Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I've always liked SHSC and the only suggestion I have is that I hope for more new threads. Good sub.

E + build pics, logs etc.

I don't care about cryptomining at all, and am glad it's not the focus of the GPU thread fwiw

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Sickening posted:

I am still of the thought that the working in IT, poo poo that pisses me off, and the ticket thread have no distinction between them and should be merged.

I dont read the "ticket" thread but what I definitely try to avoid in my life are rage rants from other people in the same field as me, which do not seem to seep into the "working in IT" thread as much.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

movax and I are discussing a lot of this feedback even if we're not replying to folks specifically just yet. Keep it coming!

Sickening posted:

I am still of the thought that the working in IT, poo poo that pisses me off, and the ticket thread have no distinction between them and should be merged.

I'm not going to lie, I'm of the same opinion and I kinda snuck in a bit about that into the OP. I don't feel strongly about it though. Maybe the montly chat thread could take their places, but I definitely don't want to be too pushy on that.

nielsm posted:

A way to "wikify" thread OPs would be nice, but even just a way to transfer ownership could help a lot of unmaintained threads like that.

SA vBulletin to Discourse migration when????
https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-is-a-wiki-post/30801

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sickening posted:

Yeah, I agree that there doesn't need to be three threads since the topics are essentially identical over time. I know it was discussed a couple of years back but I think at most two threads could work, if not just one. poo poo that pisses you off could be more for ranting and then an IT/ticket thread for general support talk might be a good division or just lump it all into one. I doubt there's too many people bookmarking only one or two of the three threads at this point. There's even a multithread culture like :yotj:.

There used to be a crypto mining thread that was fun to tease people in. I hope someone makes a new one so they can shut the gently caress about it in the GPU thread. I appreciate not having to tons of posts about cooking the planet for rare pepes or whatever the hell is going on unless I want to subject myself to it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Apoplexy posted:

There's some real irrational levels of hatred spewed towards people who coal-roll with 500 F350 pickups piped directly into orphanages, too.

Maybe be less of whatever you are being right now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Stanley Pain posted:

Okay, fine. I'll go back to my regular day of theorycrafting how to best modify a CPAP machine to forcibly eject my breath filled with COVID across a municipal gym.

I'd consider doing some middle-end 2160p gaming on my cheap-rear end HiSense 4K TV but I can't because mysteriously no video card that is better than what was commercially available 5 years ago is available. :P

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

bus hustler posted:

The moderation might be slightly too heavy handed now & catching some dolphins in its net, but before the policy was in place the Crypto people were essentially being bullied out of the thread and demanded safe harbor as well.

It's not anyone's fault if your political/economic views about crypto are in the deep minority on SA.

Nobody needs to be "respectful" of your views on this contentious and often political topic, just like the forum is generally not "respectful" of landlords. There are plenty of topics that border or fully move into the political and the forums "feel one way" about.

This never answers the question of after weeks why hasn't one of the interested parties just made a crypto thread?? If the answer is "it won't get traffic or will get bullied," well.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 9, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Stanley Pain posted:

The poster is right. If the entire concept of a thing wasn't stealing electricity and ruining the environment, it would be more tolerated.

At the end of the day, its quarantined because it NEEDS to be. What you should be more concerned with is why people want to discuss bitcoin related things so badly in the gpu thread when they can have their own spaces.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks for asking for feedback. I reviewed the threads I follow and the primary one is the keyboard thread which needs a new OP but doesn't really have any need for additional mod involvement. I enjoy the mouse thread / raspberry pi thread / overclocking thread for the same reasons.

I found out I unbookmarked the tech idiots youtube fandom thread a couple months ago because of stupid opinions.. but that's sort of the point of the thread.

I don't follow the IT threads anymore despite working in the industry, I think it's the same reason I don't follow the Intel/AMD/Nvidia threads, signal to noise ratio is very low and I can find actual news elsewhere. Not saying that as a problem that needs to be fixed, just a general observation in the spirit of feedback.

So my only concrete suggestion would be an OP refreshening I guess, keep up the good work mods

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So hey, let's all try to keep it comradely in here and keep it to feedback about the forums. Where exactly GPU/crypto-mining discussions should happen is absolutely something that has to be hashed out (:imunfunny:), and it's one of the main reasons for this thread, but again, talking about the topic itself is not what this thread is for.

This has been a great thread so far. Let's try to keep it that way.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The contention over cryptomining is that it can piggyback other topics in order to evangelize an economically and environmentally harmful practice?

e: ^sorry

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I don't post in SHSC very much but when I do there's always a ton of incredibly knowledgable and helpful people willing to answer my really dumb entry-level questions. So keep it up, great job, etc.

but ban the crypto miners

e: not sorry

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

The contention over cryptomining is that it can piggyback other topics in order to evangelize an economically and environmentally harmful practice?

e: ^sorry

No need to apologize. That's exactly what we're looking for here. Discussions about discussions on the topic, not discussions on the topic itself.

Yes, in my opinion this is the problem. It's similar to how Gamergate was all-encompassing in Games and had to be outright forbidden. I can't imagine we'd go that route here, but it's a similarly incendiary topic. I have an opinion on it, and it's pretty clear what that opinion is, but my main concern as a mod is not having the two sides of the argument create a cesspool that causes all other posters to be run off.

[Edit: Another example is how talk about Elon Musk is more or less banned from the EV or Space threads.]

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

nielsm posted:

A way to "wikify" thread OPs would be nice, but even just a way to transfer ownership could help a lot of unmaintained threads like that.

Yeah or even with the featureset we have now, a policy that abandoned threads will have the OP edited to link to a new OP further down the thread might be a good solution.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

The poster is right. If the entire concept of a thing wasn't stealing electricity and ruining the environment, it would be more tolerated.

At the end of the day, its quarantined because it NEEDS to be. What you should be more concerned with is why people want to discuss bitcoin related things so badly in the gpu thread when they can have their own spaces.

I certainly hope everyone that's complaining about bitcoins ruining the planet are either a) Vegan b) self sufficient hunters that do not rely on agri business for their meat as well as driving an electric car while wearing re-used clothing bought from a thrift shop.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

I certainly hope everyone that's complaining about bitcoins ruining the planet are either a) Vegan b) self sufficient hunters that do not rely on agri business for their meat as well as driving an electric car while wearing re-used clothing bought from a thrift shop.

Hi. This is not the thread to discuss the morality of cryptocurrency.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

SA vBulletin to Discourse migration when????

Discourse is, by far, one of the shittiest pieces of forum software I've ever had the misfortune of using.

That said, some sort of thread wiki feature would be a nice thing for SA eventually.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Yeah or even with the featureset we have now, a policy that abandoned threads will have the OP edited to link to a new OP further down the thread might be a good solution.

Hey, that's not a bad idea at all! I know some good megathreads have indexes to many useful posts in them over the years which is good.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Not a fan of users scalping hardware and posting about it in SHSC, but I don't know what the solution is to that one. Perhaps it's just me.

E - reading back that was a little while ago and it hasn't happened again. My bad.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 9, 2021

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Not a fan of users scalping hardware and posting about it in SHSC, but I don't know what the solution is to that one. Perhaps it's just me.

Are you talking about people using bots to get a card for themselves or actually scalping cards?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

I respectfully disagree, but full disclosure I only read 1 of those 3 threads. Zero interest in reading rant threads, or about helpdesk tickets.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stanley Pain posted:

Are you talking about people using bots to get a card for themselves or actually scalping cards?

Buying cards for the purpose of selling them to goons at a markup. I think they called it a finder's fee. Not a fan of it being in SHSC.

But reading back this was weeks ago.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skipdogg posted:

I respectfully disagree, but full disclosure I only read 1 of those 3 threads. Zero interest in reading rant threads, or about helpdesk tickets.

The tickets thread isn't about tickets and the rant threat has just as much ranting as the thread you do read. I get someone not reading the other two wouldn't understand their content, which is the reason I suggested it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

overall it's really good moderation. I get that the GPU thread and crypto is a shitshow. I'd only ask that if a post is technically breaking the rules but is funny, that it gets leniency in the SA tradition

Fauxtool posted:

bill gates gonna turn us into gpus confirmed

SCheeseman posted:

Combined with a form of fusion, the machines had found all the crypto they would ever need.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

For example, I've wanted to make a generic comp-arch thread for awhile so we can ingest ARM/RISC-V/archaic CPU here chat into one thread instead of split across a few different ones. I feel like the only thing stopping me from doing that is an effort-post with quick blurbs on various archs and an intro to the topic. Or -- is "hey this is the place to talk about low-level computer arch stuff, have fun!" actually sufficient? Comparing that to the threads for displays, laptops or things where a lot of goons come to get purchasing requirements / an introduction to the topic, both the up-to-date'ness of the OP becomes important and its content becomes important.

That could be pretty cool, and maybe the solution to the intro / blurb thing is to just start it and then curate good effortposts into the OP over time.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

As the OP of the Tickets thread, I would not mind if they all got merged together (and I will be happy to make a new one) but I think it might be one of the fastest moving threads in the forum.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
I mostly lurk in a few threads in this forum, but I agree with posters who have pointed out outdated OPs. When I was thinking about switching to Linux a few months ago, searching for a Linux thread and its OP was the first thing I did. Updated OPs are really handy for folks who are new to a subforum or a thread.

Someone upthread suggested a monthly chat thread and that seems like a good idea too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

kensei posted:

As the OP of the Tickets thread, I would not mind if they all got merged together (and I will be happy to make a new one) but I think it might be one of the fastest moving threads in the forum.

I think everyone said "merge them!" the last time they were restarted too, and for some reason both threads got individual reboots anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The impression I always had of those threads was that the 'working in IT' thread was intended for work-related, career advice type questions that aren't purely about certs, and the other two threads are sort of interchangeable chat threads but there are two of them because one would move too quickly.

I wouldn't be opposed to testing the theory of whether there would be too many posts for one thread though, I think people can catch up if they want, and there's yospos discord and shsc slack for the real chat-type stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Basic posts that anyone can edit would actually be real easy, but we don't track post revisions and so if someone vandalized it, it'd just be gone. Maybe a convention of including a copy of the OP as a new post when you make a significant edit would help? A proper version would definitely have to have revert capability.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I completely disagree and find it absolutely Sickening that anyone would consider merging the three threads.

While I'm not disputing that the original purpose/design of the threads has softened slightly and blended together, there's still some delineation of talking about interviews/jobs/certs/career progress going in the WIT thread, general ranting in the STPYO thread, and other ticket related slightly less ranty stuff going in the ATCI thread, and I don't feel like the relatively relaxed discussions that can happen in each thread over a page or two would happen if they were merged - there would either be too many posts in total, leading to just conversation overload, or, and I think more likely, the smaller discussions would simply get stomped by whatever major thing is being discussed.

Having the three allows a conversation to blossom and run its full course in one of the threads while simultaneous conversations can happen at faster or slower paces in the other threads - it's unusual that all three threads would be, as the kids say, popping off simultaneously, and thus you can have a fast-moving possibly controversial discussion in one of them at a time while the others have 5 posts a day about some minor ticket issue. If that were all one thread, those five posts probably wouldn't exist because the person who would have started that wouldn't have felt they could interject with something so minor while a much bigger topic is being discussed.

I look at it like a party (y'know, back when we had those, in person). You have a bunch of discussions going on all at once in a crowded room, and people can mingle and join discussions as they see fit but they're all happening at once. As opposed to a discussion group where there's one topic at a time and anyone bringing up something else is going to be pretty much ignored.

Partly this is due to the structure of SA and not having threaded discussion - don't get me wrong, I think that's a good thing and don't want threaded discussion, but having the three threads kind of allows the same state where you can have multiple conversations without them trampling on each other.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I think Bob Morales should have his own megathread.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I think an all-in-one it thread could work only if done on a monthly basis. If would easily go into the quadruple digits otherwise.

Also I do believe that while crypto is on topic for gpu, it should be contained outside as it’s too political and ends up stealing the discussion.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

keep a light touch - i don't see a need for mods to be active unless there's some general clamor for it i've been missing
SA mods have a chequered history of "improving" things

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just chiming in to say SH/SC is by and large the best place i've found on the internet to talk about stuff. Sometimes i accidently look at the WCCF comments and it is truly insane how bad it can get out there.

I echo the thoughts about taking over the outdated OPs while saving them for posterity. A big highlighted link at the top that redirects to the new OP down the thread sounds like a good solution.

RE: GPU thread moderation, although it kinda sucks to have to make a no crypto rule, frankly it has made me more interested in reading the posts. The constant arguing about the morality of crypto with zero sign that anybody was actually listening to each other was getting old. I would like the rule to stay for now, and go away whenever the bubble pops again and GPU mining fades in popularity.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

It seems like a crypto specific thread would be the obvious solution.

I here that people went in there and trolled them but like... maybe make that not allowed?

We don’t let PC fans ruin the apple specific thread.

This feels fairly similar.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 10, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Really not a regular poster or and only sporadic, but I'm absolutely stunned by the quality that's upheld in the threads.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd say the SH/SC moderation is good where it is, including keeping the GPU thread properly regulated.

About old OPs, I think just having a banner appended to them with something like "OP is outdated - check most recent pages and please ask for advice or recommendations if you don't find what you're looking for" would work.

As has already been mentioned, the threads (at least the ones I frequent) are really good about not jumping on people asking questions, and for some things the recommendations change frequently enough that maintaining an OP is less reasonable. The monitor thread is one I think has been especially good about this, but I haven't seen any of the threads I follow be unwelcoming or go all "RTFM!" on people.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Re: the GPU thread, you just can't have a sensible conversation about GPUs and their availability these days without reference to what's going on with Crypto. We are 5 months on from the launch of a new generation of Nvidia and Amd cards and they're all still gold dust and unavailable in large part because they're being snapped up by cryptominers. That means conversations about what makes these cards good or bad for mining and what the manufacturers are doing in response and what to look for in the crypto markets as a sign that miners are going to stop hoovering up all the stock are all valid and relevant conversations.

In my view the thing about standing threads, particularly ones where it can be months between real news updates relating to the core topic, is that they work best if they're allowed a bit of latitude for the natural ebb and flow of conversation to go a little bit off topic for a few days as long as its not disruptive and toxic and the conversation bounces back once there's something real to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as it stands now you are getting the modding that you asked for. People reported anything even remotely crypto and the mods responded.

Crypto discussion is generally happening when someone new pops in and brings it up. The same 3-4 people respond and it dies off. Just use the ignore function on those 3-4 people or live with the minor inconvenience of reading something you dont like.

It would help to know what the mods goals are.

If you want activity covering a broad range of gpu topics with variance of thought then less rules makes sense.

If you want an easy job of modding less posts while punishing anyone deviating from the group think, stay the course.

I already suggested mod protection of the mining thread to keep it troll-free and IE shot that down.