Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I will never understand why anyone defends Hellraiser 4, let alone compares it favorably to 3. It's got the budget and look of a Wishmaster sequel and is credited to Alan Smithee. I'd rather watch a puppet master movie.

4 really tried to be epic but just couldn't afford it. I saw a renegade cut on YouTube or something that put in cut scenes and unfinished effects and storyboards to at least show what it was supposed to be. It would have been much better than 3 if fully realized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Tbf to Hellraiser 4+ sequels Clive (maybe?) phoned it in just as much with the Scarlet Gospels.

To avoid being negative Lord of Illusions is a fun one to throw on.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

finished Castle Rock season 2. loved it from start to finish.

Tim Robinson was pure entertainment, gently caress he can act, Lizzy Kaplan basically channelled big Kath Bates / American Horror Story energy, but you know, good instead of shlock, and the whole thing was a very enjoyable ride.

really sad and a bit surprised to read it got axed after s2. it really managed to do a great remixed King universe.

i guess the mashup of Revival and Tommyknockers can only exist in my dreams

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

indiscriminately posted:

Since I'm asking questions in here, am I right to believe the title "Hellraiser" of the first film refers to the antagonist, because he is both a hellraiser in the colloquial sense and also he is the one responsible for bringing the Cenobites into the setting of the film?

I always assumed it referred to the puzzle box (the Lament Configuration), but I like your double meaning interpretation

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/decervelage/status/1369105603935797250?s=21

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Watched The Empty Man tonight.

Enjoyed it - it didn't quite stick the landing for me but man if that movie doesn't take some nice big swings that I appreciated.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thom and the Heads posted:

Watched The Empty Man tonight.

Enjoyed it - it didn't quite stick the landing for me but man if that movie doesn't take some nice big swings that I appreciated.

How's the pace feel? I've been torn for a bit between wanting to give it a chance and being scared off by the 137-minute listed runtime

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Chris James 2 posted:

How's the pace feel? I've been torn for a bit between wanting to give it a chance and being scared off by the 137-minute listed runtime

Can't lie - It feels long. But it goes in a few very interesting directions over the course of the runtime that it doesn't feel completely unjustified and for the most part, it stays moving at a good pace. It held my attention throughout although there was a moment when I had to pause to go to the bathroom and I saw I still had an hour and a half left. Literally said "jesus why is this thing so long" out loud to myself lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vince MechMahon posted:

5 is the "best" one after 2 because it's a fine straight to video supernatural detective movie.
Yeah, it's the only one I've seen after 2. It's fine.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 9, 2021

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

AKZ posted:

The Damnation Game would make such a great movie in capable hands. OG Barker is awesome.

I'm kinda surprised that one hasn't been made in some form yet.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Basebf555 posted:

The trailer for the new Wrong Turn did kinda make me want to watch it though. The scene where a gigantic log is rolling towards them looked pretty cool.

Anyway it can't be very long before it shows up on a streaming service so I can watch it for free.

I reread this post four times and I swear it said "rolling leg" the first three

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I know I'm in the minority but I really liked the space hellraiser. Yes, it was dumb as hell, but it was kinda fun.

Jason X was also amazing. If they could bring Myers out into space somehow, I'd watch that too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm kinda surprised that one hasn't been made in some form yet.

you'd basically have to go all-in on portraying convicts and addicts in a sympathetic light. in a post-American Gods world I don't completely discount the possibility but unfortunately attitudes there still kind of suck

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tarnop posted:

I always assumed it referred to the puzzle box (the Lament Configuration), but I like your double meaning interpretation

The original novella is called 'The Hellbound Heart' and the cenobites are drawn by desire as much as anything.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

TOOT BOOT posted:

The original novella is called 'The Hellbound Heart' and the cenobites are drawn by desire as much as anything.

I'd forgotten about the original title. So is the box meant to be just a focus for that desire, and what matters is that you cared enough to open it?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tarnop posted:

I'd forgotten about the original title. So is the box meant to be just a focus for that desire, and what matters is that you cared enough to open it?

Basically yeah. I think it's briefly mentioned there are other ways of summoning them. It's been a while but I think Frank basically summons them out of hedonistic boredom.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ That's exactly why he did it, and I'm fairly sure it's made explicit. But the Cenobites do take opening the box as an invitation, whether you wanted what they have to offer or not.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I know I'm in the minority but I really liked the space hellraiser. Yes, it was dumb as hell, but it was kinda fun.

Jason X was also amazing. If they could bring Myers out into space somehow, I'd watch that too.

That would be terrible. Cenobites are already cosmic horror in a sense, and Jason is a cartoon, but Michael works chiefly as an invader and disruptor of normality.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 9, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jedit posted:

But the Cenobites do take opening the box as an invitation, whether you wanted what they have to offer or not.

In part 2 they leave Tiffany alone despite being the one who physically opened it because she didn’t have the “desire.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

david_a posted:

In part 2 they leave Tiffany alone despite being the one who physically opened it because she didn’t have the “desire.”

I've only seen Hellbound once, but I had thought that they had to be persuaded not to take the girl who opened the box for Channard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I've only seen Hellbound once, but I had thought that they had to be persuaded not to take the girl who opened the box for Channard.

They seem to have a code of conduct similar to like a monastic order but that doesn't mean they always follow it to the letter. Pinhead is the leader so he's the one who keeps them in line and tells them not to take the girl.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

The other cenobites want to take her and Pinhead is like "no, she might have solved the box but the desire wasn't there" and go for Kristy instead I believe.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you'd basically have to go all-in on portraying convicts and addicts in a sympathetic light. in a post-American Gods world I don't completely discount the possibility but unfortunately attitudes there still kind of suck

I haven't seen American Gods, so don't have a lot of context for that particular point. Idk though, the flawed hero is a pretty accessible concept and Carys was as much a prisoner of Whitehead as she was an addict. I haven't revisited the Damnation Game for a year or two so I might be omitting some nuance.

I just really appreciate the proto-cenobite style characters and Breer is a nightmare that could be really interesting with his assumed razor-eater mythology.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

They seem to have a code of conduct similar to like a monastic order but that doesn't mean they always follow it to the letter. Pinhead is the leader so he's the one who keeps them in line and tells them not to take the girl.

So everyone is right, then. The best kind of resolution.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pinhead will also go back on his deals all of the time because he just really likes torturing people that have that base desire.

I still always prefer the short story/first movie where they are not from "hell" and are just as much angels as demons or whatever - basically human desire pulling in another layer of being that wants to get you to their level by giving you equal parts torture and pleasure.

Also why Frank Cotton is always the villain of the first film; he got exactly what he asked for and then is responsible for killing everyone else because he decided he didn't want it (ultimate pleasure would necessitate coming with ultimate pain).

And I love that when he's wearing his brother's skin, he basically turns into DS9 Garak and starts making all of those silly faces he always makes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Master from Manos has been unsuccessfully trying to summon the Cenobites for so long...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Looks like Them, this new Amazon series is a sneaky (or not so sneaky if you look at the poster) prequel to Jordan Peele's Us.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Huh.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Them looks interesting but personally i was hoping for :getin:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

flashy_mcflash posted:

Looks like Them, this new Amazon series is a sneaky (or not so sneaky if you look at the poster) prequel to Jordan Peele's Us.

I’m not getting that? The vibe is similar but it doesn’t have Jordan Peele or Universal’s involvement, which a spin-off of US would have to

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
A prequel to Us sounds like an exercise in futility. The people that like it don't need more answers, and more explanations aren't going to retroactively make fans of the people that didn't like it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

A prequel to Us sounds like an exercise in futility. The people that like it don't need more answers, and more explanations aren't going to retroactively make fans of the people that didn't like it.

I liked Us but if anything it explained too much.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

One interesting thing about going back and listening to the Get Out director's commentary is how much of the universe's backstory Peele had planned out. He connected the events of the film all the way back to the Knights Templar, and appeared to have some ambition in regards to telling that story too. I think he might have a real instinct to over-explain everything, which perhaps doesn't bode well for him as his budgets and creative freedom increase.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it's just in that same wheelhouse. Definitely has some inspiriation from Lovecraft Country too

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

One interesting thing about going back and listening to the Get Out director's commentary is how much of the universe's backstory Peele had planned out. He connected the events of the film all the way back to the Knights Templar, and appeared to have some ambition in regards to telling that story too. I think he might have a real instinct to over-explain everything, which perhaps doesn't bode well for him as his budgets and creative freedom increase.

couldn't agree with this more. for me the heart of horror is mystery and inexplicability, not deep lore cuts

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

alf_pogs posted:

couldn't agree with this more. for me the heart of horror is mystery and inexplicability, not deep lore cuts

I love reading about the lore and knowing as much as I can about strange worlds/people/monsters/etc but in general this -- my favorite movies, and the ones that stick with me the most, are the ones that don't tell you poo poo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah , I mean over explaining in horror movies for me detracts from the film and whats happening how you experience it. I dunno I like films that are more like a fugue state like The Beyond .

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Exposition and horror don't mix. It's why Silent Hill crapped itself and died at the end, and why horror series inevitably become lovely when they start delving into their "lore" in the sequels.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Exposition and "lore" is honestly toxic to all genres of storytelling. It's a fundamental misunderstanding about what sort of writing works to create an interesting narrative, versus what kind of writing belongs in supplemental materials for existing fans of a work.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Are ya'll sure? I'm pretty sure lore is like the most important thing next to making sure creators ship the characters I deemed to be gay for each other and/or have shown to be evil thus the actor is also evil so I automatically hate that person and wish them nothing but misery and also getting back to lore, if the story doesnt unfold the exact way I detailed extremely graphically in my tumblr about the thing I say I like then the show is poo poo and is causing me emotional harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

GORE NOT LORE