Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Point issues are worse than zero or minus issues and the person who came up with them should have all their finger nails peeled off slowly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Point issues are worse than zero or minus issues and the person who came up with them should have all their finger nails peeled off slowly

It's the absolute loving worst and I'm glad so far X-Men hasn't done it since the Hickman relaunch, since that's the only big two line I'm following at the moment.

(plus Black Cat, but that's just a single title)

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the #X AU issues that tied in with age of ultron were mystifying to come across

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of Spider-Man, is that series where Peter keeps the symbiote any good?

I mean on one hand, I know Greg Land is poop incarnate. But I generally like Peter David's work.

It's not an AU where he keeps it, it's meant to be 'Untold Tales' from when Peter had it before he learned it was alive.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My Legion readthrough is done with Threeboot, so now I guess I have to complain about minority erasure at DC around 2010.

First things first, though. Shooter's second run felt like it could have gone someplace, but ended abruptly. It did have the problems of dropping the concept of the Legion as a social movement and having Brainiac 5 solve everything. I was enjoying the background stories a lot more than his main one and then the series just got cut off because Geoff Johns wanted his Legion back. It's actually kind of noticeable in Legion of Three Worlds as the Legion members Superboy Prime kills are Reboot and Threebooters.

It's not exactly subtle that the Legion up to the reboot had a pretty significant diversity problem. They were packed with characters created in the 50's and 60's, after all. Both reboots attempted to address this a bit, though given the scale of the number of characters they really didn't go far enough. All of that was wiped out because Johns wanted his childhood characters back so now on a team of over twenty characters there is exactly one case of minority representation and Dawnstar pretty lovely representation since she's a Native American with "tracking" powers. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Johns adds Skateboard Lad to the roster.

At least these Adventure Comics back ups are short. Though I'm getting full doses of the worst aspects of Johns writing in them ("You can't keep lightning in a bottle." :rolleyes:)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's not an AU where he keeps it, it's meant to be 'Untold Tales' from when Peter had it before he learned it was alive.

How is it?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like it but it's quite PAD

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of, I've been reading his Maestro miniseries, and it's been good so far but "quite PAD" is definitely how I'd describe it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Oh definitely. You know there were precisely two people clamoring for more Pantheon content, and those two people were PAD and me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh definitely. You know there were precisely two people clamoring for more Pantheon content, and those two people were PAD and me.

I wouldn't have minded some more Pantheon stuff.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Then boy do I have great news for you about Maestro: War and Pax

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of, I've been reading his Maestro miniseries, and it's been good so far but "quite PAD" is definitely how I'd describe it.

I'm a big fan of his work but a LOT of his stuff reads that way, I just thought it might be especially bad, since David had a stroke and all.

Tangentially, I think PAD is the best Hulk writer ever, although I intend to read the current series that is basically "Body Horror: a Tribute".

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 7, 2021

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Random Stranger posted:

My Legion readthrough is done with Threeboot, so now I guess I have to complain about minority erasure at DC around 2010.

First things first, though. Shooter's second run felt like it could have gone someplace, but ended abruptly. It did have the problems of dropping the concept of the Legion as a social movement and having Brainiac 5 solve everything. I was enjoying the background stories a lot more than his main one and then the series just got cut off because Geoff Johns wanted his Legion back. It's actually kind of noticeable in Legion of Three Worlds as the Legion members Superboy Prime kills are Reboot and Threebooters.

It's not exactly subtle that the Legion up to the reboot had a pretty significant diversity problem. They were packed with characters created in the 50's and 60's, after all. Both reboots attempted to address this a bit, though given the scale of the number of characters they really didn't go far enough. All of that was wiped out because Johns wanted his childhood characters back so now on a team of over twenty characters there is exactly one case of minority representation and Dawnstar pretty lovely representation since she's a Native American with "tracking" powers. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Johns adds Skateboard Lad to the roster.

Yeah I remember minority erasure being a real complaint from fans at the time, mainly directed at Johns as he came into power. Looking back it’s pretty icky to see so many POC legacy characters get depowered or straight up murdered so a bunch of white blonde dudes can come back to life. It stunk then, it stinks even more now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hal Jordan is honestly the most egregious considering at that time the most visible GL outside of comics was John Stewart, to the point where for a whole generation, he basically is the only Green Lantern they're aware of. So logically making him the main GL would've made sense for a big time relaunch. But nope, Geoffy boy had to bring back the world's dullest white man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There is no way that Hal is the dullest when Barry Allen is right there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bringing back Hal Jordan ended up being the best thing to happen to Green Lantern comics.

Bringing back Barry Allen ended up being the worst thing to happen to Flash comics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When I was a kid sometimes when I went to the comic shop and my parents weren't paying attention or the cover seemed tame, I'd slip a copy of Spawn in with my normal Spidermans and what have you. My parents never expressed an awareness of Spawn, but it has such an air of a forbidden, gritty, mature comic, I just felt it best not to give my parents any reason to look into it.

As such, I only read a handful of random issues across the years I was into American comics as a child, so I never got any good sense of the story or universe. Now I can only remember a couple specific details I read, the finite power gimmick and one issue about some people wandering around limbo. But what does come across very strongly in my memory is a sense of grossness. The main character looked gross under the mask, he was usually standing in a filthy alley, the bad guys were gross, the bystanders were gross, it was a gross world full of gross people.

I saw some people talking about Spawn recently and that brought that memory back. so when I went to the comic shop to get the latest volume of Dragon Goes House-Hunting, on a whim I decided to grab a random recent issue of Spawn.

Honestly, the grossness wasn't there as much. The guy still looked gross under the mask, but the issue took place on a beach and in a clean lab. He got some mysterious fluid pumped into his gross body, but that was mainly it.

But the story of the comic was that Spawn got caught by a much bigger Spawn, who explained that something Spawn did like ten issues beforehand had trapped hundreds of Spawns on earth, and now all the Spawns are going to fight each other to see who can conquer earth. Which kicks rear end. I'm gonna subscribe to Spawn.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Bringing back Hal Jordan ended up being the best thing to happen to Green Lantern comics.

Bringing back Barry Allen ended up being the worst thing to happen to Flash comics.

I agree with this and I am saying that as a Kyle fan. Up until Johns brought back Hal I think Green Lantern the title was kind of floundering and borderline non existent as far as sales go, and Johns revitalized the title. Not that any was clamoring for Hal to come back but the stories that came out after were pretty top notch.
Now with Flash no one was calling for Barry to come back. I don't know how well Flash was selling but there were well received runs preceding Barry. Like just a few years before Barry coming back. It was so unneeded

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The Flash (with Wally West) was the first regular superhero comic I went out of my way to buy on a monthly basis, how ironic it was written by Johns at the time.

Then Waid took over and it became Flash & Family and it should have been better.

Then Impact randomly got aged up and became Flash for a terrible grim-dark series that lasted 12 issues and seemed only to exist to kill him off and set the stage for Barry returning (so yeah, another fun legacy character beloved by fans getting merked for the enjoyment of Johns).

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Madkal posted:

Now with Flash no one was calling for Barry to come back. I don't know how well Flash was selling but there were well received runs preceding Barry. Like just a few years before Barry coming back. It was so unneeded

I was on the DC comics message boards in the early 2000s and I can assure you that tons of people wanted Barry back. Maybe it was just a really vocal minority but the DC fans would have been extremely happy if they could just change everything back to how it was in the seventies but with decapitations and disembowelments.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

I agree with this and I am saying that as a Kyle fan. Up until Johns brought back Hal I think Green Lantern the title was kind of floundering and borderline non existent as far as sales go, and Johns revitalized the title. Not that any was clamoring for Hal to come back but the stories that came out after were pretty top notch.

The good stuff we got out of GL after Hal coming back could have been done without Hal.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was on the DC comics message boards in the early 2000s and I can assure you that tons of people wanted Barry back. Maybe it was just a really vocal minority but the DC fans would have been extremely happy if they could just change everything back to how it was in the seventies but with decapitations and disembowelments.

You can't trust that board. It had Superboy Prime as a moderator.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know I'm in the minority about this but I really didn't like the GL revamp. I think the emotional spectrum stuff is just straight up dumb.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I remember my friend lent me Blackest Night and there was a panel where they were all combining their colors together and one guy was like, "didn't I see this on a Saturday morning cartoon?" like they were aware how cheesy and childish it was.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
captian planet is better than gl though...probably

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's some ok moments in Johns' GL but really in terms of narrative structure it's just the Red Wedding over and over and over.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The Rainbow Corp stuff was fun dumb comic book stuff that I liked but there’s absolutely zero reason it couldn’t have been John Stewart instead of Hal

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't like how it turned the lanterns from space cops to space marines, among other things. It just felt like Johns only knew how to tell a story by ripping nuance away from everything to justify shocking or quotable panels.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marines is just cops with bigger guns, and what gun is bigger than the one that can do anything you want?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Marines is just cops with bigger guns, and what gun is bigger than the one that can do anything you want?

Marines usually have stricter "use of force" guidelines than cops.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I've found something interesting that I was initially going to just post in the Comic Strip thread, but since Bechdel is probably just as known as a graphic memoirist these days I figured I'd drop it here too.

I was helping a student find sources for a paper about Fun Home and found myself trawling the back issues of small press lesbian journals from the 80s, which is how I wound up browsing around the Winter 1982 issue of Common Lives/Lesbian Lives. This was a quarterly journal that mostly published short pieces of autobiographical writing from lesbians, and it had a reputation for giving a rare spotlight to lesbians who lived outside of the coastal publishing cliques. Anyway, I found this brief piece of memoir, "Episodes," which seems to be the earliest piece of Bechdel's work that I've ever seen (her little bio blurb at the end says it's her first published work but that doesn't always rule out juvenilia in school journals and stuff)? In any case, check it out, some very very early prose by a major comics figure!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wow that rules, so interesting. I love stuff like that. Thank you so much for posting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I picked up an old Ultraman comic I'd never heard of at the comic shop the other day, Ultracomics' Ultraman #1 of 3. It turned out to be written by Dwayne McDuffie! Dwayne McDuffie wrote an Ultraman comic! The comic was pretty good which makes sense not only because of the writer but because in the middle of a two page summary of the franchise, there's this paragraph

He loving got it. Not only did Dwayne McDuffie write an Ultraman comic, he understood Ultraman.
It makes me even sadder about the new Marvel series.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I picked up an old Ultraman comic I'd never heard of at the comic shop the other day, Ultracomics' Ultraman #1 of 3. It turned out to be written by Dwayne McDuffie! Dwayne McDuffie wrote an Ultraman comic! The comic was pretty good which makes sense not only because of the writer but because in the middle of a two page summary of the franchise, there's this paragraph

He loving got it. Not only did Dwayne McDuffie write an Ultraman comic, he understood Ultraman.
It makes me even sadder about the new Marvel series.

McDuffie was a real talent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

McDuffie was a real talent.

He was also Keegan Michael-Key's half brother, raised by different families and Key didn't actually find out until after McDuffie died.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

here is a comic from 2008, about a time-traveler, mentioning 2012's superstorm sandy :tinfoil:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Squizzle posted:

here is a comic from 2008, about a time-traveler, mentioning 2012's superstorm sandy :tinfoil:

to be fair that's what most people think East Orange just looks like in real life anyway

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

The best thing though is when you find out at the end of the issue that he's definitely not trained for it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Was Cable actually a soldier? I thought he was just tough and gruff from growing up in a bad future.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He was in a religious cult. Not only that he was the messiah of the religious cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He fought in a lot of wars while time traveling so he meets the soldiering requirements.