Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

One of the best things about sports is that it takes people who have a deep specialty in their field but don't have any particular training in media management, and puts them on a podium and makes them talk. This gives us fantastic quotes that live on. Post your best sports quotes! Links encouraged but not required.

Starter pack:

Earl Weaver posted:

"Team speed? For Christ sake. You get loving god dammed little fleas on the loving bases, getting picked off trying to steal, getting thrown out, taking runs away from you. You get them big cock suckers that can hit the loving ball out of the ball park, and you can't make any god damned mistakes."

The only honest post-game answer ever:
https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/919716050077437953

:3: Vin
https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1243611262732210176

The GOAT of Quotes
https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1209505762843623425

Ichiro
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/971492737722802177

(not a quote, but nowhere else to share it:)
https://twitter.com/DonZemmer/status/1144463706790584325

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Lee Elia rant

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Joe kinnears first press conference as Newcastle manager. That's first press conference as in he'd been in the job less than a week iirc:

quote:

JK Which one is Simon Bird [Daily Mirror's north-east football writer]?

SB Me.

JK You're a oval office.

SB Thank you.

JK Which one is Hickman [Niall, football writer for the Express]? You are out of order. Absolutely loving out of order. If you do it again, I am telling you you can gently caress off and go to another ground. I will not come and stand for that loving crap. No loving way, lies. gently caress, you're saying I turned up and they [Newcastle's players] hosed off.

SB No Joe, have you read it, it doesn't actually say that. Have you read it?

JK I've loving read it, I've read it.

SB It doesn't say that. Have you read it?

JK You are trying to loving undermine my position already.

SB Have you read it, it doesn't say that. I knew you knew they were having a day off.

JK gently caress off. gently caress off. It's your last loving chance.

SB You read the copy? It doesn't say that you didn't know.

JK What about the headline, you think that's a good headline?

SB I didn't write the headline, you read the copy.

JK You are negative bastards, the pair of you.

SB So if I get a new job next week would I take the first day off? No I wouldn't. If I get a new job should I call my boss and tell him I am taking the first day off?

JK It is none of your loving business. What the gently caress are you going to do? You ain't got the balls to be a loving manager. loving day off. Do I want your opinion. Do I have to listen to you?

SB No, you can listen to who you want.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Classics:

Chuck LaMar, Rays GM posted:

The only thing that keeps this organization from being recognized as one of the finest in baseball is wins and losses at the major league level

Pat Williams, Orlando Magic GM posted:

We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play.

Jaques Planke posted:

Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Coach John McKay had a few while dealing with the lovely, lovely 1970's Buccaneers:

quote:

Reporter: What went wrong with the defense?

McKay: Well, we didn't block. But we made up for that by not tackling.

quote:

R: What's it like in the professional ranks, coach? Anything special?

M: No I was beat 51–0 in the college ranks. It's the same thing.

quote:

R: What do you think of your offense's execution tonight?

M: I'm in favor of it.

quote:

(mic'd on the sidelines) Well, we can't stop a pass or a run. Otherwise, we're in great shape!

quote:

(after the Buc's first win in 27 games) Hey, 3 or 4 plane crashes & we're in the playoffs!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

McKay and Abe Lemons were pretty good.

ESPN's obituary on McKay had a bunch of good ones, including:

quote:

"It was about three-to-one that I was not an SOB. But there were a lot of ones." --on fan mail he received as Tampa Bay coach

quote:

"If a contest had 97 prizes, the 98th would be a trip to Green Bay."

Lemons, who most notably coached basketball at Texas:

quote:

Doctors bury their mistakes, but mine are still on scholarship.

On his star player, who scored a single point

quote:

"You scored one point more than a dead man."

Muhammad Ali

quote:

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Found a great one I thought was Carl Everett but that's something else about dinosaurs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

quote:

Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”