Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
On-ly Dai-sy Cot-tage Cheese will dooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What the gently caress. I was not ready for that at all.

:same:

That's some demonic curse poo poo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
If I see/hear the Go-Big Show ad with the acoustic guitar lady singing "Drop It Like It's Hot" one more time, I'm going to stab myself in the eardrums with knitting needles.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
There is this loving commercial on loving hulu that's for grubhub, a terrible company. Anyway it's got these godawful Dreamworks reject characters dancing around and eating and it makes me want to die. Ok, thanks for reading.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dreamworks rejects is a very apt description and probably encapsulates why I hate that commercial so much. The smugness kills me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Speaking of wanting to die: Ty Pennington is apparently in need of some extra cash, so he's cutting ads for the Virginia Lottery where he bellows "GOOOOD MORNING, VIRGINIA!" It'd be great if I never had to hear him yelling at the top of his lungs again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wendy's has a commercial for their new Jalapeno chicken sandwich that compares it to the Big Mac for some reason.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That's a low tactic: attacking an innocent bystander. The Chicken Wars are getting out of hand.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's really bizarre because it shows dumb Mcdonald's executives being excited at the idea of an extra bun in a burger as a new thing. The Big Mac has been around for over fifty years.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I’m not even sure why Wendys is trying to gently caress around with another one when they already have the GOAT fast food burger joint spicy chicken sandwich

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think it's pathetic whenever a fast food chain decides to go after McDonald's in a commercial. It makes them look bush league.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I think it's pathetic whenever a fast food chain decides to go after McDonald's in a commercial. It makes them look bush league.

Any fast food place that takes potshots looks stupid because none of them do things that differently. Like when Popeyes was throwing shade at other restaurants seafood selection by showing the "other guys" in freezers while the Popeyes spokeslady is standing on a dock talking to (actors pretending to be) fishermen. Trying to imply that Popeyes' seafood is fresher somehow even though they also just use frozen.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's a new Allstate ad where a guy's singing about his savings - and the hood ornament joins in. Something about the animation on the hood ornament is profoundly disturbing to me.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
loving same.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I always think this about Pepsi. Coke never says they're better than Pepsi. They're just Coke, an unassailable juggernaut. They don't need to try to say they're better because you already know that they are.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Sash! posted:

I always think this about Pepsi. Coke never says they're better than Pepsi. They're just Coke, an unassailable juggernaut. They don't need to try to say they're better because you already know that they are.
Believe it or not, back in the late 80s/early 90s Coca-Cola used to run ads touting that Diet Coke was better than regular Pepsi which...made absolutely zero sense since they were comparing apples to oranges

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

All booze are very bad, but bourbon ads are just absolutely insufferable. Especially this new breed of "smooth, classical coolness" that they're trying to portray.

Like the one for Wild Turkey has a dude calmly talking about how he calls it "hot spice" or something. "You don't have to like it, it's not very everyone, but you know it when you like it."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The AirBnB commercial where they play Dolly's "And I Will Always Love You" over pictures of a dog make me think it's another ASPCA ad and not a "stay at a stranger's home" ad.

And there's another ad, for what I don't even know, but as the camera pans down a block of houses, it plays some old timey song where some elderly sounding woman sings about birds "swimming" in the sky. God, I hate that ad.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I want jingles to come back. Ban twee covers of pre-existing songs, ban variations of pre-existing songs, ban pre-existing songs altogether -- reintroduce jingles to the masses.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

I want jingles to come back. Ban twee covers of pre-existing songs, ban variations of pre-existing songs, ban pre-existing songs altogether -- reintroduce jingles to the masses.

That's how you end up waking up with "do do a dollop of Daisy" stuck in your head, though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That70sHeidi posted:

That's how you end up waking up with "do do a dollop of Daisy" stuck in your head, though.

Thanks to my roommate this morning I have "we buy any car dot com, we buy any car dot com, any, any, any" stuck in my head today

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
gently caress, it just occurred to me that Kars 4 Kids is also a jingle.

Is it more annoying than twee bullshit? I'm honestly not sure.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Iron Crowned posted:

Thanks to my roommate this morning I have "we buy any car dot com, we buy any car dot com, any, any, any" stuck in my head today

This song is from a Tim and Eric skit and nothing can convince me otherwise.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

And now you've passed it on to meeeeeee. Like an "It Follows" sequel for jingles instead of sex.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That70sHeidi posted:

And now you've passed it on to meeeeeee. Like an "It Follows" sequel for jingles instead of sex.

At least you know what you must do now

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think though that a lot of songs that we grew up with that we thought were jingles were actually just covers. I only found out like 6 months ago that the famous Skyline Chili jingle is just a cover of some old 50’s song by the Platters.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
They still do jingles, you just forget them until something triggers them in your mind. You hear the word "farmers" or "liberty", or "buy" and "car" in the same sentence, and your brain is off to the races. They're just not as involved as they used to be.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

gently caress, it just occurred to me that Kars 4 Kids is also a jingle.

Is it more annoying than twee bullshit? I'm honestly not sure.

They took an existing song and bolted the lyrics onto it. I don’t think that counts as a jingle. But it is for sure one of the most annoying things to ever exist.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Agreed on jingles if only my 4 year old will stop walking around singing "oh oh ohzempic!" You'd think he could also read because he recognizes logos that are just stylized text like Academy or Kroger

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
No, no jingles. This is how we get those loving cable company songs where they take the phone numbers and jam it into a song with no regard for meter and flow.

"Dial 1-800-543-7-6-5--2"

Is that what you want?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Two three hundred empiiiiiire

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I still remember the mailing address for Nick in the Afternoon because it was set to a song. Jingles are both a great joy, and an inescapable hell.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cemetry Gator posted:

No, no jingles. This is how we get those loving cable company songs where they take the phone numbers and jam it into a song with no regard for meter and flow.

"Dial 1-800-543-7-6-5--2"

Is that what you want?

It works for Scruff...McGruff,

Chicago, Illonois.
6-0-6-5-2!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

YeahTubaMike posted:

Nick Jr. Face posted:

On-ly Dai-sy Cot-tage Cheese will dooooo

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Also "NAPA know-how" was a top-tier jingle

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
18-hundred-M-A-T-T-R-E-eh-us!!

Now THAT'S in your head

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Help, I've fallen down the Meow Mix rabbit hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AWCk7HlG4o

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Did anybody else have VHS tapes of commercials from, like, the 50s and 60s when they were growing up? Someone got them for my parents and I watched them a lot and know a few jingles that weren't being used by the time I was born because of it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Did anybody else have VHS tapes of commercials from, like, the 50s and 60s when they were growing up? Someone got them for my parents and I watched them a lot and know a few jingles that weren't being used by the time I was born because of it.

I have an Abbot and Costello VHS that was released with commercials intact, so to this day I still sing "Halo everybody, Halo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Speaking of commercials from the 50s and 60s:

https://twitter.com/twothickscoops/status/1363009267142447107?s=19