Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Thanks for the reminder about Avenue 5, I missed it while it was new and I'm halfway through binging the whole season now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Days Like These was a remake of That 70s Show that was so bad, they never tried anything like it again.

Every time anyone tries to recapture that magic they fail to see what made the show good had nothing to do with the 70s and just vomit references. That 80s Show was such garbage.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

CW couldnt even get americans to watch Taskmaster a show that is much better than WILTY and I love WITLY. Not sure why they think this will work. Panel shows arent a thing here anymore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DurosKlav posted:

CW couldnt even get americans to watch Taskmaster a show that is much better than WILTY and I love WITLY. Not sure why they think this will work. Panel shows arent a thing here anymore.

I thought the US Taskmaster was Comedy Central? That's where I saw it air, anyway.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

END ME SCOOB posted:

I thought the US Taskmaster was Comedy Central? That's where I saw it air, anyway.

It was, but then CW tried to air the UK one over the summer and it failed as well.

quote:

In the United States, The CW acquired series 8 and 9 of Taskmaster for a late-Summer run premiering on 2 August 2020. However, the series opened to extremely low viewership (in comparison to the Canadian import, Fridge Wars, which premiered the same day), and was consequently pulled from the network's schedule on 5 August.

So now we're like the only country in the world without Taskmaster in some form.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 9, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I watched Taskmaster on CW Seed the next day, without an ad blocker mind you. I did all I could.

Edit: I mean on the main CWtv site. It obviously didn't get moved to CW Seed until a few days after the dreadful numbers came in.

oh jay fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 9, 2021

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Good news is that most of the episodes are up on the official Taskmaster youtube page for people to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT5C7yaO3RVuOgwP8JVAujQ

If anyone has somehow not seen the show yet its amazing. I feel in love with it in season 1 episode 1, first task that wasnt a prize one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would I Lie to You could be great as an American show. If the right producers got ahold of it and cast the right comics. But that would never ever happen. Tap into the indie comedy scene and get UCB LA folks and you're golden. Neil Casey vs Jon Gabrus would be incredible. But the mainstream would never care. Best case scenario they get Hodgeman.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

You would need to find some really amazing team captains for it to work. A large part of what makes the show work is Lee Macks quick wit and David Mitchells ranting. Also the comedy scene here in the US seems to a be a whole different beast than the one in the UK. Outside of working the clubs comics there get a lot of tv shows or panel show appearances to make a name for themselves, theres nothing really like that here.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

You would need to find some really amazing team captains for it to work. A large part of what makes the show work is Lee Macks quick wit and David Mitchells ranting. Also the comedy scene here in the US seems to a be a whole different beast than the one in the UK. Outside of working the clubs comics there get a lot of tv shows or panel show appearances to make a name for themselves, theres nothing really like that here.

Like series 5/6 David Mitchell is talking about his flat in London he shares with roommates. This was well into the worldwide success of Peep Show.

The culture of panel shows just doesn't exist in America because you aren't going to get American celebrities to do that kind of thing. They'd basically have to tap and recruit any American comedians working the EU circuit and try and entice all the Canadian/AUS comedians to come to LA to film a single episode of a show.

Re: the US "comedy" scene, it's pretty much 90% white male douchebag comics who are either alt-right or play the truth in the middle card.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Panel shows aren't even any good in the UK i have no idea why people keep trying to import them. Love to see D-list comedians scrambling to come up with a quip when presented with randomized prompts. It's like amateur improv night, only everyone's too lazy to stand up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the sole reason people love them is that they give us the chance to hear David Mitchell rant about something. Also QI is fun trivia—though their podcast No Such Thing as a Fish is better than the show ever was.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Every time anyone tries to recapture that magic they fail to see what made the show good had nothing to do with the 70s and just vomit references. That 80s Show was such garbage.

I think the big reason that happens, is because "70's" was part of the title. Yes, it took place in the 70's, but that functioned more as a backdrop, as the core of the show was fairly universal for just about any decade before smartphones became ubiquitous. There were certain beats, that were based on historical events, but they didn't function like references, and served to move characters and plot forward.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just checked out a clip of Taskmaster. Looks like a Korean game show with the high level TV production and weird asks of its guests. With a significant less amount of physical damage to the participants.

you can't do that poo poo with American celebrities.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's all comedians, they'll do anything, even American ones.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm caught up with Taskmaster on YouTube (8 complete seasons) and I'm bummed out now, it was my go to for a while now. Last year I watched enough David Mitchell and Lee Mack Would I Lie to You clips that they started repeating. Any other shows like them to look for on YouTube?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

bagrada posted:

I'm caught up with Taskmaster on YouTube (8 complete seasons) and I'm bummed out now, it was my go to for a while now. Last year I watched enough David Mitchell and Lee Mack Would I Lie to You clips that they started repeating. Any other shows like them to look for on YouTube?

8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown perhaps. Its pretty good, but not as much as Taskmaster or WITLY though.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

bagrada posted:

It's South Korean rather than from the UK, but episodes of "The Genius" are readily available with subtitles all over the place. It's got the same vibe of celebrities/comedians being asked to play games for points, except pretty much everyone on that show is ridiculously intelligent and the backstabbing and conning one another are some world-class entertainment?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The stuff with Jimmy Carr is funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rarely true.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Rarely true.

I like when other people make fun of him.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Rhyno posted:

I like when other people make fun of him.

Especially the tax evasion jokes, those are always gold.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Rarely true.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1369257911495647234

Paul Scheer coming in blind and watching/reacting to the first and last episodes of Dexter was an absolute trip.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown perhaps. Its pretty good, but not as much as Taskmaster or WITLY though.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

postmodifier posted:

It's South Korean rather than from the UK, but episodes of "The Genius" are readily available with subtitles all over the place. It's got the same vibe of celebrities/comedians being asked to play games for points, except pretty much everyone on that show is ridiculously intelligent and the backstabbing and conning one another are some world-class entertainment?

I saw the first season a few years ago when it was brought up here in couch chat. I'll have to go back to look for more.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/JoeOtterson/status/1369347501820641280

Guess I'll check it out because Chloe Bennet is great but I never watched the cartoon and this feels like a step down from AoS :/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1369257911495647234

Paul Scheer coming in blind and watching/reacting to the first and last episodes of Dexter was an absolute trip.

This is really good. Also there are some plot developments I forgot about (I blocked the whole Deb and Dex thing they talked about).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sirotan posted:

Guess I'll check it out because Chloe Bennet is great but I never watched the cartoon and this feels like a step down from AoS :/

Same. I have no real interest in the show but I'll follow Bennet for at least a pilot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sirotan posted:

Yeah, Bennet owns and I am glad she still gets some roles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone didn't click on the link and was wondering, Chloe Bennett is Blossum, Dove Cameron is Bubbles and Yana Perrault is Buttercup.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Please cast Clark Gregg as Professor Utonium and Brett Dalton as Mojo Jojo.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

bagrada posted:

There are foreign versions of Taskmaster you could try and seek out. The New Zealand version is a good place to start because it's in English, and also it's 100% original tasks (most of the foreign versions reuse proven tasks from the UK edition some amount of the time). The other versions are floating out there with fan-made translations. Kongen Befalen (Norway) and Stormester (Denmark) are my go-to versions.

Since the US version was a bust, I'm really holding out for Taskmaster Canada or Taskmaster Oz...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

postmodifier posted:

The Genius is fascinating. Sometimes the games lean too heavily to one side or the other but usually they figure out good challenges that have both a tactical and a social component. So it's figuring out the trick and then either selling it to others or trying to mislead them.

My favorite is a game of Mafia from season ... 3 I think where the "good" team got control but suddenly realized they had a winning plan if they lost the game. The "losers" would win if they guessed the mastermind of the other team, and thinking they were certain to lose the "bad" team accidentally stopped trying to hide theirs.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Please cast Clark Gregg as Professor Utonium and Brett Dalton as Mojo Jojo.

Lisa Kudrow for professor utonium. She can do that perfect mix of kind and warm but also insane and smart very well

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

There are foreign versions of Taskmaster you could try and seek out. The New Zealand version is a good place to start because it's in English, and also it's 100% original tasks (most of the foreign versions reuse proven tasks from the UK edition some amount of the time). The other versions are floating out there with fan-made translations. Kongen Befalen (Norway) and Stormester (Denmark) are my go-to versions.

Since the US version was a bust, I'm really holding out for Taskmaster Canada or Taskmaster Oz...

That reminds me I could look for Australian Survivor as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Panel shows aren't even any good in the UK i have no idea why people keep trying to import them. Love to see D-list comedians scrambling to come up with a quip when presented with randomized prompts. It's like amateur improv night, only everyone's too lazy to stand up.

Since they cancelled Buzzcocks I think Mock the Week & HIGNY are the only shows going on nearly 20 series, I'm pretty sure they get all the prompts ahead of time to come up with material. HIGNY isn't even a comedy show it's more like a news discussion with occasional jokes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is kind of older news but Adam Savage's Youtube channel put up a bunch of videos where he took questions about Mythbusters.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
New season of Good Girls!!!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

pentyne posted:

Since they cancelled Buzzcocks I think Mock the Week & HIGNY are the only shows going on nearly 20 series, I'm pretty sure they get all the prompts ahead of time to come up with material. HIGNY isn't even a comedy show it's more like a news discussion with occasional jokes.

It's all so boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

bagrada posted:

That reminds me I could look for Australian Survivor as well.

The Tribe Has Spoken on Facebook either have the episodes, or have links to them for people that don't want to use a VPN to watch on the Australian on Demand sites.