Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Well I called that wrong. I was sure there would be a current ep spoiler named character death and that we would get a rage break.

I was expecting it too, but I guess it makes for better pacing to do the whole "explain to the audience one more time just how bad the other side is" stuff now, give everyone a cooling off period, then go "oh and by the way no they're really bad" to set up the coming action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1225933

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That was an excellent mage battle.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Grouchio posted:

That was an excellent mage battle.

Cleric battle id say hah.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Should have known better than to try and put your puny god up against Shuna's slime faith.

Also I forgot how bad Clayman's story to rally the Demon Lords against Rimuru was. Dude can puppet master the whole world, but the best lie he can come up with is, "This slime said you were all poopyheads who are bad. And then he laughed and said your mom was dumb while all his friends clapped."

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Clayman was an arrogant dumbass to the last.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Classic 'Suddenly encountering people who aren't paid to believe him' syndrome. Next he'll say he was too honourable to stop being friends with Epstein and he is unable to sweat.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

Classic 'Suddenly encountering people who aren't paid to believe him' syndrome. Next he'll say he was too honourable to stop being friends with Epstein and he is unable to sweat.

Yeah it's easy to puppetmaster people you have leverage on. Doesn't go so well when you're the guppy in a room full of sharks.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Did episode 32 leak or something?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Did episode 32 leak or something?
We were talking about the latest manga chapter if that's what your asking. I'm not aware of an episode leak.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

We were talking about the latest manga chapter if that's what your asking. I'm not aware of an episode leak.

Oh. No wonder I was confused

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
There were also some new chapters of the Trinity Spinoff as well. Won't link to the chapters and instead to the page, but DO NOT READ BEYOND CHAPTER 21

https://mangadex.org/title/38258/tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken-ibun-makoku-gurashi-no-trinity

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rimuru will keep moving forward. Until his country is safe.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The real acid test of this will be what happens next episode, but I do think this show is a little too reluctant to indulge in a darker atmosphere. Like they set the initial tone in a certain way and they're afraid to deviate from it.

Time will tell though.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 2, 2021

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this episode didn't want to dwell a week on the bad news and immediately relieved the pressure.

I'd say I was disappointed if this wasn't kind of telling that would happen since first season.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Oh they did kill a named character. Shocking. And then immediately reduced the impact. Terrible pacing.

Whatever let’s see if the show can make massacring 20k people lighthearted.

Is the girl in the story about the demon lord Millium?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh they did kill a named character. Shocking. And then immediately reduced the impact. Terrible pacing.

Whatever let’s see if the show can make massacring 20k people lighthearted.

Is the girl in the story about the demon lord Milim?
1. I do wonder why the team thought it would be good to wait an episode to drop that knowledge. Last episode should've ended with Rimuru staring into the night sky.
2. LN: Nah they play it straight
3. Yes it is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That was disappointing. Not ending on the Shion reveal last time really stepped on the toes of the rest of the stuff this time. Giving it a whole week of dwelling on the sadness changes the feeling of the sudden dangling of hope. Taking the episode break lets it feel like it isn't just an immediate fix to this problem.

Also they really fell down on adapting Rimuru's reaction. The ln and manga both had him not just stand there over her body. In the manga he falls to his knees, in the ln he's holding her in his arms, until just before Eren gets there with Milim's backstory. It felt like a real, massive setback leading to massive despair. Here, it felt like Gobuta had the bigger reaction and slime boy just kind of stood around for a few hours.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah we appear to be continuing the habit of the anime loving up the manga/novel's pretty good pacing.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Is it just me (anime only) or is the political side of Rimeru's plan really stupid? The idea that you could wipe out Falmuth's army, use their souls to become a demon lord and then ever have friendly relations, let alone make one of your followers king is totally ridiculous. If it actually turns into a fantasy version of operation enduring freedom that would be interesting, but I doubt that's what's going to happen.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Thats kinda how history worked for about 12,000 years, at least until the Feudal system got phased out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's an open question, especially without knowing more about Youm's background and how many nobles are in the army. He'd better hope to, at a bare minimum, be considered part of the class by Falmouth nobility and have some preexisting relationships.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Is it just me (anime only) or is the political side of Rimeru's plan really stupid? The idea that you could wipe out Falmuth's army, use their souls to become a demon lord and then ever have friendly relations, let alone make one of your followers king is totally ridiculous. If it actually turns into a fantasy version of operation enduring freedom that would be interesting, but I doubt that's what's going to happen.

Depends on how he does it. Falmuth did just invade and he's going to take out a full army and control their king/leaders(depending on whether or not he leaves any survivors, only needing half the souls). Additionally at the end of this he'll be a Demon Lord. This is less an Enduring Freedom situation and more a Pearl Harbor situation. If Pearl Harbor was literally awakening the actual sleeping giant god king of the US, Uncle Sam.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Since I don’t know what the anime will include, all I will say is that the plan ends up being a little more complicated than “kill army, now my friend is king”.

One thing going in his favor though is that he already set Youm up as a Champion who killed the Orc Disaster, so Youm’s already got some street cred. Plus Youm is from Falmouth so he can play up how he’s saving his homeland.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

Since I don’t know what the anime will include, all I will say is that the plan ends up being a little more complicated than “kill army, now my friend is king”.

One thing going in his favor though is that he already set Youm up as a Champion who killed the Orc Disaster, so Youm’s already got some street cred. Plus Youm is from Falmouth so he can play up how he’s saving his homeland.

This. I had written a lengthy explanation of things, bu basically there's gonna be a lot of lies, propaganda, and whatnot to smooth over a lot of what's going to happen soon. And yeah Youm is very popular with the commoners and peasantry who see him as one of their guys who became "The People's Champ™". The nobility sneer at him as some lucky upstart who stole their thunder and glory for the Orc Lord incident(keep in mind the true numbers and the evolution into Orc Disaster were obfuscated down).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

This. I had written a lengthy explanation of things, bu basically there's gonna be a lot of lies, propaganda, and whatnot to smooth over a lot of what's going to happen soon. And yeah Youm is very popular with the commoners and peasantry who see him as one of their guys who became "The People's Champ™". The nobility sneer at him as some lucky upstart who stole their thunder and glory for the Orc Lord incident(keep in mind the true numbers and the evolution into Orc Disaster were obfuscated down).

Pretty much, yeah. One of the plan's main selling points with the people is that Youm is "The People's Champ" (as you succinctly put it) and the nobles are "those assholes who got our military wiped out for nothing".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's actually a really simple plan and, to sum it all up, in the end the butler did it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The pacing of this season sucks.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah they didn't need a whole episode for this meeting. The important parts could've been compressed to five minutes.

And why did they waste time repeating the Milim backstory we'd just heard last episode?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this season, uh bad?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Grouchio posted:

Is this season, uh bad?

It's not good yet.

They're being really cheap with the animation so either the upcoming episodes are going to be amazing or they just don't have any budget this season.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Yeah they didn't need a whole episode for this meeting. The important parts could've been compressed to five minutes.

And why did they waste time repeating the Milim backstory we'd just heard last episode?

They repeated it because they didn't want to stretch the recap too far.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 10, 2021

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

8one6 posted:

The pacing of this season sucks.

It's just baffling why they cram some episodes and stretch others. Like, sure, this is a good place to end an episode, with everyone just about to go off. However to get there they made a whole episode out of 5 minutes of content while the last two have been cramming poo poo at a breakneck pace.

Especially since ending an episode on the reveal that Shion died is a much bigger and better cliff to end an episode on, but they just rushed through it at the start of another episode instead.

Are Slime Boy and his posse gonna stomp some fools isn't really a cliffhanger, we know they will we're just waiting to see how. How will Rimuru deal with the death of his friends, that's an actual cliffhanger. Especially since the whole point is for him to lose his poo poo, not just in his aura blast but in his broken doing nothingness that follows.

The action and power levels aren't the point of this property, they're a side/garnish of a story about a dude building a country of cool guys so they can have fun and eat nice things.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I've only read the manga and watched a few key episodes, but if I wanted to start the LNs right now where the manga is, what am I looking for.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Juchero posted:

I've only read the manga and watched a few key episodes, but if I wanted to start the LNs right now where the manga is, what am I looking for.

I think current manga translations are at volume 6 of the light novel.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Juchero posted:

Volumes 5 and 6

Volume 5 is the Harvest Festival and Volume 6 is the Banquet of Walpurgis. You don't need to read 5 per se, but it carries a bit more OOMPH delivery vs some of the manga.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJSHsQqINIg

MEGIDDO!

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
It looked properly vicious. Sage keeping a running tally was really chilling. I wish we'd gotten a bit more; but I'm glad that we're rolling into the Harvest Festival quickly.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tanon posted:

It looked properly vicious. Sage keeping a running tally was really chilling. I wish we'd gotten a bit more; but I'm glad that we're rolling into the Harvest Festival quickly.
The imagery I had in my head was a high budget glory with shrill orchestra; to each their own? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

As someone who hasn't read the novels or the manga, the episode title made me expect fire or explisions, not whatever this was. (Probably because I've seen the spell Megiddo Flame a ton in FFXIV)