Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I feel like you could have had David's character complete an emotional growth journey without Blando Blanderson. :shrug:

Yes, but they went with Blando. It was fine. I agree he was very much a character that existed to put on the brakes. A lot of Skyler hate in BrBa was because she was perceived as putting on the breaks. I disagree with that and never really got that argument. But I feel like I understand it better now, post-Schitt's Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If anyone is looking for a new show to binge, check out Avenue 5. Easy to binge, renewed for season 2, and topical with this quarantine....

Rewatching the airlock episode. I haven't laughed that hard at a scene in a long time.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We finished Wisting over the weekend. It's a solid slow-burn Scandinavian crime series set in Norway (we couldn't find English audio but it may exist). The two main protagonist are a seasoned police inspector and his daughter who's an investigative reporter. The season was 10 episodes but it resolved one mystery and turned to another about half-way through so it felt like two seasons. Carrie Ann Moss featured heavily in the first half as an American FBI agent. I don't think it breaks any new ground but if you like heinous crimes and snow, it might be for you. Looks like s2 is in the works.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
About halfway through the second season of The Good Place. Expected it to be better based upon how many people recommend it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Update: I'm into Season 5 of Bojack Horseman now. It's a very good show, and an extremely easy binge. I don't know that I find it revolutionary or anything, but I feel like it would've made my Top 10 list most years if I'd watched it in real time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

how many tv shows do you watch that making the top 10 of any given year is even an accolade?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

how many tv shows do you watch that making the top 10 of any given year is even an accolade?

Enough that whenever I post my list in the end-of-year threads I usually have to cut down from 25 or 30 legitimate contenders, plus whatever other nonsense I watch that falls outside of that status.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Watched the first episode of Chernobyl earlier tonight and I'm on the second one now. My face is permanently affixed into a :gonk: expression.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

kaworu posted:

Watched the first episode of Chernobyl earlier tonight and I'm on the second one now. My face is permanently affixed into a :gonk: expression.

That first episode is loving insane and it only gets worse from there.

I finished season 1 of Ally McBeal last night. It’s turned out to be a funnier show than I remember, outside of one episode featuring a trans prostitute that has aged very poorly.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Chernobyl was a good show. Made me realize how much would have to go into clean up for a catastrophe like that. The last episode really ties the story together.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I avoided Chernobyl because I have a hard time with body horror stuff, and many of the reactions I was seeing indicated that was a considerable part of it. Is that accurate?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

I avoided Chernobyl because I have a hard time with body horror stuff, and many of the reactions I was seeing indicated that was a considerable part of it. Is that accurate?

Eh... Actually, not really. I mean, in Episode 3 you see some pretty brutal makeup to portray the effects of radiation poisoning, and it was definitely disturbing and gross and difficult to watch. But to be frank, I didn't find it as viscerally revolting or offensive as (for example) say, a 1980's David Cronenberg film. And the really disturbing makeup was almost completely limited to that one episode.

And frankly, that stuff is nowhere near as flat-out horrifying and scary as the behavior of 'Comrade Dyatlov' and some of the Soviet higher-ups, and the lies they disseminate. That's what's truly horrifying about this story, the callous disregard for truth (whether that truth be scientific or personal) and the way that it resonates with our current political climate in America.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 9, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ShakeZula posted:

There’s a fair chunk of people dying painfully of radiation poisoning as you might imagine. It’s five and a half hours of tv, and maybe 10 minutes of actual graphic footage: the utter horror of the whole thing will basically render you immune to anything gory though, your brain will be going OH NO. DONT. OH poo poo NO. OH gently caress. FUUUUUUCK from almost the opening scene.

e: kinda fb

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

The worst of the “unannounced” body horror is some burns early on as well as vomiting.

And then yeah, episode 3, as mentioned, has some super heavy duty make up effects but it’s clearly telegraphed so you can fast forward right over if you so choose.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
My partner and I have been going through The Great British Baking Show (and it's Canadian counterpart) from the beginning. She enjoys it more than I do because she likes to bake but for me it's nice to watch that kind of programming that isn't drenched in pointless drama or mean-spirited competition.

Just got through The Outsider and loved it. Basically it's a well-done slow-pace police procedural show where someone is trying to catch a serial killer over the whole series but it just happens to have a paranormal aspect to it. I thought The Night Of was top-notch when it came out as well, though, so it was a given I would like this.

kaworu posted:

And frankly, that stuff is nowhere near as flat-out horrifying and scary as the behavior of 'Comrade Dyatlov' and some of the Soviet higher-ups, and the lies they disseminate. That's what's truly horrifying about this story, the callous disregard for truth (whether that truth be scientific or personal) and the way that it resonates with our current political climate in America.
Yeah, I'm not one for most body horror but I found most of that stuff pretty manageable. The part that actually makes Chernobyl hard to get through is the overwhelming sense of dread due to watching everyone try to fix an urgent problem while working under a system that refuses to acknowledge said problem is actually happening. The fact that the writer of this is involved in that Last of Us show is what makes me compelled to give it a try even though I hit burnout stage for post-apocalypse material quite some time ago.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 9, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

On this thread's recommendation I've been watching The Leftovers. I have kind of mixed feelings. The premise is interesting and it's well-written and acted but my god it's unrelentingly grim. There's not really anyone to root for either, all the characters are pretty awful people and none of them are even particularly charismatic or entertaining in their awfulness. There also doesn't seem to be much of a plot hook so far a few eps in, just a bunch of lovely people doing lovely things to each other. I'm still enjoying it enough to stick with it but it's not an easy binge, I'm only averaging an ep every day or two.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Wafflecopper posted:

On this thread's recommendation I've been watching The Leftovers. I have kind of mixed feelings. The premise is interesting and it's well-written and acted but my god it's unrelentingly grim. There's not really anyone to root for either, all the characters are pretty awful people and none of them are even particularly charismatic or entertaining in their awfulness. There also doesn't seem to be much of a plot hook so far a few eps in, just a bunch of lovely people doing lovely things to each other. I'm still enjoying it enough to stick with it but it's not an easy binge, I'm only averaging an ep every day or two.

Hold out until the second season. It's a better show and not nearly as grim.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wafflecopper posted:

Keep watching. Trust me.

No spoilers, but the second season is quite different from the first, and it absolutely takes off from there.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Started watching Deadwood, I think 4 ep in and I'm really enjoying it! I know that it got cancelled prematurely so I was wondering if it has a satisfying conclusion? I'm still going to watch it anyway because it's a real treat but I'm curious. No spoilers thou please.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

DuhSal posted:

Started watching Deadwood, I think 4 ep in and I'm really enjoying it! I know that it got cancelled prematurely so I was wondering if it has a satisfying conclusion? I'm still going to watch it anyway because it's a real treat but I'm curious. No spoilers thou please.

I mean, the the third season is a bit of a mixed bag and its conclusion isn't what the show deserved to go out on, but luckily and against all odds they managed to complete the film a couple of years ago to wrap it up more intentionally, so you'll probably do alright. Personally I'd say it's worth it for the journey even if we hadn't got the film.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Banshee was a really enjoyable, pulpy show that probably ended a season later than it should have. I'll miss some of the characters who managed to elevate the sometimes questionable-at-best material that they were immersed in. I can see why The Boys took a shot on Starr after seeing him in this; intensity is obviously not a problem with him. Now let's get that boy a rom-com!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Check out Warrior after Banshee. It's the same team.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

DuhSal posted:

That's an interesting question - I think you might be better equipped than most of us long-term Deadwood viewers to answer it, maybe.

Yes, it was canceled somewhat prematurely. But I always felt that seasons 1 + 2 were like a single unit. In any case, I was very pleased with how season 2 ended (that season finale is arguably my single favorite hour of television ever produced) and I would have been MORE than satisfied if that had been the series finale - especially in a show as sprawling and complex as that one.

But it wasn't, and there is a season 3 - and it's quite good, but one definitely gets the feeling that when Milch produced the bulk of Season 3, he was expecting a fourth season that never came through. And it shows.

What we did get, eventually, was a 2-hour film in 2019 that was very well-written, well-made, and fun to watch. But it had a definite elegiac tone. I'm hard-pressed to say how it would have felt watching the movie right after Season 3, and whether or not I would view it as a satisfying 'ending' in that context. Because to me, the Deadwood movie wasn't an ending but more like a revisiting. And it felt a bit... lacking, at the time I saw it. But I think I was somewhat unfairly comparing it to Twin Peaks: The Return when a better comparison would be something like... I dunno, El Camino, probably. And it compares pretty well there.

But I am curious as to what someone thinks watching it directly after the series, to be honest.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 10, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mu Zeta posted:

Definitely down for more Hoon Lee, even if it looks like it's a smaller role for him. Watching him and Frankie Faison bitch at each other may have been my favorite part of Banshee. Feel like I should finish Peaky Blinders first, but thank you for the suggestion - it's on the list!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Wafflecopper posted:

It's a great show but pretty drat heavy, and I could see it being hard to binge. It also has my vote for best TV soundtrack of all time.

I've started watching The Flight Attendant. Still too early to weigh in on the show but Kaley Cuoco is knocking it out of the park.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I binged the Leftovers and can confirm it's hard - especially the first season. More humor begins to show up in the second season and to me it hits a perfect stride in the third. It'll reward you if you stick with it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

We’ve just finished Behind Her Eyes and it’s excellent. Only 6 episodes as a limited series and goes to some very interesting places.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yup. The similarities in tone and pace are identical. Both very fun shows.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Warrior way more than I liked Banshee, and I quite liked Banshee and tell everyone to watch it. I guess that means I'm recommending you watch Warrior.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

nwin posted:

Ugh all done with fargo for a while. Season 3 dragged on, was boring a lot of the time, didn’t make sense other times, and man I just need a break. And that loving ending.
I loved Season 3 but the ending, really the whole season, is incredibly divisive and I have no judgement against anyone who doesn't like it. The whole season was bleak as gently caress and that ending... I remember hating it on first watch but on later watches it made sense to me and I grew to like it. The Robot Minsky was a perfect encapsulation for the entire season and how you view that tells you how you will like the season. Well acted and performed but there is never going to be a happy ending. As far as Season 4 goes? I hate to say it as I loved some of the performances and many of the actors but it is the weakest season. Not the fault of anyone in it (even Chris Rock in my opinion) aside from the guys that plotted the episodes. There is one really good jem episode in there and a few decent ones but it ended on a giant wet fart. I don't even give it credit for being deliberately unsatisfying like season 3.... it just feels low effort and muddled. You MIGHT like season 3 one day but season 4 I cannot understand anyone feeling satisfied. I'd say pass on it until you really are willing to take a chance you will regret wasting some time binging.

Zzulu posted:

Legion seemed like it had a lot of potential but it never quite got anywhere with it. All the random monkeycheese stuff never had any clever payoffs, it was just there to be quirky. *Random cow appears*
Season 1 was fine, the others less so
Not to pick on Hawley but, even as a fan of Legion, that show is so far up it's own arse it is ridiculous. Seriously pretentious and, in my opinion, worse than Mr Robot at it's most indulgent. All that said, it can be a fun ride and perfect to watch when you are high as gently caress. Season one and three are the easiest to like; although, be warned you might get annoyed by musical montages. "Peace, Love and Understanding" I felt was a bit much but was cool with the rest. "Mother" was touching as hell and a good way to end it. Season 2 is rough but I put a decent portion of that one the decision to take your main character/protagonist too far. There is taking your main lead to uncomfortable places and there is Legion. It turned a LOT of people off and understandably so. Made the whole season two just feel... draining. Still really enjoyed the show and have fond memories of Bolero, the multiverse of Davids and a bunch of little stuff from Season 1 and 3. Pretentious and a bit much at times but, if you are in the right mood, can be a nice trip. Reminds me of a guy I knew a few years back.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like Warrior way more than I liked Banshee, and I quite liked Banshee and tell everyone to watch it. I guess that means I'm recommending you watch Warrior.

Same. Also add Jett to that list of Max series watching.

Doom2020! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 10, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Youtube started feeding me Man In The High Castle clips, and its been making me consider going back to watch it after sort of flaming out in the 2nd Season based on how oppressively dark and hopeless it was, the portrayals of the villainous POV characters being a little more sympathetic than I could stomach and, you know, the then-current Presidency.

But man do the comments on those videos do a lot of make me not want to, especially when they discuss the specific things about the 4th Season that "ruined," the show. Don't want to give spoilers but I'm sure people familiar with the show can guess what about S4 upset Youtube Commenters.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Is it when they sing about Hitler's balls?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sad question posted:

Is it when they sing about Hitler's balls?

That's about 2/3rds of the way into Season 3.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've completed The Magicians.

It was a ride. Sometimes bad, but mostly good fun. By the end I was sad that I had to leave Filory and Margo (and others).

This show was basically magic heists, tests, quests, and a little monster of the week. I think it hits the peak of promising the premise in season 3. The epic quest was the most fun for me to experience. Season 4 was a bit of a drag, and I think it started picking back up in 5. I can go into detail if anyone wants to discuss, but for now I'll keep it short.

I do like how the writer's were not afraid of making major character changes. It's hard to think of another running tv narrative where the characters went through so much that didn't hit a major reset button by the end. When they bite into the peaches... come on. That's good TV right there. I was weeping. That's like Rory in Doctor Who level poo poo right there.

The amount of references do not stop. It's like they take a little bit of every famous fantasy fiction and pay homage to it in some way. It all comes together when Elliot and Margo have their talk where they spell out their plan by just talking in references with subtitles. Great scene that only works built on the strength of the characters.

I liked the first two musical episodes but by the last one I was just fast forwarding it. Would I watch it again? Probably not, but I would binge watch season 6 if you told me it came out today (and 7, 8, 9). I think they did some of the characters a little dirty (Julia gets wonked big time), but leaving them where they are you can at least imagine where things may go and that's fun.

Good time. Good recommendation. If anyone is on the fence, I would say give it until ep 4 or 5. Episode 1 suffers heavily from pilotitis.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 12, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I've completed The Magicians.

It was a ride. Sometimes bad, but mostly good fun. By the end I was sad that I had to leave Filory and Margo (and others).

This show was basically magic heists, tests, quests, and a little monster of the week. I think it hits the peak of promising the premise in season 3. The epic quest was the most fun for me to experience. Season 4 was a bit of a drag, and I think it started picking back up in 5. I can go into detail if anyone wants to discuss, but for now I'll keep it short.

I do like how the writer's were not afraid of making major character changes. It's hard to think of another running tv narrative where the characters went through so much that didn't hit a major reset button by the end. When they bite into the peaches... come on. That's good TV right there. I was weeping. That's like Rory in Doctor Who level poo poo right there.

The amount of references do not stop. It's like they take a little bit of every famous fantasy fiction and pay homage to it in some way. It all comes together when Elliot and Margo have their talk where they spell out their plan by just talking in references with subtitles. Great scene that only works built on the strength of the characters.

I liked the first two musical episodes but by the last one I was just fast forwarding it. Would I watch it again? Probably not, but I would binge watch season 6 if you told me it came out today (and 7, 8, 9). I think they did some of the characters a little dirty (Julia gets wonked big time), but leaving them where they are you can at least imagine where things may go and that's fun.

Good time. Good recommendation. If anyone is on the fence, I would say give it until ep 4 or 5. Episode 1 suffers heavily from pilotitis.

Any Elliot-centric episode was always a winner for me. The time loop episode in season 5 might be my absolute favorite.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I love how Zelda stands.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Season 4 was a bit of a drag, and I think it started picking back up in 5. I can go into detail if anyone wants to discuss, but for now I'll keep it short.

Please tell me more about how we are correct about Season 4 and how everyone else on the internet is wrong.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Cactus posted:

I love how Zelda stands.

I instantly aged 20 years when I figured out where I'd seen that actress before.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Any Elliot-centric episode was always a winner for me. The time loop episode in season 5 might be my absolute favorite.

Right? The character has charisma! I wonder where they were going with the Eliot/Todd stuff? At first I thought Todd was just trying to be cool like Eliot and then it started to seem like something more, but they didn't get around to it. Is Eliot Todd? Did Eliot cast out his self doubt and create Todd or maybe Todd wanted to be cool and fit in and created Eliot. I haven't read anything about this show online so maybe this has been discussed already. The time loop episode was great. I think that's my 2nd fav Eliot after the mosiac/peaches episode. The show had a lot of great ideas that they explored.

Cactus posted:

I love how Zelda stands.

Yeah, the hands out to the side with delicate finger placement. This show has character and the characters show it. Boom. I was hoping that her and her daughter would come together and do something cool, but after Marlee Matlin gets out of the mirrorverse, she kinda just disappears from the show.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Please tell me more about how we are correct about Season 4 and how everyone else on the internet is wrong.

Seriously? How could anyone think the opposite? S4's main problem is with Eliot. The character of Eliot is missing because the actor has to play The Monster bro. Just that one change brought the show's energy down. The entire Order/Library stuff dragged on too long and then some group of bad guys appear and disappear after one or two episodes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I instantly aged 20 years when I figured out where I'd seen that actress before.

Clearly that IS Zelda and she was watching over Peter at behest of Doctor Strange in their universe. Zelda is in the MCU. Canon.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I recently rewatched and really, really like the Season 4 musical numbers. I kinda bounced off it because I didn't connect with the songs but in retrospect it's some amazing Elliot/Margot time.

Working my way through the Leftovers season 2 and International Assassin is up next. No clue what's gonna happen but I do know people make youtube videos of themselves watching it.