Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So, 2 weeks ago I grabbed one of these as my new monitor:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/510553/lg-32gk650f-b-32-wqhd-144hz-dp-hdmi-freesync-led-gaming-monitor

I got it home, mounted it on the wall, fire it up, and...

Took it in and exchanged it for a replacement. All was good for 2 weeks, until I woke up this morning, turned the monitor on, and there's 2 horizontal black lines across the bottom half of the screen. Independent of inputs, it even shows up on the OSD menu.

I always assumed LG was a decent brand. Do I chalk this up to a bad coincidence and 2 flukes, or is this the point where I try a different model?

Only issue is, with the sale, I'd have to go up another ~$80 to get one with similar specs. Aside from this poo poo I'm very happy with the model itself, but 2 duds in a row...

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bit late but the Gigabyte M27Q got here. Uncracked! And it came with three different power cords. (US, AU, and Brazilian I think)

Scrolling is even smoother at 170Hz, though somehow seems a bit blurrier. To my untrained eye, the colors aren't quite right even in sRGB mode but that's not a particularly meaningful appraisal.

The controls are bit more finicky than the LG 83A. You have to actually search for the joystick since it's on the back and it doesn't feel as good to use. Plus the OSD is a bit slow to respond. But I like that it gives you three custom slots with access to all settings (the LG iirc gives you only one slot and not all settings are available). There's also a shortcut for quickly changing profiles (and the shortcuts are even customizable).

Text does seem a bit off even after adjusting cleartype. Like little bits of color at the edges.

But more importantly... I still have the "dark scene" issue. I'm duplicating the output to an LCD tv, so I can compare them next to one another. Put simply, I can see details on the TV I can't on the monitor. If I move the black equalizer up a level they become pretty similar. :shrug: Sorry, I know I keep droning on about this, it's just driving me a bit insane. Not sure what I'm gonna do.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Those monitors supposedly have decent out of the box calibration in sRGB mode, so it's possible you're just used to displays that exaggerate colors. A good starting point for setting up the picture is to try the settings rtings used in their "Post Calibration" test (scroll down a bit) along with their ICC profile. Unless you have a very nice, relatively new TV, I wouldn't use the TV as your "this is how things should look" reference. Ultimately you're probably expecting too much from a relatively cheap monitor, and it sounds like you're able to tweak the settings a bit to get things closer to what you want, so it sounds like it's fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Splinter posted:

Unless you have a very nice, relatively new TV, I wouldn't use the TV as your "this is how things should look" reference.

Yeah I've considered that. The thing is, it's less about looking good or right, and more about just being able to see at all in those areas. It's not like this was one particular game with bad gamma that was giving me issues. After upgrading to the 83A (from an old HP), suddenly any moderately dark scene was hard to make out. I was straining my eyes in D3, a game I had played for hundreds of hours on my previous monitor w/o issue.

With all that said, I just played a bit of D3 right now, and it felt like an improvement over the LG (without touching the black equalizer). So I'm gonna test out some other games before making a verdict.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 8, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I've considered that. The thing is, it's less about looking good or right, and more about just being able to see at all in those areas. It's not like this was one particular game with bad gamma that was giving me issues. After upgrading to the 83A (from an old HP), suddenly any moderately dark scene was hard to make out. I was straining my eyes in D3, a game I had played for hundreds of hours on my previous monitor w/o issue.

With all that said, I just played a bit of D3 right now, and it felt like an improvement over the LG (without touching the black equalizer). So I'm gonna test out some other games before making a verdict.

Monitors (and TVs) generally come factory set with the brightness way too high, as that tends to look 'better' in the store (and they don't want to look 'dim' compared to the competition). If you check the pre vs post calibration settings they use in that rtings link, you'll notice the brightness setting is turned way down. That could have something to do with the eye strain.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Splinter posted:

Monitors (and TVs) generally come factory set with the brightness way too high, as that tends to look 'better' in the store (and they don't want to look 'dim' compared to the competition). If you check the pre vs post calibration settings they use in that rtings link, you'll notice the brightness setting is turned way down. That could have something to do with the eye strain.

The brightness was high by default, but that wasn't the issue because I quickly turned it down. It was straining in the sense that I just couldn't see well.

Rinkles posted:

Lol Amazon CS is such a crapshoot. First guy says he needs someone else to make the decision, second guy says I can't get the difference back, but offers to cancel the order. I thank him but say I'll do it myself.

When I try to, the system says the cancellation isn't guaranteed to work. So I contact them again. The new person asks me not to cancel, and offers to give me the $20 difference when I get the package. This sounds a little sketchy, but they send an email confirming the offer. Apparently I'm just supposed to bring it up in chat when I get the monitor. I have my doubts it'll be that straightforward.

Predictably, it wasn't straightforward. They said the person was not authorized to promise me the price difference, and didn't want to honor it. But after some nagging they eventually relented.

Funnily enough, at first they actually wanted to refund the whole monitor because according to their system it was lost. But besides not wanting to engage in fraud, I didn't want the delivery guy to get in trouble.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Attempt #3 at buying a 34" ultrawide. Here is what "Factory Certified New Item in Original Box" gets you from Amazon Marketplace:

The monitor would have been in perfect cosmetic condition, but the dinguses who packed it didn't cover the base of the stand, leaving the paint rubbing up against the inner cardboard structure of the box for the entire 2,500 mile trip, ruining the finish. I hope the seller is flexible in dealing with this because a replacement stand is neither cheap nor easy to come by, and it's a long trip back.

...and that's assuming I can take care of the other problem this has. The backlight bleed on this monitor isn't actually all that bad, but the off-axis glow is pretty intense in the bottom left corner at this monitor's intended viewing distance (2.5-3.5 feet). Further away, it's much more tame, but that doesn't count for anything because this is a monitor, not a TV. I should point out that all of this is happening at 30% brightness and is noticeable in daytime conditions, so I'm definitely not fishing for defects by blacking out my room and cranking the brightness.

Right now, Dell warranty support doesn't even acknowledge this monitor exists no matter what unique identifier I throw at it. It has a manufacture date of March 2020 and the warranty is 3 years, so hopefully this is just a matter of calling them and getting this monitor's information entered so I can proceed. If not, the whole thing is off and the monitor will have to go back. I wonder if they still cross-ship like the last time I did a warranty claim on an Ultrasharp product back in 2013.

Also, following up on my HDMI sleep mode troubles from the previous U3415W I tried: they happen on this monitor too with every cable I already own. However, this time, the monitor came with a full complement of cables, including HDMI. This one is much thicker and the connectors have a much more snug fit, and I'm happy to report that it goes to sleep properly with this one. So it was my cables before--all three of four of them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How does it look in an actual environment and not on a big black command prompt? I would just get a monitor arm anyways or buy a new base online - im sure there are tons. I know at work we have a bunch sitting in the office cause everyone uses arms.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I thought about getting a monitor arm eventually, but this damage still affects the value of the monitor, which I find especially relevant since I just bought the thing. As for the IPS glow, I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't apparent in real world usage. It's hard to ignore during dark scenes in games or when watching pillarboxed 16:9 content fullscreen.

If I can establish that Dell warranty support can get me a replacement, I want to see if I can negotiate a $75 partial refund from the Amazon seller so I can find a replacement stand (which go for about that much). It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, though. I don't want to start an exchange with the current, damaged stand and risk Dell sending back a B-grade replacement monitor because that's what they felt matched the cosmetic condition of my current one. I also don't want to end up in a situation where Dell sends me an advance replacement and then find out my only recourse with the seller is to return the current monitor.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zorilla posted:

Attempt #3 at buying a 34" ultrawide. Here is what "Factory Certified New Item in Original Box" gets you from Amazon Marketplace:

The monitor would have been in perfect cosmetic condition, but the dinguses who packed it didn't cover the base of the stand, leaving the paint rubbing up against the inner cardboard structure of the box for the entire 2,500 mile trip, ruining the finish. I hope the seller is flexible in dealing with this because a replacement stand is neither cheap nor easy to come by, and it's a long trip back.

...and that's assuming I can take care of the other problem this has. The backlight bleed on this monitor isn't actually all that bad, but the off-axis glow is pretty intense in the bottom left corner at this monitor's intended viewing distance (2.5-3.5 feet). Further away, it's much more tame, but that doesn't count for anything because this is a monitor, not a TV. I should point out that all of this is happening at 30% brightness and is noticeable in daytime conditions, so I'm definitely not fishing for defects by blacking out my room and cranking the brightness.

Right now, Dell warranty support doesn't even acknowledge this monitor exists no matter what unique identifier I throw at it. It has a manufacture date of March 2020 and the warranty is 3 years, so hopefully this is just a matter of calling them and getting this monitor's information entered so I can proceed. If not, the whole thing is off and the monitor will have to go back. I wonder if they still cross-ship like the last time I did a warranty claim on an Ultrasharp product back in 2013.

Also, following up on my HDMI sleep mode troubles from the previous U3415W I tried: they happen on this monitor too with every cable I already own. However, this time, the monitor came with a full complement of cables, including HDMI. This one is much thicker and the connectors have a much more snug fit, and I'm happy to report that it goes to sleep properly with this one. So it was my cables before--all three of four of them.

I bet a melamine sponge would clean that up.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Duck and Cover posted:

I bet a melamine sponge would clean that up.

Or take the paint clean off. Dell doesn't exactly use a thick coat when making these.

Edit: or if you're implying that the marks are just embedded dirt, no, they're abrasions and scratches. Some of the heavier ones appear to have gone deep enough to expose the bare plastic.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 9, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

I need to get my hands on an apparently very loving niche adapter
I need to convert from the proprietary, 13-pin Atari ST video port to something modern like VGA, DVI, I don't really give a poo poo what as long as it plugs into a monitor.
Having colour is a requirement as the vast majority of ST software won't run on monochrome displays (otherwise I wouldn't need an adapter in the first place, I have the monochrome monitor)

I did find an ST to SCART adapter (which I was then planning to plug into a SCART to DVI adapter) but I learned that the 520ST isn't compatible with it, only the 520STF

There's also the option of just hooking up an old TV to it with a coaxial cable, but I don't have any laying around, and I don't feel like dropping a hundred bucks on one from EBay.

Zhang San
Feb 20, 2018

Any views/recommendations on getting a triple 1440p setup vs one ultra wide?

I am stuck at work with a dual monitors, a 1080p and 1900x1200 which I am thinking of spending my own money on to replace.

I don’t like duals because of the symmetry aspect - staring at a bezel or otherwise having one off at the side, and this is all about productivity, no gaming, with multiple word docs emails mainly so don’t care if it’s 60hz. Tempted to go all out for a triple set up but worried it’s overkill so interested in anyone’s pros/cons of doing that.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Zhang San posted:

I am stuck at work with a dual monitors, a 1080p and 1900x1200 which I am thinking of spending my own money on to replace.

I don’t like duals because of the symmetry aspect - staring at a bezel or otherwise having one off at the side, and this is all about productivity, no gaming, with multiple word docs emails mainly so don’t care if it’s 60hz. Tempted to go all out for a triple set up but worried it’s overkill so interested in anyone’s pros/cons of doing that.

I'm using three 27" QHD and it's an absurd setup but I love it. I like having separate monitors that I can switch inputs on to change what I'm doing at any given time (game pc, work pc, console).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

The brightness was high by default, but that wasn't the issue because I quickly turned it down. It was straining in the sense that I just couldn't see well.
The black levels are pretty poo poo on these IPS gaming panels so everything is kind of washed out in dark scenes on my Dell too. Even bringing brightness all the way down only helps a little, so that's probably just how it is.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zhang San posted:

With multiple 27" I'd consider having one portrait, it's very useful for documents and code and if you've got multiple monitors you still have a second landscape for traditional content

I had two landscape and one portrait which was great, but I've moved back to two landscape to have them on an arm with a standing desk

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well gently caress it since my last post seems to have gotten about 0 responses assuming because nobody has any fuckin idea

where can i get a cheap colour CRT tv (or monitor with a coaxial input)
and i do mean cheap

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hbag posted:

well gently caress it since my last post seems to have gotten about 0 responses assuming because nobody has any fuckin idea

where can i get a cheap colour CRT tv (or monitor with a coaxial input)
and i do mean cheap

Might be more folks in the know in the retro gaming thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I can't quite find the right ClearType settings for this M27Q (is there another interface besides the tuner that gives you samples to choose from?), and some elements seem not to be affected by it all (like Chrome's tab titles).

Mounting it upside down is supposed to fix the issue (since you're inverting BGR back to RGB), but apparently doing so adds lag. And I wonder whether the controls account for that orientation.

e:looks like it's less of an issue at 125% Windows scaling

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 9, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rinkles posted:

But more importantly... I still have the "dark scene" issue. I'm duplicating the output to an LCD tv, so I can compare them next to one another. Put simply, I can see details on the TV I can't on the monitor. If I move the black equalizer up a level they become pretty similar. :shrug: Sorry, I know I keep droning on about this, it's just driving me a bit insane. Not sure what I'm gonna do.

Wait wait, your reference all this time is a drat TV? There's a good chance the issue you're seeing is due to TV color crush. By default, there's a floor below which everything is black and a ceiling above which everything is white, and your GPU does some messing with colors to compensate for this. I'm not going to write a huge post on it but do some googling on TV color range and how to address it with an AMD or Nvidia GPU, whichever you're using. Generally speaking it is fixable, but how you may wish/need to do so depends on the various parts of your setup.

Chrome does its text rendering in a way that ignores cleartype. I think you need to go to chrome://flags and disable Accelerated 2D canvas, but that may not be a good solution.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 9, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Wait wait, your reference all this time is a drat TV? There's a good chance the issue you're seeing is due to TV color crush. By default, there's a floor below which everything is black and a ceiling above which everything is white. I'm not going to write a huge post on it but do some googling on TV color range and how to address it with an AMD or Nvidia GPU, whichever you're using. Generally speaking it is fixable, but how you may wish/need to do so depends on the various parts of your setup.

No, I didn't even have the TV when I was complaining about the LG.

quote:

Chrome does its text rendering in a way that ignores cleartype. I think you need to go to chrome://flags and disable Accelerated 2D canvas, but that may not be a good solution.

Thanks, I'll check. Going to higher scaling mostly gets rid of the issue too.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

TheDK posted:

I'm using three 27" QHD and it's an absurd setup but I love it. I like having separate monitors that I can switch inputs on to change what I'm doing at any given time (game pc, work pc, console).

I'm probably going to do another 27'' Asus ProArt display after the one on the way arrives.

My setup will be - Proart, dell gaming 165hz, Proart - with my 22HD cintiq below.

At some point if/when I have the budget to do so, I want to replace the 22HD cintiq with a new larger drawing tablet display though. Like a 24 inch or even potentially, a beastly 32 inch.

Edit: The 1440p ProArt display arrived today!

It is an open-box markdown sale so the only difference is the stuff was taped up.

Nothing was scuffed. No damage no scratches. Perfectly fine display. I have it set up and I'll let people know how it goes. Gonna see what monitor software I might need to install.

Also as with the other gaming display I got, this one has additional accessible USB-hub - so yet more USB multitasking options. :dance:

I definitely think I will be getting another one of these babies to replace my 1080p as planned.

Edit 2: The first difference I immediately noticed is how easy af it is to read small text from a ways away.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 9, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

I can't quite find the right ClearType settings for this M27Q (is there another interface besides the tuner that gives you samples to choose from?), and some elements seem not to be affected by it all (like Chrome's tab titles).

Mounting it upside down is supposed to fix the issue (since you're inverting BGR back to RGB), but apparently doing so adds lag. And I wonder whether the controls account for that orientation.

e:looks like it's less of an issue at 125% Windows scaling

I've had the same challenges with a few different monitors honestly. In fact I still have the problem with my 83A when I use the HDMI from my laptop vs DP from me desktop. Text seems wrong no matter what I do from the laptop, but perfect from the desktop over DP with the exact same settings within windows?

I did find that playing with the sharpness setting had a pretty big impact on my desktop, but nothing seems to fix the laptop output.

Monitors suck, sorry I know this post probably wasn't helpful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looks like nuWindows windows aren't affected by ClearType settings either (I know the tuner is working, because with file explorer the difference is stark).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
drat, that seems to be much more common of an issue than I expected it'd be. Major oof on my part. :saddumb:

Sorry dude, seems like you're never going to find a monitor you're happy with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

K8.0 posted:

drat, that seems to be much more common of an issue than I expected it'd be. Major oof on my part. :saddumb:

Nah, I appreciate all the advice the thread's given me. Thanks. This does seem like an improvement over the LG, otherwise.

I wonder what the reason is for going BGR in the first place.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It is kinda funny though how a site like HU can have a 15 minute video review full of technical analysis, yet fails to notice such a simple but crucial aspect of the monitor. And RTings despite noting the issue still gives it high marks for text clarity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Looks like nuWindows windows aren't affected by ClearType settings either (I know the tuner is working, because with file explorer the difference is stark).

What graphics card are you using? I saw something similar with my 980 Ti and a new monitor with high refresh rate which my older card couldn't handle due to an older version of DisplayPort. I updated the carsc firmware that supposedly added support for newer DisplayPort, but that didn't fix the problem. If you check my posts in this thread you should see it. So yeah, I'd check that, try a lower refresh rate, or possibly try new cables. Just a thought.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

What graphics card are you using? I saw something similar with my 980 Ti and a new monitor with high refresh rate which my older card couldn't handle due to an older version of DisplayPort. I updated the carsc firmware that supposedly added support for newer DisplayPort, but that didn't fix the problem. If you check my posts in this thread you should see it. So yeah, I'd check that, try a lower refresh rate, or possibly try new cables. Just a thought.

I have a 970, but I'm pretty sure it's the BGR layout that's at fault, because the text that's affected by the Cleartype tuner looks much better--- the Windows Settings text simply doesn't change when you adjust the tuner. Additionally, this didn't happen with the LG (and this is using the same cable), and you'll find other people different cards have the same problem online.

Just to make sure, I switched to 60hz, but I didn't see an improvement.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Wow, so, uh, buyer beware. If you buy a Dell monitor from anybody but Dell themselves and its service tag doesn't match anything in their records, the only way you might be able to proceed is if you try to register the product first so they can get it on file and have the service tag turn up something. Doing this requires the order number from when it was purchased brand new. Guess what piece of paper almost nobody holds onto. Convincing people to keep the box is hard enough.

I've asked the seller, but considering they are a business that likely deals in volume, there is no way they would have that information on hand. Between the stand damage, panel glow, and an invalidated warranty, looks like this thing is going back to Canada.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zorilla posted:

Wow, so, uh, buyer beware. If you buy a Dell monitor from anybody but Dell themselves and its service tag doesn't match anything in their records, the only way you might be able to proceed is if you try to register the product first so they can get it on file and have the service tag turn up something. Doing this requires the order number from when it was purchased brand new. Guess what piece of paper almost nobody holds onto. Convincing people to keep the box is hard enough.

I've asked the seller, but considering they are a business that likely deals in volume, there is no way they would have that information on hand. Between the stand damage, panel glow, and an invalidated warranty, looks like this thing is going back to Canada.

Return it and buy a new 34" from Dell. The newest version is on sale on dell.com, and while the on-sale price still stings a bit, you get an actually new and most likely pristine monitor, and if there's anything wrong with it, they'll cross ship you a new one with very little fuss.

Or you can keep going, I'm sure you'll be able to find a gem in some bargain bin somewhere in the end :downs:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
If it's the P3421W for $655 that you're referring to, that's pretty the same conclusion I arrived at. Going from 27" to 34" isn't the monumental, workflow-altering upgrade that going from one 22" monitor to two was, so it's hard to justify something that costs more than triple what I paid for my current monitor. I may have some thinking to do.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zorilla posted:

If it's the P3421W for $655 that you're referring to, that's pretty the same conclusion I arrived at. Going from 27" to 34" isn't the monumental, workflow-altering upgrade that going from one 22" monitor to two was, so it's hard to justify something that costs more than triple what I paid for my current monitor. I may have some thinking to do.

Counterpoint: it's literally the thing you stare at when you use your computer for however many hours you spend in front of it each day, and good monitors tend to last (nearly) forever :v:

Personally I'd go for a 38" UW over a 34", but they're even more expensive, heh.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I don't know what the rest of your system is like but I agree with Wibla, $650 isn't really an unreasonable amount of money to spend on a monitor IMO. It's more than most people spend and it's well into diminishing returns, but it's a component that's very likely to outlast the rest of your system, quite possibly twice over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Noticed a very annoying issue with the Dell 2721dgf. I had my desktop connected through DP and laptop through HDMI. Last night my desktop was on but with the video output off (or whatever it does when you set "turn off monitors after xy minutes"). So the monitor was showing content from the laptop through HDMI. I put it to sleep and went to bed, thinking everything will shut itself down. But it never did, it just kept showing a black screen (aka grey) the whole night.

Any ideas what's up with that? The only option seems to be to either switch the input source to DP through the menu, or just turn it off manually. Or maybe wake up the desktop, which will cause it to switch inputs (possibly) and then wait to turn off.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I want to buy a new monitor to replace my 10-15 year old Samsung 2443BW which is a TN screen. I use it mostly for office work and sometimes a bit of gaming. No fancy, state of the art triple A games, think Diablo 3 and Counter Strike or something.

So screen size is way more important and ideally I can keep using it for the next decade. I was thinking about getting a 34" curved 1440 screen but not sure if it's smart to go for a 120/144/160Hz screen and if I should look at IPS or if VA is fine for my use case as well. I was eyeing the LG 34GN850-B which doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere right now. Any thoughts on this?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

LochNessMonster posted:

I want to buy a new monitor to replace my 10-15 year old Samsung 2443BW which is a TN screen. I use it mostly for office work and sometimes a bit of gaming. No fancy, state of the art triple A games, think Diablo 3 and Counter Strike or something.

So screen size is way more important and ideally I can keep using it for the next decade. I was thinking about getting a 34" curved 1440 screen but not sure if it's smart to go for a 120/144/160Hz screen and if I should look at IPS or if VA is fine for my use case as well. I was eyeing the LG 34GN850-B which doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere right now. Any thoughts on this?

The abundance of 34" ultrawide VA monitors on the market is bizarre to me because it seems like the worst possible application of that technology. VA panels are great for televisions because their downsides are not apparent from several feet away and when watching cinematic content, but in a desktop capacity, they're headache-inducing to me. When you're only a couple feet away from it, anything that isn't dead center is going to get washed out. This is only made worse in an ultrawide format because a considerable amount of display real estate is going to be viewed from an oblique angle. In games, any benefits from high refresh rate are going to be more than negated by the excessive amount of motion blur inherent in VA panels.

If you're planning on using this for productivity, definitely go IPS. The ability to read text easily from all portions of the screen without eye strain is going to be really important.

I am also shopping for a 34" ultrawide at the moment, and I've found that many of the LG models are slightly cheaper, but Dells have much better stands, use internal power supplies instead of bricks, and ports that face down instead of straight out of the back. Although my recent experience with Dell's warranty service hasn't been great, it has to be better than what LG, Samsung, MSI, etc. are offering, so that would be something to consider as well.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I had some really bad experiences with Dell support so I’m going to avoid that.

Good to know that I should keep ignore VA and just stick to finding an IPS screen. As you said, there are so many of them I started wondering if I was dismissing them too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've had one of the more pricier Samsung VA monitors and found it really good :shrug: I knew it's a meme at this point in this thread but I wouldn't discount every VA monitor in existence like it's some rule of thumb.