Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Zuzie posted:

I think there was an interview somewhere that they had big plans for USUM but they couldn't make too many new assets for the game so they had to work with what was in the original plus some new stuff.

I will never forgive them for what they did to Looker in USUM :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
The difference between SM and USUM is that I will replay SM a bunch, but I will never reset USUM because my save has a shitload of BP and all the move tutors unlocked, which is useful for fixing pokemon with dumb movesets when replaying SM

Zuzie posted:

I think there was an interview somewhere that they had big plans for USUM but they couldn't make too many new assets for the game so they had to work with what was in the original plus some new stuff.
it doesn't help that some of those plans were "scrapped poo poo we wanted to make for pokemon Z, but then we never made that so it's here now"

hi, zygarde

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

it doesn't help that some of those plans were "scrapped poo poo we wanted to make for pokemon Z, but then we never made that so it's here now"

hi, zygarde

the existence of Z-Moves will never stop being funny to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

The difference between SM and USUM is that I will replay SM a bunch, but I will never reset USUM because my save has a shitload of BP and all the move tutors unlocked, which is useful for fixing pokemon with dumb movesets when replaying SM

hi, zygarde

Whatever happened to Pokémon Z anyway? I know Zygarde had an entire season of the anime devoted to him despite not actually showing up in the games until the following year In SM but I’m not sure when/why the game itself got canned.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

Whatever happened to Pokémon Z anyway? I know Zygarde had an entire season of the anime devoted to him despite not actually showing up in the games until the following year In SM but I’m not sure when/why the game itself got canned.

ORAS probably got in the way of development.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Larryb posted:

Umm... no? Zygarde is in XY. It's just one of those Pokemon that are chilling in a cave until you find them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like how Sword and Shield learned from the mistakes of X and Y, and did not even hint at the idea of areas we couldn't visit. Hell, they even just took out areas to visit entirely!

I kid somewhat, I'm sure ragging on Sw/Sh is probably tired, but I can't get over how kinda anemic it feels in ways? Without the DLC, there's basically no side areas, no dungeons, barely any post game, no real legendary chase. I guess the wild area and raid battles is kinda supposed to take that role, but don't really feel like the replicate the feeling of something like Celedon dungeon?

I still think back to B/W or B2/W2 moreso, feel like it had a good chunk of extra stuff to go do after beating the E4. (Or just stuff that was kind of easy to miss along the way) Hell, the one good thing about HMs is they created a way to hide stuff in early areas.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mateo360 posted:

Umm... no? Zygarde is in XY. It's just one of those Pokemon that are chilling in a cave until you find them.

Really? I always assumed it first appeared in SM, where can you find it then?

Off the subject, none of the DS games are available via Virtual Console or some other legal digital release are they?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, none of the DS games are available via Virtual Console or some other legal digital release are they?

Zygarde is encountered in Terminus Cave. The DS games (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2) are available as physical copies only - they are not available on either the Wii U or the 3DS eShop.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Zygarde is indeed in XY. But his entire story and gimmick were introduced in the third year of the XY anime and the SM games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, neat. Nevermind that part in that case.

I assume XY Zygarde can’t change forms and you encounter it in its complete one then?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

I assume XY Zygarde can’t change forms and you encounter it in its complete one then?
in XY it was Big Snake forme, Dog and Mecha formes were only added in SM

Oxyclean posted:

I still think back to B/W or B2/W2 moreso, feel like it had a good chunk of extra stuff to go do after beating the E4. (Or just stuff that was kind of easy to miss along the way) Hell, the one good thing about HMs is they created a way to hide stuff in early areas.
wasn't the entire right side of Unova postgame exclusive in BW or am I misremembering? Granted some of that postgame (specifically: black city/white forest) was kind of incredibly anemic until BW2, but there was still a fair chunk of it

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Larryb posted:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Terminus_Cave

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaziken386 posted:

in XY it was Big Snake forme, Dog and Mecha formes were only added in SM

wasn't the entire right side of Unova postgame exclusive in BW or am I misremembering? Granted some of that postgame (specifically: black city/white forest) was kind of incredibly anemic until BW2, but there was still a fair chunk of it

Yeah, IIRC surf is also a postgame HM too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Larryb posted:

Its in 50 percent form, but yeah no other forms are available

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pikachu got a story in Yellow after doing nothing in Red/Green and Blue
Suicune got a story in Crystal after doing nothing in Gold and Silver
Rayquaza got a story in Emerald after doing nothing in Ruby and Sapphire
Giratina got a story in Platinum after doing nothing in Diamond and Pearl
Kyurem got a story in BW2 after doing nothing in Black and White
Zygarde got a quarter-assed sidequest in SM after doing nothing in X and Y
Necrozma got a half-assed story in USM after doing nothing in Sun and Moon
Arceus might finally get something after doing nothing in its debut generation

hm...I'm noting a trend after the swap to 3D

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I was watching the new ProZD video where he ranks all of the gym leaders throughout the series and I realized that I don't remember any of the Kalos gym leaders, like, at all

I played through both X and Y, and yet so much of that game is a complete blank to me :psyduck:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shame, they're really good designs, Wulfric is so good.

He forgot to put Alder in the vid though lol

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The designs are terrific, but XY has a problem with bosses across the board.

I honestly like Pokemon XY, they're solid games; it's the first time the regional roster is so massive and you get amazing pokemon really early on. Moment-to-moment you're fighting some solid trainers and cool wild pokemon. Every single boss is a miss. Gym leaders don't really live up to the gym you've gone through, Lysandre is kinda a joke beyond his Mega Gyarados, and your main rival gets a stretch where you fight them after essentially each route with them not changing their team at all. You don't feel the bump from a boss vs randos you find in route.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

Pikachu got a story in Yellow after doing nothing in Red/Green and Blue
Suicune got a story in Crystal after doing nothing in Gold and Silver
Rayquaza got a story in Emerald after doing nothing in Ruby and Sapphire
Giratina got a story in Platinum after doing nothing in Diamond and Pearl
Kyurem got a story in BW2 after doing nothing in Black and White
Zygarde got a quarter-assed sidequest in SM after doing nothing in X and Y
Necrozma got a half-assed story in USM after doing nothing in Sun and Moon
Arceus might finally get something after doing nothing in its debut generation

hm...I'm noting a trend after the swap to 3D

I don't know if I'd call Necrozma's story "half-assed". It's got as much focus as other box characters in other games. So its more of a whole assed story.

But yeah it's probably because developing a game with 3D models is a bit more difficult then developing a sprite-based game, especially when it comes to developing all new assets.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It wouldn't be a massive issue if Game Freak was given more time to develop these games, stories, postgames etc. But they'll be releasing two games in the next 12 months, so maybe next time.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Crosspeice posted:

It wouldn't be a massive issue if Game Freak was given more time to develop these games, stories, postgames etc. But they'll be releasing two games in the next 12 months, so maybe next time.

BDSP isn't even being developed by Game Freak themselves, so they're putting all of their own hands on Legends, unlike what happened with LGPE and SwSh where they were divided into two teams. So I think that issue of manpower is being addressed right now.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

I was watching the new ProZD video where he ranks all of the gym leaders throughout the series and I realized that I don't remember any of the Kalos gym leaders, like, at all

I played through both X and Y, and yet so much of that game is a complete blank to me :psyduck:

I remember Valerie because of her creepy eyes.

Gen 5 had my favourite gym leaders. They actually did stuff outside of the gym which made them more memorable.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

I remember you could sit on the toilet in the fairy gym and that was funny to 20 year old me. Other than that, X and Y are forgettable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How does restricted sparring compare to battle tower? I see that it has a "pokemon lowered to 50" clause so that already is telling me it might be a whole load of not fun.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Oxyclean posted:

How does restricted sparring compare to battle tower? I see that it has a "pokemon lowered to 50" clause so that already is telling me it might be a whole load of not fun.

You can only use one type, and you aren't healed between battles. You get a nice prize each time you reach a 5 win streak with a new type. Good luck!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

You can only use one type, and you aren't healed between battles. You get a nice prize each time you reach a 5 win streak with a new type. Good luck!

I meant do the enemies have bullshit teams, or is it a bit more manageable if you aren't doing crazy meta stuff?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Oxyclean posted:

I meant do the enemies have bullshit teams, or is it a bit more manageable if you aren't doing crazy meta stuff?

I believe they're just as bullshit as the battle tower.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

The designs are terrific, but XY has a problem with bosses across the board.

I honestly like Pokemon XY, they're solid games; it's the first time the regional roster is so massive and you get amazing pokemon really early on. Moment-to-moment you're fighting some solid trainers and cool wild pokemon. Every single boss is a miss. Gym leaders don't really live up to the gym you've gone through, Lysandre is kinda a joke beyond his Mega Gyarados, and your main rival gets a stretch where you fight them after essentially each route with them not changing their team at all. You don't feel the bump from a boss vs randos you find in route.

Up until Sword and Shield Lysandre was the worst/lamest villain in the entire series.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

X/Y was worth it for Sylveon alone.

Also that "it's been 3000 years" line makes for a good meme.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

IIRC it was canceled in favor of getting Sun/Moon out in time for the anniversary and everything that was most likely meant for Z (Zygarde forms and Ash-Greninja) was shoved into Sun/Moon instead.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

There's a set pool of mons you'll face, it's pretty big but they did actually make sure to keep some of the really cheesy BS battle tower stuff out of it. So stuff can totally catch you off guard but it's decently fair. I've gone through at least 5 wins with every type and you actually get LOADS of BP for doing it. Some people do it for fun and there's a whole meta around building specific team comps for the different types to get crazy long streaks, like 100+. Pro tip, the Shell Bell is actually the best item to give your lead sweeper because the healing over time is way better than say leftovers, and consumable items like berries only come back after you use one of your two heals.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I really like Viola's design, and Wulfric is alright, but otherwise I'm honestly kinda bleh on X/Y designs.

Malva would be cool if they did... anything with her beyond 'oh by the way, I belonged to that evil team. Revenge!'.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Kimono Woman was cool, only her appearance was memorable though otherwise I'd know her name

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

The Kimono Woman was cool, only her appearance was memorable though otherwise I'd know her name

I kinda wished there'd been a moment in the anime where she was shown just wearing normal clothes instead of her fancy outfit and she's got guns for days. Cuz' in canon that outfit weighs something like 33 pounds she's gotta be an absolute beefcake under there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've been reading Pokemon Adventures during downtime at work the past two weeks, up to the Ruby and Sapphire arcs and I really like them making Brendan obsessed with having cute and cool pokemon for contests, and May into a battle obsessed cavewoman.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've been reading Pokemon Adventures during downtime at work the past two weeks, up to the Ruby and Sapphire arcs and I really like them making Brendan obsessed with having cute and cool pokemon for contests, and May into a battle obsessed cavewoman.

I liked the fact that they played with gender roles in a children's comic.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I like how Sword and Shield learned from the mistakes of X and Y, and did not even hint at the idea of areas we couldn't visit. Hell, they even just took out areas to visit entirely!

I kid somewhat, I'm sure ragging on Sw/Sh is probably tired, but I can't get over how kinda anemic it feels in ways? Without the DLC, there's basically no side areas, no dungeons, barely any post game, no real legendary chase. I guess the wild area and raid battles is kinda supposed to take that role, but don't really feel like the replicate the feeling of something like Celedon dungeon?

RSE was the set of games that I felt did optional content really well. Excessive water routes aside, there's a bunch of stuff to explore. The desert, abandoned boat, old mauville, trick house, shoal caves, meteor falls, pacifidlog and sky pillar, the sealed chamber and the regis.

Its something that started to get ignored with X/Y and as good as I think ORAS are for their insane amount of QoL stuff, the neutering of stuff like old mauville and the abandoned ship and the battle frontier feels so disappointing. old manvuille is barely a room (which is completely empty) and its locked off until the post game because I suppose the thunderbolt TM is just that gamebreaking.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't like a lot of the shiptease moments between them, but Ruby and Sapphire individually are probably my favourite of the protagonists in pokespe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

eternaldough posted:

I don't like a lot of the shiptease moments between them, but Ruby and Sapphire individually are probably my favourite of the protagonists in pokespe.

Is it really a shiptease when it's practically canon?

My favourite PokeAdventures protagonist is probably Gold, but everyone before DPPt is good.