Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I loved All New Wolverine, is the Mariko Tamaki series good if I want more?

It's not as good, but it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I loved All New Wolverine, is the Mariko Tamaki series good if I want more?

yes

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Read X-Men Red if you want more.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not as good, but it's only 12 issues so might as well

x-men red is tom taylor's """sequel""" series to ANW tho, and comes before tamaki's run, so read that first

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm so loving excited for the next issue of X-Men when the better Wolverine is coming back.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

So I've been reading largely chronologically DC since post-crisis (just the series I'm interested in). Is it worth doing this or should I also jump ahead and read other series (maybe taking better advantage of DC Infinite). I always just worry about spoilers and spoiling myself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RadicalTranslation posted:

So I've been reading largely chronologically DC since post-crisis (just the series I'm interested in). Is it worth doing this or should I also jump ahead and read other series (maybe taking better advantage of DC Infinite). I always just worry about spoilers and spoiling myself.

Uhm, where are you chronologically? 90s are gonna suck unless you're mostly reading Vertigo books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I like 90s Batman. Don't listen to the haters. Also 90s Green Lantern gave us Kyle Rayner and while his run was uneven I am a sucker for the character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Was Mark Waid written Wally West Flash 90s? that was pretty good. Oh poo poo Grant Morrison JLA is also 90s, there's a lot of good cape books in that era.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's almost like "all 90s comics that aren't vertigo" is a hyperbole.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

It's almost like "all 90s comics that aren't vertigo" is a hyperbole.

I would never, in a million years, be hyperbolic about comic books.

Edit: DC 1 million was pretty good too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RadicalTranslation posted:

If Starman is available, it is my favorite comic of the '90s and probably my favorite comic of all time. It's universally revered for good reason.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

90s DC also gave us Ostrander's Spectre and Martian Manhunter.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m reading some 90s Nightwing. I mean how could you go wrong with Chuck Dixon and Greg Land. I’m sure they are both upstanding people.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Watching Wandavision has got me curious about more of the magic corner of the Marvel universe. I've read a whoooole stack of the old Dr. Strange stuff, what else is out there? Is any of the more modern (say, post-2000) Dr. Strange stuff any good?
Has Marvel done anything for the magic corner of their universe the way that Annihilation was for their cosmic stuff? Who/what else should I check out?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Watching Wandavision has got me curious about more of the magic corner of the Marvel universe. I've read a whoooole stack of the old Dr. Strange stuff, what else is out there? Is any of the more modern (say, post-2000) Dr. Strange stuff any good?
Has Marvel done anything for the magic corner of their universe the way that Annihilation was for their cosmic stuff? Who/what else should I check out?

Most Post 2000 Dr Strange stuff is at least readable. The miniseries The Oath is great and the Dead Girl miniseries was disappointing when I first read it, but that was because I wanted a Dead Girl miniseries and not a Dr. Strange mini that had some Dead Girl.

Fraction's Defenders also heavily features Strange.

Wanda had either a mini or just a short lived series that was well received but I haven't read it. There's some good X-Men stories that deal with Magik, but I don't remember the titles/issue numbers off hand.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Jason Aaron and Chris Bachelo had a 20 issue run on Dr. Strange starting in 2015 that was good. The series continued until covid-19 under different teams, ending with a shortened Mark Waid run, that were of various states of "alright".

Right now, Skottie Young and Humberto Ramos are putting out Strange Academy where a bunch of magic kids are going to school, so like the magic version of X-Men.

I know there's been other, non-Strange titles with the magic users, but I have read any of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery about Kid Loki is really good and mostly about magic, if you're reading on Unlimited or something you'll need to find a reading order because it has a bunch of crossovers.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uthor posted:

Jason Aaron and Chris Bachelo had a 20 issue run on Dr. Strange starting in 2015 that was good. The series continued until covid-19 under different teams, ending with a shortened Mark Waid run, that were of various states of "alright".

Those two runs combined, while alright, taught me that I like Dr. Strange best when he's kicking rear end as the Sorceror Supreme and not brought down "back to basics" in an arc-long faux-deconstruction.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I did like Donny's Strange run a lot, as it gave us Character Find of the 21st Century, Bats.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Donny Cates gave us Bats and "Spider-Man talks to a Spider" during his run. For that alone he has my undying love.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I don't care for his Venom stuff, but he's a good one in my opinion.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I got a Marvel Unlimited subscription a few months back and as someone who's never really gone deep into Marvel comics before I'm absolutely loving it.

I'm all caught up on the available Immortal Hulk issues and I'd like to go back and read some earlier runs seeing as Ewing seems determined to pull all of Hulk-history together in this story (which I love, don't get me wrong). Part of me is tempted to go all the way back to Tales to Astonish and read from there, but are there any recommended runs? I've seen Peter David come up in conversation a lot.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think PAD's run is the only really recommended, "definitive" hulk run, although the Lee and Kirby stuff is certainly worth a look.

e:Oh right, I was going to say Pak's run is good but mostly Hercules, but I forgot he did Planet Hulk too, that's good stuff

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 26, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Greg Pak's run is pretty good. At the very least read Planet Hulk.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there a comp/graphic novel or series where Wolverine is a spy/soldier in his past? I know Origins was a thing, but a lot if it is written by Daniel Way. And well, I don't especially enjoy his work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is there a comp/graphic novel or series where Wolverine is a spy/soldier in his past? I know Origins was a thing, but a lot if it is written by Daniel Way. And well, I don't especially enjoy his work.

His original Claremont series had a few flashback issues. A good Cap/Nick Fury team-up taking place during WW2 pretty early on, but I think it's either a one shot or just a two parter.

It's not set in the past (well, kinda is now, since it was set in the modern day, but written in the 80s) but the original Spider-Man vs Wolverine graphic novel is a bit of a spy story.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What Suicide Squad is good other than the awesome Ostrander stuff?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't read it but I've heard good things about the recent Tom Taylor series and I've yet to read a book of his I didn't like.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Quality goes up and down but Taylor's recent run is probably the most consistent over the 12 issues it runs. Adam Glass's Nu-52 run isn't as bad as people make it out to be but I wouldn't say it is a classic.
Honestly if you want a good "Suicide Squad" comic that is really good and stuff, and don't mind it not being called Suicide Squad pick up Simone's Villains United/Secret Six runs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Honestly if you want a good "Suicide Squad" comic that is really good and stuff, and don't mind it not being called Suicide Squad pick up Simone's Villains United/Secret Six runs.
This is exactly what I would recommend. Plus, Deadshot is a regular team member. Too bad the TPBs are all out of print.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of, if you liked Ostrander's Squad, you should take a look at the Deadshot miniseries he wrote.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Selachian posted:

Speaking of, if you liked Ostrander's Squad, you should take a look at the Deadshot miniseries he wrote.

And if you like Deadshot and Ostrander's mini you should check out Gage's Deadshot mini which is tonally different than Ostrander's but a lot of fun.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I noticed a second book shop nearby has some Ennis Punisher trades available. Are they worth picking up?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
depends on which ones

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
They are these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Marvel-Knight...18435770&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/Marvel-Knight...18435770&sr=8-5

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh, nah

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Oh, nah

Dang. Any particular trades of the run I should look out for in case they get any of those?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally i wouldn't bother with any of the Marvel Knights stuff but if any of his MAX run pops up that would be worth looking into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ennis' Max run is top tier stuff, his Knights stuff is pretty meh