Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
His low social media engagement rates are so incredible to me still. Back before I bailed off twitter for it being a hellsite, I got more notes for shitposts than Mookie has gotten for his comic. I have friends who put up amateur hobby art who get more attention than ~established professional Mookie~ is getting. How is he not discouraged, at this point, to be this low this long into his career?? How is he emboldened? How on earth is he PROUD of getting 4 likes on twitter for something that he traced????

I've read some very bad, meandering, stream-of-consciousness fanfiction for atrocity tourism's sake, but this honestly is yes taking the cake for one of the dullest things I've ever read? There's SO many pages, and things happen on them, but nothing of meaningful significance ever goes down. They take a bath--what does that mean as a character moment for them? What plot beat does it set off? What emotion or catharsis or anything comes from it?

Well, he was stinky, and now he's not stinky. And they have new clothes, so he can draw them in new clothes. Also Snout got to be a good softboy and help childbridemomwifecorpsegirl with her hair.

In an actual story, these things would be here for... some reason? There'd be some part of their personal plot they'd be advancing, there'd be some significance to it, even if it was just breathing room after a bunch of action. There haven't even been jokes, though. There haven't been meaningful plot dumps--everything they said in the exposition pages was... so what??

I so desperately WANT to touch the poop. I want to know why he thinks this is okay. Does he really just want an excuse to practice art, trace poo poo, and this gives him a theme to work around? Does he know what he's doing? I want to save him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
He doesn't care what other people think so the low engagement doesn't bother him. He's drawing it purely for himself. I think it's been brought up before that this was supposed to be a Patreon or Kickstarter goal or something and he didn't reach it and he's still doing it anyway.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Remember that self portrait he drew of himself being touched by a standing ovation that some comic panel apparently gave him one day?

His ego is probably still able to run off the fumes of that moment.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

He doesn't care what other people think so the low engagement doesn't bother him. He's drawing it purely for himself.
He does care, actually:

Amusingly his new method has had no effect and his engagement is about the same.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think it's been brought up before that this was supposed to be a Patreon or Kickstarter goal or something and he didn't reach it and he's still doing it anyway.

Yeah it was a Patreon stretch goal that wasn't met, and he went ahead with it anyway. He's changed his Patreon since then though, so I don't have the evidence.

FlocksOfMice posted:

I so desperately WANT to touch the poop. I want to know why he thinks this is okay. Does he really just want an excuse to practice art, trace poo poo, and this gives him a theme to work around? Does he know what he's doing? I want to save him

All you'll do is get in a cringy slapfight and nothing will change.

He doesn't know what he's doing but he has no interest in learning or putting in the effort. Trying to tell him that will just cause him to be sad and then do a vaguetweet about not engaging with haters.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 8, 2021

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I know the Deaf tag has been brought up to death but it loving sends me every time. I don't even have the words for it but it is such an indictment of his failure to tell a convincing story and convey important character traits. There just HAD to be a better way to show Snout is deaf and just ...doesn't

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
In a way, it's impressive that Mookie's been doing this for nearly twenty years and hasn't even managed to accidentally improve. I honestly don't know how that could happen.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I seem to remember there being a time in the original comic that the art was beginning to change... And then it regressed back to the staggering mediocrity it is now.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I remember one single panel of Dominic he drew that was much better than anything else he'd drawn, and he only used it for that one panel.

Then in the final arc of the strip he drew that panel again (except I think it was actually a little worse the second time) as a callback.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thin I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I could have sworn in the old threads someone once posted some of Mookie's personal art and it was, while not incredible or anything, leagues better than DD and certainly not bad. But between his personal spank bank stuff he's been posting the last two years and the stuff he did for Starpower, yeah, I'm assuming I just hallucinated that or something because it does seem like this dreck really is the best he's capable of doing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's pretty clear to me that if you see a drawing that's suddenly better than his normal art, he likely traced it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The little goblin waiter is also wearing skin tight superhero spandex, for some reason...?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's funny cause nothing about Arudak came off like he has a personal chef but one just spawned from the void to help Mookie phone in this sub-Hannah Barbera garbage.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Why does pulling his tail cause him to bend backwards, not forwards?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Floors? Why would we have floors. You'll have this endless white void, expanding infinitely downwards and you'll like it.

Look, I know it's pointless to nitpick over details of the art in this comic when there are so many worse things about it to complain about. But I have zero sense of where anything in this building is or how it's laid out. The obvious point is that he's never even thought about that.

I'm oddly put in mind of Howl's Moving Castle, a bizarre and fantastical moving building with a degree of magical geometry. And yet, somehow the competent artists who made that film managed to always make it clear to the viewer how the structure is laid out.

In conclusion, gently caress you Mookie.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why is the liquid in the carafe at a 45° angle?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Why is the liquid in the carafe at a 45° angle?

Heh, I just noticed, on the last page he drew the lip of the carafe at an angle and the liquid without an angle. On this page, he reversed them. That's probably what happens when you're knocking 3 pages out as fast as possible on a Sunday afternoon to justify your Patreon income.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I like how the goblin/dwarf/goblarf/whatever character is standing by his left foot, obviously pulling his tail to the left, and Snout decides to turn right.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
The hairy feet + tusks lead me to believe this character is supposed to be a half-halfing, half-orc.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Heh, I just noticed, on the last page he drew the lip of the carafe at an angle and the liquid without an angle. On this page, he reversed them. That's probably what happens when you're knocking 3 pages out as fast as possible on a Sunday afternoon to justify your Patreon income.

This killed me when I saw it - I barely engage my brain looking at these pages, for self-preservation. It's frankly unbelievable, how can he manage to forget that water sits horizontal?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It also totally changes position on the table when the perspective shifts. Hell, all the food shifts around.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Odds on this character getting a name in the comic?

(Being named in the Twitter feed doesn't count)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SimonChris posted:

Why does pulling his tail cause him to bend backwards, not forwards?

Eh, in truth, I think if someone pulled at... say a belt that was around my waist I would lean backwards, if not bend backwards.

But then again, I am a very nervous person, so...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I hate that he keeps drawing that hosed up tail and even more so that it's waggling like a dogs. I love dogs, I hate this idiot.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I love that it migrates all over his back.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

I hate that he keeps drawing that hosed up tail and even more so that it's waggling like a dogs. I love dogs, I hate this idiot.

Fans on twitter find the wagging tail cute so buckle up

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I hate those idiots too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The little goblin waiter is also wearing skin tight superhero spandex, for some reason...?
Good lord, reading a sign is now something that takes multiple days. As if reading a sign wasn't already the quintessential Legacy of D experience, motherfucker had to figure out some way of slowing that poo poo down even more.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I like that sign writing is still a primitive art and it's mostly just dry erase board with roommate notes written on it in big letters.

Does Mookie think he's Tolkein with his orc conlang

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

Eh, in truth, I think if someone pulled at... say a belt that was around my waist I would lean backwards, if not bend backwards.

But then again, I am a very nervous person, so...

If you were standing still, yeah, you might lean backwards.

If you were walking quickly however, you would definitely bend forwards due to momentum.

Mookie doesn't understand momentum, because he is a hack.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Let's be fair, if this comic has shown anything it's that Mookie is an expert at inertia.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Dabir posted:

I would rank some of Mark Millar's stuff as worse. Someone on here did a read-through of The Unfunnies, surely nothing can top that.

While "The Unfunnies" is deeply terrible, no one should read it, and I think it caused Millar's wife to leave him, nowhere in the comic do Millar or any of the characters argue that all the child rape the characters are doing is good actually and was 100% necessary to save the victims' lives, so I think Mookie rather handily edges him out in that regard.

What is this Looney Tunes poo poo in the latest comic? There's just never going to be any sense of urgency about anything is there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because all women are objects that exist to make Mookie horny.

maltesh posted:

Odds on this character getting a name in the comic?

(Being named in the Twitter feed doesn't count)
I'll give that a very generous 0% (only because I can't go negative, I think it's unlikely she'll get a name on Twitter/Patreon either)

Invisible Clergy posted:

What is this Looney Tunes poo poo in the latest comic? There's just never going to be any sense of urgency about anything is there.
You can't build a sense of urgency without any stakes and right now the only stakes in this comic are still: "Maybe they won't have their idle curiosity about Dominic Deegan's last days sated?"

Snout lacking any sense of self preservation and walking right into Palmstrike Mookie's hand isn't actually proof that the Redditor and Slappy McGee are actively trying to stop them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 10, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

While "The Unfunnies" is deeply terrible, no one should read it, and I think it caused Millar's wife to leave him, nowhere in the comic do Millar or any of the characters argue that all the child rape the characters are doing is good actually and was 100% necessary to save the victims' lives, so I think Mookie rather handily edges him out in that regard.

True, but arguably Millar himself is textually the one causing all of it - the real world version of the villain is just a photo of himself. In DD, it's only inferred that all of the protagonists are Mookie.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
That's true. Whichever one you rank as worse, the other is a very close second.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because all women are objects that exist to make Mookie horny.

I'll give that a very generous 0% (only because I can't go negative, I think it's unlikely she'll get a name on Twitter/Patreon either)

You can't build a sense of urgency without any stakes and right now the only stakes in this comic are still: "Maybe they won't have their idle curiosity about Dominic Deegan's last days sated?"

Snout lacking any sense of self preservation and walking right into Palmstrike Mookie's hand isn't actually proof that the Redditor and Slappy McGee are actively trying to stop them.
It's just so weird that there's no "hey where have you been, are you all right after fighting boobs and mullet," we're just immediately onto stealing pies from windowsills.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

If you were standing still, yeah, you might lean backwards.

If you were walking quickly however, you would definitely bend forwards due to momentum.

Mookie doesn't understand momentum, because he is a hack.

Oh yeah.

Stupid, non-functional brain.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

TheHan posted:

It's funny cause nothing about Arudak came off like he has a personal chef but one just spawned from the void to help Mookie phone in this sub-Hannah Barbera garbage.

That's not even the weird part.

The weird part is, who on earth has an instructional sign posted in their dining room? I'm assuming that this is a 'wash your hands' sign or something, despite them just coming from a fresh bath. So...why on earth would you have something like that in your home?

In effect, we've somehow transitioned to a restaurant.

In fact, let's break down the movements in the the last few pages...

*Snout and corpsey take a bath together. They are brought there by Arundak, but bathe alone.

*They step through a doorway, still naked so presumably this room is adjacent to the bathing room.

*Snout fixes corpsey's hair and then, without ever being informed by a third party, he reaches into a...closet? Cubbies? Vague Vertical Shape Made of Wood? and retrieves clothes that he apparently knows are meant for them.

*The two get dressed, with no indication that they've left the room.

*There are hands on snout's chest and he has his deaf patch on. Which presumably means that someone has spent a good 15-30 minutes stitching a patch onto this outfit while snout is still wearing it. Again, no indication that they have moved other than implied time.

*The hands apparently belonged to Ink Witch, who we haven't seen since they left the study. So, at some point she appeared and...I guess she stitched the patch on?

*Snout then gets pulled away by delicious smells and walks slightly to his left and there is...a table full of food. Apparently adjacent to whatever room where the ink witch decided to do needlework?

*And for an added bit of weirdness, the table is free-standing, with no chairs. So it's more like a buffet table for serving yourself. Complete with a waiter and an instructional sign on ettiquite.

I know comics often have to leave a lot of stuff to implication, but this is disjointed as hell.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

well, ink witch only put 4 lovely tacking stitches on the patch, so to be fair that would only take a minute (and not be very secure)
but he's definitely be getting jabbed with the needle each time
yeah it does feel like mookie's not sewn anything before. along with all the other sewing moments in this comic

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Someone edit the sign to just say "ilka tuk tak" or whatever the dumb orcish pseudo-swear was tia.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
is the deaf tag there just in case new readers come in and get confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

oriongates posted:

That's not even the weird part.

The weird part is, who on earth has an instructional sign posted in their dining room? I'm assuming that this is a 'wash your hands' sign or something, despite them just coming from a fresh bath. So...why on earth would you have something like that in your home?

In effect, we've somehow transitioned to a restaurant.

it's going to turn out to be some kind of poly commune thing; that's the sort of idea that mookie likes but cannot help make it run poorly by any human standard