Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ah jesus

However, the ordeal has cast a long shadow. During her time making TV show Angel, on which she appeared from 1999 to 2004, Carpenter would set off for work under cover of darkness. ‘I’d go to work at 4am and would have to leave my house to get to my car in the middle of the night,’ she explains. ‘I’d have to talk myself down from the panic that would set in that came from thinking someone would attack me. ‘It would be impossible to have an experience like that and for it not to leave long-lasting impressions. It’s like if you’re a pedestrian and a car swerves off the road and hits you. It doesn’t mean you never walk along a street again but you’re more aware and alert.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2013/10/02/charisma-carpenter-you-can-have-a-good-life-even-after-something-terrible-happens-4130335/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Wtf was her workday like jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Shageletic posted:

Wtf was her workday like jesus
She’s not alone. A few years ago a cast member of Riverdale was seriously injured in a car accident when he fell asleep at the wheel. The cast had been asking for drivers to pick them up and drop them off because they were on set from like 5 AM until 9 PM.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/riverdale-star-late-night-car-crash-working-16-hour-day-1041899

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 5, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

She’s not alone. A few years ago a cast member of Riverdale was seriously injured in a car accident when he fell asleep at the wheel. The cast had been asking for drivers to pick them up and drop them off because they were on set from like 5 AM until 9 PM.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/riverdale-star-late-night-car-crash-working-16-hour-day-1041899

Do these folks get OT? That's a 15 hour workday.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Union and background do. Shoots are often long hours. Actors generally have set rates unless their contracts are claused.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What does this change?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soon-Yi_Previn

Age wise, saying she was 20 instead of 21 doesn't mean anything. The relationship is hosed up for contextual reasons, I don't see how that difference makes it more gross or less gross, it's the same amount of gross.

The primary reason for the disagreement about the dates is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Allen_sexual_abuse_allegation#Relationship_with_Previn
I mean...that's kind of my point. That they ignore or blanket deny the things with the most convincing evidence, even if it doesn't change much.

(That said, I don't exactly blame Mia for trying to get the adoptions invalidated, especially since it DOES look like she was right about the timeline.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shageletic posted:

Actors are usually salaried, so ineligible for OT if their contract doesn't include it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It did gently caress him up when it happened, but a) "technically legal" matters to a lot of people b) something being a media shitstorm in the early 90s is totally different than a media shitstorm in the 2020s c) the fact that he remained in that relationship and that she defends him and her own autonomy means that as time goes on it's easier to go "eh, maybe it wasn't so bad."
See Anthony Anderson somehow being a sitcom dad and game show host on ABC despite multiple rape allegations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Actors are usually salaried, so ineligible for OT if their contract doesn't include it.

TV is pretty infamous for having horrible work schedules, it's the nature of getting hours and hours of TV ready to roll on a schedule.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

See Anthony Anderson somehow being a sitcom dad and game show host on ABC despite multiple rape allegations.
Looking at Wikipedia to refresh my memory, and I had no recollection of there being 2 separate accusers back in 2004. When I was younger and dumber, I remember being under the impression that he had been exonerated in some very convincing way, but that doesn't appear to be the case. But I also have this memory of him falling off the face of the earth while fighting the charges and then reappearing not long before he was cast on Law & Order even though it looks like he worked continuously the whole time.

At any rate, it seems like he's someone where the follow-up reporting was lacking and so everyone forgot about it? That seems to be a common thread for a lot of celebrity sexual misconduct cases that already had public elements but then got forgotten about.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Timeless Appeal posted:

Game show host WITH HIS MOM!

The Riverdale story is crazy. lovely news programs have car service, why not goddamn money factories like that show?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Remulak posted:

The Riverdale story is crazy. lovely news programs have car service, why not goddamn money factories like that show?

It's inexcusable. Acting is hard work, and when you're doing that poo poo 15 hours a day you're going to be exhausted. The studios should be required by law to provide transportation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's inexcusable. Acting is hard work, and when you're doing that poo poo 15 hours a day you're going to be exhausted. The studios should be required by law to provide transportation.

It also makes it sound like they're paying the cast so little that just getting an Uber would be a difficult expense for them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Remulak posted:

The film in Vancouver to save money, not to spend it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It also makes it sound like they're paying the cast so little that just getting an Uber would be a difficult expense for them.

Pay rates for shows get weird and exploitative. Some actor on Daredevil said he was basically homeless and couch surfing while filming for S2 and the whole process basically cost him money in the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

Pay rates for shows get weird and exploitative. Some actor on Daredevil said he was basically homeless and couch surfing while filming for S2 and the whole process basically cost him money in the end.

That's loving exploitative as hell and I worked in restaurants.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

https://screenrant.com/daredevil-season-2-nobu-recast-peter-shinkoda-lost-money/

That was the guy who played Nobu.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This likely has as much to do with Jeph Loeb being a moron as anything, and speaks to how badly Netflix Marvel in particular was mismanaged.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interview with the documentarians behind Allen v. Farrow - the most interesting part is that a lot of the videos and documents they accessed were genuinely never before shared. They weren't inaccessible, just no one went looking.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/03/how-allen-v-farrow-obtained-the-dylan-farrow-home-videotape.html

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This likely has as much to do with Jeph Loeb being a moron as anything, and speaks to how badly Netflix Marvel in particular was mismanaged.

More to do with him only playing Nobu when there wasn't a mask or martial arts involved. Which was like 10% of the characters screen time. The producers definitely oversold the role to him and his agent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s crazy that they have $50,000,000 for one comedian’s hour long stand up special but don’t have $5,000 for an actor on what was easily the biggest show in the world for at least a whole summer.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s crazy that they have $50,000,000 for one comedian’s hour long stand up special but don’t have $5,000 for an actor on what was easily the biggest show in the world for at least a whole summer.

He did it for free - what kind of idiot would pay him?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1368934543013650432

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

KitConstantine posted:

Interview with the documentarians behind Allen v. Farrow - the most interesting part is that a lot of the videos and documents they accessed were genuinely never before shared. They weren't inaccessible, just no one went looking.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/03/how-allen-v-farrow-obtained-the-dylan-farrow-home-videotape.html
They also explained this (in less detail) on the episode that aired last night, part 3 of 4. For those who haven't read the article or seen the episode, it would appear that the bulk of the "new" documents were in the storage area of a law office. (They don't name the lawyer in question, which makes me wonder if it's Alan Dershowitz.) There weren't any details about how contact was made, but my assumption is that it was one of Mia's lawyers, she had never seen the bulk of the docs but was legally entitled to them as the client, and she got them for the documentary crew, not necessarily realizing just how much previously unreported information was in there.

One of the really striking things to me about last night's episode, though, was how much archival footage they had of (mostly local) news coverage of everything with Paul Williams, the NYC child welfare investigator on the case. He believed Dylan and advised his superiors that Allen needed to be charged. Then the case got stalled, he got fired, he sued to get his job back and won, and his supervisor quit, telling the documentarians that after the Allen case she felt like she was discriminating against minority families because of the disparity to what happened to Allen. But here's the thing: All but that last part were public. They even had a clip of Williams telling a TV camera something like "I can't talk about it, but I believe the little girl." This is a thing that was all over the news at the time and everyone just forgot and/or didn't do enough research, especially since Allen has repeatedly claimed that the NYC investigation "cleared" him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's some pretty damning stuff in there, and the Paul Williams story deserves to be heard more (and thankfully more people are now talking about it) but I do wish the documentary was better made. Anything talking about this movies and stuff is a little questionable in parts and outright wrong in others.

Film critics talking about how Allen 'normalised' these kinds of relationships through his movies to the American public as though half the nation was rolling out to see INTERIORS. Or most recently the amazing claim that his movies were bringing so much money to New York that Dinkins was just a phone call away to Allen like he's putting everything on hold for the Director of ZELIG. It feels like it wants to portray Allen as some Tinseltown power player at times but it feels sloppy.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Oh no, what did Paul Williams do? :ohdear:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Oh no, what did Paul Williams do? :ohdear:

Not that Paul Williams, the lawyer Paul Williams. I think.

EDIT:

davidbix posted:

Paul Williams, the NYC child welfare investigator on the case

Or that.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 9, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
everybody hates duckvoice duck

https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/1349791405741375498

okay I just noticed the date but somehow that story got like no traction

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

okay I just noticed the date but somehow that story got like no traction

I heard it mentioned offhand when people were talking about that trainwreck of a movie. The problem is that there's not much of a point to it. Awareness only matters if the targets or the potential future audience are capable of feeling shame. Given all the other dumb edgy stuff they did for the movie they'd probably love the "cancel culture" attention anyway.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

DrVenkman posted:

There's some pretty damning stuff in there, and the Paul Williams story deserves to be heard more (and thankfully more people are now talking about it) but I do wish the documentary was better made. Anything talking about this movies and stuff is a little questionable in parts and outright wrong in others.

Film critics talking about how Allen 'normalised' these kinds of relationships through his movies to the American public as though half the nation was rolling out to see INTERIORS. Or most recently the amazing claim that his movies were bringing so much money to New York that Dinkins was just a phone call away to Allen like he's putting everything on hold for the Director of ZELIG. It feels like it wants to portray Allen as some Tinseltown power player at times but it feels sloppy.
I mean...someone clearly tried to shut down Williams' investigation, though, to the degree that they succeeded in doing it. Maybe they went a tad too far with the Dinkins connection, but the underlying sentiment is in line with the evidence presented.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I also don't know if "the director of Zelig" is a fair representation of the influence he had during the height of his career, though Zelig was extremely well-received. Annie Hall, Manhattan, and Hannah and Her Sisters were all fairly major hits, not to mention his earlier comedies, and even into the 90s he was still highly regarded. As recently as 2011 he had decent success with Midnight in Paris (Ebert called Allen a "treasure of the cinema" in his review).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DrVenkman posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo? How old are you? Woody Allen was one of the most well known, influential, and well connected directors for decades. Yeah his star has faded in modern times because of the whole marrying his daughter thing, but that dude was absolutely a power player for a long time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess I can forgive someone outside the Hollywood bubble not giving a poo poo about Allen's output, but pretty much anybody who's anybody has done an Allen movie.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've seen one Woody Allen film. I thought it was poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I've seen one Woody Allen film. I thought it was poo poo.

Even if there weren't all the other issues, like 1/3-1/2 of his movies are just genuinely not good.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Even if that were so it'd be a better batting average than most directors. Woody Allen the very bad man can still be a good filmmaker, it doesn't have to be that he's bad at everything because he's a very bad man.

(edit: um, just to be clear, I have no interest in watching any more Woody Allen films)

indiscriminately fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 10, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

indiscriminately posted:

Even if that were so it'd be a better batting average than most directors. Woody Allen the very bad man can still be a good filmmaker, it doesn't have to be that he's bad at everything because he's a very bad man.

(edit: um, just to be clear, I have no interest in watching any more Woody Allen films)

As mentioned earlier a lot of his material deals with the kind of person he is and the kinds of relationships he has.

But yeah it's not like Chinatown or the Tate murder makes Roman Polanski not a bad person.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
being human garbage doesn't automatically mean you make bad movies, Woody Allen is just a double threat

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, "death of the author" and all that, with artists like Woody Allen it's kind of hard to separate the man from his work because it's all written in his voice or else he's literally the star of the movie. You can ignore Roman Polanski's connection to Chinatown or Rosemary's Baby and just enjoy the films on their own merits, but it's kind of hard to ignore Woody Allen's ties to Annie Hall when he's right there on screen and you're wanting to punch him. Same for the first two seasons of Ren & Stimpy (the "good ones"). That's John K's voice and his personal demons laid bare on screen, if you laugh at his jokes you're laughing with a child predator. I mean maybe you can look past it, I personally can't.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean “separating the art from the artist” is considerably different if the artist is also the main actor and the movies are absolutely flooded with his sexual psychosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I own midnight in Paris. I’ll wait till he’s dead to watch it again.