Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My two biggest hardons are reserved for MLM's and televangelists. I don't know if the latter really even counts as "scam" since bascially it's just shameless dicks begging for money and gullible people sending it to them but it's still just false promises and I hope there's a special place in hell for people like this.

From John Oliver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

Made worse because it's all tax free since it's a "church". poo poo really grinds my gears.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

My two biggest hardons are reserved for MLM's and televangelists. I don't know if the latter really even counts as "scam" since bascially it's just shameless dicks begging for money and gullible people sending it to them but it's still just false promises and I hope there's a special place in hell for people like this.

From John Oliver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

Made worse because it's all tax free since it's a "church". poo poo really grinds my gears.

Oh plenty of televangelists are scamers. Peter Popoff comes to mind. He used mentalist tricks to convince his flock he could faith heal. He has people who have spun off of him who likely use the same tricks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^Oh, no doubt^^^

I think they're all scammers and really the worst kind, to my mind. I just meant I'm not sure what kind of law you could implement that would label it a crime the way you can with Nigerian Prince scams and selling burn bags full of baking soda. Which, some to think of it, the latter is almost exactly what those miracle spring water and essential oils shitheads do.

drat. I started going down a YT rabbit hole and John Oliver has a ton of poo poo on scams. I'd never really watched his show before since I don't have HBO but his take downs are pretty awesome.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

yeah i quit watching John Oliver because it's really not my style of humor and politics, but I can't deny some of his segments are legitimately really informative, like the one about cops stealing poo poo

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

What's the deal with SEO service scams? They're 99% of my spam inbox and all have the same pitch of boosting website traffic or hosting/designing sites, all with a fake English name that redirects to an Indian company. What's their deal? I've been chatting with a few just to see where the scam comes actually comes in.

Here's one example: https://mediatrenz.com/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Its Happening! posted:

What's the deal with SEO service scams? They're 99% of my spam inbox and all have the same pitch of boosting website traffic or hosting/designing sites, all with a fake English name that redirects to an Indian company. What's their deal? I've been chatting with a few just to see where the scam comes actually comes in.

Here's one example: https://mediatrenz.com/

Its a poo poo product. That's the scam.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah I used to do amateur SEO for a company as like a side thing to my real job, and anybody who says they can dramatically boost your SEO rankings is full of poo poo and will get you retaliated on by google

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Thomamelas posted:

Oh plenty of televangelists are scamers. Peter Popoff comes to mind. He used mentalist tricks to convince his flock he could faith heal. He has people who have spun off of him who likely use the same tricks.
James Randi did a great takedown of him on the Tonight Show. They used a scanner to pick up the dialog on his earpiece.

Skip to about 2min to see this rear end in a top hat at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BQKu0YP8Y

hyperhazard fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 9, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you want to find someone good at boosting seo, just google 'someone good at boosting seo', it doesn't have to be complicate

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Boosting SEO is easy, getting your boss to recognize that the current SEO is poo poo and persuade them to improve it is hard. (Don't imbed all your text in images!)

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

hyperhazard posted:

James Randi did a great takedown of him on the Tonight Show. They used a scanner to pick up the dialog on his earpiece.

Skip to about 2min to see this rear end in a top hat at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BQKu0YP8Y

Good to know that Fletch Lives was actually a documentary

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Popoff is still at it too, he just laid low for a couple years after the earpiece fallout before coming back with a different miracle healing scam and is once again rich as gently caress entirely off the back of fraud.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sydin posted:

Popoff is still at it too, he just laid low for a couple years after the earpiece fallout before coming back with a different miracle healing scam and is once again rich as gently caress entirely off the back of fraud.

He's was pushing spring water from near Chernobyl for a little while.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

An oldie but a goodie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radithor?wprov=sfti1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_ore_Revigator?wprov=sfti1

Now that's what I call an energy drink!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I should have been clearer. He was pushing water he claimed was from a spring near Chernobyl, and among it's magical properties is that it could cure radiation sickness along with every other aliment. Because clearly it had the power of God. You could even test it and it wouldn't show any traces of radiation. Because the power of God and not from it being tap water from somewhere in the UK. I assume the UK because that's where he was running the scam, and why ship tap water?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

I should have been clearer. He was pushing water he claimed was from a spring near Chernobyl, and among it's magical properties is that it could cure radiation sickness along with every other aliment. Because clearly it had the power of God. You could even test it and it wouldn't show any traces of radiation. Because the power of God and not from it being tap water from somewhere in the UK. I assume the UK because that's where he was running the scam, and why ship tap water?

Well if it's not radioactive how do I know it's been touched by the power of a god??? Bull poo poo.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Also, water absorbs radiation. Nuclear power plants store their spent fuel rods at the bottom of pools, and the water at the surface is safe enough to swim in.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Konstantin posted:

Also, water absorbs radiation. Nuclear power plants store their spent fuel rods at the bottom of pools, and the water at the surface is safe enough to swim in.

Everything absorbs radiation, only contamination with radioactive particles is a problem. Water from chernobyl would be heavily contaminated.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Konstantin posted:

The best part is the fact that they note at the bottom of the article that trying to actually do this would result in a swift death from rapid onset lead poisoning!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Thomamelas posted:

The guy from EEVBlog made a couple of videos about receiving water samples from Popoff.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA

wow
wow that's good
wow
I would eat this right out of this shovel
wow
wow

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

there's the 40 minute supercut of Vic Berger's Jim Bakker's apocalypse show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw3_5AaWBlY

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Re: Posts above
lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anymore, I feel like everything is a loving scam.

I switched phone carriers, was very clear about the plan I wanted and got socked with an initial bill that was over twice what I normally pay. All in an attempt to save 5 bucks a month when I finally had to buy a new phone. Spent an hour speaking with customer service and had to threaten to cancel service to straighten it all out.

What I think happens is the salespeople at the store sell you a plan and then automatically enroll you in everything; all the top tier stuff. First guy I talked to tried to explain there was a $30 one time activation fee but I could already see that. I was reading him my itemized bill and the billing for the plan I didn't sign up for. The also spelled my name wrong so badly that they could barely find me in the system.

Badly like "Bugger Beat" bad. Telecoms are the loving worst.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
There is no scam but Capitalism, and Amerikkka is its prophet, death be upon both.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Tubgoat posted:

There is no scam but Capitalism, and Amerikkka is its prophet, death be upon both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-AMYos0Js

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Who's ready to be angry!? :haw:

Nichael posted:

Want to see what the American healthcare system spends its ludicrous profits on, instead of, you know, caring for poor people?

My mom's medical office got this box in the mail. It contains an LCD screen that plays a video about Christiana (just like Jeb! did in the 2016 primary), as well as fliers, and loving trading cards for the doctors at their hospital.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZQ83RCCh0

Like, yes, throw it on the pile, but wow!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

But we just can't afford UHC

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tubgoat posted:

Who's ready to be angry!? :haw:

Like, yes, throw it on the pile, but wow!

Maybe it's like the playing cards that get distributed to armies to help them recognize opposition leaders? These doctors are your enemies, recognize them and capture if possible, kill if not.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

But we just can't afford UHC

But look how efficient we've gotten the shenzen factory>USA>shenzen burn pit pipeline.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

Maybe it's like the playing cards that get distributed to armies to help them recognize opposition leaders? These doctors are your enemies, recognize them and capture if possible, kill if not.

Lol, no, supposedly it's to humanise doctors to patients to get them to take medical advice more seriously.

That said, we need cards as the ones you describe to recognise more billionaires and politicians; so many eldritch horrors with kill counts in the millions wander around anonymously, disguised as humans because no one knows who the gently caress they are.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tubgoat posted:

Lol, no, supposedly it's to humanise doctors to patients to get them to take medical advice more seriously.

This is the most comically transparent justification for someone in marketing deciding that this is a "fun" idea. Best case scenario the doctors having their pictures taken actually had fun doing it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

This is the most comically transparent justification for someone in marketing deciding that this is a "fun" idea. Best case scenario the doctors having their pictures taken actually had fun doing it.

According to the originating thread, it is just plain required as part of residency, lmfao.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Don't know this is a scam, but it seems weird and I'm wondering if anyone else had encountered it.

Recently, while walking around my neighbourhood I've seen parked cars where someone has stuck a large flyer under the wipers. The flyer says HEY IF YOU'D LIKE TO SELL THIS CAR CALL PETE ON 123 456. It's printed and always inserted in a protective plastic slip. Only 1 or 2 cars in a street or lot will be targeted. The cars themselves seem like nothing special - not new, not old, maybe a touch on the rundown or dirty side.

Is someone precisely targeting particular models of car that have some niche value, or is there a trick involved? Maybe this is one way of seeing if the car is neglected or not being regularly moved?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nonathlon posted:

Don't know this is a scam, but it seems weird and I'm wondering if anyone else had encountered it.

Recently, while walking around my neighbourhood I've seen parked cars where someone has stuck a large flyer under the wipers. The flyer says HEY IF YOU'D LIKE TO SELL THIS CAR CALL PETE ON 123 456. It's printed and always inserted in a protective plastic slip. Only 1 or 2 cars in a street or lot will be targeted. The cars themselves seem like nothing special - not new, not old, maybe a touch on the rundown or dirty side.

Is someone precisely targeting particular models of car that have some niche value, or is there a trick involved? Maybe this is one way of seeing if the car is neglected or not being regularly moved?

Given that only some cars got these notes:

Some used cars retain their value better than others. The ones with the notes probably had a decent resale value and Pete is hoping that he can low-ball the owner and resell it, or works for a dealership outright.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah my roommate used to have an unmodded, manual Honda Civic and he'd get like 3-4 of those a month. Two different times I was leaving for work and somebody came up to me on the driveway to ask if the Civic was my car and if it was for sale.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i used to drive a beat up old jeep comanche and the amount of attention i'd get from car/jeep guys was insane. i couldn't take it to the mechanic without some dude coming out and asking me if i'd like to sell it. i had a dude ask me one time if i would sell him the tail lights off the thing. eventually it got hosed up in an accident and then the radiator fell out and it wasn't worth fixing. even in the undrivable, rusty and ragged state it was in, some car guy still gave me my full asking price, cash, and showed up to haul it away that day. he was practically drooling over his lucky find

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is it that particular model or all Jeeps? I've seen bumper stickers that say "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't get it". And they are correct!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Jeep Guys are a thing (when i had this truck, if i made eye contact with another guy in a jeep, i'd get at least a knowing nod if not a full on 'jeep wave') and this particular model is rare - they stopped selling them in 1992. imagine a jeep cherokee but a small compact pickup, which are hard to find because all pickups sold in america have to be loving enormous i guess

seriously though it was like this every loving time i went to the shop and dudes would start asking me questions about my truck and how much it cost and if i had any plans for it and if i'd like to sell it and what the displacement is or the foot torque and i'm like i dont know! i bought it off my uncle and it sat behind his barn for years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6bPOIqwKc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
Yeah, obsessive Jeep guys are definitely a thing, especially with models they dont make anymore. At one point when I was growing up, the family car was an old Jeep Wagoneer and I remember dudes offering to buy it from my dad fairly often. Even when it got to be in terrible shape he had no trouble selling it.