Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Poopernickel posted:

I love how search for
code:
butts +poo poo
doesn't mandate that poo poo will be in the search results any more, but
code:
butts "poo poo"
somehow does.

Like who thought that was more intuitive? now how the gently caress am I supposed to add a search term with a space in it, unless I also want the term to be mandatory?

Google can eat my balls, let's bring back gopher

it's not because it's "more intuitive". google+ stole the + modifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Google+ lmao

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

add me to your circle

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

have you considered binging up your are rear end op?

i think bing started the trend of ignoring the user's search modifiers. although, knowing the bing folks, that could very well just have been an unintentionally introduced bug that's been sitting in their backlog for the last 5 years.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i do not feel strongly one way or another op. that is some nerd poo poo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

And I, poster to the YOSPOS, am not a nerd!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

it's not because it's "more intuitive". google+ stole the + modifier.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
everybody log onto the yospos google+ (an unironic thing people said)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

google+ would have succeeded if they had provided a way to migrate all the excellent content from the yospos wave onto the yospos google+.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

Google seems to rely on using your key words as they relate to trending searches and favoured (paid or expected based on history or hits) results. Key words as search terms no longer seem to exist objectively.

The old web stuff that up until even 3 years ago was easily traversed through google is gone. We're all dinosaurs here so I guess we notice it more than most.

Like others have said, its now much easier to go to specific domains to use internal searches (even including Google/Alphabet owed stuff) to find stuff rather than rely on the goog.

Its a popular search engine with a market monopoly. Its no longer designed for data retrieval, just generating hits.
This seems true

Truman Peyote posted:

the machine learning part is the most noticeable way it's gotten worse for me. it never used to arbitrarily decide that actually I'm searching for this different, more general thing
Agreed

my stepdads beer posted:

every other search engine is far worse though
DEFINITELY agreed

I tend to agree with the folks who think that it has changed to favor 'high value' pages that generate more ad revenue, although I didn't think of that when I posted the op

Winty fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 13, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

unless i search for the word 'buy' i do not want lists of webpages trying to sell me poo poo

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
google+ was about the point when i realized that google the company sucks
all that underhanded poo poo they did to get people signed up was because it was some executive's project and he wanted bigger numbers to look good. also having things you do on other sites show up as activity in google+ (like youtube comments) so they could claim to have more daily users.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I noticed a long time ago that searching "verbatim" is loving worthless.

when i was in college from like 2006 to 2010 i would google an entire sentence from my textbook and i would put quotation marks around them so i only get results that were identical to what i typed in

in the past 3 or 4 years, verbatim will give me bullshit hits that don't even have the exact loving phrase i typed in. even if i used quotation marks and/or clicked "verbatim".

this is true and it sucks

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

don’t use google use ddg even though it sucks poo poo. because google are a bunch of assholes, you see

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nice. you got owned by internet search engines.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I will say that they've gotten so good at rapidly delivering generic and general results whose answer I already know that we're at a moment where it can be faster to search a partial url and click on the first result than it is to type the full url that you knew the whole time.

Basically they've managed to reimagine the web in the way that accommodates the old people who used to go to google and type "yahoo.com" into the search bar.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i can’t remember the last time i tried to research a product and the first page of google results wasn’t entirely garbage like seo affiliate marketing blogs or tech “news”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i use a version of google that is free and won’t spy on you. it’s called the god d@mn phone book.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

let your fingers do the walking

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I look up the phone directory via google search tm

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i'll just make my own search engine with nmap, curl and grep, how hard could it be

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

El Mero Mero posted:

I will say that they've gotten so good at rapidly delivering generic and general results whose answer I already know that we're at a moment where it can be faster to search a partial url and click on the first result than it is to type the full url that you knew the whole time.

Basically they've managed to reimagine the web in the way that accommodates the old people who used to go to google and type "yahoo.com" into the search bar.

aol keywords, now with more advertisements

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

fart simpson posted:

i can’t remember the last time i tried to research a product and the first page of google results wasn’t entirely garbage like seo affiliate marketing blogs or tech “news”

similarly programming questions are as likely to get pages of seo-heavy poo poo like geeksforgeeks or w/e as they are to find useful stackoverflow answers or (god forbid) the actual documentation that explains the thing perfectly well

google is poo poo, the seo industry won and they don’t even care

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
seo is what a google engineer does (did), everything else is fraud

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Perplx posted:

i'll just make my own search engine with nmap, curl and grep, how hard could it be

nice three stooges knockoff. hope they know how to code.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Winty.

Connormgs
Sep 27, 2014
I feel like just browsing the internet is straight up impossible now, you search for something on google you get links to a million phishing sites and anything past the first page is pretty much worthless. Everything has congregated to centralized websites like reddit and facebook so how the hell do you find stuff on the internet when forums are on their last real breath and you don't want to scrooooooooool on reddit and facebook for hours? I was talking to someone the other day that agreed that browsing feels impossible but how do I go about fixing this? It feels like there's almost nothing to do on the internet itself unless you're on discord playing a game or chatting with someone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Connormgs posted:

ours? I was talking to someone the other day that agreed that browsing feels impossible but how do I go about fixing this? It feels like there's almost nothing to do on the internet itself unless you're on discord playing a game or chatting with someone.

there isn't, really. as you correctly note, everything is on facebook or reddit or pinterest or instagram or some other aggregator. there aren't just random mom-and-pop websites any more.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've been using ddg but it can suck so bad sometimes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Share Bear posted:

i've been using ddg but it can suck so bad sometimes

the nice thing about ddg is that you can easily use a deidentified (in part) google if need be without changing anything just by starting your query with !g

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
just wanna search about a product without yet another “top 10 chairs to buy 2021” listicle with affiliate links

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Sagebrush posted:

there isn't, really. as you correctly note, everything is on facebook or reddit or pinterest or instagram or some other aggregator. there aren't just random mom-and-pop websites any more.

they still exist they're just hard to find.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

just wanna search about a product without yet another “top 10 chairs to buy 2021” listicle with affiliate links

same. i am also sick of sites that are either machine generated or written by some content farm employee that doesn't understand the language and takes 500 words to say a ten word sentence. as far as i can tell, basically all sites purporting to be about a general topic (dog training, hair care, whatever) are this way

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tie-a-tie.net is still fuckin great when i can't remember how to tie a windsor knot or whatever though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Achmed Jones posted:

same. i am also sick of sites that are either machine generated or written by some content farm employee that doesn't understand the language and takes 500 words to say a ten word sentence. as far as i can tell, basically all sites purporting to be about a general topic (dog training, hair care, whatever) are this way

its insanely bad

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
please add to list of good site, thistothat.com

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

thistothat.com

loving word.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i was literally thinking of that site when i read this thread earlier

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
what are the good websites then? so i can save them to return to later.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Connormgs posted:

I feel like just browsing the internet is straight up impossible now, you search for something on google you get links to a million phishing sites and anything past the first page is pretty much worthless. Everything has congregated to centralized websites like reddit and facebook so how the hell do you find stuff on the internet when forums are on their last real breath and you don't want to scrooooooooool on reddit and facebook for hours? I was talking to someone the other day that agreed that browsing feels impossible but how do I go about fixing this? It feels like there's almost nothing to do on the internet itself unless you're on discord playing a game or chatting with someone.

SO DEMANDING posted:

this is very bad and we're watching the internet as we knew it die very slowly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

isn’t ddg just rebadged bing!?