Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Internet Explorer posted:

No need to apologize. That's exactly what we're looking for here. Discussions about discussions on the topic, not discussions on the topic itself.

Yes, in my opinion this is the problem. It's similar to how Gamergate was all-encompassing in Games and had to be outright forbidden. I can't imagine we'd go that route here, but it's a similarly incendiary topic. I have an opinion on it, and it's pretty clear what that opinion is, but my main concern as a mod is not having the two sides of the argument create a cesspool that causes all other posters to be run off.

[Edit: Another example is how talk about Elon Musk is more or less banned from the EV or Space threads.]

As a poster who has both found this subform a fantastic resource as I've rekindled my love of building PCs over the past 6 months, and as someone who has probably skirted a little too close to the line in the GPU thread with some v strong negative posts toward mining advocates (sorry!), I just wanted to weigh in! I do feel like the problem with a lot of crypto chat is it can feel kind of invasive to discussion of a hobby.

I think that's the reason tempers flare a little - the best analogy I can think of is its a bit like if you had a fine art appreciation thread, suddenly inundated with art investors advocating for buying those paintings out from museums and keeping them warehoused to let their value appreciate. Or, like another poster said, a landlord posting in a thread for renters. Obviously, GPUs are commercial products, but I think people who already feel aggrieved at the pressure cypto is putting on pc gaming as a hobby (esp. during global lockdowns) are finding it a bit of a salt in the wound situation to see posts that feel a bit like money people swooping in to make a buck via the thing they're passionate about, for reasons unconnected with that thing. I imagine for people that have been unsuccessfully been trying to buy a new graphics card for a while, it'd sting especially.

I agree that the constant arguing drags down the thread, and probably makes moderating a thread about PC graphics cards far more tedious than it has any right to be.

I also agree with the posters who say its still a topic currently relevant to GPUs and seems ill-fitting to ban that discussion from the thread. But having returned to SomethingAwful recently after a many-years hiatus, it's a WAY more civil a place than it was back in the day - so maybe in that spirit it's just the case that the people posting about cryptomining - as advocates or otherwise - could maybe after the most recent wave of probations , be trusted do engage in that conversation with a little tact and sensitivity, keeping in mind that people will be feeling v frustrated squeezed out of the hobby right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I think there are three primary threads (maybe four?) in SH/SC and I vote to keep them separate as they are now.

Otherwise they move too fast and conversations and opportunities for conversations get lost. I say that the mods do a good job here: they do a good job allowing thread details to go on for juuuust long enough before redirecting things back to IT stuff. We lead interesting lives outside of IT and I think it’s cool when some of those lives leech into these threads from time to time.

Keep up the good work! Y’all are doing good work here.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how about a car analogy? Its my car and i can do what I want with it.
If its an automotive thread and you are upset that i am enjoying my car wrong am I the bad guy?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Since I was kind of half-responsible for it, I'm curious what the mods think of the YouTube tech idiots thread. I personally like it and think that it's great we have a place to talk about the various tech youtubers at a technical level in the smaller more-informed group, but it does sometimes get pretty trashy (like someone linking thunderfoot for some reason). I'm kind of anxious it will suddenly explode in a giant drama burnout, and it might be worth just touching base to make sure that doesn't happen ahead of time.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i did not even know that thread existed. Sounds terrible, im in

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

If its an automotive thread and you are upset that i am enjoying my car wrong am I the bad guy?

If the thread is about driving cars and you want to talk about putting your car on a treadmill and converting it to run on leaded gasoline 24/7 for some kind of personal gain then yeah, pretty much.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Fauxtool posted:

You can't do what you want with a car. There are lots of things you could do with a car that would be seen as distasteful or harmful to others, which a somethingawful thread full of car people would probably feel like is dragging their hobby into disrepute (like rolling coal, or hitting pedestrians).
I suppose I'm saying that maybe a good compromise that doesn't need crypto chat to be outright banned would be for posters advocating for mining to be encouraged to read the room a little better and post with a little more compassion for people getting frustrated by the crypto squeeze.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Crypto bros deserve to get trolled, imo

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Please do not merge threads.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If the thread is about driving cars and you want to talk about putting your car on a treadmill and converting it to run on leaded gasoline 24/7 for some kind of personal gain then yeah, pretty much.

Its more like a car dealership.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I should clarify im pro allowing crypto chat.

But it should have its own thread too. So people can hate it on multiple levels.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CLAM DOWN posted:

Big mood

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arivia posted:

Since I was kind of half-responsible for it, I'm curious what the mods think of the YouTube tech idiots thread. I personally like it and think that it's great we have a place to talk about the various tech youtubers at a technical level in the smaller more-informed group, but it does sometimes get pretty trashy (like someone linking thunderfoot for some reason). I'm kind of anxious it will suddenly explode in a giant drama burnout, and it might be worth just touching base to make sure that doesn't happen ahead of time.

I can't say I've even been in the thread, which is certainly a good thing as it means it gets no reports. I'll check it out. I'm not sure I 100% understand what you're saying, but if you're concerned we'll try to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

crypto discussion inevitably devolves into a shouting match because there's no compromising between "cryptocurrency is the future" and "cryptocurrency is solving sudokus to buy heroin while the world burns"

CLAM DOWN posted:

you're my favorite mod

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 10, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Crypto currency threads should be in yospos where they belong.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Also don’t merge threads. That failed after like 2 days however many years ago that was but do make a K8s thread that methanar can be the ik of. I need that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I need to report someone for spamming the link to this thread where do I do that.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

my tiny 2 gpus mining heats my house at the same efficiency as its central heating and its 100% powered by the solar system on the roof. Nice try amigo.

Its more like putting in on a treadmill for personal gain, full stop. Which is in fact totally ok. Leaded gasoline is attributing subjective opinions about its harm to others. Its my car, the law doesnt disallow turning it into some sort of stationary dynamo despite it not being its original intended purpose.

Mining and crypto can be handled responsibly and no one in the thread was encouraging anything else.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 10, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

I need to report someone for spamming the link to this thread where do I do that.

Reported for making same joke as page 1.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

My suggestion is auto kill the mega threads after a year so the initial post(s) are forced to have something that's actually current.

The megathreads basically are only good for the last 5-10 pages and therefore repeat the same questions/answers over and over..

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Khorne posted:

The laptop thread op is pretty out of date. Intel & AMD threads seemed to stop getting updates in 2017/2018. Having up to date ops encourages new users to post and/or like the forum so there's probably value in updating them. Having real out of date ops makes the place seem abandoned even if thread regulars never check the op.

My suggestion around it would be to try to create a group of users who can discuss updating ops. I don't know where this group should assemble, but there would be immense value in building up a volunteer/group structure around maintaining any number of things on SA. That way there's not one op who vanishes and the burden doesn't necessarily fall on one person or mod to update either.

Megathreads getting a yearly redo seems to be how some boards handle it- wouldn't be a terrible idea to do that sort of thing here. See a megathread whose OP hasn't been updated in a year? Make a new one, IMO.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

as a reader the gpu thread sucks. cryptocurrencies have been the driver of the gpu shortage for... 6 months? more? and it hasn't changed so why talk about it continuously since.

the scalping sucked too. post about it in gbs or... coupons? wherever people post about their antisocial hustling activities.

Fauxtool posted:

my tiny 2 gpus mining heats my house at the same efficiency as its central heating and its 100% powered by the solar system on the roof. Nice try amigo.

you should look into a heat pump

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if no one steps up when you shut it down then you will end up diverting that traffic until you just have one megathread for all topics. How do you enforce a new OP being made if no one volunteers?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fauxtool posted:

Its more like putting in on a treadmill for personal gain, full stop. Which is in fact totally ok. Leaded gasoline is attributing subjective opinions about its harm to others. Its my car, the law doesnt disallow turning it into some sort of stationary dynamo despite it not being its original intended purpose.

Mining and crypto can be handled responsibly and no one in the thread was encouraging anything else.

Lol

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’ll be the OP if I get ik

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hifi posted:

as a reader the gpu thread sucks. cryptocurrencies have been the driver of the gpu shortage for... 6 months? more? and it hasn't changed so why talk about it continuously since.

the scalping sucked too. post about it in gbs or... coupons? wherever people post about their antisocial hustling activities.

you should look into a heat pump

It has been about 6 months and it has been changing constantly. Its always bad but sometimes its worse and there are reasons why. You wouldnt know that because the topic has been supressed.

No, an electrically powered heat pump is not more efficient than a pc operating in the room you want heated. Even more so if you already own the PC. Its capable of more work, but that is not needed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I also think megathreads are usually fine, and the suggestion I made above about adding a note to outdated OPs largely addresses it.

I mean, sure, in a perfect world the home networking thread OP would be more recent than 2011, but the thread itself is still serving its purpose. As long as thread regulars are helpful than the relevancy of the OP really isn't a huge deal as I see it. The nature of a lot of tech is that it moves fast anyway, so how long something stays current can be pretty brief.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Who’s putting this into confluence?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As the only? one to re-do an OP for as long as I've been reading SH/HC the trouble is finding someone willing to commit to keeping a good OP up-to-date; nobody wants to do it (myself included, someone please make a new PC building thread), which means even if we got someone to do an annual effortpost on each of the topics annually, they'd inevitably fall out of date by the march of tech. Given that people can hop into the end of any of the threads and get a current answer to whatever question within minutes I don't think its really an issue. A mod edit at the top of old OPs calling out that they're out of date and just to ask in the thread might be the most effective solution.

As for SH/SC as a whole I don't think I've ever seen a mod action here, nor much in the way of anything that would warrant one.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SolusLunes posted:

Megathreads getting a yearly redo seems to be how some boards handle it- wouldn't be a terrible idea to do that sort of thing here. See a megathread whose OP hasn't been updated in a year? Make a new one, IMO.
Our threads don't reach end of life until a minimum of 5 years after creation here SHSC. And because creating new ops are a cost center, we often get more years out of them than that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 10, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bus hustler posted:

It's not anyone's fault if your political/economic views about crypto are in the deep minority on SA. Yes, we should probably be able to cover a few bigger moves around crypto as they relate to the industry, but I literally never ever want to see someone asking how to make $7 a day in the GPU thread again either.

While I agreed with pieces of Paul's post and spunkshui's post, I wholeheartedly agree with this passage more than anything. I think it's fine to say "might be a hiccup but demand for crypto GPUs might collapse soon" without spanking someone, but people who have an ideological bent to crypto or are trying to get ahead in the rat race and improve their financial portfolio through crypto have no loving purpose being in the GPU thread. I complained at IE earlier but it was a delayed reaction to him probing someone for simply saying the price went down that day. That's fine, it's when people post pictures about farms or talk about how to exhaust the heat of dozens of graphics cards mining away or babble about how many days they have left before their graphics card is "free" that I really get tired of.

At best it's akin to posting a picture of your UPS tracking page in the PS5 thread (congratu-loving-lations), and at worst it's like saying that GameStop stock "diamond hands" posts belong in the PS5 thread because they sell PS5s therefore it's relevant. The GPU thread isn't where that sort of thing belongs. There should be somewhere else where that sort of thing belongs, and the people who post in it had better have thick skins because many of us look down on people who evangelize cryptocurrency.

Fauxtool posted:

1/3 gpus I sell goes to a miner

We don't want to hear about it in the GPU thread. Your sales figures are only tangentially a hardware topic. Make a crypto thread in Business & Finance, and try not to be too surprised if it's difficult to discuss from people dogpiling their disapproval, much like how you can't have a landlord advice discussion in BFC either.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’m starting grovercoin. Who’s with me?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Do we get some sort of initial investment reward? I would totally back this nonsense coin

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

My suggestion around it would be to try to create a group of users who can discuss updating ops. I don't know where this group should assemble, but there would be immense value in building up a volunteer/group structure around maintaining any number of things on SA. That way there's not one op who vanishes and the burden doesn't necessarily fall on one person or mod to update either.

Seconding this. Thorough OPs that survey a topic and contain ‘the good shot’ are one of the best parts of SA.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I've only been here a minute - sometimes the GPU thread feels like some of the threads in DnD or other places where some specific argument is banned, everyone knows and secretly wants to keep it going and as such people snipe their arguments backhanded or in other places (like this thread). Specifically there are also several crypto threads already - I think in both YOSPOS and GBS?

I think it's going to come up but don't understand why it becomes the whole of the thread - covid will occasionally come up when we are discussing the scarcity issues but the thread never becomes a covid thread. At worst it feels like people want a space isolated from the existing space to discuss these topics for some unarticulated reason and that makes me very suspect.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m happy the bots mods are doing the needful.

No complaints, high quality content with pretty laid back moderating. That said, I don’t read the GPU thread.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Oh, and if this is more valuable a perspective coming from a total newbie - I have found this place to be pretty chill, and the handful of times people were less chill they were called out for it until they changed their behaviour, and then a mod politely reiterated the consensus without actually needing to intervene. I liked that interaction, I like my modding to reflect community opinion and I thought it did, and towards promoting a healthier culture too. I thought I'd call it out because I approved of it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CoolCab posted:

Specifically there are also several crypto threads already - I think in both YOSPOS and GBS?

In all fairness, it should be noted the GBS thread is a mock thread and anti-crypto, so it's not like a haven for people to discuss mining or whatever. I have no idea what the YOSPOS thread is like, so can't comment on that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In all fairness, it should be noted the GBS thread is a mock thread and anti-crypto, so it's not like a haven for people to discuss mining or whatever. I have no idea what the YOSPOS thread is like, so can't comment on that.

So is the yospos thread. The only mining thread that's been about how to do it was the one I linked earlier and was in SH/SC (not counting GBS from 2011 or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CoolCab posted:

I've only been here a minute - sometimes the GPU thread feels like some of the threads in DnD or other places where some specific argument is banned, everyone knows and secretly wants to keep it going and as such people snipe their arguments backhanded or in other places (like this thread). Specifically there are also several crypto threads already - I think in both YOSPOS and GBS?

I think it's going to come up but don't understand why it becomes the whole of the thread - covid will occasionally come up when we are discussing the scarcity issues but the thread never becomes a covid thread. At worst it feels like people want a space isolated from the existing space to discuss these topics for some unarticulated reason and that makes me very suspect.

COVID is a reason why GPUs are scarce, but half of all GPU supply or whatever isn't being diverted to running cycles on COVID. I am pro-mocking crypto people but I think the thread should be comfortable with discussion that reasonably remains within the bounds of 'use of a GPU'.