Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

my turn in the barrel posted:

Just threw 2 butts on my 18.5 WSM.

My signals/billows decided it needed a firmware update which took an hour of fiddling to accomplish but now there is a share live cook feature.

https://cloud.thermoworks.com/shared/wOzjY9x1Ql74FLBqczg6

Both were still slightly frozen in the middle which isn't ideal but we'll see how they turn out.

drat, you’re nailing that 225. Good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

drat, you’re nailing that 225. Good work.

I'm cheating.

The billows is the fan add on that makes the signals into a pit controller. So aside from running out of charcoal or opening the lid it's foolproof.

I think I posted in this thread last summer when I bought it and made the vent adapter from a catfood bowl.

I also gasket taped the doors on my 2 18.5 WSMs so the only thing to screw up would be getting the top vent set so there is the right amount of constriction for the billows to have control of the fire. Seems like anywhere between 1/8-1/2 open works great from previous cooks.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

but now there is a share live cook feature.

...that is pretty awesome

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I finally got a smoker a couple months ago just in time to move somewhere that doesn't allow grilling. loving poo poo

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I finally got a smoker a couple months ago just in time to move somewhere that doesn't allow grilling. loving poo poo

You can get internet access in hell?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm moving and while they new place technically allows electric devices on the balcony, if anyone complains I'll have to pull it. Can't say I won't be mad if I have to get rid of it and stop smoking.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Just threw 2 butts on my 18.5 WSM.

My signals/billows decided it needed a firmware update which took an hour of fiddling to accomplish but now there is a share live cook feature.

https://cloud.thermoworks.com/shared/wOzjY9x1Ql74FLBqczg6

Both were still slightly frozen in the middle which isn't ideal but we'll see how they turn out.

That UI is solid. I was between the Smoke + Billows and the Fireboard. I went with the Fireboard Drive using a BBQ Guru Pit Viper Fan and it has worked out really well too.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Apparently it poo poo the bed early this morning.

Temps curves hadn't changed in a few hours and I got suspicious. Butts were both around 140 and pit was 225 for several hours.

Tried unplugging a probe and no change on the device so I tried turning it off and on again.

Now the pit and meat temps were all around 90f so the device itself must have frozen but the part syncing to the cloud just kept reporting the last readings. It was in the teens or 20s outside last night so possibly that caused the issue.

Has been working fine since I restarted it. But the meat is just now getting back to where it was when the temp readings froze.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Apparently it poo poo the bed early this morning.

Temps curves hadn't changed in a few hours and I got suspicious. Butts were both around 140 and pit was 225 for several hours.

Tried unplugging a probe and no change on the device so I tried turning it off and on again.

Now the pit and meat temps were all around 90f so the device itself must have frozen but the part syncing to the cloud just kept reporting the last readings. It was in the teens or 20s outside last night so possibly that caused the issue.

Has been working fine since I restarted it. But the meat is just now getting back to where it was when the temp readings froze.

Is that safe to eat anymore since it started frozen in the middle and then went up to 140 but down to 90 for who knows how long?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Core temps were over 140f for an hour before cooling for a few hours. Not likely to kill me but between winter and covid I'm ready to ride eternal smokey and chrome.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm doing two costco butts tonight. Neighbors want some in exchange for tomatoes, other neighbors just want some. I aim to please.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Took a couple packaged corned beefs from Sam's, soaked them in water overnight. Immersion cooked for 15 hours at 140. Then threw them in an ice bath for an hour, rubbed with black pepper and coriander. Smoked with apple, cherry blend and it was the best damned pastrami EVER!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

twit666 posted:

Took a couple packaged corned beefs from Sam's, soaked them in water overnight. Immersion cooked for 15 hours at 140. Then threw them in an ice bath for an hour, rubbed with black pepper and coriander. Smoked with apple, cherry blend and it was the best damned pastrami EVER!

How long did you smoke them for? I need pastrami.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
gently caress sake. Ordered a new thermometer for my smoker (the old one had cracked over winter) and its not got the adapter to fit even though its clearly pictured on the product.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Olpainless posted:

gently caress sake. Ordered a new thermometer for my smoker (the old one had cracked over winter) and its not got the adapter to fit even though its clearly pictured on the product.

More like oladapterless

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

life is killing me posted:

More like oladapterless

Managed to smash something together with a bunch of spaces and washers. It fits and feels solid. It'll do.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Olpainless posted:

Managed to smash something together with a bunch of spaces and washers. It fits and feels solid. It'll do.

What brand was it?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Lavalock. 3 inch face.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LavaLock-T...9098&psc=1&th=1

You can see the fitting on the picture but not with the product... Small print doesn't say it has it included though. Just an m8 thread and bolt.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 6, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Going to get a Kamado Joe at the Costco roadshow soon. Anyone know the prices and accessories they have or any bundles? Any must have accessories? Probably going to get it on a Friday and it's my birthday on Sunday. Would be fun to make a brisket but I've only ever made one once on a propane grill which might be recipe for disaster. Maybe could make a butt on Saturday for practice before the brisket but then I'll have like 20 pounds of meat? I've made that once on a different kamado style grill but it had one of those temp regulators with a fan.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 8, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Going to get a Kamado Joe at the Costco roadshow soon. Anyone know the prices and accessories they have or any bundles? Any must have accessories? Probably going to get it on a Friday and it's my birthday on Sunday. Would be fun to make a brisket but I've only ever made one once on a propane grill which might be recipe for disaster. Maybe could make a butt on Saturday for practice before the brisket but then I'll have like 20 pounds of meat? I've made that once on a different kamado style grill but it had one of those temp regulators with a fan.

Pick up that FoodSaver vacuum sealer at Costco too, and then 20lb of pork butt is a blessing and not a curse.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Pick up that FoodSaver vacuum sealer at Costco too, and then 20lb of pork butt is a blessing and not a curse.

Looks like there's one for $150 and one for $80. I'm seeing recommendations for other ones that are cheaper on sites like wirecutter. Any tips?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Looks like there's one for $150 and one for $80. I'm seeing recommendations for other ones that are cheaper on sites like wirecutter. Any tips?

I got the $150 when it was on sale for like $100 and it's great, but I typically like Wirecutter recs so if they suggest a cheaper one I'd go with that.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
All the Costco roadshows are off their site now. They just added them a few weeks ago so that's concerning.

Anyone have anything to say regarding Classic vs Big Joe? It's only two of us unless my parents are here. I do have a number of local friends. I see lots of recommendations to go big.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Kamado accessories:
-Some way to start your fire (don’t use lighter fluid). I use wax/paper cubes or a paper towel with a little canola on it
-welders gloves of super duty grill gloves. All you guys should have them they’re great
-pretty sure Joes come with a heat deflector for smoking and a pizza stone but make sure you have one
-check out ceramicgrillstore for others. Some sort of teiring system is good

Joe’s are great and I think come with most of this stuff. Practice your first day dialing in like 250 or 275 and letting it sit. Once you dial in a temp and vent settings, the ceramic does a good job holding it. So if you overshoot during light up and let it sit, it s a bitch to get it back down to temp. If you can get it to do that, then fuckin go for it dude.

YouTube’s got lots of great guide videos. I still use them for my egg.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I've always heard people say to always go the largest bge/joe. If I was getting one, I would definitely get the big one. I wish I got the biggest WSM too since I make as much as I can whenever I smoke things and shove most of it in the freezer for later

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The bigger ones aren't efficient for grilling since you need to use a whole lot more coal and it takes longer to heat up. But maybe for smoking that's not a problem.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Tomfoolery posted:

The bigger ones aren't efficient for grilling since you need to use a whole lot more coal and it takes longer to heat up. But maybe for smoking that's not a problem.

I think I've read people just use a small chimney starters worth and they can still do small grills. I'll have to look into it more. Hard to imagine I'd need the big one but with so so many people saying to go for it, there must be some reason. Looks like the classic fits a full brisket, sometimes needing to lay it on a rib rack. I'm not making brisket for two people though and it would feed a bunch. Same for pork.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

KingKapalone posted:

The models with the hatch that lifts is far better than the one you (attempt to) stick the end of the plastic into to trigger it. Simple is better.

KingKapalone posted:

All the Costco roadshows are off their site now. They just added them a few weeks ago so that's concerning.

Anyone have anything to say regarding Classic vs Big Joe? It's only two of us unless my parents are here. I do have a number of local friends. I see lots of recommendations to go big.

IMHO, bigger is easier to keep the temp consistent.

Tomfoolery posted:

2 different tools for 2 different jorbs.

KingKapalone posted:

. Hard to imagine I'd need the big one but with so so many people saying to go for it, there must be some reason. Looks like the classic fits a full brisket, sometimes needing to lay it on a rib rack. I'm not making brisket for two people though and it would feed a bunch. Same for pork.

Get a vac sealer and enjoy leftovers from frozen. A sous vide to reheat with takes it to the next level.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 9, 2021

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Here's my first attempt at pastrami from scratch. I had a full packer brisket in my freezer so I decided to use the point for some burnt ends and cure the flat for corned beef and then pastrami.

Process for the Pastrami:

• I followed this recipe pretty closely for the cure and let that sit for 6 days flipping it two times throughout.
  • After the 6 days, I removed it from the cure, rinsed it and let it soak in water for about 4 hours
  • Rubbed with coarse ground black pepper, coriander and mustard seed.
  • Smoked in my WSM at 225-250 over oak and apple for ~10hrs until it hit 203. Wrapped at 165 in butcher paper.
  • Rested for 3-4 hours wrapped in a towel in a cooler until we were ready to eat.

Overall, I was pretty happy with it for a first go at pastrami, but I'd like to dial back the salt a little bit and I like salty food. I'm not sure if that had more to do with the cure or maybe I should have soaked it longer like overnight. It still made for an amazing sandwich on homemade sourdough with swiss, black pepper mayo and a light slaw:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I desalinated my pastrami for a full day. 4 hours seems short.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

um excuse me posted:

I desalinated my pastrami for a full day. 4 hours seems short.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that was my mistake, but I was running short on time and needed to get it on the smoker. It's definitely still edible but I'll plan on overnight or 24hrs next time.

Do you also only use the flat? I'm curious about doing a whole packer to get the point/fatty part of the brisket, but almost every recipe online recommends just the flat.

Random Hero fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 9, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I slammed a whole packer through the process. I did end up separating them to remove the fat layer between them and get more of that barky goodness. The thickness is what drives the pickling time so I doubt anyone would want to add a week for the sake of saying they used an intact packer.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 9, 2021

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you’ve got the space and time to spare, equilibrium brining is the way to go. Guaranteed perfect salt and cure ratio, it just takes longer. Like, I let my full packers go 12 days.

Phone posting, but the tldr is that you put the exactl %salt and cure you want in the meat, and account for water. Example with wrong but simple math. 5000g brisket +5000g water = 10000g total. 275g salt and 2.5g pink salt is 2.5% and .25%. Given long enough, meat and water will reach equilibrium and you are perfectly seasoned/cured. You can also do this dry in a vac bag for faster/no rinse and a firmer texture.

More info out there.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
At our local grocer yesterday I saw "point end" corned beef packs. Man but I wish I could just buy plain old points.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I noticed my local HEB sells both flats and points separated but they are more expensive per pound than a full packer so I don't know when I'd buy those. That HEB sells choice/prime/wagyu/grassfed and "fully trimmed" packers on top of those separated pieces. I was pretty surprised to see that selection. CostCo still beats their prices by about a $1/pound though on the prime.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Hey so I have a friend, whose a little slow, and he wants to know if he can kill two birds with one stone and burn some accumulated leaves and twigs in his verticals smoker to clear out some mold spores in said smoker.:chef:

It’s not me asking. It’s definitely someone else.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Hey so I have a friend, whose a little slow, and he wants to know if he can kill two birds with one stone and burn some accumulated leaves and twigs in his verticals smoker to clear out some mold spores in said smoker.:chef:

It’s not me asking. It’s definitely someone else.

Not for sure but there’s some trees you can’t burn in a fireplace, like some soft woods for instance, so stands to reason you might not wanna burn it in your smoker. Creosote/soot might not be awesome for your smoker and if you don’t know what the twigs and leaves are from, probably also not awesome

What’s wrong with just smoking something in it?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Grab a bundle of wood at a gas station, grocery store, or random guy selling them in front of their house and just run that. Alternately if this is more about disposing yard waste, look on craigslist or Facebook marketplace for someone selling steel drums. They're like $20.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

life is killing me posted:

What’s wrong with just smoking something in it?

I want to get it nice and hot to kill off any microbes clinging to life in there.

Regular old firewood seems like the best solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I want to get it nice and hot to kill off any microbes clinging to life in there.

Regular old firewood seems like the best solution.

Yeah, not a good idea to burn any old whatever in there, burn something you can identify for sure. Regular firewood would be plenty fine