Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I do not ever recommend listing to Bischoffs podcast with Conrad (83 Weeks). That being said the Collision in Korea episode was really engaging to listen to. I find the whole show and idea of the show so fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Hey!
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1318216067739779073
Also: HEY!
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1318255416543989761
Buckle up!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cool.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fourteen episodes! :woop:

...Fourteen episodes :smith:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Mooseontheloose posted:

As a casual fan of wrestling a few thoughts:

The steroid trial would be interesting.
The Muhammad Hassan character and push.
The whole pedo ring that was being run that I just say in the NY64 tourney.

Hassan is a high school principal in my county and his co worker was drinking in my bar. He kinda knew a little of the story of his career in wwe. He seemed pretty surprised when I was giving him the detailed story of his character and how interesting it was, and how racist and stupid the loudest wrestling fans are. Especially the timeline of his last couple weeks involving taping the matyr segment, the London bombing the next day and choosing to air it anyways 2 days later.

He said he was a real nice guy to work with.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Congrats Bix, that's a great project to be a part of even with the disturbing content you have to bring forward. Were you a part of the previous seasons?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

They should cover the ring boy scandal/Mel Phillips.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Orange Carlisle posted:

Congrats Bix, that's a great project to be a part of even with the disturbing content you have to bring forward. Were you a part of the previous seasons?
Past sending them some stuff for the Herb Abrams episode (that's why I got thanked in the credits), no. Evan and I had been chatting a lot more often as S2 went on, but we've known each other going back to before S1 premiered. He even did a preview screening at a tiny boutique movie theater in Williamsburg that he invited me to.

(Also, with the name: While Evan, Jason, and company recognize that they're in a unique position to tell more sensitive stories, the show name was a late suggestion by Evan's mom during season 1, and the subject matter isn't *entirely* married to it.)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Topics for season 3 announced...

https://www.sescoops.com/2021/03/jim-ross-reveals-plane-ride-from-hell-dark-side-of-the-ring-episode/

Brian Pillman (Season Premiere)
FMW (Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling)
XPW (Xtreme Pro Wrestling)
Nick Gage
WCW/NJPW Collision In Korea 1995
The Smith Family (Grizzly Smith, Sam Houston, Rockin’ Robin & Jake “The Snake” Roberts)
Ion Croitoru (a.k.a. Bruiser Bedlam, Johnny K-9)
Chris Kanyon
The Plane Ride From Hell

The Plane Ride from Hell should be hilarious. I remember when that story broke. Everyone was talking about it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I recognize a name or two but I don't think I know anything about any of those topics. Excited to go in blind and watch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

Macrame_God posted:

The Plane Ride from Hell should be hilarious. I remember when that story broke. Everyone was talking about it.

I don’t know about hilarious, a bunch of women were sexually assaulted during it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Smith family one is gonna be rough.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don’t know about hilarious, a bunch of women were sexually assaulted during it.

Oh, that's right. I was remembering everyone getting drunk and acting like jackasses. Forgot about that part. :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there a checklist of everything?

- Vince and Kurt wrestling, and Vince telling the stewardess the pilot could gently caress off
- Brock and Perfect wrestling and slamming into the door
- Goldust drunkenly serenading Terri
- Goldust informing stewardess "You and I are gonna gently caress."
- Flair, in his robe, flashing the stewardesses and ended up cornering them and forcing them to grab his junk
- JBL/Hayes confrontation where JBL was all bloody
- Hayes got drunk, confused the bathroom with Linda McMahon, and had his ponytail cut by Waltman
- Scott Hall drank himself unconscious and had to be wheeled off the plane

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Red posted:

- Vince and Kurt wrestling, and Vince telling the stewardess the pilot could gently caress off
- Flair, in his robe, flashing the stewardesses and ended up cornering them and forcing them to grab his junk
- Hayes got drunk, confused the bathroom with Linda McMahon, and had his ponytail cut by Waltman

Scott really coming out looking better than anyone else here, really.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

The ponytail got taped to a wall at the next taping too, I think?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Who was even penalised for it, just Hall and Perfect? Did Flair's antics have anything to do with him being removed as the top heel authority figure on Raw, or was that going to happen anyway?

Looking forward to the new season, though yeah, the Smith episode is going to be absolute misery.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Didn’t x-pac do some making GBS threads during the plane ride from hell?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Who was even penalised for it, just Hall and Perfect? Did Flair's antics have anything to do with him being removed as the top heel authority figure on Raw, or was that going to happen anyway?

Looking forward to the new season, though yeah, the Smith episode is going to be absolute misery.

I skipped the Benoit episode, I'll probably skip the Smith one

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Benoit ep did get into some of the awful details of the crime scene but it was mostly about Benoit's bizarre behavior leading up to that point. I mean, people can do some weird things while mourning, but this guy was... quite a bit more attached to Eddie than I think anybody realized. And brain damaged, of course.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I can't wait for the XPW episode.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Kanyon episode's gonna really bum me out, I expect

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

The Benoit ep did get into some of the awful details of the crime scene but it was mostly about Benoit's bizarre behavior leading up to that point. I mean, people can do some weird things while mourning, but this guy was... quite a bit more attached to Eddie than I think anybody realized. And brain damaged, of course.
So attached to Eddy that I saw *numerous viewers remarking that their wives and girlfriends were convinced that Chris and Eddy were secretly a couple*. I wouldn't go that far, myself, but I get where they're coming from in light of some of the new details, particularly bawling in Eddy and Vickie's bed hugging Eddy's pillow.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

davidbix posted:

So attached to Eddy that I saw *numerous viewers remarking that their wives and girlfriends were convinced that Chris and Eddy were secretly a couple*. I wouldn't go that far, myself, but I get where they're coming from in light of some of the new details, particularly bawling in Eddy and Vickie's bed hugging Eddy's pillow.

I've just assumed they considered each other family/brothers after working together and traveling together for so long.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I believe that was all that came from it. Flair didn’t really go anywhere, I believe Evolution started shortly afterward. And at least two flight attendants sued and settled out of court for millions.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Really looking forward to the plane ride from hell

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Eddy and Benoit spent what 5 or 6 days out of the week together? For years on end? They were like brothers. They were both dealing with a lot of pain and dark personal poo poo, trying to support each other, etc.

So yeah, I can see why Benoit would be so distraught. Plus the brain damage

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Fellas,is it gay to mourn your dead friend?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It might be pretty gay to keep a diary and Livejournal about your dead friend every day

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He may not have been sexually attracted to Eddie but he definitely loved him as more than just a friend from the descriptions of his behavior. How much of that is anything real and how much of it was his brain being Swiss cheese and causing him to act erratically is the more pertinent question than if he wanted to give Eddie a kiss or whatever, imo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pinche Rudo posted:

Eddy and Benoit spent what 5 or 6 days out of the week together? For years on end? They were like brothers. They were both dealing with a lot of pain and dark personal poo poo, trying to support each other, etc.

So yeah, I can see why Benoit would be so distraught. Plus the brain damage

The understanding of CTE is still developing, but it's essentially dementia and behavioral/mood issues; strong emotional reactions would be exaggerated by CTE. Grief, paranoia, anger, etc. - they'd all go through the roof. Wasn't Benoit supposed to put over Punk for the show he missed? He was probably super paranoid about being phased out.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Red posted:

Wasn't Benoit supposed to put over Punk for the show he missed? He was probably super paranoid about being phased out.

Was he? He was replaced by Johnny Nitro, who went over Punk. I had thought they wanted Punk chasing the title for a bit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

IronCladBurrito posted:

Was he? He was replaced by Johnny Nitro, who went over Punk. I had thought they wanted Punk chasing the title for a bit.

I think so; I think the mindset was that Benoit puts over Punk, but Morrison jobbing there doesn't give Punk anything, so a chase might do more to elevate him.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So is this all the topics for the season now, or are there still more? I heard it was a thirteen episode season and that's 9 topics, but maybe some of those are two parters.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Not sure what was so scandalous about Pillman until after he died(nothing all that dark about screwing your dumb boss into a better job somewhere else) but I guess anyone who dies young from drugs is gonna get one of these eventually

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Didn’t Pillman get named posthumously during #SpeakingOut? I could be wrong.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Not sure but I know his son is one of the "hey just be cool don't ruin a young guy's career" shitbirds

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've heard a few stories about the lengths Pillman went to in order to sell the Loose Cannon character, some of which I've seen evidence of (unexpectedly manhandling a fragile "off-limits" Bobby Heenan in WCW) and others which seem a bit weirder (taking a poo poo on the floor in someone's house and possibly eating it?). I think the appeal though is in the perfect storm of him being involved in a tasteless Attitude Era rape angle, almost immediately dying due to a drug problem, and then that horrible interview with his widow on the next Raw.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mob posted:

Not sure what was so scandalous about Pillman until after he died(nothing all that dark about screwing your dumb boss into a better job somewhere else) but I guess anyone who dies young from drugs is gonna get one of these eventually

Brian Pillman seems to have had a generally lovely life:

- Spent most of his childhood in the hospital for throat polyps
- Disappointing sports career
- Promising but frustrating wrestling career derailed by a car wreck
- Dead at 35 from undiagnosed heart disease/drugs
- After his death, his ex-wife blew all the charity money she'd gotten on drugs, and his daughter died in a car wreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

Brian Pillman seems to have had a generally lovely life:

- Spent most of his childhood in the hospital for throat polyps
- Disappointing sports career
- Promising but frustrating wrestling career derailed by a car wreck
- Dead at 35 from undiagnosed heart disease/drugs
- After his death, his ex-wife blew all the charity money she'd gotten on drugs, and his daughter died in a car wreck

gently caress, I didn't know that last part