Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

RBX posted:

Is the new Gamera set by arrow better than the old blu rays?

At the very least the old Mill Creek Heisei Gamera box set's subtitles for Gamera 3 were messed up, and the Arrow release fixes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Watch all Godzillas

Does... that count the anime trilogy? :ohdear:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Watch all Godzillas

wdarkk posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Watch all Godzillas

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

wdarkk posted:

And the Hanna Barbara cartoon

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Suffer, like G we did!

https://i.imgur.com/pfJuaxQ.mp4

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

And the Hanna Barbara cartoon

I actually like that, or at least I did as a kid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wdarkk posted:

I actually like that, or at least I did as a kid.

Its quite good if you don't mind the formula

The formula is purestrain insanity

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It pairs well with the Marvel Godzilla comic, in a way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

wdarkk posted:

it's good.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I hope folks are watching all of the Kong movies in preparation. I watched King Kong Escapes, by Toho, and it was super wacky. Kong vs Robo Kong. It looks like the hover car from that movie is the inspiration for the small hover ships in GvK’21.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gripweed posted:

it's good.

as a sleep aid

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_SP/status/1369424149039509510?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo piiiiiiiiiiiisssss Hedorah!

I’m looking more forward to Singular Point than I am GvK

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wanna watch that

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

oh man they're gonna have suitmation-accurate Jet Jaguar in the final episode aren't they

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I can't believe I'm excited for, ugh...

...Jet Jaguar.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man they made Jet Jaguar good? I'm not ready for this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is this a movie or a series?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vintersorg posted:

Is this a movie or a series?

Series.

also re: that trailer, I still think the pterodactyls look like poo poo but I like the designs of the other CGI monsters

the movement still looks jerky and wrong in the same way as basically every CGI anime though

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

They waited until the time was ripe for the Jet Jaguar tv series. I hope that fan who made it back in 1972 is here to see it.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
holy poo poo singular point got me revved.

Jet Jaguar ape mode looks like he's more of a limber monkey, and I'm 100% here for it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man they made Jet Jaguar good? I'm not ready for this.

Jet Jaguar has always been good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, what is this poo poo that Jet Jaguar sucks? :lol:

He's a part of the one of the better monster fights, has an amazing goddamn theme song, and looks rad as poo poo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Just so i know, is jet jaguar an ultraman ripoff, or is ultraman a jet jaguar ripoff

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mandatory lesbian posted:

Just so i know, is jet jaguar an ultraman ripoff, or is ultraman a jet jaguar ripoff

Ultraman premiered in 1966, and Jet Jaguar first appeared in the 1973 movie Godzilla vs Megalon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

Jet Jaguar was the result of a contest Toho had in mid-to-late 1972 for fans to come up with a new hero for them to use, to capitalize on the many tokusatsu, anime superhero and super robot shows that were very popular at the time.

The winner of the contest submitted the drawing of a robot called Red Alone (レッド·アローン Reddo Arōn?). The robot resembled both Ultraman and Mazinger Z (both of which were very popular). The robot's design was altered and it was renamed "Jet Jaguar" and was set to star in its own film, titled Jet Jaguar vs. Megalon, which pit him against Megalon.

However, Toho figured Jet Jaguar would not be able to carry the film on his own, in screen appearance or marketing value, so during pre-production, the project was shut down for several weeks, until screenwriter Shinichi Sekizawa was called in to rewrite the script to add Godzilla and Gigan. The resulting film, Godzilla vs. Megalon, paired Godzilla with Jet Jaguar against both Megalon and Gigan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

speaking of which

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/1369338756000604160?s=20

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Any truth to the story that Jaguar was a mistranslation of Jaeger?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Burkion may know more on that for sure! :)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vintersorg posted:

Burkion may know more on that for sure! :)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yo! As Grip said, Ultraman predates Jet Jaguar by almost a full decade, but to call him a rip off is a bit disingenuous. You absolutely can, for note, but still needs to be said.

Ultraman-style heroes were just A Thing by that point in Japanese culture. Ultraman blew up in a way no other hero in Japanese media had, and he became the Superman. Jet Jaguar was just another hero of that kind of archetype, but with a lot to separate him. Not like Captain Marvel, but someone more obscure. But since JJ showed up in a Godzilla movie, it meant he couldn't be TOO obscure.

One neat detail is that the suit designer was talked into JJ being an Ultraman-like hero by convincing him to make JJ obnoxious and ridiculous. JJ was never intended to look good- that design wasn't an accident or an appeal to kid sensibilities. That was the designer wanting to make something unattractive as possible. The real Toho attempt to do a knock on Ultraman was Zone Fighter. But that was just, ahem, The Style At The Time.

PeterCat posted:

Any truth to the story that Jaguar was a mistranslation of Jaeger?

As funny as that would be, no. Jaguar was the intended name. His original name was Red Alone, which changed to Red Aron, which changed to Jet Alone, and then Jet Jaguar, with or without a hyphen. If I had to guess, it was because of the car brand which was already world famous and a cool foreign loan word.

That comes from the incorrect romanization that is sometimes used in Japan, Jet-Jagger, which is due to how they pronounce Jaguar. Which has more of a Jag-gar sound.

I do my best

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Burkion posted:

As funny as that would be, no. Jaguar was the intended name. His original name was Red Alone, which changed to Red Aron, which changed to Jet Alone, and then Jet Jaguar, with or without a hyphen. If I had to guess, it was because of the car brand which was already world famous and a cool foreign loan word.

That comes from the incorrect romanization that is sometimes used in Japan, Jet-Jagger, which is due to how they pronounce Jaguar. Which has more of a Jag-gar sound.

Ah, too bad.

Hopefully someday there will be an NGE style anime that explores Jet Jaguar's deep seated insecurity that comes from the fact that his mother never really loved him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PeterCat posted:

Ah, too bad.

Hopefully someday there will be an NGE style anime that explores Jet Jaguar's deep seated insecurity that comes from the fact that his mother never really loved him.

Funny you should mention EVA

https://evangelion.fandom.com/wiki/Jet_Alone

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

That's a lotta Rodans

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dunno how trusted this person can be, but I replied to a tweet made by the official Godzilla King of the Monsters thread about the Godzilla 2014 UHD.

https://twitter.com/lenguy4/status/1369782597967110144?s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno how trusted this person can be, but I replied to a tweet made by the official Godzilla King of the Monsters thread about the Godzilla 2014 UHD.

https://twitter.com/lenguy4/status/1369782597967110144?s=19

Only took them 6 years god drat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So gonna have to rebuy that poo poo, eh? Also get a 4k capable disc player - which means a PS5 in my case. gently caress.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Didn't the DP or cinematographer for G'14 insist that the brightness (or lack thereof) on the Blu-Ray was how it was supposed to look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Not sure if this needs to be spoilered but from the SP trailer:

Kumonga or Megalon?