thus far), but the flavour seems to be at the forefront and the root cause behind it is surely a good one.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Before I freeze them, I core jalapenos just a little bit. But not as severely as you would a bell pepper. Cut like 3 or 4 slanted 1 cm deep cuts where the stem attached and scoop out. Does that make sense? Feel like that area is more vegetal, less flavor and heat.

For making sauce later on.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Comb Your Beard posted:

Before I freeze them, I core jalapenos just a little bit. But not as severely as you would a bell pepper. Cut like 3 or 4 slanted 1 cm deep cuts where the stem attached and scoop out. Does that make sense? Feel like that area is more vegetal, less flavor and heat.

Sure, but if you're freezing them they're easier to core while they defrost a little bit. You can just kind of pull the stem and most of the seeds out.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

The seeds and the white part of peppers contain the majority of capsaicin. The flavor is a a little more bitter but if you're looking for heat don't remove it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

kazr posted:

The seeds and the white part of peppers contain the majority of capsaicin. The flavor is a a little more bitter but if you're looking for heat don't remove it

The seeds don't produce (or hold) any capsaicin. It's in the white bits, the membrane, and to a much lesser extent, the flesh.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For sauce I keep it all. Vitamix does the work and you can throw bell or something not pepper if you just want more mild then your pepper selection. Just be cautious about too much onion.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sun bleached

AWAKEN MY LACTO COLONY AWAKEN

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

Sun bleached

AWAKEN MY LACTO COLONY AWAKEN

:worship::worship::worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This is likely going to be a very imbalanced sauce as it's a straight garden haul.

Jedi jalapenos, shishito, 7pot scorpion, paper lantern habs, and the dried cayennes from last year, plus one or two others I probably forgot

Or it will be completely amazing and unrepeatable.